• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John9

• KayC

• tnd

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hurricane Ian update.  It looks like Tallahassee (where I live) is going to be on the weak side of the storm.  That's good news for me.   

Ian has shifted a bit east.  Gainesville will be on the strong side of the storm but hopefully far enough away from it that it won't be too bad in the center of the state.

My heart goes out to Tampa and the coastal communities to the north of Tampa.  This could be a very bad storm for them.  

Gail

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Keeping an eye on it, I have a friend in the FL panhandle, a bit inland, not much, and also another in Virginia on the coast.

• Like 1

• Members

Kay, 

Everyone in the panhandle of Florida is still keeping an eye on this storm. It's path is still uncertain.  Some of the models have it veering northwest after it passes Cuba. Those models have it stalling out in the north central Gulf dumping rain on the panhandle for several days before slowly creeping north, possibly as far west as Pensacola.   That is not the model that is favored by the National Hurricane Center,  but it is one of those spaghetti strands when they show a composite of what all the different models are forecasting. 

Only time will tell where Ian will actually go. 

Gail

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

Gail, I will be gone Wednesday through Saturday night but you will be in my prayers.  I don't have my laptop anymore and my new one is at my son's, where I thought I'd be headed for evacuation...need my son to install something compatible with Office on it so I can use my files.  As always, it's hard to get audience with him.  Even worse I need him to come fix my wood stove enough to make it usable this winter...my only source of heat, which we can need any given moment...

Praying you make it through this and it weakens before hitting your area.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

My friend Marty who has the other grief site I've been at for 17 years....she is in Sarasota, the eye of the hurricane.  Last night I heard "Eye of the Storm" come on the radio...wishing she could hear it and feel God's protection.  They have evacuated part of the city, but not where she is last I heard, but not sure as this was hours later I heard of the evacuation.  I just pray she is safe...she is elderly.  She's an amazing person, a retired grief counselor and has devoted her life to her site.

• Hugs 4

• Members

Well as if I didn't have enough on my plate to deal with I found out that my Uncle passed away.  So much death.

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 2

• Members
1 hour ago, April Ballou said:

Well as if I didn't have enough on my plate to deal with I found out that my Uncle passed away.  So much death.

April,

I am sorry for your loss. And you are correct, So much death and it can be so overwhelming when you have to cope all alone too. Take care, John

• Like 2

• Members
12 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Millions of people in Florida are at risk for the next 48 hours.  I, luckily,  am not one of them. 

Gail 8588,

I am glad for you, but sadly many more will have a mess to deal with. Last I heard it was heading directly to the area where my friend had his Florida property. He would have really been watching and wondering if he was going to have any damage. But that is a problem for the new owner now, hopefully they protected their investment and insured it too. Take care and be safe. John

• Like 2

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

My friend Marty who has the other grief site I've been at for 17 years....she is in Sarasota, the eye of the hurricane.  Last night I heard "Eye of the Storm" come on the radio...wishing she could hear it and feel God's protection.  They have evacuated part of the city, but not where she is last I heard, but not sure as this was hours later I heard of the evacuation.  I just pray she is safe...she is elderly.  She's an amazing person, a retired grief counselor and has devoted her life to her site.

KayC,

I hope your friend is okay as well as everyone else in Florida. My friend had his property in the area that was supposed to be in the main target area last I heard. I know if he was still alive he would be very worried. I feel for the people who are in the area and hope it isn't as bad as some have been. But we can only wait now and see. Take care, John

• Like 2

• Members
3 hours ago, NiquesMom said:

The wind has started. Cold, drizzly, power keeps flickering. Not sure how bad the winds going to be. They are predicting 8-12 inches of rain today and tomorrow. Kyle and I are hunkering down, trying not too stress. School and work closed the rest of the week. Feel terrible for those down south.

NiquesMom,

I hope that you and Kyle are safe and that where you are is not too bad. I feel terrible for the people who were hit directly too. Take care, John

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Hello all,

Hope everyone in Florida made it through okay. It is another weekend and I am going through a little episode of coughing and sore throat. Took a Covid test and it was negative, so does that mean I failed again.🙄 It just sucks to feel crappy while all alone and makes me miss my loving wife "more" as if that is possible. It is 81 weeks today and I miss my loving wife more each and every day and night. Take care, John

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

John9....I just prayed for you John9....Glad the test was negative! I know what you mean by missing "more"....I really do ...we all call it a journey in here, so I've learned....one that we never expected to take in this life, I suppose. But...now that we're on it.....I'm going to try and take the great advice in here and know that my beloved loves me...I love her....and try a little each day...I said 'try'   lol...to go forward....'as best as can be'....I hope you have a day that gets better and better. God bless! Robert

