Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What positive can you list today?

KayC

• Moderators

No doughnuts but sugar water for sure! Wish they could get into hummingbird feeders, it'd double it's purpose!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Smart yellow jackets in Oregon.............At Georgia Tech Univ., they're idolized................You just reminded me of the time Ross when was a little kid. He thought it would be a neat idea to pour some water in this hole in the ground (which was a yellow jacket nest). As a result around 15 of them "greeted" him. Chris and I still remembered the screams heard in our backyard. Ross survived, the yellow jackets are gone, he promised to never mess with them again. A POSITIVE thing that happened 25 years too late for this thread but, what the heck? :)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RichS said:

Smart yellow jackets in Oregon

They've been around a while and passed info down to their offspring, I'm sure!  These are very savvy!

1 hour ago, Gator M said:

collect their cigarette butts and soak then in water

Yuck!! I know someone who smokes cigars, not sure that'd be the same.

Iris wants me to go on an overnight train ride and leave Kodie at her house with a sitter, but he'd have to be in a kennel, hasn't been in one since he was a young pup.  Also, no getting on furniture. That's not how I treat my dog, he's a family member, is used to free run of the house and never hurt anything!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Of all bees/flying stingy things, yellowjackets are the worst. Last nest I found was in my front yard in a hole - I had a very effective yet low-tech solution. I got a shovel-full of dirt and plopped it over top of the hole. No more yellowjackets.

PS this reminded me of this (you may need to save it off to read)

bees.png

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I know this is a trivial thing, but my positive is being glad for sugar-free options for things. I'm not much of a sweet tooth person, but sometimes it's a nice to have options, like sugar-free chocolate and my latest discovery sugar-free Mike's Hard Lemonade :) 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
12 hours ago, Gator M said:

If you know someone who smokes, collect their cigarette butts and soak then in water. The water will turn brown like tea.  

Spary that on any wasps, jackets, etc.  It will kill them.  The stuff is super toxic and natural.

Most wasp species are protected here where I live, they give you a huge fine if you get caught getting rid of a nest. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Moderators

Where do you live, Shinka?  Last night two were mating inside my house!  They disappeared but don't know where they went.  I'm allergic.  Surely they wouldn't fine you if it's inside your home!  That's crazy!  It kept me up for hours last night, I looked everywhere, they must have gone into a wall somewhere, no idea where.  I will have to cohabitate for now, it has my BS up this morning.

I love their description of the bumblebee!

Bees.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Mike's Hard Lemonade sugar free: still off limits for me however...

Nutrition Facts
  • Total Fat 0g.
  • Saturated Fat 0g.
  • Trans Fat 0g.
  • Cholesterol 0mg.
  • Sodium 0mg.
  • Total Carbs 6g. 2%
  • Dietary Fiber 0g.
  • Total Sugars 0g.

• Members
On 7/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, Gator M said:

Do you rent or own now?

I own my home. I bought it in 2018 before home prices went so crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
On 7/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, Gator M said:

I have to reach 67 for full retirement.

Gator, 

The SS full retirement issue is separate from health insurance with Medicare.  Hopefully they won't raise the age for Medicare, because that is a big expense to pay without your employer providing a big group policy and covering at least some of the cost. My employer covered almost all of the premium when I was working. I had only a $50 per month premium that I paid. So jumping to $900 a month when I retired, was crushing. 

But regarding SS, when my husband died I took my widow's benefit based on his earnings.  I still haven't started taking my SS benefits based on my earnings. I am going to wait until I am 70 to switch to my benefit, to maximize the amount my SS from then on.  

It's a gamble, because I could die before I reach 70.  Right now I would receive a little more if I switched to my benefit than what I receive as my widow's benefit. But each year you wait, after you reach your "full retirement age", to begin collecting your own SS, the benefit goes up 8% (in addition to any COLA increases). So I plan on waiting until I am 70.

I wish we all didn't have to think about finances so much.  

