• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Where I live spring is just springing and tonight the frogs and other night things are singing, she loved this time of year, and I am enjoying the song tonight.

Thank you for making me think of positive things, I think it's stopping me from thinking the other way

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

omg the frogs are OBNOXIOUSLY loud this time of year here lol - if I went out on my deck I couldn't hear myself think! 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, foreverhis said:

The dryer still works (knock on wood, etc.)

Mine has only been worked on once in 46 years! Not much too them. Washers are different.  My old one lasted for over 40 years, there were a lot of things I liked about it. The one I have now uses a lot of water even if for a small load! And you can't see what stage it's in.  It's harder on towels, etc, seems like it beats them to death!

9 hours ago, shawnt said:

I am enjoying the song tonight.

Frogs are a sign of balance, so I always take it that there's harmony in my place when the frogs are out.
Looks to be a beautiful day today. Kodie and Panther are outside playing with each other.

• Like 1

• Members
4 hours ago, foreverhis said:

But this year, there is one bird driving me crazy. He or she has the most annoying loud repetitive call I have ever heard! And it’s all darn day long.

We have some woods in our backyard. Love to hear the birds when I'm in the gazebo. The only problem with birds is with our woodpecker friends in the spring. For some reason, it's home building season for them; and they love to peck holes in soffets and wood framed houses. Our neighbors next door have dark brown, wood stained exterior. To the woodpeckers it looks like a giant tree. I could hear them pecking on our exterior, but especially on theirs. In our 26 years here, he's never stained his house a different color. Their solution is put small pieces of wood over the holes; which if they continue to do that, their house should look like a ramshackle shack in 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, KayC said:

Sounds like how I feel about bluejays...

Blue jays are such pretty birds. It's a shame they're so nasty.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Despite totally not wanting to, given it was overdue, I vacuumed today.

:wild life:

I also have tomorrow off. That's positive. :)  

• Like 4

• Members

I despise vaccuumcleaners, wretched things. They make too much noise, they smell, the cable always gets twisted around it in some mysterious way and it keeps bumping into things. I do it once a week and use a brush the rest of the time. The brush always does exactly what I want it to do. Now why can't vaccuumcleaners be like that? 

• Haha 2

• Members

I also hate to vacuum . Years ago Sue bought an automatic vacuum. Our dog at the time was very protective of her and the next day when it started it's work the dog attacked it.When we came home the dog was proudly standing over the mangled parts, showing us what she defeated to keep us safe. Laughed and laughed.

My positive today, I didn't cry when I got up and it is a beautiful blue sky day.

• Haha 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

In addition to getting some sight back in his right eye (cateract surgery), my 94 year old uncle got an overall good physical from his family doctor this morning. He had some Ensure when he got home. We buy that by the 6-pack. Funny thing is, 30 years ago it would have been a six pack of beer sitting in the refrigerator.:) Ain't life funny.........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, shawnt said:

I also hate to vacuum . Years ago Sue bought an automatic vacuum. Our dog at the time was very protective of her and the next day when it started it's work the dog attacked it.When we came home the dog was proudly standing over the mangled parts, showing us what she defeated to keep us safe. Laughed and laughed.

My positive today, I didn't cry when I got up and it is a beautiful blue sky day.

Had to laugh about the dog attacking the vacuum cleaner. My dog (like probably many dogs) hated mine and always barked at it until I was done and one time decided he'd had enough and tried to bite it. I guess the hard plastic didn't feel so good on his teeth and seeing it had no effect he didn't try it again. :)  

• Like 2

• Members
foreverhis

When we bought our house, one of the things the sellers had added during a 1990 renovation was a whole house vacuum system.  I had never heard of that.  Today, I can't even contemplate going back to a "regular" vacuum.  Plug the hose into a wall outlet (three in the house for coverage), put on whichever attachment, and go.  The house was built in 1965 and is...quirky in many ways, but the whole house vacuum has been amazing.  My bugbear has always been dusting.  I hate it, loathe it really, but I hate dust more.  The newer microfiber wands with the disposable ends have made it easier, but I still hate doing it.  Bless John's heart, he always took care of the "high" dusting so I never had to reach and then would just go at whatever was dustiest throughout the house.

