Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of an Adult Child

momofJustin

• Members

Linda - What a beauty Figaro is!!!! I love me some Great Danes. I have a Great Pyrenees named Yogi. He weighs in at a whopping 163 lbs of pure loyalty and wonderfulness. I've had him since he was 7 days old. I hope to one day rescue a Great Dane....truly wonderful dogs! Good luck at the show.

Love the picture of Sean and Rylee Ann.wub.gif

We have a Great Pyrenees too! Brother Bear! We rescued him from the shelter here and just love that big guy crazy! We also have three lab mix girls- Rosie is lab/mystery dog, Daisy is a lab/dane (130 lbs. of goofy), and Matty- lab/boxer. We also have three cats- Pidgie, Mousie and Paddy Bear. All the animals are rescues- I can't let hubby anywhere NEAR the shelter! :D

Robyn

• Replies 68.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ericasmom

• Mermaid Tears

• daveydow1

• shorty16

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
davincidanes

Thank you Susan. On the compliment of Sean and his little Rylee, and about Figaro. I'm looking forward to getting him back in the show ring. He weighs about the same as your Pyr. LOL! I love them, too....... but I like grooming my short-coated dogs a lot better. Hugs!

• Members

Hi all,

Back to pets for a moment? I don't know what I would do without them. We have 5 dogs here.... they have always been the 2nd family after the kids between us (4) have been out of their own. Truthfully, our "Hobby" is dog showing. The danes are always unconditional love and some days, it seem's all there is that still really depend upon me... The reason to get out of bed every day to go on. I've not entered any shows for months but forced myself a few weeks ago.... trying to get my mind off the sadness, and back a little bit to the other things I love. I have 4 days of shows coming up this week, Thursday thru Sunday, so maybe that will make me feel a little better. Here is a picture of me and the 2 1/2 year old black boy whose name is Figaro. He is the one I will be showing this week. He's a big mush of a sweetheart. :)

022612_25Year_Angle.jpg

What a GORGEOUS dog!!

• Members

Linda, what a gorgeous dog, I hope that the shows bring a bit of glimmer to your heart, I do know how hard it is to find that glimmer again. You are early on this road I see by your dates. I am so sorry. Did Sean live in Michigan? My Girl Eri died in Michigan, we live just outside of Chicago. She grew up here but went to Kalamazoo to live with my Son Jon, in 2002, right after high school. Most of her friends were going to colleges all around the world, but Eri was never able to do school well, so she was not going away and she was so sad that everyone she loved was going away. Her bro, my Son JOn, moved to Kalamazoo a year ahead of her, living with friends, working at asnowboard shop and hill, and going part time to school. He is 2.5 years older than she. Anyhow, he asked her if she wanted to live with he and friends to get that chance to move out of our home. She moved and really loved her life there, she was happy. I got to see her on the Sunday before she was struck by an AMTRAK at a broken crossing in Kalamazoo. She lived for 6 days beyond that day. Never awake again, but it gave everyone time to come see her and say goodbye and to see her looking so pretty, not at all what you would think when a car is hit by a train. I feel her presence in many ways, but boy those first few months, and that whole first year were the hardest times. I wish you well as you find your way on this journey. I hope that you will have plenty of opportunity to spend with that gorgeous grandgirl.

When you feel like it, let us know more about Sean, his life, his joys, and whatever you feel comfy sharing.

Peace one day,

dee

• Members
davincidanes

Thanks Robyn... He's a big baby. :) Tends to make me smile just a little when I'm feeling sad. :)

• Members

Well, since we are bragging about pets! I have an adoradog named Sammy. He is a maltipoo, and everyone loves him. He whines and jumps up to hug me if I cry. If I am sad, he stays in bed with me all day and comforts me. He loves me and knows when I need him.

He is my pal.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150582647005237&set=t.628385236&type=3&theater

• Members

Linda ~ You son is one handsome man and that grandbaby is so cute. I have to agree, the dogs are unconditional. Muttley might just make it to Figaro's knee :)

Love sharing our pets, babies etc..

Off to the 'are you still crazy' doc today... Wish me luck B)

• Members

HAPPY HEAVENLY BIRTHDAY, DEAR STEPHEN.

Betty----Thinking of you today. May Stephen's sweet spirit lift your

heart & soul.

• Members

Artina------I'm so glad to see your post ! I certainly do remember when I first came to

BI, and all your wonderful words of hope & comfort

to all on this site. You would advise grieving hearts to use the tools that they could

glean from BI and other places, and disregard those tools that did not particularly help.

So right------the pain of losing a child/children always remains with us.

Though somewhat softer after the years,.....the acute pain can re-visit

when we least expect it. Peace to you.

Karen----Good to see your post, friend, and thanks for your kind words. You're

right-----we are all on this journey together, and not feeling like we're alone

is one big thing that helps us to keep taking those steps forward.

Davey&Lisasmom, Sherry

• Members
2 Angels in Heaven

HAPPY HEAVENLY BIRTHDAY, DEAR STEPHEN!

Betty thinking of you today and always!

HAPPY HEAVENLY BIRTHDAY, DEAR CHAD!

I hope you blessed your family with your presents.

• Members
2 Angels in Heaven

I'm happy to see things have settled down. I was very saddened by all that transpired and the thought of retreating once again from BI. So many of the comments written on the integrity of this site are so true! I came here right after the death of my two daughters and contribute coming here with making it through and surviving the lowest point of my life. Everyone of you, that spoke to me at that time are to thank for helping me through the toughest times. I love you all and feel personally connected to each and everyone of you!

Susannah, I hope you come back soon! You are one of the reasons, I came back and started posting again! I will sincerely miss your words of wisdom and point of view on things!

• Members

Dear Indigos

The outpouring of well wishes on Stephen's Birthday filled my heart with warmth and joy.. Knowing that hen has been remembered on his Birthday makes a world of difference Of coarse you knew that and that is why each of you extended your heart to me.

