Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What positive can you list today?

KayC

• Members

My positive for today:  I called a friend & went for a walk with her.  AND... she let me cry while we walked. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
3 hours ago, Gator M said:

I can positively say that I'm crying less.

I can positively say my mornings are horrible...I can barely get moving in the morning...no really.

I can positively say that I am crying more.

I can positively say that my mornings are horrible... I can barely get out of bed... sometimes I don't.

I can positively say that I'm still here (or the shell of the person I was).  

I try to look for something positive at the end of the day & I do (but I'm lying to myself about it).  But I still look. And I still try to post something.... hoping that someday it will feel like a positive.  Usually I just don't care.  I guess we need to keep trying but it's so hard to keep this up.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Today I had a haircut appt, it's been 12 days since we've been anywhere except our walks, so I brought Kodie with me, he was an angel, so I took him to the park and he loved it. So that's my positive for today!

• Like 4

• Members

My positive today:  I finally went through the mail.  I didn't do anything with it but I weeded out the junk & put the bills in a pile.  But that was something I've been putting off for a few weeks.  I also put all my sympathy cards in a pretty little box but now I think I might put them back up.  OMG can I just make a simple decision?????

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

1 hour ago, Sar123 said:

My positive is I had to create a new account (had to use a different email)after being locked out of my old account for days due to losing my password and not being able to reset it because it would never send me an email to do it with. Anyway I was successful in creating a new account. I was ready to give up! 

Long as you made it back - wb :)

46 minutes ago, Sheilz said:

My positive today:  I finally went through the mail.  

Oh man I am terrible about that these days. I check my mailbox less and less as it's all junk mail. 

• Like 1

• Members
Missing Him31623
On 6/9/2023 at 5:45 PM, RichS said:

Which is more important than any amount of money that you could have..............

Love

On 6/9/2023 at 5:45 PM, RichS said:

Which is more important than any amount of money that you could have..............

Love and Family 

• Like 2

• Members

A couple positives today.....  I renewed my car registration (online), cut up a melon & took the trash out.  Not sure they are positives but at least I got a couple things done.  Someone suggested I make a list of things to do & cross them off as I do them.  I tried, got discouraged because the list just kept getting longer & longer.  So now each day I make a list of things I do get done, or something that makes me smile.  Even the smallest things (like above) make me feel like I'm getting somewhere.  But haven't found something that makes me smile yet but I'm looking.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Your list idea is a smart one. And oh btw - you survived. In those earliest days of my journey through grief, I always considered that a mighty accomplishment. 

I did nothing of consequence. But I'm on PTO so in a way I consider that a positive :)   Been binge-watching movies this week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I live off lists, I keep a spiral notebook with things I need to do or appointments to go to, and cross things off but these are important things I don't want to forget, not insignificant.  I've been doing this for years, I have the two most recent ones, likely tossed the others away.

What's PTO?

My positive for yesterday, other than the power coming back under two hours, was Iris and I went to a new restaurant in town called Happy Belly Burger, they aren't equipped for Keto so I made us 90 second bread with Everything's Bagel seasoning and cheese in it and we had them put the burgers on them, OMG it was so wonderful! Monterey Jack Cheese, Mushrooms, grilled onions!

And for today...going back to the vet to get Kodie's stitches out. He's been a registered service dog and I've never tested his capabilities in a grocery store yet but am going to try him out on it today...I don't want to pay the gas to make another long trip back just for that so will take him in with me. He's a little too big to put in the basket so will halve his leash and tether to the cart...or me.  Wish me luck!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
10 hours ago, widower2 said:

Your list idea is a smart one. And oh btw - you survived. In those earliest days of my journey through grief, I always considered that a mighty accomplishment.

Writing a list with what I have accomplished seems to make me want to do "anything" to put it on the list.  So it is helping with doing things.  Not helping with the crying though.  And yes, I survived & that is a BIG accomplishment at this point.  All this pain & sadness & crying is taking it's toll and making me wonder if I'm going to be able to keep this up.  I know I don't have any option, but what happens.......  feeling so scared about my future.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Wish me luck!

Good luck on your big day.  You will get a lot accomplished too.  Hope you post how it went.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

Ah-ha, question answered!  And I'm glad their dog made it through okay!

