Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grief & Healing from a Christian-Biblical Worldview

4everjoeysmom

• Members

Angelgirl

I just want to thank you for posting and joining us here in the faith based section.  I am so sorry you are hurting over the loss of your daughter.  God's peace, comfort and blessings upon you and your family,

Sal

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
misshimstill

Angelgirl,  I should have said this before, and I apologize that I neglected to say it.  I agree with Sal.  I'm glad you posted and I hope this can become a place for you to find comfort as all of us have.  I know that you're hurting terribly and missing your daughter.  I hope that you will feel safe in talking about her and your grief at some point in the future.  God's blessings on you.  ~Oneta

• Members
angelgirl63

Hi, Oneta - if you haven't already guessed, it's easy, at this point in my 'journey,' to identify heresy but rest assured, VERY difficult to point a finger at a heretic's errors.  It honestly pains me to hurt anyone's feelings - however,  I feel compelled by the Holy Spirit to do so, as does my love for my fellow man's soul... I grieve the fact that the Devil steals so many souls away from Christ every day...  it's doubly hard for me, because you are responding to someone who use to enjoy being the life of the party. What I share never makes me popular anymore, when presented with this type of forum -  but Christ assures me that He was hated first and understands my pain.  

I'm very careful to remove the beam in my own eye, before I attempt to take out the splinter in another's eye... but the fact of the matter is, heretics, along with many other mortal sinners, do not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. This is the same Kingdom of Heaven we think about every day now because of our own individual grieving. If we are charged by Christ to love each other, then we are to look out for each other's souls, aren't we?. I take that very seriously.  But if you are asking for me, or anyone else, to refrain from speaking about sifting through truth from deception, in our understanding of life after death,  then this thread is not from a Godly view... I hate the father of lies and try to expose him whenever I can... even on here. Doesn't anyone else feel like this?

• Members
misshimstill

Angelgirl,  First of all I apologize that I said "daughter" when you lost a son.  I still offer this thread and group of people to you if you choose to share your grief with us.

Yes, I would say that I, as well as everyone here on this thread, hates the father of lies and the untold misery and depception he is able to bring upon mankind.  I understand, as all of here do, your feelings about heresy and your concern for your fellow man's soul.  However, we have a great disagreement over who those lost souls might be.  As I stated, I am not Catholic, have never been Catholic, but my husband's family was Catholic.  They were what I would call (and my brother-in-law agrees with this description) as "old world" Catholics.  They believed, as I gather that you do, that all protestants are lost.  It saddened me greatly when they said that my husband, their son, was lost at his death.  I know as much as any of us can know on this earth that my husband was VERY saved.  He showed it in many ways, not to mention a very changed character after we began dating and had many discussions of faith in the Lord.  He left the Catholic church of his own free will.  Before we were married, I was more than willing to at least look into becoming a Catholic if I felt or if WE felt that the Lord was leading us in that direction.  My husband was the one who said after talking with a priest one evening that we did not need to look any further, and that he wanted to become a protestant and raise our family as protestants.  We suffered greatly from his parents for having taken that stand.  They never failed to give us any peace about it.  When I looked at the character that my husband and his father exhibited, it wasn't very hard to see who the real Christian was and who bore the fruit of the Holy Spirit in his life.  It had nothing to do who was Catholic and who wasn't.  It had to do with who had let Christ change him into a new creation. 

I break my own admonition and plea to not get into heavy theological debate on this thread about this only to say that I do understand your point, but also to say that I do not agree with you what constitutes the faith needed for salvation.  I DO believe it is faith in Jesus Christ alone and not works, too.  We could get into a very long debate about that issue, but I really don't want to do that.  This thread is to share our hearts in regard to our losses and our very great pain, not to disagree over theology.  Again, I state that our common belief is trust in Jesus Christ to save us utterly and completely from sin.  I believe that is what the Bible teaches. 

I again want to express my sympathy in regard to the loss of your son and again invite you to draw strength from the compassion and prayer support offered here on this thread.  ~Oneta

• Members
johnnysmama

I am finding this discussion interesting as I was a Methodist for 30 years and converted to catholicism 15 years ago. I know one thing about both religions-the belief in Christ and that is all I need.

The personal relationship I have with God is so loving-I feel so lucky as it gives me meaning in my life right now.  I feel my spirtual growth will help me survive this. It is great to know I always have God with me. I am so afraid of becoming angry and mean sometimes because I am so sad. God also helps me when I feel so alone as I feel so much, now. I don't know what I would do if I didn't know Johnny was there with God.  I thank God everyday for loaning me Johnny for 21 years-I tell him I am thankful for those years and if i had a choice of not going through this and not having him or having him for only 21 years-hands down I am thankful to God for 21 beautiful, blessed years.  It is my faith that saves me now.  Thank God.