I thank God every day for helping me find this Indigo Family . I did so when all was dark and disturbing.

I remember my first post , how sad and lost I was. --I had medical problems and did not want to even live never mind take care of myself. Slowly but surely this Indigo family kept hope alive and lifted my sadness and pain with compassion empathy and of coarse love .

I really feel the Special Bond I have with each of you. I know the sadness and the deep pain we all suffer and . I applaud all of us who reach out and support each other. I love the pictures of the puppies and the intimate feelings expressed.

Thank You everyone for allowing me to share my " Rememories." here. It rally is a special home

Dee, Sherry, Carol, Claudia, Trudi, Kathy, Colleen, Betsy, Leah, Rhonda Karen, Amy, Leah, Kate, Susan, Susannah, JDMOM, Lori, Ronnie, Lorri,, Dianne,Linda, Maddy, Michele, Kevin'smom, ,Rachel'sMom and any Indigo I may have missed Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kindness to me.

.Each message touched my heart deeply.

I feel included, understood and connected to a very Special Group of people. What a true Blessing you each are to me

post-275735-0-98792400-1330905390_thumb.

• Members
davincidanes

Linda, what a gorgeous dog, I hope that the shows bring a bit of glimmer to your heart, I do know how hard it is to find that glimmer again. You are early on this road I see by your dates. I am so sorry. Did Sean live in Michigan? My Girl Eri died in Michigan, we live just outside of Chicago. She grew up here but went to Kalamazoo to live with my Son Jon, in 2002, right after high school. Most of her friends were going to colleges all around the world, but Eri was never able to do school well, so she was not going away and she was so sad that everyone she loved was going away. Her bro, my Son JOn, moved to Kalamazoo a year ahead of her, living with friends, working at asnowboard shop and hill, and going part time to school. He is 2.5 years older than she. Anyhow, he asked her if she wanted to live with he and friends to get that chance to move out of our home. She moved and really loved her life there, she was happy. I got to see her on the Sunday before she was struck by an AMTRAK at a broken crossing in Kalamazoo. She lived for 6 days beyond that day. Never awake again, but it gave everyone time to come see her and say goodbye and to see her looking so pretty, not at all what you would think when a car is hit by a train. I feel her presence in many ways, but boy those first few months, and that whole first year were the hardest times. I wish you well as you find your way on this journey. I hope that you will have plenty of opportunity to spend with that gorgeous grandgirl.

When you feel like it, let us know more about Sean, his life, his joys, and whatever you feel comfy sharing.

Peace one day,

dee

Thank you, Dee... and the others that have commented on Figaro. I hope that the dog shows will take my mind off my grief a little bit this week. They will be long days, so tiring me out will be a good thing as well.

I am from Traverse City, Michigan and all of my family was born and raised there. About 6 years ago, I grew weary of the long cold winters and sold my home and moved to TN. The family was all still there, except Sean, who moved to Las Vegas to pursue his music. Over the past five years, he has spent a couple periods of a few months long here with me, he went for an 8 month course at the Midwest Mission Bible Training Center in Iowa, and eventually went back to Traverse City, where the rest of our entire family is including his dad, sister, daughter and grandparents. It was where all of us felt he needed to be. His dad and I have been divorced for 19 years. He was living with his father there at the time that he passed away from drug and alcohol overdose. He fought the demons of addiction all of his life with rehab several times since the time he was 17 years old. It didn't change the fact that he was an awesome and talented young man with a great love of his family and he inspired many people to pursue their dreams during his short lifetime. I miss him like crazy! What is real hard for me now is that I am in TN, and although I am with a wonderful fiance' that I met 3 years ago, there are no immediate family members here to share the grieving with. I spend a lot of time on the phone and on Facebook with my parents, daughter, the other grand-children, my sister and brothers. Cash - my fiance', sometimes gets very frustrated witnessing my pain. That's one of the biggest reasons I come here. You all understand... he has empathy, but doesn't get the full picture. Oh well, it's okay...... he is as supportive as he can be and I am very grateful for that. I want to thank all of you for being here for me.

~Linda

• Members

Linda, I love Traverse City, my kids and former husband and I used to go up there every summer or so. Grand Haven, Ludington, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and Traverse. Two years ago, my husband and I went up to Traverse City. It was lovely revisiting the area after so long a time. I love walking through town near the lake, the breezes so sweet. Yes, I imagine the winters are somewhat more difficult than Chicago, more snow and colder up north.

It must be difficult being away from your family and so I am so glad that we can be here for you. My husband never had kids, so marrying him when ERi was 13, we all know how not pretty that can be, and Jonathan was 15, equally stormy age, was an real eye opener for him. He and jOnathan get on quite well, they love one another. Jonathan lost his Dad to leukemia nearly three years ago. Eri was never John (husband) biggest fan-- though as she got older she and John found ways to communicate and appreciate each other. When she died, he witnessed what parents do when this devastation happens. I am sure he felt on the outside a times. He became the point man for our lawyer as he has th ekind of brain that retains info, details and understood all of the legal jumble, and he delivered the info to Mike, (former husband) and Jon and me. It kept him busy and feeling useful while we all grieved. He grieved too, but you know it is different.

There is nothing easy about grief, but there is the necessity of it. Some try to avoid it, go around it, think that they are through it in no time, when in fact, the only way through it is really through it. I think that the dog shows are a great way for you to return to something you love, and yes, the energy level is different, grief is exhausting, so please take care, drink plenty of fluids, eat small high protein meals, take some vitamins to battle against fatigue and because our immune system gets bashed by grief. Take good care because that beautiful Boy of yours wants so much for you to live a good life.

