Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What positive can you list today?

KayC

• Members
foreverhis

Yesterday I had nothing planned.  I managed to do a little gardening, which felt good, and repaired the "deck" of my 1986 Acura's hatchback.  John taught me a lot, so I figured out what might work, grabbed what I needed (including mini clamps), and did it.  I checked this morning and it seems to have worked.  Yay me!  (Funny side note: As a woodworker for fun, John had at least 75 clamps of all different sizes and kinds.  And he used every one of them!)

My sister and BIL had watched 1776 the night before.  Well, he tolerated it because he's a musician, not a musical theater guy, but will do just about anything to make my sister happy (and vice versa).  She and I had a running text string of little quotes, lyrics, and funny things.

So last night, I dragged out an old home-made DVD John recorded 20 years ago from TCM, back when we had cable.  Full remastered version, so nearly 3 hours long.  It was helpful in calming Miss Cosi when the local illegal fireworks and firecrackers started.  She was confused and a little scared, running back and forth on the windowsill.  But mostly, she stayed by me, tucked into her cozy bed with my arm around her back.  A mostly okay day and evening.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Your dog comment reminded me about mine...where most dogs I ever saw got scared (sometimes terrified) of fireworks, same with thunder, my guy...being a classic Jack Russell...got mad. lol....he would bark his head off to knock off that racket! We had to leave him inside if we lit any out in the yard

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Started out my morning finding my stacked wood in the pole barn had collapsed in, middle stall on a hill, no way to get it back, trying earned me a huge gash on my arm...how I got that I don't know as I had firehandler's gloves on but I let the firewood guy know so he won't be surprised when he stacks wood,

While at it I hoisted my ladder up and over the fence, no easy feat, figured it'd be easier than carrying it around the house to the back, 168 ft+.  I need to seal off the door to the hot water tank as there are bees going in and out...since the door is high up and there's a hump or hill leading to iit, will again leave that to Jack to figure out but decided since bees are busiest in the heat to let it go until it's cold. What can bees do to it, carry it off?  

Okay, for the positives...I needed to get my mammogram in the valley (a LONG trip) and called ahead to find out if they have somewhere for me to hook Kodie up to while it's being done...his sixth or seventh trip out as a service dog, he flunked the first one but did great the rest and I figure to his credit, partly my friends fault for engaging him while we're eating lunch...a no-no for service dogs.  He has his new vest so we were ready to go. He did great! We got groceries and apparently everyone else hasn't heard of that no-no either because they all made over him, but he did great!

Got in line at the store and a guy was singing hymns, he had an amazing voice so I commented on how we could use him at my church!  I told him I've been on a Praise Team since I was a teenager and since you can tell by looking at me that's been quite some time ago...

Anyway, I explained to him about the COPD on my records and how I was to do a spirometry test so I'd been practicing my breathing and what a huge difference it had made to my singing!  And after all that the doctor took it off my records!  
Groceries put away, play date at Jazzy's, now trying to cool off the house and catch up around here...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Oh, speaking of lawns, my mower has been in the shop, which means I haven't been able to mow my lawn at all this summer (or spring).  However, the good news is that they are bringing it back fixed soon.  My yard is a wilderness.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

The inside of our washer tub seems to be dripping; so I bailed out about 10 gallons of water. That happens from time to time. Any handy person in our group they may know the cause of that problem, I'd appreciate your input.

Other than that, we did our usual grocery shopping for 3 1/2 men. Couldn't put the groceries away fast enough. It was like a steam bath out there. Saw one of our state birds (cardinal) perched on a tree, then diving down to our bird feeder. Keeping a big secret from Salem (vet appointment next Monday). Got some chores done in the morning; which is always a good idea since I tend to start dragging in the afternoon. Sunday Ross and I plan to have dinner with Chris' best girlfriend and her husband. Got our electric bill. It was less than I expected...............

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Oh my gosh, Raleigh is a mix of Jack and Parson Russell with a touch of Chihuahua in  her ears and muzzle. I have always had medium size dogs, so she is my first small friend.  She’s just so darn adorable, funny, smart, and loving. She’s what John would call a “dog dog” in a little feisty package.