Johnnysmama (Kay)

• Members
misshimstill

Hi, Kay.  I feel the same way you do.  I am just so thankful to have a relationship with the Lord and that my husband did, as well.  It gives me great comfort to know that he is in the Lord's presence and I will see him again when I am called home.  It is the Lord's presence with us daily that keeps us from becoming that "angry" person you said you feared becoming.  Thank you for sharing that.  ~Oneta

• Members

Angelgirl,

I am so sorry I said daughter.  I think I started that confusion and am very sorry.  The sentiment I expressed though is true and caring.  Losing a child is the worst pain I have experienced here on earth.  I think the only thing worse then losing loved ones would be eternal damnation.  I can't even begin to imagine seperation from our Lord for eternity.  May God be with you and guide you,

Sal

• Members

From the ASB

I am not one to argue theology.  Each of us must come to relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ who died for us and will one day be accountable for whether our relationship was true or false.  These are some scriptures that come to my mind when I think upon the conflicts between fellow followers of Jesus.

LK 23:39 And one of the malefactors that were hanged railed on him, saying, Art not thou the Christ? save thyself and us.

LK 23:40 But the other answered, and rebuking him said, Dost thou not even fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

LK 23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

LK 23:42 And he said, Jesus, remember me when thou comest in thy kingdom.

LK 23:43 And he said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To-day shalt thou be with me in Paradise.

I find it amazing that the good Lord allows us to repent and come to relationship with him even up until our death beds ( or in this case a cross) and still come to paradise with Him.  This man accepted Jesus as he was dying.  No time for baptism.  No time for communion.  No time to join a fellowship of believers.  He went straight to paradise to be with Jesus only through asking Jesus.  Our God is indeed powerful and able to forgive if we but ask.

1COR1:10Now I beseech you, brethren, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing and `that' there be no divisions among you; but `that' ye be perfected together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1COR 1:11 For it hath been signified unto me concerning you, my brethren, by them `that are of the household' of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

1COR 1:12 Now this I mean, that each one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

1COR 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized into the name of Paul?

1COR 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, save Crispus and Gaius;

1COR 1:15 lest any man should say that ye were baptized into my name.

Christ is our foundation.  It is Christ alone not a certain church or teacher that grants salvation.

1COR 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

1COR 3:12 But if any man buildeth on the foundation gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay, stubble;

1COR 3:13 each man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it is revealed in fire; and the fire itself shall prove each man's work of what sort it is.

1COR 3:14 If any man's work shall abide which he built thereon, he shall receive a reward.

1COR 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as through fire.

1COR 3:16 Know ye not that ye are a temple of God, and `that' the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

works are important and are a fruit or outcome of our faith. We even gain rewards in Heaven for Godly works (Ok the kid in me can't help but wonder what kind of award could we get in Heaven bette then seeing our children? )...and yet a man whose works are burned because they have no Heavenly value can through  Jesus Christ still be saved. 

The Spirit of God dwelleth in us?  How amazing is that.  We have a guide to show us right from wrong.  To help us know His truth. 

God bless each of you as we journey on gaining knowledge of our Lord.   I thank the Lord for each of you who love the Lord Jesus Christ as he is our true foundation.

Sal

• Members
crushedheart

Hello everyone..I've been reading over the posts here...I too find it very Interesting ..A big AMEN to all of you that believe in our Lord..God has been so good to us ALL...giving up his SON ..so that we ALL would have EVER LASTING LIFE...If God brings us too it ..He will see us through it ..no matter what our title is ....I Thank God everyday for his promises to all of us ..he's with me day and night in my hours of grief...he doesn't care what I look like he doesn't care what I am wearing ...he loves me just as I am ..as he does You all..it's wonderful to be amoung God's people on IB ..Peace and God's blessings with you ALL !

I  Thank HIM for the 2 very special  angels he lead across my pathway from IB ..He's an AWESOME GOD !!!!!

• Members
4everjoeysmom

I must have been gone too long, because I can't for the life of me figure out where the blast about heresy came from or why...  anyway, I have been having such an amazing Spirit-filled week, I couldn't wait to share.  We have been hosting a group of nationals from a Christian church on the coast.  (They traveled overnight, ten hours to come and retreat here with us.  Wow!!)  There are two adult leaders and the rest of the group ranges from 14-18 years in age.  I also have been co-leading a vacation bible school this week and so decided to intertwine the 2 events.  Today the youth group spent the morning leading the various studies (which they prepared yesterday afternoon) for the kids at VBS, ages ranging from 7-12.  There was such reciprocal blessing among the two groups (kids and young people leading), that I was so overwhelmed with blessing and joy--because I know Jesus was blessed.