Thanks for sharing with us,

sleep well,

• Members
JD's Mom, Becky

I am ashamed to say that I take care of my pets, but don't have the interest in them as I did before. We lost two of our cats, not long after Jared left us, and we like to think that they are keeping him company. I am down to 2 boxer dogs, mother and son, which I used to show, but have not much interest in anything like that right now.

This was created from a picture Jared (JD) took of himself.

med_gallery_297831_136_38446.jpg

• Members

Becky,It is okay. I called poor Skyler....orphan dog.....for the longest time after Rachael died. I did not want him. Long story. I know that sounds terrible, thank goodness the poor little fellow did not understand English! Many people offered to take him, but Rachael, I knew would want us to raise him. In time he became the apple of our eye. We would eventually cling to him because he was Rachael's. Her brothers adored him. We were so grateful Rachael left him for us. My husband has had to adjust with allergies and all. But Becky, you are not in a maternal state of mind towards your pets and I would think that was normal right now. Pets usually require some mothering. The mother in me died for a very long time.Also....I love the picture of JD. Very beautiful portrait. I am drawn to it from an artistic standpoint and perhaps would like to paint or draw it. If I ever am able to do it, I will send it to you :-)Also, I am getting more into the digital aspect of things in my classes. Are you using photoshop and is your pc a Mac? I am wondering because I am considering the cost of getting a Mac, although they say that photoshop is fine on a regular pc. Love,Maddy

• Members
JD's Mom, Becky

Thanks, Maddy! I am using photoshop on a windows 7 platform. I have a real old version of photoshop, but have asked hubby to get me a newer one, that I can do more with. I find it very relaxing to spend time trying new filters, etc., on the program.

• Members

That is good to know. The cost of a Mac is astronomical, but it is what is mainly used for graphic design. However my prof was stressing to me that I didn't have to get a Mac. But the picture is so beautiful, really. Rachael also took numerous pictures of herself, leaving us with so many wonderful pictures. One of the advantages with the kids with today's technology I know. He was such a handsome young man and his eyes are beautiful I truly mean that about doing the portrait ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :-)Love,Maddy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~BTW is your daughter in college yet? Because you can get the student price on the photoshop if she is a student, you can use her student info to purchase it.

• Members

My Sammy..........

In case the FB link did not work for you. He is the sweetist pal anyone could have.

post-297724-0-67527600-1330916536_thumb.

• Members

Just got home from a long day and wanted to stop by to wish Stephen a Happy Heavenly Birthday.

Wishing you love Betty....

• Members
Jilly's mom

Happy Birthday Dear Stephen!

Happy Birthday Dear Chad!

Bless your families with tender mercy gifts today please!

• Members

I am ashamed to say that I take care of my pets, but don't have the interest in them as I did before. We lost two of our cats, not long after Jared left us, and we like to think that they are keeping him company. I am down to 2 boxer dogs, mother and son, which I used to show, but have not much interest in anything like that right now.

This was created from a picture Jared (JD) took of himself.

med_gallery_297831_136_38446.jpg

He has the most beautiful eyes!

• Members

Hey Sammy you are one really cute pooch.

Driving back from the 'are you still crazy doc' got hit with two tracks. One was played over 17yrs ago at the funeral of a young boy killed in a car accident. He went to school with my kids. He was the front seat passenger, first year apprentice. His coffin was adorned with Nike logo's. It was carried in a side car arrangement on a Harley.

The other is by the band LIVE. When I turned 40 (yes I'm old) Mike took me to see them play LIVE. It was an amazing night, one I will never forget. I can't remember hearing this, but the words resonated with today as I daydreamed of my boy.

Try to black it out, but it plays again

When it's real, feelings hard to conceal

Can't imagine all the pain I feel

Give anything to hear half your breath (half your breath)

I know you still living your life, after death

Every step I take, every move I make

Every single day, every time I pray

I'll be missing you

Thinkin of the day, when you went away

What a life to take, what a bond to break

I'll be missing you

I don't need no one to tell me about heaven

I look at my daughter, and I believe.

I don't need no proof when it comes to God and truth

I can see the sunset and I perceive

I believe he does look into his daughters eyes and sees heaven.... B)

• Members

Trudi, I loved the song on the first link. I needed it right now. Will be listening to it again for sure. Could not get the second link to open though.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~ Maddy - Rachael's mom & 5 others also

• Members
davincidanes

For all of the grieving parents out there. Love you all, and so did my son, Sean. Here is one of the gifts that he left the world. A song that he wrote, sings, and performs all of the instruments on.

He speaks poignantly of his faith in God - He wants all of us to "BELIEVE" that God is all we need. Have a wonderful day, my friends. ~Linda

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_9868102

• Members

Linda, is the song that comes up your Son playing and singing? I ask because a song comes on automatically when I open the site you sent, but the piano video is up and I also hit the play button for that and still the other song played through it and I was unsure. Obviously your Boy is an amazing talent, that piano! But if that is also his playing the other song that bled through, WOW. I see he played many instruments from the string of photos that comes with yourpost. How wonderful a gift, and I am grateful taht you have his music as a touchstone to him.

Trudi, that song is the one that Greg used as the backdrop to the video he made. That video still causes me to weep, I love it so. It has always touched a place in me that makes my heart smile and weep all at once. Perfect song for what the missing is. We will be missing them always.

Maddie, remember that with those steps forward before feeling these steps back you are still moving forward. It does not feel as though you are right now, but you are. When we begin to move forward we lose sight sometimes of how hitting that wall, that plateau is so painful. Take heart, you will move again. What I found after I was two years on the grief path was that when I got slammed there was usually something I needed from that place so far below the surface of life, a nugget of some sort to learn from while down in the very darkest corners. We stay down for a lesser time as we go forward, sometimes we just need to go there for reasons we sometimes don't know, and sometimes do and gain knowledge to go forward again.