Gail

• Like 2

• Moderators

Okay, my positive for yesterday is I didn't get stung. From what I read on what @widower2 posted (thanks, BTW), it is either a wasp or yellowjacket, both mean and like to sting, esp. if you swat at them.  It's a miracle I didn't get stung, I think they were preoccupied with their mating!

1 minute ago, Gator M said:

I made more than Ann so I can't collect on her SS.

You can collect until you reach full retirement! A friend of mine is doing just that and waiting to switch to his own until age 70. George and I weren't married long enough to qualify (ten years).

• Like 1

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, KayC said:

Okay, my positive for yesterday is I didn't get stung. From what I read on what @widower2 posted (thanks, BTW), it is either a wasp or yellowjacket, both mean and like to sting, esp. if you swat at them.  It's a miracle I didn't get stung, I think they were preoccupied with their mating!

Well technically, a yellowjacket is a kind of wasp, but yeah they are the nastiest things. I don't like to kill living things if I can help it, but yellowjackets and flies are two I don't have a problem with! 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, widower2 said:

Well technically, a yellowjacket is a kind of wasp, but yeah they are the nastiest things. I don't like to kill living things if I can help it, but yellowjackets and flies are two I don't have a problem with! 

That's what I learned, and no problem with me killing one too...IF I can catch them! Not easy. Right now I'm using the front door unless early morning.  The one I killed this morning may have already been dead, wasn't going to wait and find out! I read the male dies after mating with the queen. Not a good feeling knowing the queen is still in here somewhere, perhaps in a wall...

2 hours ago, Gator M said:

Mosquitoes 

Yep, them too!

• Like 1

• Members

Moths, cause they eat my cloths. I have this sticky paper that makes them believe there's a willing female there. Bit mean really. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

My positive for today (of course the day isn't over yet!) is I get to go with the church bus to celebrate two people turning 90 at a dementia care center!  Iris will get Kodie mid-time. Told her to use front way to avoid wasps.

Thought this posted yesterday, but it didn't.

Today thankful I made it through a long day walking Kodie and then at church (8:30-2:00), praise team practice, met with mechanic, Sunday School, Church, Potluck, quarterly Business Mtg., and cleanup of food/dishes.

Will take Kodie back to Jazzy's at 3:30 to lock Iris in her oxygen chamber.

It is so hot! today 93 so far, yesterday 105.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

My positives are silly little things - went to a winery today with some folks, it was raining such that we weren't sure it was going to happen, but let off later so worked out. And no new damage from any critters in the yard. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, widower2 said:

My positives are silly little thing

Not silly at all, both sound legit! They don't have to be big, both positives. ;)

Gail, glad you survived and are home in your bed, and I too hope you get a nice long sleep!

Yesterday was a long day, survived it!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Gail, so glad for your reuniting with your cat and she is happy to be with you!

Yesterday I took Kodie with me to pick up my glasses, about 1 1/2 hours from here, hate the color but I can see well with them and they're comfortable, it was hard for him to remember he's a service dog when everyone is talking to him though! Went to the grocery store and he did really well there.  He clearly likes going with me.  Came home and went to his play date, Iris had me in for shrimp curry, it was really good. Zipped her into her oxygen chamber and cleaned her kitchen, did her dishes, hadn't been done since last time I did them! She hates doing dishes, I like it.  (I know, I'm weird). Overall a nice day and it didn't get as hot as it's been and will be this week...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Positive for yesterday....again, not plagued with as many yellowjackets as I've been having, could actually use patio door!  Still waiting on new wasp trap from Amazon, I think it's coming tomorrow afternoon, was supposed to arrive Mon-Wed, ha!

• Like 2

• Members

And if you got a decent parking spot, made it through baggage check in, took your shoes off, emptied your pockets, had your carry on scanned, re-grouped and made it to your departure gate, ALL IN LESS THAN 1/2 AN HOUR, that is a POSITIVE THING!!

