• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John9

• KayC

• tnd

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes its true when I go to church I have friends there.  But I only see them at church.  Nobody cares about me.  My children are grown and have their own lives.  There are a few people I call friends but I don't get to see them because they have families and lives.  So all I see is myself.   I hate this but I will survive someway.  God is here with me.

Yes its true when I go to church I have friends there.  But I only see them at church.  Nobody cares about me.  My children are grown and have their own lives.  There are a few people I call friends but I don't get to see them because they have families and lives.  So all I see is myself.   I hate this but I will survive someway.  God is here with me.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Hey April, 

It is truly hard living without our soulmates and waking up to an empty home.  Like many of us, I’ve learned who my true family and friends are.  Some folks may not reach out because they don’t want to acknowledge they will eventually be in the same situation as us.  They have their blinders on.  People do have their own lives, but a kind word or gesture can go a long ways.  I hope your loneliness soon diminishes. 

Take care, steve

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Kevin O said:

So I will miss the fact that he is missing those days for the first time.

Yes, the only reason I decorate...no one comes over, so only Kodie and I see it, but I do it for George, hoping he sees my effort.  He loved all the holidays.

19 hours ago, April Ballou said:

I'm just going through the motions most of the time.

I'm so sorry, April.  I keep to my schedule, but get hit with weather events like we're having this week and beyond...I feel I'm in survival mode..

14 hours ago, John9 said:

I haven't heard from any of my loving wife's family in months

George's family did not keep in touch.  His dad didn't bother coming to his funeral (he lives two hours away and was offered a ride) but called a year later badmouthing him.  I reminded him of the caring things George did for him (horrible old man that he was!) and told him to call back when he had something nice to say and hung up...he never did.  So much for his family...11 kids in his family, only one lived too far away, one was deceased, the rest all could have driven to the funeral but only 3 did.  Didn't hear from them again except one wrote from prison wanting something he didn't have.  Nice.  Leeches.

3 hours ago, April Ballou said:

But I only see them at church.  Nobody cares about me

Uh-huh!  I get it!  Sounds like my life.  I'm sorry, April!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

John9 I've been trying to figure out a way to word this without offending anyone. I met my partner when I was in my mid 40's and we we together for just over 20 years. I had a life before I met him. I spent 20 some years living alone in apartments and was relatively happy. I have moments when I tell myself 'yes it takes time. Relax. Process your grief. No time limit. You got this. You did it before you met him. It's all going to be fine someday'. 35 years seems like that could be most of your adult life. Where do you find the strength to go on? What helps you get through your day?  How do you create a new routine?  How does someone create a new life when there's nothing to base it on?  I'm hoping this post is not upsetting to you because the point of the post is my admiration in how you appear to be handling your daily struggle.  And I have no doubt that this is the struggle of your life.  But you are still willing to help others with your words. And it is appreciated. Take care John. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
12 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

No one has telephoned me today. No reason that they should.  It is just a very quiet lonely existence much of the time. 

Gail 8588,

As you are aware, I am no where near as far on my painful journey as you are. I understand most of what you have said and I fully agree with it. It is funny in a way what you say about drinking and smoking. I don't do either but when I first met my loving wife she did smoke and she drank some. I never tried to stop either of her habits because I loved her. She stopped drinking after our Son and when her Grandparents died in 2007 she stopped smoking. I know it isn't quite the same in regards to a friend versus a person who you might want a relationship with. But that discussion has come up and I see similar things no matter who you might want to be with. I said before that things have definitely changed in so many ways since 1986 when I met my loving wife. I am a lot less trusting now of anyone, because I don't know if they have an ulterior motive. I am also too old to make new old friends. for that same reason. I hope that this doesn't sound as if I am looking for a relationship because I am not and feel that I never will again. Take care, John

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
1 hour ago, April Ballou said:

But I will make it with God's help.

April,

You certainly will make it:)!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

It might help her to accept it that way.  And the price of gas is beginning to go down a bit.  The lowest here in Oregon was $5.50/gal - $6.00.  Now Costco is 3.80, everywhere else here over $4.  (Eugene/Springfield, OR)

• Like 2

• Members

My house is all electric and I know that last year my electric bill was $300 for December,  January,  and February.   I pry its not going to be like that.  I will get my December bill tomorrow.   I'm lucky we have a well for water, no water bill.  God blessed me with my house back in January of 2021.  Just in time because we had a very bad cold spell then.  I know that God will supply me with the funds to pay my electric bill.  I will stay warm.  That's why God gave me my house,  so I can stay warm in the winter. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