• Members
davincidanes

Hi Dee, Yes, I checked the link... the song that opens immediately is "Your All I Need". He wrote, sings, and performs all of the instruments as well as did all of the production himself. He made that recording in August. The piano video that also shows on the page, is a classical piece that he composed close to the same time. At that time, he had not given it a name. When listening to it a few days after his funeral, I named it

"Sean's Rhaposty". Thank you so much.......he was incredibly gifted in music. He played piano, guitar, and drums. In the bands that he's been in, he was a fabulous drummer. There are videos on that site of him doing that as well. I sure do miss the music that he brought into my life, but I am eternally grateful for the videos and recordings he left for all of us.

• Members

Linda, saw that parts of Tennessee had hail falling down, are you there in the hail or are you enjoying something less dramatic? Good luck in the shows this week. Thanks for sharing the music, we find that many of our Angels played music or were just incredibly music lovers. The universal language of music ties all together.

Happily I report from home, Casmir Pulaski Day and a day off with actual sunshine. Cold but sunshine nonetheless adn it has been most missed for 5 days. March, it is said, is the month with the least amount of sunlight, at least here in the midwest. It is usually quite dark and rainy/snowy. I am wallowing in sunlight today and made to do some cleaning and definitely grading papers.

• Members

Linda, All I have been able to open is the video of his piano playing. The song does not play, or show up. I would love to be able to hear that also. I am on my iPad and do not know if that is the problem. Is there another way to access it?

I am so impressed with his talent. Rachael played piano and violin. When she was younger the teachers would give her a hard time about her not reading the music and they would fuss about it and tell me. Apparently Rachael was very gifted, because she made me laugh when she confessed to me as an adult that she never did learn to read it, even after she was older. She told me that if she could trick the teacher into playing just a portion of it, she could then play it by ear. She said that about 90% of her playing was done by ear. This amazed me as Rachael played very well.

I can really appreciate the years of hard work, and determination it must have taken Sean to play so beautifully. What a beautiful legacy of his music.

Maddy

• Members

Maddy, I apologize, I keep misspelling your name and Robyn's name as well.

• Members
westleysmom

Hey all, just read 6 pages of posts trying to catch up. There was some bad weather around us here in TN on Friday, but missed my area for the most part.

Happy Belated Birthday, Stephen! Betty, I'm sorry I just didn't get on at all this weekend. I hope that you are well and loved the picture of you holding baby Stephen.

Leah-Your words about how family sometimes step on each other's toes are so true and I'm so sorry that you know that from experience. Hugs

Claudia-I couldn't find your post, but saw Joey's picture, so I know you are there somewhere. I hope you are doing okay.

Just a hard weekend for me, at the cemetery yesterday spent the whole time crying and saying I'm sorry. There is stuff going on in my family that is very hard to accept (not my little family, my bigger family) and about which I am helpless to do anything but watch. It has made me very emotional and the helplessness reminds me of how it was when Westley left us. I think of you all everyday and hope that you find something that brings a smile in each one.

• Members

After many computer crashes.. I just want to say sorry that I didn't get online.. I missed saying Happy Birthday to Stephen.. Betty, I hope your day was spent in the presence of your angel as I wish all your days are.

Thinking of you all..and of all your angels

• Members

Rhonda, I am so sorry that that helpless feeling is with you, we are dealing with some similar stuff...won't go into it now but praying for a nephew big time. I have been nervous about him knowing he is going through a lot. I send you hope, and that is hard to feel when we feel without any say so or power to assist.

• Members

Trudi: I have not listened to that song in a very, very long time. It is truly great, and depending on how I am feeling whether it brings me to tears or not. I guess I must be feeling vulnerable (well, I know I am, I don't just think) right now, cause it brought me to tears. Good tears, though. Tears that wash sweet memories into my heart. Also, thank you for the pics you shared, they were great.

Maddy: I am sorry you are feeling so far down right now. Dee is right, though...those steps back tend to come along, but we always have what we've gained from the steps forward to help us on those that take us back, to make it a little easier to start forward again. I pray your forward steps come along soon and carry you to a new level, one that will allow your heart to chase the monster away again.

Linda: Sean's music is truly beautiful...so gifted. I am so glad that you have those treasures to hold onto. Thank you so much for sharing.

Dee: So glad you are off for the day and have the sunshine to surround you. We haven't seen the sun much here, either, but I think it is supposed to clear up later this week. It was warm on Saturday and we had some snow melt, but there is still a good bit out there. We really need it though, with no snow all winter, there is not going to be much in the ground to prepare for spring and summer.

Thank you everyone for sharing your pets and stories and pics of them. I love hearing the stories and looking at the pictures, but I am severely allergic to pets, though have on occasion had a cat here. (it seems the long-haired ones are more tolerable to me) The last one we had was with us for 7 years and we had to put her down because she had cancer. We really enjoyed her. My daughter, Cathi, is a rescue home for animals, but hasn't had any in the last several months. But, when I go to her house, I can't stay very long before the allergies drive me out. Since she hasn't had any additional ones in several months, I can stay there a little longer. She does have pets of her own, though, so eventually it gets to me. I do wish I could have a cat; they can be company, but of course, some can be so aloof that they aren't much company at all.