My positive for today is that I just finished making sugar cookies with a friend to take to our invitation yoga class tomorrow.  Our instructor (and dear friend) was out of town for 2 weeks, so it's a welcome back goodie.  While baking, my friend mentioned that she had a great day Monday because a friend she hadn't seen in 20 years was visiting town.  As we were talking, she said,  "It was wonderful to see Betsy after so many years."  Whoa! That's not a really common name these day.  I asked, "Betsy?" and she told me her full name and that she'd known her from theater.  I walked over to a stack of pictures I'd been sorting through and asked, "You mean this Betsy (last name)?"  John and I had met her even before we moved down here.  We were visiting and met Betsy because she worked at the Chamber of Commerce and we'd gone in asking if there were any theater groups locally with shows going on.  We got to talking and then ended up going out to lunch with her.  We stayed in touch and then spent time with her (and her husband before their divorce) the first year or so after we moved.  But then she moved and we lost contact.  My friend also knew my mother, though she didn't know me then and she really only knew her by sight, because my mom worked with the local opera company as a costume assistant down here while my friend was assistant stage manager.  We only recently figured out that one, so having another was a real "what a small world" moment.  My friend and I have only known each other for 4-1/2 years, but we've lived 3 blocks apart for 20 years!  It's kind of nice to be reminded how we really are all connected.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Hooray indeed.

My positive today is all of my son's put full days of work in . There mother would be so proud to see them turning into men.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
10 hours ago, widower2 said:

I'd tell her parents about that

She's 47 years old & should know better.  She is my only relative around here.  My step daughter (who has been wonderful) lives 1500 miles away.  

She actually hung up on me when I started crying over that remark.  She said she's done with this ****.  I so ashamed of my reaction to it.  I called her back begging for her not to walk away from me right now.  Pleading for forgiveness for stressing her out.  I was a crazy person on my messages.... begging & pleading & promising to do better.  I'm ashamed at my reaction.  I'm just so sad today.  I want Brian to wrap his arms around me & tell me it's ok.  

I don't have a positive today yet but I will try to think of something by the end of the day.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Again I'm speechless. Probably best not to say more than that other than I would grant her request and never talk to her again (why would you? For more abuse?) and focus on your step-daughter. Also I'd consider seeing a grief therapist to unload; that helped me a lot when I didn't have someone to talk to. 

• Like 3

• Members

My positive is the mouse lurking in my compost bin seems to have disappeared...fingers crossed. It'd been there a few times over the past couple of weeks and scared the living daylights out of me when I nonchalantly opened the bin lid to throw in veggie scraps and coffee grounds. I'm now in the habit of knocking on the lid before opening. I'm also pretty sure if my partner Tom was around, he would have been there with camera in hand just waiting to catch those moments of surprise! 

• Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Sheilz said:

I want Brian to wrap his arms around me & tell me it's ok.

It IS okay. It's okay for you to have all kinnds of feelings about it, you're vulnerable, you need someone to wrap their arms around you and love you.  Consider yourself hugged.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Tough day today. I have agreed to participate in grief group tomorrow, I'm going to count that as my positive .

• Like 4

• Members

Grief group today, maybe a few tools. Have to think about it and decide if I will go next week.

• Like 2

• Members

Two positives today... I swept the floor & had a TV dinner.  Today sux.  3 week anniversary and could see him everywhere.  Cried a real lot.  But still swept the floor & had a TV dinner.  Is that progress????

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sheilz said:

Two positives today... I swept the floor & had a TV dinner.  Today sux.  3 week anniversary and could see him everywhere.  Cried a real lot.  But still swept the floor & had a TV dinner.  Is that progress????

1. You survived another day
2. You also got something done

esp at your early stages, heck yes.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, shawnt said:

Grief group today, maybe a few tools. Have to think about it and decide if I will go next week.

I would encourage you to give it a few tries before deciding, it may be too soon for you? It helps you to know others going through it, someone to go out to lunch with on occasion...also, if the group leader is any good, helps for your journey. Hopefully you get a CHANCE to talk but NOT COMPELLED to.

10 hours ago, Sheilz said:

But still swept the floor & had a TV dinner.  Is that progress????

It's functioning. And that's about the best we can hope for this early.  Count every accomplishment even if it has to be done over again.  (((hugs)))

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Yesterday's positive is we made it through it. Went to a new vet in Eugene (LONG drive), they were really nice.  Miss the homey feel of our former place (that is moving way too far away) but this one the vet and assistant got on the floor with Kodie, he even spun, spun, spun for them!  He told me what was going on with his eye, said he needs surgery (no ins.) and they had a cancellation that day so left him there, also had him neutered while he was under and shots, nails trimmed. Have to order his meds online.  His recovery from the eye surgery is two weeks, has to wear a cone, can't see Jazzy. :( Iris' surgery the day we have to come back to the vet so can't let Jazzy out for her. Will really miss her.

I will be home spoon feeding Kodie food/water, he is not very adept at managing the cone but managed to get it off when I was sleeping.  His eye is swollen but bandages still on.  He didn't pee last night, he was really out of it. But then he didn't eat/drink much yesterday.  Took all day with recovery and the drive.