"100 lb dog in a 10 lb body" as we used to say...

Wow you people have been busy! I need to mow my (big - ugh) yard as well but every time I'm about to, it rains. I've done a little bush trimming but need to really cut the boxwoods in front of my house way back. They'll just look like hell though if I do at least for awhile... 

• Like 2

• Members

I’ll be picking up my son, daughter in law and 14 mth old grandson tomorrow morning. I think the house is pretty much baby proofed. I’ll find out tomorrow if I did a good enough job or not. Hopefully, I did. They’ll be here for two weeks. Im looking forward to their visit. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Gail, glad you are enjoy your son & DIL! 

SAR123. enjoy your visit!  I miss having my kids come, they don't do that anymore, my son has been here twice in the last five years, my daughter too, that's it. My DIL hasn't been here for eight years.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• Members

@KayC your children visiting you twice in five years!!?  This I truly do not understand!  I know they live in the same state as you, right?  Your house is in the mountains.  I would think visiting you would be a relaxing pleasure Kay!💚

• Like 1

• Moderators

My son is busy with his family/job, my daughter works 6-7 days/week.  I can't explain what I don't understand.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
14 hours ago, Gator M said:

I did get up today.  (That can either be a positive or a downer)

I did have LABs done today.

I did drop paperwork off at my probate attorney's office.

You did a lot today.  I am always proud of myself if I get one outside errand done in a day.   

• Like 3

• Moderators

That stupid groundhog hasn't done any new destruction. That is a positive for me! 

• Like 3

• Moderators

That IS a positive, @widower2!

Power went out again yesterday, I'd just walked Kodie, took me 1/2 hour tto report it standing outside to get through, got someone rude.  I ate cold hamburger casserole since I couldn't cook eggs, then picked up some branches, and we went to Jazzy's, she was in her kennel again, Iris hadn't told me she'd be gone, so I let them play an hour, just got her back in and the power returned. Came home and reset all the clocks (this is four times inside 2-3 weeks! It's getting old.) Caught up on my inside work, too hot to be outside anyway, then changed into my nightgown, got laundry done, then got a call from Iris, it was just past dinner and she STILL wasn't home and hadn't yet left town or finished her stops. So I got dressed again and we went and let Jazzy out for another hour. By this time it's an hour until bedtime so we laid down to watch t.v. and call it a day.

I am feeling annoyed though, Iris doesn't clean house, pick up limbs, shovel snow, gets everyone to do everything for her, don't know how long the neighbors will keep doing for her, Mike did everything, yardwork, cooking, dishes, picking up around the house, ordering things, took care of the computers, you name it.  He's been gone five months now, I know it has to be hard for her when she was used to having everything done but when Jazzy is in her kennel there is no food, no water, no room to move, not a blanket to sit on or a chew toy!  Nothing but staring out of the bars into a quiet house.  How would ANYONE like that!  I don't understand why she doesn't let her roam the house while she's gone! She isn't destructive. Kodie is good inside the house.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Members

I think I already posted a comment on this last week. The only thing I could add to that is, you’re Jazzy’s best friend.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I fell trying to get Jazzy to stop biting Kodie, he was crying and she wasn't quitting. I ended up breaking my glasses, tweaking my breast, hurting my hand and my elbow/arm and knee...I can't go to the eye doctor for four months, but had a spare pair in the car.  The positive is I didn't break any bones, so my bone density must be pretty good, I didn't break any bones the last time I fell hard a few months ago either (also over there), although I sprained my finger and tweaked my arm/back.  Gotta be careful at my age!

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Yikes, that dog has some unresolved issues!!!! Glad you didn't get any worse than a few nicks and bruises.

Today I did three things: 1) Got in touch with a washing machine repairman. He'll be here on Monday and will hopefully solve our problem.  2) I changed some indoor and outdoor lights. Now our hallway and outdoor porch doesn't look like my neighbors think I'm using low watt bulbs. 3) I PUT A HEX ON JAZZY!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

I'm glad you have a washing machine repairman coming Monday.  I hate changing lightbulbs. I found my bulbs are the yellowish instead of bluish kind, I prefer it the other way around, the yellowing ones leave it too dim.