This is a big week for us; on Friday we go back to the Cancer Center for a re-evaluation of Mike's progress with the radiation. We will be meeting with the team that is directing his care. If the radiation shrunk the tumor enough, he may not have to do the induction (heavy) chemo, and they may do the surgery soon. Or, they may say that they still feel he can't handle it. Or they may say that he does have to do the induction chemo and "we will see after that." We actually don't even know what to wish for at this point, other than that whatever happens will be what is going to result in Mike's being able to rid himself of this cancer. At any rate, we are praying, hoping and just trying to take one minute at a time at this point. He does look good, though, better than he has in weeks. He has the pink color back to his face, the gray palor is gone. He is a little more energetic and actually eating small bits now and again. Doing better with the physical therapy and it has been increased to three times a week. YAY AND YAY AGAIN FOR THAT!!! :rolleyes: We rely mostly on the protein drinks to keep his nutrition up, though, but will be checking with his kidney doctor today to see how long we can do that. They provide almost twice the protein he is supposed to have because of his kidney function, but the cancer treatment team has said that we need to focus on the more important issues, and though the kidney is important, right now dealing with the pancreatic cancer is priority, and if it is necessary we could go to dialysis the work for the kidney. Mike's spirits are still up, but as he gets closer to Friday and the meeting and re-evaluation, he is getting more nervous. The surgery is extremely risky, and he has been told that, because they want him to know up front what he is facing. They said that even healthy, younger individuals can take up to 3 months for recovery and he will definitely take longer because of his other issues. But, as I said, we are trying to take one thing at a time, and keeping our prayers and hope up.

Our oldest daughter, Kim, was admitted to the hospital this past Thursday and has been quite ill. (for those new to this site, Kim has Crohn's disease and very nearly died 6 years ago when they did an ileostomy and she wound up with a serious infection because they had incorrectly inserted a stomach drainage tube. It took her over three months to recover enough to be able to go out on her own. This was the January before young Mike was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer in May) We weren't able to talk with her for the first couple of days because she was in so much pain. We finally learned that they think she is having a severe pancreatitis attack, combined with a reaction to Bactrim. Since she and her partner are not married, they were not able to discuss with him any details. Kim was too out of it to be able to sign the paperwork for permission for him to talk to the doctor, and when she was a little more cognizant and they finally got the paperwork from her, they misplaced it and by that time she was out of it again with the pain meds. She couldn't tak with us on the phone, either, because she couldn't stay awake and be cognizant enough to use the phone. So, Matt, and us were not able to really get any info til Saturday night. All we knew up til that time was that her labs were way over the top, the reading they were following was 2,000 and normally it is 40-60. This is the reading for the health of the pancreas. I think if we hadn't been able to hear anything when we finally did, we would have flown down there. (she lives in Virginia, we live in NH) We did finally talk to her on the phone yesterday, but she was very weak and sounded very tired. They did start her on clear liquids last night and they hope that they can progress to soft foods today, starting with applesauce. She is feeling less anxious now because they finally called in her surgeon who had done the ileostomy (and a doctor she has been seeing for 15 years). Unfortunately, Kim lost her health insurance last year because her husband (who tried to kill her on 07) is in prison and got his military retirement benefits cancelled because of his incarceration, leaving his family without any medical insurance at all. (wow, this sounds like a soap opera!) Anyway, today I am going to talk with her and ask her to complete a form allowing me to speak with her doctor so I can have more up to the minute information. It is scary when she has been through so much, been so very ill in the past, and we can't get information about her condition. The stress of worrying about her is heavy. :(

I did take a break on Sunday and went out with Cathi for lunch and we had a nice visit. I always enjoy being with her. We never seem to run out of things to talk about, and we try very hard to talk only about good stuff when we are out for a get-away. There's plenty of other time to talk about the serious stuff. We had a good lunch and talked about her recent promotion at work. I can't even remember if I posted about that, but she did get a promotion at work and though it is a very different type of work (library techincian-editor) she is looking forward to it. So, we had a couple of hours of freedom and re-energizing. B)

Mike and I were able to spend time with Damon this weekend. He is such a love, and he really lifts your spirits being around him. He and his papa played with legos for 2-3 hours while he was here and they had a really good time. When we went to pick him up, he had on his "Boba Fett" suit, helmet and all. His mom shared some pics with us that she had just taken. She called it "Even bounty hunters have to do laundry." I have to leave now for a dr's appt, but I will post them when I get back, and post them in order so you can get the humor of it. We were so glad he was able to come and spend most of the day. :)

• Members
davincidanes

Thanks to everyone about Sean's music. For those having trouble opening the songs, go here to his Reverbnation Music Page

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/seandevincentmusic

There is a list of his songs......Your All I Need is the one I tried to post individually earlier this morning that is Christan Rock style about his faith. Click on the arrow icon next to it to play.

Toward the center of the page there is a video of him playing piano. Just above it, there is a link that says "See all 9 Videos". You can go there to see him playing piano, guitar, and drums, as well

as a couple of videos from when he played drums for Sammy Hagar in Las Vegas for the grand opening of his Cabo Wabo resteraunt there.

Hugs to all who are on this journey of loss with me.

~Linda

• Members

just thought that this article will make sense to our pet lovers here. A dog who is back home after a trauma for the whole family.

sorry it would not post, but if you look it up on google, a dog survived 53 days in the desert after a car crash that sadly killed the driver and critically injured the driver's wife. Once the woman got out of the hospital, she began searching for the Sheltie, there had been many sightings but the dog was skittish since the accident. It was seen around the accident sight by several folks. It lost over 20 pounds but survived and is home with the woman helping her immensely as she grieves her husband. She spoke about the unconditional love she and the dog share.

Heartwarming and bittersweet which is something we all know.

• Members

heres the pics I was going to post earlier (don't know why they are posting at the top)

post-269798-0-13495700-1330987532_thumb.

post-269798-0-00596000-1330987533_thumb.

post-269798-0-85173300-1330987533_thumb.

post-269798-0-40641400-1330987534_thumb.

post-269798-0-97058600-1330987534_thumb.

post-269798-0-68291600-1330987535_thumb.

Rhonda, Leah and Dee: didn't see your post til now. I had to leave right away after my post, so just hit the send button and left the computer. Rhonda so sorry that you are having problems. Prayers that solutions will come soon. Leah, sorry for your computer problems. Good to see your sweet JaBoa's face, sending love and prayers to you. Dee: Such a bittersweet story about the dog and the woman who lost her husband in the accident. I am glad that they were reunited, and that the dog is such a comfort to her.