• Like 2

• Moderators
My positive: Yesterday I got the yellow jacket trap from Amazon, could not figure out how to put it together, need new glasses Rx. Anyway, I called my neighbor that's ten years younger than me and smart that way. Even she had a hard time reading the instructions, so tiny and light grey. Together we got it figured out. Soon as I put it up there, one went in! Unfortunately, that was the only one that did. Sigh...anyway I have two kinds, one at each end of the patio. The other one has three...since beginning of June. Big deal, out of hundreds?!  Still at patio door but not like they were at first.  Anyway it's up and we'll see!

• Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Sigh...anyway I have two kinds, one at each end of the patio. The other one has three...since beginning of June. Big deal, out of hundreds?!  Still at patio door but not like they were at first.  Anyway it's up and we'll see!

I have to admit, not a great batting average there. Maybe when it gets cooler they'll scedaddle..............

My positive for today is that we had a mass said for my wife Chris. Today would have been her 69th birthday. Right after the mass ended, a phone was ringing in church (probably someone's cell phone). My son in a humorous way commented that maybe it was Chris calling us. Kind of reminded me of an old Beach Boys song (Had To Phone Ya'). :)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

My positive for today is that I unexpectedly received a bunch, about 20, pictures from my son's wedding from one of the guests who attended.  They were great candid shots of groups of people I know and love.   It was so nice to receive this totally unexpected gift!

Gail

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, KayC said:
My positive: Yesterday I got the yellow jacket trap from Amazon, could not figure out how to put it together, need new glasses Rx. Anyway, I called my neighbor that's ten years younger than me and smart that way. Even she had a hard time reading the instructions, so tiny and light grey. Together we got it figured out. Soon as I put it up there, one went in! Unfortunately, that was the only one that did. Sigh...anyway I have two kinds, one at each end of the patio. The other one has three...since beginning of June. Big deal, out of hundreds?!  Still at patio door but not like they were at first.  Anyway it's up and we'll see!

I'll trade you every single yellowjacket for one fat groundhog. :angry2:

Do you have a screen back door? If so, couldn't you spray some Raid at them a time or three? Better yet get one of those bug bombs and aim it like a flame thrower!

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 hours ago, widower2 said:

I'll trade you every single yellowjacket for one fat groundhog. :angry2:

Deal! 

13 hours ago, widower2 said:

couldn't you spray some Raid at them

I've thought of it, I need to move one of the cans inside the house, but I also fear making them madder and getting stung. Unlike bees they sting several times and don't die, and with their nasty dispositions and my being allergic...

Rich, yes they go away in the cold and when it cools down at night. Love the early mornings!

21 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

It was so nice to receive this totally unexpected gift!

So glad you got those pictures, that can mean a lot!

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, KayC said:

I've thought of it, I need to move one of the cans inside the house, but I also fear making them madder and getting stung. Unlike bees they sting several times and don't die, and with their nasty dispositions and my being allergic...

Definitely be careful - I was thinking maybe through a screen door or window.

And I forgot they make a spray which you should be able to get a Lowes or Home Depot (maybe other places) that's more like a foam and it comes out of the can like a jet stream - you can shoot it at them from pretty far away!

• Like 2

• Members
5 minutes ago, KayC said:

I'll trade you every single yellowjacket for one fat groundhog

widower2 :  I'm not sure I'd make that deal. You're trading one pest for hundreds............Anyway, if someone ever catches him (or them?), ship them to New York City. They have cost overruns trying to expand the underground 2nd Ave. subway into upper Manhattan. :)

• Haha 3

• Moderators

Yeah but yellowjackets don't dig holes under my fence. Also I don't mind killing yellowjackets. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, widower2 said:

Definitely be careful - I was thinking maybe through a screen door or window.

And I forgot they make a spray which you should be able to get a Lowes or Home Depot (maybe other places) that's more like a foam and it comes out of the can like a jet stream - you can shoot it at them from pretty far away!

Yes, I have that. But they can hover so close to the door with friends nearby waiting to sting so unless you get them all, they can be quicker than me, I fear making them mad and leaving them alive, having viewed me...