Poor Kodie, getting his stitches out, they cut them VERY close to his face under his eye, each one hurt him and he cried but was instantly fine once they quit!  He went into the store with me and was a total angel! I just could not ask for a better dog! I put him in the top of the cart, next time will line it with his blanket, I know it wasn't comfortable but he was a real trooper. I came home and put him in the yard to do his business and drink some water and somewhere in there he managed to eat.  We went down to Jazzy's and sure enough she picked him up in her mouth and her mom had to get onto her, I knew she would, she always does, in spite of what an angel Iris thinks she is, that's wishful thinking. I let the dogs play about 45 min. and then walked him home, now he's sleeping off the day!  And you never saw a more made over dog than he was in the grocery store today!

Annie, enjoy Raleigh today/tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Thanks fh for the PTO explanation - sorry to hear about your BIL but glad you had a nice dinner. 

Kay glad Kodie is stitch free!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Annie, OMG, I totally missed the paragraph about your BIL and dog, just went up and reread...I am so sorry!  Are they back home? Praying for them both...

9 hours ago, Sar123 said:

I told them I wanted to talk about him and that I didn’t want him forgotten so they relaxed and we told a few stories about him that made us smile and laugh.

It sounds like in so doing, you made them both comfortable and I'm glad you got that time to share stories.  I'm glad you had that time and it sounds like a good day!

Found out when Iris and I went to dinner together night before last, it was their anv. as well as George's bdy.

• Hugs 1

• Members
13 hours ago, KayC said:

He went into the store with me and was a total angel! I just could not ask for a better dog!

And that was my positive for yesterday.  

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

I was so stressed about yesterday, what the vet would say/do, how it'd go in the store with him, I needn't have been. This morning I have my Spirometry testing, nervous about that, will be glad when it's over.  Don't much care for my doctor, but it's all there is locally and at my age I hate to drive more than I need to.  My BS was elevated a bit this morning in spite of doing under 20 carbs yesterday. Hoping it'll be normal tomorrow or even after our morning walk.

• Hugs 1

• Members

I got my blood test results in the e-mail yesterday and my Triglycerides are now in the good range. My cardiologist (with kind of a non-approving stare) suggested I start taking fish oil pills again a few months ago. Funny how things work out when you do the things you're supposed to do. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I went to the doctor for my spirometry test and they wouldn't administer it because I'm not on an inhaler.  Okay but my lung function is great so why would I take it! 

shake head.gif

The person that runs the diabetic group with me suggested to tell my doctor to put a note in my file.

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

My BIL of 50 years (who had been in perfect health) died of stomach cancer, why? Because the USDA approved Nexium and he was prescribed it.  Again, shake head. Of course the USDA knew it caused it but they're in cahoots with the drug companies (follow the $ trail!) who stand to make $ off of it.

I was prescribed it years ago too only went off after two days because I couldn't tolerate it. Turns out it was the carbs because now I don't have IBS.

So it could have been me.

• Sad 2

• Members

Kay:  I'm glad you made the right decision to stop taking that medication. I trust the drug companies as much as I trust the oil companies. Remember in the 70's we were warned that we were running out of oil? The U.S. was the largest exporter of oil last year. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Gator M said:

We're not supposed to get political

No we're not, so please don't. Also this is the positive  thread, remember? :) 

• Members
3 hours ago, Gator M said:

Ann told doctors her sister died of bone cancer...2 months later STILL not in her file...4 months later...she's dead...Multiple Myeloma.

My husband started complaining of stomach pain in April and his doctor told him it was just old age (he was 65 at the time) and to take probiotics and antacids. My husband told him it wasn’t heartburn. He was in pain all summer and kept telling me he was going to follow his dr’s orders even though I kept telling him his symptoms were not normal and to see another dr. He finally went back to the dr in October and he was still treating it was heartburn and had him on prilosec x 2 wks. With no improvement, my husband insisted on a scan and they discovered a tumor on his pancreas which turned out to be inoperable. As we met with new drs, they would ask if he had gone to his dr with his symptoms and when we told them he had and what happened, they were silent and changed the subject. It’s hard to find a good doctor. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Well I guess my positive out of that is that I didn't take Nexium and am still alive.