Still haven't been able to talk to Kim today, so don't know how she is doing. Seh was supposed to start soft foods (I.e, applesauce, pudding) today and see how it goes. I will let you all know when I hear something.

• Members

Linda,Thank you. Thank you Sean. Ireally enjoyed Your All I Need. The drum solo didn't stream fastenough on my side though I will try later.

Carol,continued prayers for your entire family. I;m thinking of your roadtrip last summer or was it fall? It sounds like you needed therest,relaxation and people connection before the major events, healthconcerns and worry. Summers is on the way. May you have a theopportunity to rejuvenate well before summer arrives .

Dee, A nice sunny day to enjoy. I don't suppose you went for a walk?

Sherry,it;s good to see Davey's smile today. I was out very early last weekand spotted a raccoon,( right before dawn) climbing a small tree andup and over the garage roof. The next morning he was on the roof. Ithink he is after the birds that have made a winter home from a knotof branches. They are wise to him though. Another “first” for me.

Ronnie,Sammy is super cute.

Linda,Figaro is beautiful.

Ourdog , Cole,went to heaven. She was a black Lab and she was waitingfor Rich. I wrote his eulogy, my nephew read it aloud for me. In thepredawn hours I wrote of my boy, I could and can see Rich walkingaway from me, his hair golden in the sun, across a familiar fieldCole is running to meet Rich. Cole could smile and she was smilingthen.

Diane,I wanted to get back to you about your husbands hobby, and I shouldhave been there to star gaze. We have some light pollution here but Iwas able to view planets that night.

AfterI woke up and found my self standing in the middle of my living roomthe night Rich died, not knowing how or why I ended up there in theliving room. I went outside and looked up. And I always will.

Lastfew days have been kind of rough. Sometimes I think I can change thescenery but the fact will always remain.

• Members

Hi Indigos

Leah and Rhonda Thank you so much for your kind remembrances of Stephen I feel so Blessed to have this Indigo Family

Linda Sean ws a talented young man Thank you for sharing his music

Carol and Rhonda I am so very sorry to read of the added burden to your hearts. I will light my Candle for your intentions.

I had a high Mass said in Stephen's honor yesterday It felt so right and powerful Thanks to all of my Indigo Family I have recovered enough to"Celebrate his most important day"

Dee It certainly is a poignant story about the dog . I do no remember if I shared this story here or not but it does not matter as you are all so gracious and I can tell it again. One day when Stephen was about 3 or 4 we were walking by a Collie that had been tied to a post outside of a store He looked at the dog and then at me and said, with huge eyes: :"Mom I just saw God in the eyes of that dog" How innocent and sweet

Love when those re memories come.

Carol I certainly missed seeing my little Damon here lately Beautiful pictures Such s grown up young boy so sweet and innocent Thanks

Leah Hope your family is doing Okay and that you continue to take good care of yourself.

Maddy Dee is right One moment at a time is the best e can do. One day we find it has added up to a small victory.

Sherry It is great seeing Davey's handsome face I do hope you are getting that garden ready

Trudi Loved all the pictures of Sir Mutley and the music did make me smile and cry

Betsy Our posts over lappped It is nice seeing Rich's smile and listen to you share. I have been going to So Jersey each week and walking the beach. I have taken to "Feeding the Sea Gulls " on the beach. They have become so use to me that they easily take the bread out of my hands. Each time that happens I remember you and Rich on the Ferry and the seagull attack!! B) Sweet memories. : :o

I cannot remember all the other pups and their names . Some so big , powerful and beautiful and some so small and precious.

They cheered my heart. Thank you all

Dear Indigos I must run and please know you are each in my prayers each night.

• Members

Hello Dear Indigo's - just stopping in to say hello to all and sure wish I had the energy to catch up with all but it would take me days to read all the posts.....been a while since I have stopped in....seems like I have so much to do with work, Tavian, homework, dinners, cleaning and just every day life that I have no time for me.....not complaining, just saying. Carol, please know that I am keeping you and your family in my prayers and sending huge hugs.... To everyone else here I think of you often and keep you all in my prayers.. Missing my Jessica alot but that is not unusual, I still have good days and really bad days after 6 years and I know I always will so I deal with it, tears flow and my heart hurts - I am thankful every day for Tavian's smile... Love, Peace and Strength, Kathy.....forever Jessica's mom...

• Members

Hi Kathy, good to see Jess smiling out at the world, she is smiling out right now, at you and Barry and Tav.

Carol, the health woes of Kim are very concerning, I do hope that you hear some good news this evening and that each day she gets stronger and all the way well. So many adversities to deal with...how are the girls when their Mom is in the hospital? Give Mike a hug too, as he readies himself as best he can for the news to lead to the next step...I hope it is the path of least intervention (due to his having conquered so much) and the most healing. Sounds like he really is making progress. Damon surely brought some of that color to his cheeks, what a little doll boy. His coloring may be different than Mike's but boy does he look like him. That set of his jaw, those eyes, and of course, the outfit! Make sure that you take good care of you while so much is going on and can deplete you.

Betty, I am so glad that your day, that special day yesterday was filled with goodness. I am happy that you had a mass in Stephen's honor. I love that story of Stephen saying that he saw God in that dog's eyes. How perfectly wonderful. And a collie to boot, which was our dog, Mazzy, Eri's birthday gift when she turned 8. I loved Maze.

Betsy, yep, sometimes the sorrow is the scenery no matter our readjusting, sometimes we see it all before us and we feel our sadness through and through.

• Members

Maizy also spelled( Mazy, Massey) and Eri...

Stormy and Eri...

post-261428-0-78471800-1330997479_thumb.

post-261428-0-16270400-1330997501_thumb.

• Members

Maddy, I apologize, I keep misspelling your name and Robyn's name as well.

LOL Dee! You can always call me what my brother (STILL) calls me- Tweet!