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Robert D,

Thank you for the prayers and the well wishes. I too do try to do what I can to make it through this journey. I definitely never expected to be here all alone at this stage of my existence. My loving wife was younger than I was and I had hoped that whenever our time came, we would go together like her Grandparents did, within 2 weeks of each other. As someone had stated before we hoped to spend the rest of our life together, My loving wife got to do that and now I have to exist for the rest of mine all alone without her. Take care, John

• Like 2

• Members

Sim7079.....Interestingly....today I feel good....kind of a step forward...a small one...but I feel good....I am getting a walk in....did a chore earlier.....and whereas its been hard to motivate to do anything...at least for today...by doing a little more...I feel a little better. And I do agree about trying to have some happiness while we are still here....not replace the happiness we all had....but....where it's right, ...add to it.....Very insightful Sim7079...and I hope you are more happy today...and you too John9.....let's all try to be today....God bless! Robert

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
April Ballou

Hello to one and all.  I know what you are talking about missing your spouse.  Especially when your not feeling well.   My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.  I really hate being alone.  But I guess that I have to get use to it.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Sim7079.....I'm glad you are doing well...and i see you are in England....there is a show on TV here...'Escape To The Country'... I love the show...started learning about England a little...the counties etc....always been intrigued with England.....would love to see it sometime....hope all is well with you and the grieving there, concerning the Queen. God bless! Robert

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
On 9/28/2022 at 6:41 AM, April Ballou said:

I am so sorry, April. :(

No word from Marty as of yet but internet could be down, electricity out, etc.  VERY concerned about her!  Praying!!

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
7 hours ago, SSC said:

I am more thoughtful about death 

SSC the same for me ! I see life and death completely different from before...i changed my perspective and i am more aware how deep and meaningful life can be....

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
April Ballou
10 hours ago, KayC said:

I am so sorry, April. :(

No word from Marty as of yet but internet could be down, electricity out, etc.  VERY concerned about her!  Praying!!

I will be praying.  God knows all and sees all.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sim7079 said:

I’ve even got a job interview for a new job next week that will be a higher position and more money and to be honest I have no feelings either way about this

Praying it will be the best outcome for YOU!  Sometimes when we're in the moment we don't know what is best but it's always safe to pray this way...often we respond we hope you get the job, but I think back to that time in my life and I think I needed something with a little less responsibility/thinking when I was newly grieving...not always what I got. ;)  Good luck to you!  Let us know how it turns out.

• Like 1

• Members
3 hours ago, Sim7079 said:

I’ve come to realise that we don’t have control of a lot of things in this life & so the worry & stress has gone.

Just like that Sim7079!

• Like 2

• Members
12 hours ago, KayC said:

No word from Marty

Hope she is safe and well....

I saw videos of the devastating power of Ian...even here in Italy we're seeing tornado never seen before...climate changes are in the whole world! 

And still politicians are doing nothing...

• Like 2

• Members

Good luck @Sim7079 with your job interview.  I changed jobs a few times after my husband passed til at the moment am currently on early retirement.  I actually quit to lessen my stress as I  found my mental and emotional well being was taking a back seat to doing a good job at work.  Then add the covid crazy on top of everything, I just needed a break.  However, now I feel I miss the structure of a job.  I have no purpose or direction especially when I have no one  who I share a life with.  For me it’s got to be a happy medium.  Not too much stress but somewhere to go and have a purpose.  

I really hope this new job, if you are meant to get it, is what is best for you at this moment.  I’m sure your husband will be close by giving you support and wanting the best for you!  Please let us know how it goes!

• Like 2

• Members
April Ballou

@Sim7079 I will be praying for you.  Sometimes change is a good thing.  So maybe this new job will be a good thing.  I pray that God will lead and guide you.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Sim, keeping you in prayer, praying whatever is meant for you will happen concerning the job!  :wub: Sometimes we don't know God's will so praying in it is safe. ;)

Got a message that Marty and her husband are okay, made it through the storm, a lot of trees/debris down, they're trying to clear it, electricity back but cellphone spotty, internet, etc also.  So relieved!  I know what it is to go through a storm, I did last winter and also 3 1/2 years ago and it took me a month of working non-stop (or more) to clear the trees/debris.

Thank you all for your prayers!

• Hugs 3

• Members

KayC,

I am glad your friend is safe. It is sad what the people in Florida are going through and I hope that they can get the help they need. I am still fighting whatever I have, sore throat is pretty much gone but whenever I breathe or talk I start coughing which hurts everything in my "body". I know that the solution is to not breathe.😼 But as long as I am still breathing, I will just keep going until I am hopefully reunited with my loving wife. Take care, John

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
21 hours ago, John9 said:

I know that the solution is to not breathe.😼

:D  No, John, you can't stop breathing.  Just saying! 

