Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What positive can you list today?

KayC

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Sheilz said:

Yes, I have a positive.  I trimmed the hedges out front of the house & a gentleman walked by & told me I was doing a good job and that Brian would be proud of me.  The tears came but I continued on and finished them. 

This is cry worthy!  It brought tears to MY eyes to hear!

My positive for yesterday was not only having lunch with my daughter and walking along the river, but I took Kodie with me (service dog) and he was so good in the restaurant and grocery store!  He really listened and heeded what I said.  I am so proud of him! He was registered last Fall but we're just starting out implementing it, his vest was too tight and they wouldn't exchange it in spite of their specifications being off, so had to order another one (and pay for it), but I wore the id tag so it was all good.  I would have alot rather had him riding in the upper part of the cart as I feel more connected to him that way, but he was tethered and on the floor, and SO GOOD!!  Last night he was really tuckered out!  Long day. I asked the guy at Figaro's (inside Winco) for water for his bowl and he said they didn't have any. I thought that was crap, wouldn't eat there even if I wasn't on Keto! He hadn't drank for five hours! So we had to traipse clear across the store to the drinking fountain to get some water.  But it's nice to not have to worry about "getting home for Kodie"...although I still had that for Jazzy. Iris is losing her mind...said she'd pick up her daughter at the airport at 3 and wouldn't be home until dark, I knew she was getting groceries after and figured they'd get a bite to eat.  So I figured she must have left by1:30 so I rescued Jazzy out of her kennel (no food, water or exercise) after I got home between 4:30 and 5:15, eating my dinner late, but I got a phone message from her AFTER I'd left to meet my daughter for lunch saying she was picking her daughter up from the airport at 4:45!  Big difference. Had I known that I would have gotten Jazzy out AFTER eating, as it is it left her with another 3 1/2-4 hours.  I just feel so sorry for Jazzy sometimes!  I don't understand why she doesn't leave her loose in the house so she could at least move around, eat and drink!

• Like 2

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

I just feel so sorry for Jazzy sometimes!  I don't understand why she doesn't leave her loose in the house so she could at least move around, eat and drink!

This one tugs at my heartstrings..................how would anyone feel if they were locked in a room, were hungry, or needed to go to the bathroom????

Anyway............my positive for today is we're going to pay for a mass to be said in rememberance of Chris on her birthday (July 20th) and I'm getting a needed haircut. The back of my neck looks like I'm the wolfman.........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Members

Hi Gail, good to have you back and I'm so glad you're feeling better, the sense of smell will return soon enough.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Unexpected positive: 
This morning our power went out at 6 am.  I reported it, walked Kodie, walked him again, drove into Oakridge and walked him at the park.  Got home, called them again...soon as I hung up it came back on again! Yay!  Second time in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

wb Gail!

Glad you got power back quickly Kay - they were calling for big storms here last night and we lose power easily so I thought oh #### here we go, but despite a lot of thunder and lightning, which put on quite a show, there was little rain or wind, so didn't lose power. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Ours was birds hitting the line, it happened about 12 days ago too, they're replacing it with insulated so it doesn't continue to happen.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

ouch.  I thought all lines were zap-proof these days...

• Like 1

• Moderators

We're out in the country, everything needs replaced, they never want to spend the $.  The old phone lines were even worse.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I'm glad you went and felt enjoyment, even if there were those other moments...

• Hugs 2

• Members
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

.....OK we wanna play rough do we. 

But he is a stubborn little SOB! Unfortunately for him, so am I.... 

Groundhog wars.  I have friends who have been in similar battles.   Good luck. 

I look forward to hearing about future skirmishes.  It will be entertaining for those of us who are not directly impacted!

Gail

• Like 1

• Moderators

In the words of the great Bugs Bunny:  "Of course you know, this means war." 

• Haha 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I had a delightful day watching my 4 year old grandson playing in a little inflatable swimming pool with 8 inches of water in it and a few colorful balls. He had so much fun making up games and stories about his deep sea adventures.

Reminds me of this Stone Soup with Alix and her deep sea adventures!
Alix-snorkel-bag-jim

10 hours ago, widower2 said:

So he dug another hole next to it. :angry2: I put another cinder block next to that which blocked that whole section.

This sounds like MY life! :D I love it!

• Haha 2

• Moderators

My positive is I finally got my place mowed and weedwhacked!  Did it need it!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Roxeanne said:

I know someone who surrendered...

So not happening. :)  Actually if it wasn't for chewing on my deck/fence and digging holes I could have tolerated it, but he crossed the line.

• Haha 2

• Members

I baby sat two of my grand kids yesterday, they are 3 and 5. They are great fun to have around. This morning I had coffee with a couple of guys from church. We usually meet once a week. If that doesn’t make you officially old I don’t know what does. Lol! Tonight I made a couple of strawberry pies. This is the last of the strawberries. I have been giving the pies to family and friends. Tomorrow it’s off to the boat at Lake Michigan for the holiday weekend for a few days. Lots of positive things happening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

The church/coffee thing reminded me of how my great uncle got my best friend and I to go out with him for breakfast once in awhile (he lived next door and was also a widower at at the time) - after my dad retired, he'd go sometimes, and they went to the same church so the group grew and after awhile was a semi-regular thing with anywhere from a few to a dozen or so guys going. I doubt it would happen, but I'd like for something like that as my elder years approach.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Start or suggest it! Sometimes everyone else is wishing the same thing and no one steps up to the plate.  Just coffee and a place to meet, it's all that's needed.  We had that with people at our church, casual, maybe a dozen showing up, maybe six...before Covid.  I miss that.