Robyn

• Members

Trudi: I have not listened to that song in a very, very long time. It is truly great, and depending on how I am feeling whether it brings me to tears or not. I guess I must be feeling vulnerable (well, I know I am, I don't just think) right now, cause it brought me to tears. Good tears, though. Tears that wash sweet memories into my heart. Also, thank you for the pics you shared, they were great.

Maddy: I am sorry you are feeling so far down right now. Dee is right, though...those steps back tend to come along, but we always have what we've gained from the steps forward to help us on those that take us back, to make it a little easier to start forward again. I pray your forward steps come along soon and carry you to a new level, one that will allow your heart to chase the monster away again.

Linda: Sean's music is truly beautiful...so gifted. I am so glad that you have those treasures to hold onto. Thank you so much for sharing.

Dee: So glad you are off for the day and have the sunshine to surround you. We haven't seen the sun much here, either, but I think it is supposed to clear up later this week. It was warm on Saturday and we had some snow melt, but there is still a good bit out there. We really need it though, with no snow all winter, there is not going to be much in the ground to prepare for spring and summer.

Thank you everyone for sharing your pets and stories and pics of them. I love hearing the stories and looking at the pictures, but I am severely allergic to pets, though have on occasion had a cat here. (it seems the long-haired ones are more tolerable to me) The last one we had was with us for 7 years and we had to put her down because she had cancer. We really enjoyed her. My daughter, Cathi, is a rescue home for animals, but hasn't had any in the last several months. But, when I go to her house, I can't stay very long before the allergies drive me out. Since she hasn't had any additional ones in several months, I can stay there a little longer. She does have pets of her own, though, so eventually it gets to me. I do wish I could have a cat; they can be company, but of course, some can be so aloof that they aren't much company at all.

This is a big week for us; on Friday we go back to the Cancer Center for a re-evaluation of Mike's progress with the radiation. We will be meeting with the team that is directing his care. If the radiation shrunk the tumor enough, he may not have to do the induction (heavy) chemo, and they may do the surgery soon. Or, they may say that they still feel he can't handle it. Or they may say that he does have to do the induction chemo and "we will see after that." We actually don't even know what to wish for at this point, other than that whatever happens will be what is going to result in Mike's being able to rid himself of this cancer. At any rate, we are praying, hoping and just trying to take one minute at a time at this point. He does look good, though, better than he has in weeks. He has the pink color back to his face, the gray palor is gone. He is a little more energetic and actually eating small bits now and again. Doing better with the physical therapy and it has been increased to three times a week. YAY AND YAY AGAIN FOR THAT!!! :rolleyes: We rely mostly on the protein drinks to keep his nutrition up, though, but will be checking with his kidney doctor today to see how long we can do that. They provide almost twice the protein he is supposed to have because of his kidney function, but the cancer treatment team has said that we need to focus on the more important issues, and though the kidney is important, right now dealing with the pancreatic cancer is priority, and if it is necessary we could go to dialysis the work for the kidney. Mike's spirits are still up, but as he gets closer to Friday and the meeting and re-evaluation, he is getting more nervous. The surgery is extremely risky, and he has been told that, because they want him to know up front what he is facing. They said that even healthy, younger individuals can take up to 3 months for recovery and he will definitely take longer because of his other issues. But, as I said, we are trying to take one thing at a time, and keeping our prayers and hope up.

Our oldest daughter, Kim, was admitted to the hospital this past Thursday and has been quite ill. (for those new to this site, Kim has Crohn's disease and very nearly died 6 years ago when they did an ileostomy and she wound up with a serious infection because they had incorrectly inserted a stomach drainage tube. It took her over three months to recover enough to be able to go out on her own. This was the January before young Mike was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer in May) We weren't able to talk with her for the first couple of days because she was in so much pain. We finally learned that they think she is having a severe pancreatitis attack, combined with a reaction to Bactrim. Since she and her partner are not married, they were not able to discuss with him any details. Kim was too out of it to be able to sign the paperwork for permission for him to talk to the doctor, and when she was a little more cognizant and they finally got the paperwork from her, they misplaced it and by that time she was out of it again with the pain meds. She couldn't tak with us on the phone, either, because she couldn't stay awake and be cognizant enough to use the phone. So, Matt, and us were not able to really get any info til Saturday night. All we knew up til that time was that her labs were way over the top, the reading they were following was 2,000 and normally it is 40-60. This is the reading for the health of the pancreas. I think if we hadn't been able to hear anything when we finally did, we would have flown down there. (she lives in Virginia, we live in NH) We did finally talk to her on the phone yesterday, but she was very weak and sounded very tired. They did start her on clear liquids last night and they hope that they can progress to soft foods today, starting with applesauce. She is feeling less anxious now because they finally called in her surgeon who had done the ileostomy (and a doctor she has been seeing for 15 years). Unfortunately, Kim lost her health insurance last year because her husband (who tried to kill her on 07) is in prison and got his military retirement benefits cancelled because of his incarceration, leaving his family without any medical insurance at all. (wow, this sounds like a soap opera!) Anyway, today I am going to talk with her and ask her to complete a form allowing me to speak with her doctor so I can have more up to the minute information. It is scary when she has been through so much, been so very ill in the past, and we can't get information about her condition. The stress of worrying about her is heavy. :(

I did take a break on Sunday and went out with Cathi for lunch and we had a nice visit. I always enjoy being with her. We never seem to run out of things to talk about, and we try very hard to talk only about good stuff when we are out for a get-away. There's plenty of other time to talk about the serious stuff. We had a good lunch and talked about her recent promotion at work. I can't even remember if I posted about that, but she did get a promotion at work and though it is a very different type of work (library techincian-editor) she is looking forward to it. So, we had a couple of hours of freedom and re-energizing. B)

Mike and I were able to spend time with Damon this weekend. He is such a love, and he really lifts your spirits being around him. He and his papa played with legos for 2-3 hours while he was here and they had a really good time. When we went to pick him up, he had on his "Boba Fett" suit, helmet and all. His mom shared some pics with us that she had just taken. She called it "Even bounty hunters have to do laundry." I have to leave now for a dr's appt, but I will post them when I get back, and post them in order so you can get the humor of it. We were so glad he was able to come and spend most of the day. :)

Carol,

I'm so sorry about Kim, and hope that she will be better soon. I'm glad that Mike is feeling better. You and THEY, will be in my prayers.