From Marty's response this morning I'd have to say it sounds like it's dissipated and the dust has settled, she said something about the vast amount of devastation in Sarasota, Sanibel Island, in Naples, Fort Myers, Northport, Englewood, and Venice. 

• Like 2

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

:D  No, John, you can't stop breathing.  Just saying! 

From Marty's response this morning I'd have to say it sounds like it's dissipated and the dust has settled, she said something about the vast amount of devastation in Sarasota, Sanibel Island, in Naples, Fort Myers, Northport, Englewood, and Venice. 

KayC,

I am forced to keep breathing as long as I am here, but right now it is hard to do, in so many ways. 🤧But I am still here so.....My friend's property was in Englewood, not sure if it took a bad hit or not. It doesn't affect me anymore, but I had dealt with people in that area while selling the property and I hope they made it through okay. 🤔Take care, John

• Like 1

• Members
3 hours ago, John9 said:

..My friend's property was in Englewood, not sure if it took a bad hit or not. 

John, 

Englewood was hit pretty hard with flooding, strong winds etc.  But most homes don't have the catastrophic damage you see on TV.  Those are the worst the TV folks can find.  

Still any flooding in a home causes a mess.

Englewood is one of the communities that needs some of the electrical infrastructure built back, so many folks there don't have electricity yet.  The water mains broke, so if a house has running water at all, it is not potable.  The sewer system is not working yet, so they are asking folks not to flush toilets, wash clothes etcetera. 

All in all it makes for miserable living conditions, no electricity, no water, no toilets.  Everything starting to mold and smell bad.  I have been in that situation before and by now, 5 days post storm, everyone is getting a bit cranky. 

I hope the new owners of your friend's house have somewhere else to stay for awhile. 

Gail

• Like 3

• Moderators

Thank you for sharing that, Gail, it's horrific conditions for sure, I was in similar for over 8 days during the snowpocalypse and that was enough for me, still my "system" was not destroyed, just not usable at the time, big difference!  These people have to replace flooring, drywall, belongings, you name it.  The cleanup is major, and until things get up and running...plus I can imagine dealing with insurance at the same time as everyone else is a nightmare.  They have to have somewhere else to go to meanwhile!  I hope the Red Cross is on the scene.  It's sensory overload.

• Hugs 1

• Members
20 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I hope the new owners of your friend's house have somewhere else to stay for awhile. 

Gail 8588,

Hopefully they also made sure to purchase the proper Insurance, my friend had Hurricane Insurance (very expensive)but I don't know if he had Flood Insurance and for this situation you need both. Thanks for the insight though as I never experienced a Hurricane. It is one reason I was never interested in keeping the property, even before my loving wife died. My loving wife and I used to take our Son and MIL to Orlando for vacations and that was enough for me. I do hope that help is available to all who need it. Take care, John

• Like 1

• Members

The worse part of Hurricane Ian of course is that over 100 people drowned.  I can hardly imagine how the families of those folks are struggling. 

Gail

• Sad 2

• Members
16 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

The worse part of Hurricane Ian of course is that over 100 people drowned.  I can hardly imagine how the families of those folks are struggling. 

Gail

Gail,

Sadly, I don't think they know the full extent of everything yet. There may be more because there are some unaccounted for last I heard. All we can to is hope for the best for all of the people who are suffering and hope they can recover quickly. Take care, John

• Like 2

• Moderators

If we feel overwhelmed by seeing the news reports...imagine those who are living the nightmare...they can't shut it off.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Thank you!  Met my two remaining sisters 1 1/2 hours away (split the difference from where they live) also DIL brought grandkids!  Posted pics of Kodie but will again, esp. since it was his birthday too!  He got a stuffed squeaker, Pig and lots of treats! :D

Kodie 3rd Bdy.JPG

Kodie-3rd Bdy.JPG

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

KayC,

Sorry I'm late to the party, but Happy belated Birthday. Kodie also. I am glad that you had a chance to see your Sisters. I received a bit of good "news". MIL's tax refund finally came from the IRS, delayed more because they ended up sending a check instead of a direct deposit like it should have been. Hopefully I can close the estate now, at least it is one less thing on my plate. I am still fighting the cough and all of the aches and pains though. Take care, John

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
April Ballou

@John9 I'm glad you finally got some good news.  That's how the IRS did me last year.  I filed my taxes back in February of last year and due to the fact I had my husbands name on it they sent me a paper check.  I pray you get well very soon. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

April,

Thank you. The IRS website said it was because of a "name" issue, I am Personal Representative for MIL and that was how the check was made out BUT the bank account states the same thing. It is just one of the things that I/we have discussed about paperwork and how some people don't do their job. But when I filed my loving wife and my taxes, it was a direct deposit because her name is still on the account. Or maybe it is because my name is/was always the first listed on the taxes. Take care, John

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1