• Like 3

• Members

Well here's my positive:  I made myself a salad (not just lettuce) with red peppers & cheese & turkey.  It's been a long while since I've had one & it was either throw the stuff away or make a salad.  It was pretty good.  I struggle with eating alone though.  I hate it.

• Like 4

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Sheilz said:

Well here's my positive:  I made myself a salad (not just lettuce) with red peppers & cheese & turkey.  It's been a long while since I've had one & it was either throw the stuff away or make a salad.  It was pretty good. 

I eat salads more in the summer - most of mine are very simple though as I've gotten so lazy about making meals. I usually get the bagged salad and then maybe sprinkle some shredded carrots or sunflower seeds in.

Today I treated myself and had shrimp (I'd bought previously), something I rarely have. It was the store brand and they were kind of bland tbh, but nothing Old Bay can't help along :)  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Well thanks a lot you guys, now it's almost 11 PM and I'm hungry. In fact, I'm positive I'm hungry. 

• Haha 1

• Members
13 hours ago, shawnt said:

I add sunflower and sesame seeds and some nice cracked black pepper.

No seeds in my cupboard but I do have a lone (old) avocado that I forgot about.  I'll peek to see if it's any good when I make another salad.  That would go well in a salad too.  

3 hours ago, KayC said:

Anyway, it made my day. A perfect ending to a day that bummed out otherwise! :D

I'd say that was definitely a positive.  I wish I knew about Keto & your information before because Brian has diabetes and I struggle to keep his numbers good.  The last 8 months I had his A1C down to 6.1 and was pretty proud of that feat.  But he was on a lot of medication too.  I would have loved the challenge with the keto diet but was unaware.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

My son and my friend kept putting the bug in my ear for about a year, gently but my son showed me evidence and I knew it worked for my friend as well, I've known him for 7-8 years on my other grief site, as well as the diabetic group.  I'm amazed at all it's done for me.  And my son is not diabetic, he just believes in the very low carb way of life, at this rate, he'll never get it.  

And my husband too, that was before I was diagnosed, we did everything we were told, but alas they followed the 50 year old guidelines that didn't work.

• Like 2

• Members

This morning I went to a sports card show. They happen around 6-7 times a year; so I look forward to each one as they come around. Got some good buys for the money I spent. I'm glad that I'm still continuing to do this hobby.................

• Hugs 2

• Moderators

Went to a winery today, weather was perfect. Was supposed to meet some people who I couldn't find, so ended up being joined by a lady who was looking for a table so I offered mine, along with her daughter and daughter's friend (and the daughter's baby, who I was relieved was so well behaved) and had a nice time chatting with them. I remember thinking "why can't I have people like this for neighbors?" 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Funny how little things like that can help isn't it? I hate household chores but I love it when they're done :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

It 's not only the doctor and advice given, but everyone's body is unique and does not respond the same. I eat under 20 carbs a day yet am rarely in the 80s.  We aren't all cookie cutters, for sure, so John was one of the lucky ones.  ;)

Our church has had a long standing tradition of "Pies for the Guys" on Father's Day, they all get to take home a pie, so us women fix one and bring it to church.  When George was dying in the hospital on Father's Day, he was worried about his pie! :D So I told him, "This one's for you, George." I made a chocolate peanut butter cheesecake pie. ;)

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Yesterday i went a sicilian lunch with friends...one of them is born in Modica, a very beautiful little town in Sicily!

All is good! But when the sweet arrived there was a whole little block of chocolate between others...i can't eat chocolate 'cos i have reflux and immediately i'm sick !

I'm greedy and reluctantly i gave up to eat chocolate in every form! But yesterday i tried to taste it and this chocolate of Modica is so good that i understand why the Maya called it "food of the Gods"...