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, KayC said:

Yes, I have that. But they can hover so close to the door with friends nearby waiting to sting so unless you get them all, they can be quicker than me, I fear making them mad and leaving them alive, having viewed me...

If you're far enough away - and I think the spray distance should allow that - they aren't going to know or figure out where you are. But yeah, check the foggers too.

• Like 3

• Members

Going to the sports card show. Hoping to pick up some good buys..........

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

My positive is the forecast says 70s coming up, they've been off 10 degrees all summer but even 80s is preferable to 90.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Kay:  Good swat! You keep doing this and widower2 will make that trade with you for his friend, Joe Burroughs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Members

My little corner of the world got a bit of a break from the high temperatures today.  We never got up to 90 today! And with an afternoon rain shower the temperature dropped into the low 80s.  Still muggy and humid, but it felt so much better than the 98 degree sauna days we have been experiencing.

On a not so positive note, I read a disconcerting article about the heat domes the northern hemisphere has been experiencing and the scientists were concerned that the summer of 2023 may be the coolest summer of the rest of our lives.  I had not really considered that possibility before. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Why I don't like the news, it's all doom and gloom. I do like Inside Edition which often gives positive things for us and if it's too doom and gloom or about an actor or politics, I'll fast forward through it.  What will be, will be.

My positive for yesterday was my internet and phone finally came back on!  It was out all afternoon, found out it was scheduled maintenance they didn't expect to take so long but they never sent me an alert. I got one AFTER it came back on, duh, you think I didn't notice?!

shaking head.gif

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Pick up some good buys at the sports card show on Saturday. My last two shipments of cards were well worth what I paid for them. Even added some cards to my collection!

Also, I lost 5 pounds last week.........

• Like 2

• Moderators

Would be okay by me! We have a fire three miles from here that grew from 300 to 4428 acres in 1 1/2 days! Doesn't sound like they learned anything from last year! Panther just got his voice back after a year without it from the smoke being over 1600, made national news, I can't keep doing this hell...

• Hugs 4

• Moderators

Praying...I canceled my dermatology appt three weeks from now, that's the least of my worries, have one for October anyway..

• Members

Woke up this morning and thought of work instead of worry.

Even though I have to work it was nice not to cry 1st thing in the morning. It's been a long time coming.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Good to hear that, Shawn! Little, positive steps in our grief journey is encouraging to all of us.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

That's good to hear Shawn!

My positive is Iris called and checked on me, it's nice to have someone that cares. Also I reached my daughter, we talked an hour, she's so upbeat, I love that girl! She got two kittens so if/when we have to evacuate, Kodie won't be bored.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Drove through the Chick-Fil-A drive thru line. The car in front of me had a german shepherd dog with GOOGLES on!  :)

2 minutes ago, KayC said:

She got two kittens so if/when we have to evacuate, Kodie won't be bored.  

Good for Kodie......................I would leave the yellow jackets behind. Let them fend for themselves.....................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 7/25/2023 at 7:08 PM, KayC said:

I can't keep doing this hell...

The world became crazy!...we had a wave of heat and then out of nowhere extreme storms with strong wind and hail....lot of damages, two dead woman one 16 'cos of fallen trees...meanwhile the South Italy burns with extreme heat and fires...

It's the first time in my life that i was really scared by a storm!

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

They're telling us to expect Bedrock Fire to last into October...Cedar Creek all over again except longer. I talked to my daughter today, she said I can come when they make us evacuate.

Roxanne, I've been plenty scared by storms, Snowpocalypse 2/24/19 was horrific, over 8 days w/o power, phone, garbage, mail, no way in/out of town, food went bad, no way to cook...but fire scares me even worse. Smoke is bad today, will only get worse.

Iris is going to the beach with a friend for nine days, said Kodie and I can come there while she's gone (bigger yard for Kodie to play in) but not sure he'll want to w/o Jazzy there, will see. I can be in the house as I have her code.  I hope they don't shut the power off, elec. companies getting lawsuits from previous fires so they have it set to sensitive...could lose $1,000 worth of food...

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 1