My doctor called last night, said he heard I wanted to talk to him about the COPD...I said I went into his office for the spirometry test and she wouldn't do it because I haven't been on breathalyzers for over two years. I told him I could get one done and bring my old breathalyzer but no one had told me to bring it.  I told him my lungs are great and my oxygen level is 97.  He said he'd take it off my records!

Happy New Year Vintage GIF

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
12 minutes ago, Gator M said:

Today started out really bad...BUT I managed to pay bills.

And thank God you had the money to pay them........................

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
7 hours ago, KayC said:

I told him my lungs are great and my oxygen level is 97.  He said he'd take it off my records

Outstanding news, Kay!  Yay!  That is a big positive for your day.

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, foreverhis said:

Outstanding news, Kay!  Yay!  That is a big positive for your day.

It sure was!  I had a horrid afternoon so that was my one plus at the end!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I know what a small silly thing this is in the grand scheme, but my positive was no new groundhog mischief. Bill Murray would be so happy. 

• Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
50 minutes ago, widower2 said:

my positive was no new groundhog mischief.

Maybe he dug a tunnel to your neighbor's back yard??

• Haha 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gator M said:

Get a gopher snake

Nah, I don't want to kill him - besides, this is one big and clearly ornery groundhog. He might just have the snake for lunch!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, RichS said:

Maybe he dug a tunnel to your neighbor's back yard??

Wishful thinking!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

My positive today is we went on our walk and there was a loose pack of dogs and I stood firm with them and told them to GO!...they did.  You could tell they didn't want to but I persisted and was so thankful...I don't want them to attack Kodie and knock me down, that has happened before. Also ran across the dog that did that before (causing Kodie a trip to the ER) and his owner handed the reins to his 7 year old son, I thought him out of his mind!  When he took them back I was relieved.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, KayC said:

My positive today is we went on our walk and there was a loose pack of dogs and I stood firm with them and told them to GO!...they did.  You could tell they didn't want to but I persisted and was so thankful...I don't want them to attack Kodie and knock me down, that has happened before. Also ran across the dog that did that before (causing Kodie a trip to the ER) and his owner handed the reins to his 7 year old son, I thought him out of his mind!  When he took them back I was relieved.

Don't get me started on the long list of people who should never be allowed to own a dog and how the govt should have some kind of tracking program like they do for sex offenders...

6 hours ago, SSC said:

Yesterday would have been our 40th wedding anniversary, I didn’t do anything special but thanked God I was given the opportunity to have a good and happy relationship for the majority of my life where others haven’t.  For me that’s progress, not having a meltdown but looking for the positive.

I’m loving your groundhog updates Widower2!  They make me laugh!

So glad you were able to have that perspective. I try to.

Re the ####ing, #$#$&^%#*^&@ groundhog, he dug another hole by just digging around and under the cinder block! SO pissed at this little blankety-blank. What do I have to do, set off a baby nuke?? Definitely need to get to that store to look for some kind of groundhog repellent. Thought about a trap, but they're pricey and if I let him go elsewhere he may find his way back. 

• Hugs 1

• Members
31 minutes ago, widower2 said:

Don't get me started on the long list of people who should never be allowed to own a dog and how the govt should have some kind of tracking program like they do for sex offenders...

So glad you were able to have that perspective. I try to.

Re the ####ing, #$#$&^%#*^&@ groundhog, he dug another hole by just digging around and under the cinder block! SO pissed at this little blankety-blank. What do I have to do, set off a baby nuke?? Definitely need to get to that store to look for some kind of groundhog repellent. Thought about a trap, but they're pricey and if I let him go elsewhere he may find his way back. 

I hate groundhogs too. Where the park my mobile home is , it is overrun with them. Under the decks, under sheds, everywhere. They eat the Hostas plants when they are young and they render them pretty useless after they've been chewed up. Owner of the place doesn't seem to be doing anything either, sigh. They're on the grass munching away like cows, and some of them are pretty big. The place is even overrun with cotton tailed rabbits, running and jumping all over the place. Not much I can do, unless the problem is fixed site wide. Maybe we need a few coyotes running in the back woods.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 6/29/2023 at 7:55 AM, KayC said:

So he dug another hole next to it. :angry2: I put another cinder block next to that which blocked that whole section.

Just what you didn't need...............a smart groundhog. You keep putting cinder blocks in the ground next to each other and you'll have built a foundation for an addition to your house!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

I know not everyone is a dog lover, for some it might be cats or something else at all but I find great support in my service dog...one reason it's included in my Tips article to explore...

Love of dog.JPG

• Like 4

• Members
20 hours ago, widower2 said:

. . . Thought about a trap, but they're pricey and if I let him go elsewhere he may find his way back. 

My friend who had a lengthy groundhog war had an unknown number of groundhogs living under his porch.  He trapped one and drove it a few miles away and released it.  Several days later he trapped another and did the same.  The third groundhog he trapped, while it was still in the trap, my friend sprayed a small dot of white paint on the groundhog's back before he let it go.   "Spot" showed up back at his porch within 24 hours. 

Next time he caught Spot he drove him 60 miles away, across 2 rivers.  Spot never returned. 

Gail

• Haha 3

• Members
3 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

Next time he caught Spot he drove him 60 miles away, across 2 rivers.  Spot never returned.

It's a good thing no one told Spot that there was such a thing called Greyhound buses.......................

• Haha 3

• Moderators

Baked this morning, went to the church for their BBQ, most of it outside, too hot for me, only stayed half the time.  Took Kodie to play with Jazzy, even they were hot. 97 on my back patio, so much for the 88 they predicted.  Didn't believe them anyway. Inside A/C but it's a prayer at best.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Went to a cookout, nothing amazing but no complaints, all kinds of food and just glad not to be alone on a holiday. Very hot out but this was under a pavilion so it wasn't bad. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1