And most of all it does not hurt me! So good eat chocolate again...😂

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, ThereIsAField said:

What's this, Kay? 🙂

Keto Bread 90 Seconds

• ·        1 Tbsp melted butter
  • ·        3 Tbsp almond flour
  • ·        1 egg
  • ·        1/2 tsp baking powder
  • ·        Heaped 1 Tbsp Grated cheese (I use cheddar or parmesan)

1.   Mix, add grated cheese, sprinkle garlic powder, ¼  tsp everything bagel. Sprinkle more Everything Bagel when mixed.

2.   Microwave for 90 seconds in 5” bowl.

3.   Cool.

4.   Slice in half.
.4 net carbs w/o additives
Courtesy of Jason Alessandro

#Recipe

https://jenniferbanz.com/90-second-microwave-bread
https://gimmedelicious.com/90-second-keto-bread/#recipe
https://www.melaniecooks.com/keto-bread-microwave-almond-flour/13874/
https://www.eatingonadime.com/the-best-90-second-bread-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-17302

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Roxeanne said:

So good eat chocolate again...

I am so glad for you! I was allergic to fish and asparagus for 39 years and got it back two months ago, I was delighted!

Today I went to church and was helping in the kitchen and someone had brought a ton of cauliflower, all cleaned and cut up and told me to take home whatever people didn't eat, so I did and air fried it, it is wonderful and Kodie loves it so we can share!

7 hours ago, shawnt said:

Chocalote peanut butter cheesecake sounds very positive to me.

It would be if I could have had a slice, but we give the pies away and with no man in the house, no pie for me! :D Will have to make another someday...

• Like 2

• Moderators

I washed my car on the way home, first time since winter! It needed it badly. ;)

• Like 2

• Members
40 minutes ago, KayC said:

Keto Bread 90 Seconds

Thanks.  Copied it for the future.

• Like 1

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Keto Bread 90 Seconds

• ·        1 Tbsp melted butter
  • ·        3 Tbsp almond flour
  • ·        1 egg
  • ·        1/2 tsp baking powder
  • ·        Heaped 1 Tbsp Grated cheese (I use cheddar or parmesan)

1.   Mix, add grated cheese, sprinkle garlic powder, ¼  tsp everything bagel. Sprinkle more Everything Bagel when mixed.

2.   Microwave for 90 seconds in 5” bowl.

3.   Cool.

4.   Slice in half.
.4 net carbs w/o additives
Courtesy of Jason Alessandro

#Recipe

https://jenniferbanz.com/90-second-microwave-bread
https://gimmedelicious.com/90-second-keto-bread/#recipe
https://www.melaniecooks.com/keto-bread-microwave-almond-flour/13874/
https://www.eatingonadime.com/the-best-90-second-bread-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-17302

Kay, thanks so much for this recipe, it's simple enough which I like. I hate complicated recipes, I like simple foods. For sure I'll give it a try and see how it comes out. 

• Like 2

• Members
3 hours ago, Roxeanne said:

Yesterday i went a sicilian lunch with friends...one of them is born in Modica, a very beautiful little town in Sicily!

All is good! But when the sweet arrived there was a whole little block of chocolate between others...i can't eat chocolate 'cos i have reflux and immediately i'm sick !

I'm greedy and reluctantly i gave up to eat chocolate in every form! But yesterday i tried to taste it and this chocolate of Modica is so good that i understand why the Maya called it "food of the Gods"...

And most of all it does not hurt me! So good eat chocolate again...😂

Ciao Roxanne, I'm glad you had a good time and were able to eat the nice chocolate. I also had bad reflux which I have under control, but I still try to watch what I eat. Sometimes we need a little treat in life, we can't avoid all bad foods.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Positive for today:  I trimmed my rose bushes & brought some in & put in a vase.  They look pretty.  I'm trying to appreciate things like this........... hard while crying.  But they do look pretty.  The rest of the day sux but the roses make me smile a little.  Trying.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Spending an extra night at our cabin(like Sue and I often did). Had an outdoor shower and hot tub

I feel lonely but ok. Except for the 543797 mosquitoes that followed me in. All and all an ok day. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Members

I refuse to go without finding a positive but today was hard.  I had a therapist appt that sucked & it took all the energy out of me.  But I did do laundry so I will have clean & fresh clothes tomorrow.  That is a positive.

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Sheilz said:

I refuse to go without finding a positive but today was hard.  I had a therapist appt that sucked & it took all the energy out of me.  But I did do laundry so I will have clean & fresh clothes tomorrow.  That is a positive.

It is. I have a ton of laundry to do and blew it off. Not positive! Tomorrow I HAVE to do it.... 

• Haha 2