Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What positive can you list today?

KayC

• Members
foreverhis
22 hours ago, KayC said:

She'd always given me diet before and usually we drink tea.

Yikes, Kay! I hope your body has recovered from it. In a way, it seems to me like that’s similar to what generally happens when someone who has been vegan a long time consumes meat. Our bodies adapt to digesting the foods and beverages we normally consume. If we veer wildly off that, we can become (usually temporarily) ill.

• Like 3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Not totally, BS was 104 this morning, usually doing OMAD it's 80s or 90s.  It takes a few days for our systems to get back on track.

Are you vegan?  I have neighbors who are, I tried it for a summer but it didn't help my diabetes.

• Like 3

• Members
foreverhis
23 hours ago, KayC said:

Are you vegan?

Oh heck no!  I'm an omnivore all the way.  But I have two friends who are vegan and have been for 6-7 years now.  They've described how the occasional "animal protein" meal started affecting them after the first couple of years, so now they simply don't because their bodies are no longer used to digesting it.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Gail 8588

Boggled, 

So glad you got out and engaged with people.  

I remember when I forced myself to go to some Home Depot training classes,  (how to lay tile, how to install click flooring, etc) just to be in the company of people.  

I'd  never heard of the Urantia Society. Seems like it would generate lots of discussion.  If you feel like sharing about it, I'd  love to hear, maybe under a post in the spiritual section. 

But good for you in stepping out to engage with people!

• Like 4

• Moderators

So glad to hear it  Boggled!  Let us know how it goes.  And I don't think a new lawmower tire is much $.

2 hours ago, RichS said:

We're about to lose our pastor (transferring out) at our church in July. He was a good pastor in many ways. Hope that the new one transferring in will be as good. Fingers crossed..................

I'm glad we got to check for ourselves and pick ours...🙏for you and your church!  I know how stressful change can be but trust all will work out for good...and our former one is doing well but misses us as we do him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Rey:  Glad that these shots are working for you. Surgery is my best option, which I'll have done in June.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

Rich, good luck and hope the surgery works out.  Sorry it has come to surgery for you.  I will do this therapy as long as I get some benefit from it.  Don’t know how this arthritis thing is going to be in a few years.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Rey, so glad it's helping!  And wishing you well with your surgery, Rich.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Of course you can!  So sweet!

• Like 3

• Moderators

They just picked up the dumpster, I was so relieved they took it, one corner was up a bit but I could still get it locked into place.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

And muscle weighs more so she's actually down more in fat. 

My positive is that our website is up and running again!  It was out for hours during the night, so was my other one but it doesn't get as much traffic.  I notice newcomers tend to come here in the wee hours so if the site is down...

• Like 4

• Members
foreverhis
4 hours ago, KayC said:

And muscle weighs more so she's actually down more in fat. 

Exactly, just like us.  It's why her body shape is obviously changing even as her weight isn't dropping that much each month.  She's starting to get the little indent of "waist" behind her rib cage again, her thighs were already strong, but now they're defined and the same with her shoulders, and she's getting definition between her front legs and the top of her chest.  She's down a total of 1/2 lb since the beginning of the year with a bit less than a pound to go.  And she's obviously happier with the way she feels because she's gotten more playful and active again.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I think Kodie gained it this year!

• Like 3

• Moderators

My positive for yesterday: I had some car service ramps (used once) I purchased years ago (I take my car to be serviced now) and stuck them out by the road/garbage can and someone took them yesterday!  :D  Someone also got the mouse-chewed-on cots earlier and the bike rack but for some reason no one wants the ironing board!  Will see if the garbage man will take it.  (Too long for the now gone dumpster.)

• Like 4

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
17 hours ago, KayC said:

for some reason no one wants the ironing board!