I was asked to give the traditional ministry "welcome address" to the youth group last night.  I prayed about it a lot as I prepared my heart for the message that God would want them to hear.  My prayers were answered, and the topic title was "Where Are You When God Calls?"  My husband recorded my talk (about 20 minutes), which I had done using only a very basic point sheet and the leading of the Spirit.  Listening to the playback this afternoon, I was in awe of how God used me to speak so directly and applicably to this group of youth.  There was a point in the talk in which I shared about Joey--.  It's a long story to go into how that ties in with the title of my talk, but it flowed in a way that I can't even believe it was me up there.  This was my first time taking the floor, so to speak, to share my testimony and give a sermon, so to speak.  God gave me strength, and I didn't cry.  And God softened the hearts of those young people, who many are struggling with very tough battles at home and in their lives.  All of them were on their knees later, giving every bit of themselves to their Lord and Savior.  What excites me most is how God continues to use the tragic events in my life for His glory--events that the enemy wanted so much to use for my ruin.  Praise the Lord for His faothfulness!!  Amen?!  (I can't help but feel a special gift from God that allows me to carry a piece of Joey with me in ministry--like his legacy for Jesus continuing on through me....  I can;t even begin to explain how wonderful that does my heart...)

Going back to all of the theological banter, I got tired reading it all...  but I just want to say I am so with you all.  I love Jesus.  HE is ALL that matters, and I live for an audience of one, because when all is said and done, it is His glory and ONLY what was done for His glory that will measure of worth.  Eph 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.  It is not our faith that saves us...  It is HIS faith that saved us.  We have no faith apart from His to boast about--and that goes for any church as well.  One thing that has been consistent in disappointment about church (denominationalism specifically) is how the denomination is just as interested if not more in glorifying the name of the denomination rather than giving it ALL to Jesus.  I see it all the time, especially out here in the field, and honestly it's sickening.  It is HE that built the church...and when He said he would destroy the temple and raise it again in three days, he wasn't talking about a building or even the lawgivers in the buildings.  Our faith is His gift to us, along with the Holy Spirit who helps to guide us into the good works for His glory.  Our salvation is His gift of grace.  The church is His people, not the temple.  Working as a missionary in a very poor country, oftentimes there is no money for a building and people meet in mud-soaked backyards, and sit on boards and bricks.  They may not know what they will eat for their next meal, but they sing His praises and love their enemies like Jesus more than most who sit in a warm, dry, comfortable sanctuary ever conceived thoughts to do.  Are they any less worthy of His love or Heaven because they don't have a constructed alter or enough bread to offer a traditional communion service?  I think not.  Our worship has very little to do with the church building or the props.  It has everything to do with the condition of the heart.  If Jesus is my judge, and He is ruling the throne of my life, then I can expect that He will be guiding me to die to myself so that I can become more and more like Him.  I can expect that He will be pruning my branches so that I can bear good fruit.  Will I be perfect?  Probably not on this side of eternity. 

I live my life like every day is my last day.  I live my life with passion for Christ, and with desperation that everyone I meet will come to know Him.  I care more about living life in this way than going through the motions of legalistic ways I should and shouldn't pray, or attend church, or go to confession, or whatever.  I might die on the way there....  and woe is me if I was more focused on getting to the building to entertain in the rituals rather than stopping along my way to help that person in distress and need.  That stranger could be my ultimate test of where my heart truly is.  I learned after losing Joey that so much that I thought mattered before means little to nothing now.  And what wasn't as important then is super-urgent now.  Why is it that we fuss over things that have such little relevance to the HEART OF JESUS...?  I'm not saying the church has no relevance, but fussing about differences in the believing churches' doctrines...frankly it grieves Him that this causes strife among brothers, among His sheep.  Why is it that any one of us should desire to paint the condition of our neighbor's heart a certain color or way....?   Are we not all here because we love Jesus and suffer with having watched someone dear to us be taken sooner that we ever dreamed could be?  Are we not here because we hurt and need to be lifted up?

Jam 4:11-12 Do not speak against one another, brethren. He who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks against the law and judges the law; but if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge of it. There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor?

