Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What positive can you list today?

KayC

• Moderators

On 6/18/2023 at 6:55 PM, shawnt said:

Except for the 543797 mosquitoes that followed me

This gave me a good laugh! I just ordered some ultrasonic pest control devices ($11.99 Amazon or WM) that put out a noise humans and pets can't hear but it keeps away mice and mosquitos, they send six of them.  Can't do anything about outdoors but it'll be nice to keep them from inside the house! Might try plugging one in outside the house once the rains have stopped.  Got down to 35 night before last! Snow on the pass.
Again, Kodie was my positive yesterday.  He got totally mucky playing with Jazzy, we had to rescue her from her kennel while Iris was in the valley, did that twice and was he a mess!  He got himself all cleaned up before I could even think of giving him a bath.

• Like 4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Spoke too soon...I'll put one in the kitchen and one in the utility room (only rooms I've gotten mice in and one in the shop and one in the storage room...animals don't need to be in there.
https://thanoshome.com/do-ultrasonic-pest-repellers-hurt-pets/?fbclid=IwAR0nIhTS3fDMfkBFEb0HI9v0glySX4h7jEZv9lPazbUFgYWqIEvK7xcXfrY#Do_Ultrasonic_Pest_Repellents_Affect_Cats

• Thanks 1

• Members

My mother in law used the rodent one and she swears it works, we used one at home but I think the cats did most of the work. Off produced a small clip on fan with replaceable cartridge for mosquitoes and it worked very well, alas it was pulled from the market(probably highly poisonous) and I have not found anything that works as well. I think if we live in the beauty of the outdoors we just have to put up with the bzzzz.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Spoke too soon...I'll put one in the kitchen and one in the utility room (only rooms I've gotten mice in and one in the shop and one in the storage room...animals don't need to be in there.
https://thanoshome.com/do-ultrasonic-pest-repellers-hurt-pets/?fbclid=IwAR0nIhTS3fDMfkBFEb0HI9v0glySX4h7jEZv9lPazbUFgYWqIEvK7xcXfrY#Do_Ultrasonic_Pest_Repellents_Affect_Cats

I hope they work better for you than they did for me! I found my best defense against pests in the summer were the frogs out back :)  

• Haha 1

• Members

I read up in it, they were tested, both the ultra sound ones and also the other stuff with the chemicals in them. The former didn't work, the latter a real health hazard. Oh well, too bad. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

My friend Iris had quite an infestation and I set up an electronic one with peanut butter in her kitchen.  Were getting one a day.  She set up the ultrasonic ones and the mice are GONE!  Her Husky doesn't seem unnerved by it but I sent her the article anyway, she has about three of them in her kitchen, probably overkill, esp. around pets. It's an open room with the living room and I think she has one in there as well.  Jazzy is often stuck in there in her kennel so I'd hate it if she is bothered by it.

• Like 1

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

Can't do anything about outdoors but it'll be nice to keep them from inside the house!

We've had one field mouse in our house over the past few days. We had (and probably still have) a human mouse trap; which Chris put away that you would put a tiny amount of cheese or whatever, catch them and take them a mile away to our park and release them. Can't just leave them outside; I heard that they're smart and will find their way back into your house (kind of like a middle aged son or daughter)

Salem ran into our friend the other night, chased him around, and when he finally cornered it, they were both staring at each other for about a minute. If the cat and mouse kingdoms ever found this out, they would both lose their membership cards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Members
3 minutes ago, RichS said:

We've had one field mouse in our house over the past few days. We had (and probably still have) a human mouse trap;

I certainly had to read that a couple of times to realize that there should be an "e" added to the end of "human"!

• Haha 2

• Members
I miss you so much
On 6/16/2023 at 11:55 PM, Sar123 said:

. He finally went back to the dr in October and he was still treating it was heartburn and had him on prilosec x 2 wks. With no improvement, my husband insisted on a scan and they discovered a tumor on his pancreas which turned out to be inoperable. As we met with new drs, they would ask if he had gone to his dr with his symptoms and when we told them he had and what happened, they were silent and changed the subject. It’s hard to find a good doctor. 

I can imagine how you must feel about that...

• Sad 2

• Moderators

IMO the most human(E!) ;)  mouse trap is the old-fashioned ones because they are quick. I would not recommend the "box" ones which trap the mouse because I tried that and it died anyway - and I think I realized why - it either suffocated or died of fright because it couldn't get out of that extremely cramped area it was in all night. I felt terrible about it and would never use or recommend. And hopefully it goes without saying the glue traps are horribly cruel and shouldn't even be legal.