Yeah, who irons their clothes anymore?  I used to iron a dress shirt and pants or two, but it has been a while.  😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

I thought the nobody wanting the ironing board was hilarious!  

rofl.gif

When I retired I traded in my button downs for t-shirts and jeans, no more cuff links!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

I thought the nobody wanting the ironing board was hilarious!  

rofl.gif

When I retired I traded in my button downs for t-shirts and jeans, no more cuff links!

I have you beat!!  I work in medicine so I wear pajamas (scrubs) every day!  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Members
9 hours ago, widower2 said:

And no I don't miss it :)  Although I think it is kind of a shame that people never dress up anymore...

For those of us old enough to remember, the beginning of the downfall of the iron began when garments carried the label, "wash and wear" and then replaced by "permanent press."

• Like 3

• Members

I'm one of those odd types that likes to iron. I've always found the quiet steaming and gurgling of the iron soothes me...reminds me of my mom and the sound of my childhood. My t-shirts tend to fit and feel better when I've ironed them. Years ago, I built a shallow closet between two studs in one of the bathroom walls for the ironing board to stand with two tall narrow doors that hide it. 

• Like 4

• Members

Yes I miss the"old days" . People dressed up to fly, every Sunday morning church was packed with people in their best. Oh how I hated getting a suit on as a boy. But I sure miss those times. 

• Like 4

• Members

I've generally thought of ironing as a hassle.  Getting out the iron and the ironing board, setting them up, pouring water into the steam iron.  Getting the temp right.  I do NOT miss it.   Clothes are better now.  OK, that's just my opinion, but hey, it's sorta a "positive," that I think clothes are better now.

Our big goumi bush is starting to produce bright red goumis.  I was surprised to find some ripe already, ate a bunch straight off the bush.  They're high in lycopene, tart-sweet, there are just enough ripe that I don't feel obliged to pick a bunch yet.  Positive!

• Like 4

• Members

As a positive, I sauteed and ate some fiddleheads from my garden yesterday. That was the very first time I'd ever tried doing that. I'd had fiddleheads only a couple of times in the past and loved them but I also love my ferns in the backyard. The thought of cutting them off before they unfurl their beauty seemed almost sacrilege...however in these past few years, I've also become aware of how annoyingly invasive they can be. Two days ago, I dug some out and transplanted them to other spots but one large unfurled fern had a tragic meeting with my shovel. It had about ten fiddleheads to it so I scooped them up, put them in a bowl of water and included them in last night's dinner. They were delicious!! Now the rest of the ferns out there tremble when they see me with shovel in hand!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
28 minutes ago, DWS said:

As a positive, I sauteed and ate some fiddleheads from my garden yesterday. That was the very first time I'd ever tried doing that. I'd had fiddleheads only a couple of times in the past and loved them but I also love my ferns in the backyard. The thought of cutting them off before they unfurl their beauty seemed almost sacrilege...however in these past few years, I've also become aware of how severely invasive they can be. Two days ago, I dug some out and transplanted them to other spots but one large unfurled fern had a tragic meeting with my shovel. It had about ten fiddleheads to it so I scooped them up, put them in a bowl of water and included them in last night's dinner. They were delicious!! Now the rest of the ferns out there tremble when they see me with shovel in hand!

What on earth are Fiddleheads?

• Like 3

• Members
17 minutes ago, Adriennelc said:

What on earth are Fiddleheads?

They're the snail-looking beginnings of ostrich ferns. Once they pop up out of the ground, the fern leaves are rolled up and then eventually unfurl but I'm not sure why they're called "fiddleheads". They have a similar taste to broccoli. You boil them first and then fry them up in a pan. 

390px-Fiddlehead_closeup.png

• Like 3

• Members
10 minutes ago, DWS said:

They're the snail-looking beginnings of ostrich ferns. Once they pop up out of the ground, the fern leaves are rolled up and then eventually unfurl but I'm not sure why they're called "fiddleheads". They have a similar taste to broccoli. You boil them first and then fry them up in a pan. 

390px-Fiddlehead_closeup.png

Wow.  Will go and look those up.  Thank you

• Like 2