Aww, no hex on Jazzy, I love her, I was just not happy with her today...I doubt she noticed.

• Moderators

Two days running, no groundhog damage. Hope I don't jinx it.

• Like 3

• Moderators

They are calling for MORE possible thunderstorms and rain throughout the week including later today, so mowed my overdue back yard to mow, it was brutal in the heat but glad I got it done so it can rain now if it wants, I don't care! On the other hand, went to a winery yesterday with some folks, there was a mere 25% chance of rain and of course it poured buckets! But we got a seat inside and it still worked out.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Is that a plastic cover? If so, you can drive without it and frankly I question how much you really need it at all...if they try to charge you and arm and a leg I'd go elsewhere. Mine got ripped up years ago when I hit a pot hole....I tore it off and never replaced it. No issues. Not saying that's what you should do necessarily just FWIW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members

I remember when I lived in New York, the last few weeks of July up into the first week of August, the heat and humidity were unbearable. Most of the houses in my neighborhood were old row houses; and some families were lucky enough to have an A/C window unit. Many nights during that time our neighbors would be sitting in front of their houses until midnight or later because it was actually cooler outside than in the house. An opened, screened window at least gave us some breeze.

Fast forward fifty years later:  We have central A/C in our home; which is much needed now because we live 500 further south and the hot summers are longer here. That is something to be thankful for.

widower2:  Glad to hear that your "pesky friend" hasn't darkened your back yard. I heard he's adjusting to his new environment, has mad new friends, but misses you and your back yard.

Off to the vet today.................have to put Salem in a cat carrier. Has wants to know how Jazzy deals with it...............

• Like 1

• Moderators

Except it incapacitates my car when it falls down so if it's going to be left on it needs to be secure.  I can't drive hours away and have it render my car undriveable in the middle of nowhere...like my son's.

1 hour ago, RichS said:

have to put Salem in a cat carrier. Has wants to know how Jazzy deals with it.

She doesn't get any choice, I'm afraid.  I hate it. It's like she's imprisoned.  That's why we go let her out, I love her, so does Kodie.  I don't do it for Iris, I do it for Jazzy.

• Like 1

• Members

34 minutes ago, KayC said:

I don't do it for Iris, I do it for Jazzy

Jazzy may not know it, but you're his best friend. Salem got back with a good report. Has some problem with fleas, but what animal doesn't this time of year? He'll get some topical cream every two months to treat it. The vet said that pets put up more of a fight getting in their carriers (before you take them to the vet).

• Like 1

• Moderators

Called the eye place, under warranty until 8/4, which should give me time to return these, found out the only color they have in them anymore is red, ugh, but I'll take them, they're for spares but I hope to God I don't need them. Came back from Jazzy's and Jack was putting in the post for my patio, the way he did it I will need another one but will tell him that another day. He also nailed the door to the water tank shut. Still need to paint the post.

Made a pot of soup to share with Iris, she gave me some pesto sauce (from scratch) and it's the best I've ever had!

• Like 3

• Members

Going on my first tropical trip without my love. I am scared but I finally took the initiative .

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
16 hours ago, KayC said:

gave me some pesto sauce (from scratch)

I just made a batch last week from scratch too. I grow my own basil too, and use walnuts instead of pine nuts. The pine nuts are so expensive now that walnuts are a perfect alternative. I put it in cupcake pans and freeze it, and then take them out and wrap them in foil and  then freeze them.