Canceled my doctor's appt for today and the follow up, rescheduled for later this month.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

For what it's worth, last night I was score keeping a girls fast pitch softball game. For the first time since I remember, there were NO COMPLAINTS from the coaches or the parents, no disputed calls (maybe they gave out free valium before the game). The game even ended 15 minutes early. Both umpires admitted that this was any easy game. A parent even passed by after the game and said, "Thanks for all that you do." Almost felt like I entered heaven without anyone letting me know. :)

Kay----glad to hear that everything went well for your dog. You also reminded me that Salem's trip to the vet is overdue. I hate to put him in that pet carrier.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, RichS said:

Kay----glad to hear that everything went well for your dog.

This is way harder than I would have imagined. He hadn't peed since yesterday morning except a trickle this morning. He's not catching onto the dreaded cone and keeps running into things.  He seems delirious. Hoping tomorrow goes better.  It's been a long time since I've had surgery on a pet and with him getting two, that's tough.  Woke up after 3 hours and he had his cone off., sent a picture to his vet and he said he was a little concerned about the weepiness.  Of course that made this mom worried, but his eyes usually weep but I do see some from the surgical wound. Heading into the weekend, hope all goes well. I've had to spoon feed him water and homemade soup, also gave him some pancake/egg mixture (healthy pancakes, no carbs).  Took him to the mailbox with me, he keeps crashing his head down, hoping he's more clear headed tomorrow.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

Of course that made this mom worried

Of course it did.  You're a good mommy.  Hoping for a better night for the both of you.

• Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis

@KayC  I'm sending prayers and loving thoughts for both Kodie and you.:wub:💗

• Like 1

• Members

My positive of the day:  I had my televisit with my Primary.  She's great.  Cried through the whole thing and she told me I was ok.  Oh... & I ate tuna fish (canned) for dinner.  But I ate for about 3 evenings in a row.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

It was a hard night, not much sleep, Kodie finally peed after 38 hours of not...on the couch. So I'm up laundering couch covers, trying to get him to pee outside (nope! He'd already gone.), washing the couch, it'll take days to dry.  He kept making noises smacking, panting, etc. I know panting can be a sign of distress so that had me worried...finally got a couple hours sleep.

I hope today goes better. But at least he finally went!  Sigh...

Only 10 carbs yesterday but BS was up this morning, all the stress and not getting our walks in.  This too shall pass.

• Hugs 3

• Members

One of our cats we had in the past had to have a cone put on her due to a surgery (to keep her away from chewing on her stitches). All she did all day was try to get it off of her neck. She almost succeeded, too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Kodie got his off the first night, we have 15 days of this!

A friend suggested I take it off when I walk him (VERY short walks right now) and I did, he pooped right away and then peed for the longest time, he likes to go in the briars, but I was so glad he did! Every time he tried to get at it, I'd tell him know, it'd last a minute, then again, made it home w/o mishaps.

She also suggested I use a spray of 1/2 vinegar, half water on the couch, it helped immensely.
This is my positive today! 

Oh and I got my wood stove cleaned out, house vacuumed and dusted!

• Like 4

• Moderators
4 hours ago, KayC said:

Kodie got his off the first night, we have 15 days of this!

A friend suggested I take it off when I walk him (VERY short walks right now) and I did, he pooped right away and then peed for the longest time, he likes to go in the briars, but I was so glad he did! Every time he tried to get at it, I'd tell him know, it'd last a minute, then again, made it home w/o mishaps.

She also suggested I use a spray of 1/2 vinegar, half water on the couch, it helped immensely.
This is my positive today! 

Oh and I got my wood stove cleaned out, house vacuumed and dusted!

Glad he's on the right track!

FWIW when my dog got older and starting having that problem (#1 and #2s in the house) there is this stuff they sold in the grocery store in a 409 style spray container (and in the same area as that stuff) which worked really well. Sorry I don't recall the name but the bottle was black so it stood out. 

• Like 1

• Members
  • Moderators
40 minutes ago, Sheilz said:

I'm trying to post a positive every day but I've been a mess today.  I can't even read any posts right now because I'm too emotional.  When will it get easier????????????

My positive today is I went for a short walk.  I hated it & missed Brian & cried.  But I got out.  That's it for me.  

For the point you're at, I think that's plenty. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Thank you for the suggestion!   Took him out twice to "walk" on neighboring property and back, he pooped and peed a LOT both times, feeding him water out of a ladle and giving him food throughout the day, holding it up to him also. This is a full time job...

Got it ordered, won't be here for a few days, (Lowes is 120 mile round trip so ordered off Walmart for even less! Of course I had to order $30 worth of fat bombs to get that price! :D Will use them...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Took him out twice to "walk" on neighboring property and back

This seems like good news this morning and maybe things will get easier for both of you.  Poor Kodie but he has a good mama. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis
6 hours ago, KayC said:

Of course I had to order $30 worth of fat bombs to get that price! :D Will use them...

My friend, you deserve those fat bombs!  What we'll do for those we love knows no bounds.  You need to keep your strength up, right?:biggrin:💗

• Haha 1