I guess maybe if you had a bigger trap which has sufficient air flow (like a small cage) that would be best.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/16/2023 at 2:55 PM, Sar123 said:

As we met with new drs, they would ask if he had gone to his dr with his symptoms and when we told them he had and what happened, they were silent and changed the subject.

I am so sorry for what you went through and to know it needn't have turned out this way is truly hard.  I had the same thing with regards to my husband's heart...his doctor ignored his complaints and never referred him to a Cardiologist.  I went in to see him after George died, both myself and someone else went through the loss of our husband (both heart), same experience...I extracted a promise from the doctor that what happened to us would not happen again.  The doctor thought he could handle anything...he was wrong.  BTW I used to work for that doctor.

• Sad 1

• Members

I watched a few videos last year on how to make your own humane mouse trap when I was dealing with a mouse problem. I had planned to attempt it but then adopted my cat Daniel instead....but I love how inventive this is.

• Like 3

• Members

A positive for today.....  Before I started this awful journey I made a big purchase at Bath & Body of all the soaps I will need for the summer.  Well my positive is that I opened up the box finally & put the soaps away.  AND... I sniffed each one.  It was a pleasant experience.  But now with only one person in the house they will last until xmas. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

After I read your post Sheila I went to my wife's drawer in our bathroom and got a wonderful whiff of my love. Thank you for letting me remember it was definitely my positive for the day.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Two positives today.

I got a good start on some long overdue gardening. It was sunny for the second day in a row! Windy, but nice.

A friend stopped by for a short visit. She has been very busy with family and home stuff, so Cosi doesn’t know her well. But my girl said, “I remember you! You’re our friend.” And she was right over weaving, saying hi, and showing her toys.

Yesterday’s positive was taking a friend out for a birthday lunch. We sat outside and had delicious, fresh, casual food with the sun shining (we found a table with shade) and a view of the ocean. It was nice.

• Like 1

• Moderators

My positive for today: I remembered my beloved in a good, not painful, way. I was in the living room and standing in front of the TV watching something briefly and as I turned to exit and because I wasn't paying attention, almost ran right into a chair and fell. I could see her laughing and/or making a joke about my stupidity. :) 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I stayed late at work to play a game with my coworkers.  They were beta testing a board game that can be used to teach new staff and students.  We also got pizza.  So that was fun.  

• Like 4

• Members
11 hours ago, widower2 said:

My positive for today: I remembered my beloved in a good, not painful, way.

What a wonderful positive.  

I long for that day.....

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Same here.....................the last several years were rough on Chris and tough for me to watch. I tried to do what I could.

• Hugs 2

• Moderators

I spent HOURS scheduling posts for my diabetic group, I had eye strain last night, this morning didn't help much, also had someone messaging me with loss of love relationship.  My eyes are literally buggy right now! Up since 2:30 am so have already put in 7 1/2 hours but I got it done!  So that's my positive.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Sorry, I strayed off a little on my last post.................

My positive for today was:

1)  We did our weekly grocery shopping for 3 1/2 men and got everything put away.

2) We're finally getting our hallway ceiling repaired tomorrow. It had water damage due to a roof leak.

• Like 4

• Members

My positive .... a friend dropped off a book for me to read and left it in the yard before she went to work.  A mystery.  I felt very fortunate to have a friend to do that.  I didn't have the heart to tell her that I can't read yet.  No focus or concentration.  But I sat with it on my lap & pretended I was going to read.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I had a nice walk down memory lane with one of my son's about Disney land when they were young, it was nice and I didn't cry until he left the room. I take that as a win and yesterday's positive.

• Like 4

• Moderators

My positive is my daughter's birthday is Monday and I knew she'd have to work but we just made plans to meet Sunday. So excited to see her!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

My doctor's appt. went well today, I was upset with my A1C as it went from 5.7 to 5.8 but everything else was great! My insulin resistance (triglycerides/HDL) is supposed to be under 1.5-2 and it was .81 so I was really happy about that, I don't know anyone else's that low and I've worked at it so hard for 3 1/2 years. My platelets were up from the throat/tongue issue and it was lower this year so I was stoked about that, if they tested it right now (this was done over 5 weeks ago) it'd likely be in range, so I'm happy it's going down and my calcium, WBC are in the middle range.  So all in all, a good visit except I may have to give up coffee to get my A1C down more.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@KayCyou've got to be kidding me your A1C is great. I kept mine steady at 5.9 for 4 straight years until I retired and my whole routine changed. My last in April 7.1. over the edge. I also had an appointment today and all my labs were good and my A1C came down to 6.7 and I was happy I was lowering it. Because of my taste loss slowly recovering I still can't eat the right foods and get enough calories to regain the weight I lost.