• Like 4

• Members

My friend's husband was diagnosed with Parkinson a number of years ago, and eight weeks ago he was hospitalized after a  fall. His health quickly deteriorated, infection after infection, and he became completely bedridden. So all of us friends and family helped her prepare her apartment, got rid of at least half of what was in there, created a room for her husband and also one for the 24/7 help she was hiring, and after eight weeks he finally got home. But he was in a very bad state, so we kept being very involved, especially as I am the only nurse among her wide circle of friends. Yesterday morning after only five days at home he took his last breath. My friend and I washed him, we did our respective rituals, other friends came, we sat with him, we cried, we laughed, we talked about what a wonderful man he'd been. In the evening his body was collected, and we had a glass of wine to toast him, and wish him a good journey. I am so grateful to have been able to help her and him, to have been allowed to witness this whole process. I never had a chance to do this for my husband, because he died unexpectedly, police came and then more police, and I wasn't even allowed into the room after the paramedics were done. I went in there anyhow to at least kiss him good bye. I still have a very vivid memory of the complete heartbreak when they carried his body away, taking everything I cared for, my whole life. So being with my friend and her husband and going through my own pain again was rather catarthic. I feel like sharing this positive of the last weeks. I'm completely done in now, but that's alright. 

• Hugs 4

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

I just mad a batch last week from scratch too. I grow my own basil too, and use walnuts instead of pine nuts.

Sounds a great idea!  She grows her own basil too.  Maybe that is the difference, way better than others!

@Shinka What you did for your friend is amazing.  I know you don't think of yourself this way, but you should be hailed a hero.  What a difference you made in their lives!

• Like 1

• Members
43 minutes ago, KayC said:

What a difference you made in their lives!

Echoing Kay's statement: What you did not only helped your friend's husband, but your friend as well. Your actions were not only a sacrifice of your time, but a powerful example of loving your neighbor.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
On 7/9/2023 at 1:17 AM, widower2 said:

Two days running, no groundhog damage. Hope I don't jinx it.

I KNEW I should have kept my mouth shut. Another hole dug under the fence.

Although I'm doubting it's him as the hole is too small for his big ol butt to get through. Great, I have another critter?

• Sad 2

• Members
21 minutes ago, widower2 said:

Great, I have another critter?

Either that, or the same one bought himself a Greyhound bus ticket.

• Like 2

• Members
18 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

use walnuts instead of pine nuts.

Dio santo! Sparky per il vero pesto genovese ci vogliono i pinoli...non le noci!😂

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Gator M, do you have a job you like (as far as you can like anything right now), or is it one of those  things you have to do, but never really cared about?

• Like 3

• Moderators

Jack came and nailed the door shut to the hot water tank, also did the bottom of it, not sure if I posted that or not, my days are running together, it's been a stressful week. Asked him to do another post for patio so end piece will have support going the other way to hold the rails as the old one rotted.

Also, Jake came and looked at my car last night, secured it better and will order new covers (evidently there's two) for the motor, will let me know when it comes in.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
14 hours ago, Roxeanne said:

Dio santo! Sparky per il vero pesto genovese ci vogliono i pinoli...non le noci!😂

Perdonami Roxeanne. I know the true Genovese pesto has pine nuts, but they are hard to find now and are very expensive. I always used pine nuts and yes, it tastes better but they became expensive to use. I've tried many store bought pestos and none of them compare to the one I make. Almeno oggi mi hai fatto ridere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Members
3 hours ago, Gator M said:

I'd retire if I had the finances.   I'm too young.   I'm doing what I have to.

That's tough.. Makes things even harder.. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Gator M said:

I'd retire if I had the finances.   I'm too young.   I'm doing what I have to.

I hear you. I have the retirement mentality, just not the bank account! 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Okay, grasping at straws here but my positive is I didn't get stung yesterday (allergic to bees, wasps, etc)...there are tons of displaced yellowjackets hanging around on my patio now that their spot is cut off to them, they're all around my patio door!  I had to go out the front yesterday to avoid them coming in. Have sprayed but there's always more.  These are very angry and want in my house!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Members
  • Moderators

I have one, they are avoiding it like the plague!  Thanks anyway.

• Moderators

I just went on Amazon and ordered a different type I haven't tried before...we'll see!

• Like 1

• Moderators

1 hour ago, KayC said:

I just went on Amazon and ordered a different type I haven't tried before...we'll see!

Yellowjackets love sugar/sugary food...throw them a doughnut :) 

• Haha 2