We are among brothers here...........(sisters)..........  who really cares about the things that can rust and rot away?  What really matters is what is worthy, who is worthy.  His name is Jesus.  If we seek to have His heart, the rest will come naturally according to His will.  What else could we possibly call living?  worship? glory?

Bless you all my friends.  Tomorrow is my last day of VBS and also our youth group will be departing.  I always get a little sad after a blast like this and then the creeping silence.  I'm sure I'll be back here in BI soon enough.  Love and Blessings, and Prayers, Claudia 

• Members

Claudia,

I am so glad you are having a wonderful and spiritually refreshing week.  I love VBS.  It is always so much fun.  I like to help in the music. :)   How wonderful that you were able to talk about Joey and that the speech flowed so well.  I know you never wanted to be in a position were people would hear that your lost your son and it would help them grow and learn...but how exciting the way God can use our suffering for His glory and his Kingdom.  God bless and keep you this weekend.

Sal

• Members
daniellemom

Claudia,

I so very happy that you have had a great week in the Lord.  I also love VBS.  I'm a teacher normally of the teens.

Sal,

Glad you are back, I've missed you the last couple of days.

To everyone,

I don't know that much about the Catholic faith but I do know when my uncle was so sick in the hospital until death, he had 3 nuns of CA praying for him.  I'm sure the nuns didn't care he was baptist only that he was a child of God and they prayed for his healing. 

God has blessed us all so much!

Sonya (Danielle's Mom)

• Members
misshimstill

Hello, everyone.

My apologies to all for getting into a debate about Catholicism.  I, like I guess just about everyone on this thread, just rejoice that Christ is preached, that we all trust in Jesus for our salvation and look forward to that great reunion in Heaven with our loved ones.  I believe that anyone who calls on the name of the Lord Jesus will be saved, no matter what church they are affiliated with or even IF they are affiliated with ANY church. 

Claudia, Your report was wonderful.  I think it is wonderful that you are able to talk about Joey and use his story in a way that glorifies the Lord, no matter who the audience is.  You have a wonderful, Spirit-led and -filled ministry.  I continue to lift you and your husband up in prayer.

To everyone else:  I have been so encouraged on this thread by the oneness that is represented here and that what we all are concerned with is supporting and praying for one another as we work through our grief and "work out our salvation". 

I pray that everyone has a Christ-centered and -filled day!  Blessings, Oneta

• Members

:(  Dear Friends,   I have been away for a couple days and cannot believe the mess I have caused.   I in NO way was trying to change someone from attending the church of there choice and as I stated later, it was a couple month old post I responded to- on accident.             I thought as I was lead to this site I had found the thread I needed to be able to deal with my loss and get Believers support,  I Am SORRY, it certainly seems I have deeply hurt many.   And, I am sorry someone would think I am here to debate or hurt others,  I am not.  I am a grieving widow, grabbing for anything the Lord will bring me through.  Again, I apologize,  I have been very misunderstood and almost feel foolish for causing such a situation where I had found only love.

For ME, What I had previously written, that's my opinion and what we felt we were ledto do in my life.  I have many friends that are Christians and have stayed the the Catholic Church.   Its never been an issue in my lief.  Going where I WAS LEAD to go upon receiving my salvation and the Holy Spirit, is where I have been ever since those wonderful days that I finally had the scales fall off my eyes and found my loving Savior.  I have never been without a Church which I fellowship in, work in, support, etc.  Where would I have been without my home Church when My beloved, Tim passed away so quickly.  I never meant to add pain to anyone, who is already in the pain all of us are in.    I read and re-read what I wrote, I did not try to get someone to follow me.

Please, Angel---63, I send you my deepest condolences for you horrific loss, I am so hearbroken for how I upset you.  Please forgive me, please!  I was stating my feelings never did I say it was a fact for anyone else.  Oh My Goodness to be thought of as a hereitic, is almost more than I can handle.     It is with sobbing tears that I ask everyone on this thread's forgiveness.  And, with that I will read, but not post

Forgive me,

GrannyCheryl   :?(

• Members
msroderskie

Hi Everyone,  It's been quite a while since I've been able to post.  Thank you Sal for bringing in those scriptures which deal with mistaken notions like the veritable worship of the rite of baptism.  And thank you Claudia for your comments on faith being a GIFT from God and for the wonderful quote from Spurgeon!

Even though the purpose of this thread is to grieve together, it is grieving together within the context of Christianity, and that doesn't include just any notions about Jesus Christ.   I beg us all to consider scripture first, because it is the ultimate and undefiled definer of our faith.  We are on one side of that Sword or the other. If we blather about unscriptural ideas in comforting each other, we are not doing each other much good.   We are charged in scripture to "earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints", in Jude verse 3, in a clarion call by Jude to warn believers of heresy that was creeping into the early church. 