Love,

Robyn

• Members

It's good to see I'm not the only sucker for a cute/sad/woe-begone furry face! I had to laugh as I read the puppy "tails" [pun intended]. At our home, friends never knew what critters they find. At one point, we had a cat that curled up with the english bulldog and a parakeet who'd would park itself on the dog's head while they napped in the sun. The rescued baby wood duck took baths with the girls and the rescued baby fox just hid out under the bed thinking we were all crazy! Eventually the duck grew up and flew away and the little vixen got old enough to be safely reunited with the woods. Then I got a horse who thought he was a person and demanded his share of fresh baked oatmeal cookies I baked every weekend for the girls.Well-that darn cat and dog took to curling up with the horse at nap time!! The kids developed a love of animals almost from the day they were born. Cathie's sister eventually became a veterinarian.

When I was coming up to the first anniversary of Cathie's death - and for the first time was pet-less - I just had an overwhelming need for a dog. Not the usual large dog I usually favored - had to be a small one that I could hold in my arms. So off I go to the local humane society with a definite picture in my mind what I wanted. It couldn't be female, have long hair or possibly grow bigger that 8-10 lbs. Yes-you already know where this story is going ... I came home with a Shih Tzu/Schnauzer mix that I named "Punkin" [Cathie's nickname] before I was out the humane society's door. Do you know that little bundle of fur had the nerve to grow up to weigh in at about 25 lbs and have long silky hair?! Well ... no matter how lost or alone I felt in my grief, I would turn around and there she would be - quietly looking at me as if she understood how close I was to the abyss then she'd reach out and offer me her little paw. I know in my heart that Cathie was the driving force of bringing Punkin and me together and for the next 16 year Punkin never left my side.

• Members

As I came here tonight and began reading, I felt the instant connection that I always feel with each of you. The emotions and pitfalls have become familiar to me, and I understand every word written to convey those feelings and dark places we find ourselves in. I have come to have no expectations from this new life, as I see those who are many years down this road still experiencing the loss and all that comes with it. I don't type these words from a depressed spirit, but a grateful spirit because of the insight I have gained. It helps me to know that I am indeed forever changed, so there is no need for me to question when it will end or when I will find relief. I do believe that it will one day become "softer", but I do not kid myself into having a false hope that one magical day all will be right again. I am sometimes blindsided by the intensity and unexpectedness of an emotion, but those here have taught me that it is normal and expected that these things happen. From you, I have learned that this "new normal" is normal. I have learned that I probably won't remember much of this first year other than the anguish experienced. I have learned that there is a way to move forward and still carry my child with me into that future I resist....I haven't found the way yet, but I know now that I will. I have learned that I am okay, even in my worst and most miserable moments. I have found a balm for my broken heart and wounded spirit among you. This is a very special place filled with very special people. Each of you have made a difference in my life, this new life, and I have no doubt that you will continue to make a difference. You have been guiding my steps on this dark path, helping me as I stumble and fall, and for that, I am eternally grateful for each and every one of you.

The stories and pictures of our pets brought a lightness to this place over the last few days. It was good for me to focus an another aspect of our lives for a moment or two.

Becky - My pets have suffered too since Shannon's passing. I meet their daily needs and give them a little loving, but otherwise, they are neglected. I figure they'll survive...we can only do what we can do.

Carol - Continued prayers for you and the family.

• Members

Tali, it seems you just began coming here, welcome to this place that many of us consider a second home. Tell us more about your Girl when you can and when you want. My Girl, Erica, died when she was 19, nearly 9 years ago which of course, is hard to believe. Even this many years later, time remains the oddest thing since Eri left. So I am one of the oldies on the site, oldie as in how many years I have been around this place.

Going to bed, school bells ring tomorrow...

Oh Susan, yes, the new normal holds all sorts of 'new' kinds of emotions...you will be able to carry Shannon into each day with more joy than ache one day...the joy will be for having ever known her of course, the ache is a constant too, they are housed in the same area of our hearts, and within each beat of the heart, are the joy and the ache. We hurt so badly because we love so fully, and are loved so fully.

• Members

I want my baby back.She would be so mad at me for calling her "my baby". I am so sad and sorry she is gone. I know she is an eternal being and I will see her again. It is just that right now I am caught in the crux of time and it's intersection with eternity. I believe that we are eternal beings that arrive here from eternity and leave her to return to eternity. An eternal being has no beginning or end. Our time constrains souls and times there existence. It is an artifact of our understanding. I now know what I believe occurs. We "appear" here in time from eternity and when our days are doie reappear in eternity from where we emerged. Our life here is measured in the continuum we call time. Our soul is different and always existed and will always exist. It is eternal. Our souls accomany us to time and back to eternity. We will be know as we are known and know as we know. I will see my daughter again, her soul is eternal.

I am thank ful she existed here in time with me. I know I will see her again. Her cells reside in my body and our cells communicate, even across the time divide. I am connected to her and nothing, not even death can divide us. I thank God for blessing me with her care and believe we will be together again.

I love you my precious daughter Cherry, I am so thankful you were entrusted to me for your life here on earth. I will see you again and we will never be separated again. Until we meet again. Love, Ma

• Members

Maizy also spelled( Mazy, Massey) and Eri...

Stormy and Eri...

Dee ~ you had a 'Lassie Dog' :) Love those pictures, true Eri ;)