Gas was $5.50 at Eugene Costco and has recently gone down to $3.80, everywhere else higher.  Not sure about heating oil but think it's higher.  I quit using it years ago for that reason.  Am on all firewood now.  Messy but fail proof.  Six winters ago I got a new wood stove and it's so nice not seeing smoke coming out of the chimney!  The combustor is great.  Unfortunately the thermostat isn't working right, have to have it turned all the way down and still it burns too hot but it's better now that the temperatures have dropped, it's mainly in the shoulder season (Fall, Spring).  I love it still heats when the electricity is off, nearly four years ago power was off over 8 days!  Which also meant no water, internet, telephone, road crews, mail delivery, etc.  Couldn't even pee in the back yard!  Couldn't get back there, 4'5" snow frozen to a brick of ice at 18 degrees F.  It was rough, I hope never to see that again.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

How is the current bill, April?  My electric is about $85-95/month, but my firewood is on top of that, it used to be $90 but now has risen, I just paid $135 for not even 1/2 cord!  And it'll last me maybe two weeks.

John, how are you doing?  Thinking of you as we go through this holiday season.

• Like 2

• Members
7 hours ago, KayC said:

John, how are you doing?  Thinking of you as we go through this holiday season.

KayC,

Thank you for asking, All I can say is I am still here. I am not doing well, this loneliness is terrible and the weather is all over the place. We had 2 different high wind advisory events within the same week. Rainy, dreary and cold also. I just want all of this to end. Sorry to sound so down, but this is just so wrong.

1 hour ago, foreverhis said:

I will pay the price because I hate being cold in my own home!

foreverhis,

I agree about paying whatever you have to pay to be warm, however it isn't always something everyone is able to do. I sit under a blanket most mornings after I wake up because I just have a chill. I know if my loving wife was still alive, the heat would be set at a higher temperature than it is now.

• Like 1

• Moderators

When it's 72 in here I'm freezing!  Have to bundle up, it doesn't hold the heat very well, older mobile homes are notorious for that.  I feel a chill.  The $135 for wood I bought will last me a couple of weeks, not exactly a "truckload" as promised.

• Hugs 3

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

When it's 72 in here I'm freezing!  Have to bundle up, it doesn't hold the heat very well, older mobile homes are notorious for that.  I feel a chill.  The $135 for wood I bought will last me a couple of weeks, not exactly a "truckload" as promised.

KayC,

Sadly there are many factors in why we feel a chill, even when the temperature says we should be warm. I know when there is any rain or snow I just can't get warm. And then on the days when the outside temperature is a little too warm, and still cold the house can't seem to get warm either. My loving wife used to always seem to have a chill on those days and now it seems as if I do as well. Too bad you aren't near me because I have all kinds of "firewood" you could have. When we first were clearing for the house, one of my loving wife's Aunts had a house that used a wood burning furnace and she took wood whenever she would visit. Now it is just a place for all of the small critters to live in. I had at one time piled some by the side of the road, but the city didn't like that so I don't do it anymore. I had looked into converting or purchasing an outdoor burner that would connect to me furnace but there was an issue with the installation so that went nowhere.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
5 hours ago, KayC said:

I understand that's why I got a newer mobile home in 2021.  I wasn't able to stay warm by myself in the mobile home Darrell and I lived in 26 years.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
7 hours ago, KayC said:

Sigh...medical care is not what it used to be.

KayC,

Hopefully what you had removed isn't cancer, but if it is hoping that you caught it soon enough for treatment. Sadly the comment about medical care, fits just about everything now. And everything is so much more expensive to be treated so poorly. Hopefully the shop floor can be fixed , at least temporarily to keep the skunks and other critters out. Take care, John

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Praying for you too, Kay. I know melanoma cancer has been a long time concern for you. ❤️

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Kay,

I am so sorry about the burn and the cancer.  I hope you can get some help from your kids.

Avoiding getting an infection in that deep burn has got to be a priority.  Maybe the skin cancer doctor will call in a prescription for antibiotics for you because of the burn.  

Take some photos of the burn to send to the Doctor's office.  I did that for a tick bite that I though was likely Lyme disease. The Dr. looked at my photos and agreed, calling in a prescription without my having to actually go in to the Dr office. 

The Dr doesn't want you to be battling an infection when you come in for surgery on 12/20. 

This is one of those times when  you really need some help.  If your kids won't take you in I hope you will ask for help at church or elsewhere. 

Gail

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

KayC,

I am sorry that it was cancerous, hopefully it was caught in time and they can treat you. I am also sorry that you have to deal with a burn as well. I agree with Gail 8588 and hope that there is someone who can help with the snow and firewood. Hoping that your hand gets better and keep us posted on everything. Take care, John

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

KayC

Very sorry to hear of the cancer and burn. I am praying for you and also hope family and or friends will be there, as they should, to help you now. 

God bless!!

Robert

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@KayC my thoughts and prayers are with you.   I know that God will help you.  I don't know what to say about the wood issue.   I trust that God will lead you and guide you.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1