I'm going to nick name you picky Kay for your A1C comment and offer to trade numbers whenever you're ready. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Members

Well my positive is medical too.  I had 3 medical tests today, all at different times & locations, & I made it to all 3.  I cried at the reception desk at one, cried through the first test, cried through the second test BUT not a tear during the third test.  Is that progress??????  Not sure but the waiting game starts for test results.  Yuck.  

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Sheilz, I'm so sorry, I want to cry with/for you!  Glad that is done. I waited 5 1/2 weeks to get my results, no paper copy, just over the phone and their portal is the most sucky I've ever seen...worthless.  He said my LDL  was too high and I said unless he tested for fluffy & dense, it doesn't tell me anything.  I've learned a thing or two on my diabetic site! ;)

They want our A1C <5-5.5 so not happy with 5.8 esp. eating under 20 carbs/day! But sure am stoked about my Insulin Resistance!

We'll see what today brings!

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Nothing like fresh from the garden!

I've having steak tonight. Not fresh from the garden, but still :) 

• Like 2

• Moderators

What, you didn't kill and butcher the cow?! When I was married to my kids' dad, he'd come out from elk hunting, drop an elk here (at least he skinned and gutted it first) and I'd call the other wives, "Come over tonight, we're butchering an elk (or two)."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Members

Spectacular, Kay. That’s one thing I love about our house, the views. It’s older (1965) and was last remodeled by the previous owners in 1991. It’s got quirks, needs some more work, and the yard is very small because it’s a “beach tract” lot size, though we’re not on the beach. But the views sold it for us.

We can see the bay and bits of the ocean in the near distance. I grew up within an hour of the ocean. I didn’t think I would ever be able to own a house where I could actually see it, but given a choice between this old house or a newer, fancier one inland, I would choose this one without question.

The sunsets are stunning year round, which is wonderful, but it’s being able to see and sometimes hear the ocean that gives me a feeling of calm.

• Like 3

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

Got this picture night before last, at a neighbor's (can't view sunsets on my place because of the forest)...hope you all enjoy it!

This one belongs on a postcard, paid for by the Oregon Board of Tourism!!

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

I wish I could see that view without going out to the street, but it's the price I pay for my trees!

• Members
12 minutes ago, KayC said:

I wish I could see that view without going out to the street, but it's the price I pay for my trees!

I hear you................if I had to cut down all the trees in my back yard, I'd have to get another mortgage!

• Haha 1

• Moderators

They are worth something cut, but worth more to me, living.  Last week a ranger came here and cut my 46 year old lilac tree, didn't announce himself, nothing, by the time Kodie alerted me, it was too late.  I am literally mourning that tree.  It looked better than it ever had before after my tree guy had his way with it...and then this. It was a start from my MIL's lilac tree, the first thing I ever planted here.  He said he thought he was doing me a favor.  No!  (They've been doing defensible space here required by the gov't after our wildfires here)...then he went on to say it probably would have been okay, it's always green. Yeah, ya think! :(

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

She sounds like she has a clue. More than can be said for some believe me. Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members
14 hours ago, foreverhis said:

but it’s being able to see and sometimes hear the ocean that gives me a feeling of calm.

No Ocean here but if i could see and hear  our old Mediterraneum Sea "mare nostrum" i'd feel better...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Sheilz said:

First appt is Wednesday night. 

I'm so glad, it sounds like you found one that gets it..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
1 hour ago, Gator M said:

I made it through church this morning.  I did not cry but I had NO ENERGY.  I could not wait to get home

Right there with you my friend. Outside of receiving communion, the only other thing I felt I did was put money in the collection basket. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
2 hours ago, Gator M said:

I made it through church this morning.  I did not cry but I had NO ENERGY.  I could not wait to get home...which I hate...go figure.

It's the little things that can make up big things so this was definitely a positive.  But aren't we walking contradictions lately.  Can't wait to get home but hate it....... Hate to be alone but want them to leave soon.... hungry but no appetite or energy to eat.  What is going on???????

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Yes, I have a positive.  I trimmed the hedges out front of the house & a gentleman walked by & told me I was doing a good job and that Brian would be proud of me.  The tears came but I continued on and finished them.  Now to just figure out how to get them to stop growing.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 2