When it comes to Catholicism I have just a couple things to say.   Yes, we do agree on all the essentials about Jesus Christ's birth, death and resurrection and yes there are both unsaved and saved people within BOTH Protestant and Catholic churches.  I have no doubt about that.  I have major problems with certain Catholic doctrines, most notably with the idea of "transubstantiation" -- don't know if I spelled that right.  It's the idea that the Catholic communion elements mysteriously change into the actual body and blood of Christ as Jesus is purportedly offered up repeatedly.   With human respect to Catholic brethren I have to say that this idea is NOT scriptural.  Christ obviously meant communion as a SYMBOLIC remembrance, otherwise it would have been some sort of bizarre cannibal rite.  And scripture specifically rules out the notion that Christ is still suffering.  He is not.  

Heb 7:27 -- Who (Christ) needs not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins and then for the people's sins; for this He did once, when He offered up Himself.

Heb 9:28 -- So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many...

1 Peter 3:18 -- For Christ also has once suffered for sins... vs. 22 -- Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers being made subject to Him.

These ideas aren't just sideline ideas.  If one is believing that you have to take part in a particular ceremony in a particular church or you are going to hell, that clearly constitutes putting one's faith in something other than Christ.  So I think it is wholly acceptable for us to discuss this on a Christian discussion thread where we are, after all, grappling with life and death issues.  Christ didn't always make people feel comfortable and He did talk about hell more often than heaven.   It is a certain kind of blindness to cling to these ritualistic ideas which are a modern day perfect reflection of the very Pharisaism that Jesus constantly denounced.  The Pharisees had their ritual hand-washings -- some churches have their rituals which purport to cleanse, exclusively.  I don't think Christ wants us to sit by, nod our heads and sing "Kum By Ya", in tacit agreement with such notions. 

I again encourage everyone to get hold of a couple books by John MacArthur -- one is called "The Truth War" and the other is "Hard to Believe".  Let's face it, there's a lot of stuff out there parading as "Christianity".   Sermons in TV megachurches have become pep talks about family life that barely mention the scripture.  The concepts of sin and hell are hardly ever mentioned in many churches today.  As if Jesus came like some sort of flower child to give our lives a little boost, rather to save us from everlasting torment and separation from God.

Well, there I've really ranted, and amost forgot to tell you that I was thinking of you all and specifically lifting you up in prayer during Easter services at church.  I do think of all my sisters here, and pray for you.  I have a prayer request for a family whose Dad is very ill with cancer, going through bone marrow treatment, whose son is also dying of lung cancer.  The Dad is Angelo and the son is Tommy.  Please pray that they will give themselves wholly to Christ.

Love in Christ,   Rody   

• Members

Granny,

I don't think you caused any controversy at all.  There is nothing you said that would have offended the majority of posters on this thread.   I am so sorry you were saddened.  I believe the majority of the controversy centered around Angelgirl's posts (and I think she already knows she says some controversial things.). Please don't feel that anyone is upset with you Granny.  You are welcome to just read for if that is all you can do but please feel free to post as well if you feel up to it.  We are so glad to have you.  God's peace and blessings upon you,

Sal

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Rody, I indeed am praying for Angelo and Tommy.  Thank you for lifting them up and inviting us into the priviledge of doing the same.  Also, I 100% agree with everything you said.  I hope my message didn't appear to be ironing over the issues you mentioned, because I certainly do not subscribe to doctrine that is unscriptural, regardless of denomination.  And again, as I said earlier, pooh pooh on anyone that is more interested in magnifying the name of the denomination or the church itself and its rituals over magnifying the name of our precious Lord--regardless of their denomination.  The church does not hold equal authority or glory in any way shape or form to Christ (who IS The Word).  It would be to walk a dangerously thin line to think the warnings to the early church do not apply today.  It's a waste of precious breath and life to build up a denomination.  There are countless scriptural examples of why it's a waste.  The last time I checked, I think it would be an argument from silence to say there are these denominations in Heaven.  Jesus' people are just that--His people, His body, His church, His sheep, and hopefully His people, His church are defined by HIM rather than by something else or the other way around...  Amen!?

Cheryl, PLEASE POST!!!  I have read your post on other threads, and I delight in thinking that perhaps in this thread you can find the comfort and fellowship you crave and need.  Your post, though you think was a mistake, was not a mistake.  God led you here.  You spoke from your heart, and we should love Jesus and each other enough to want to express our hearts, thoughts, feelings and needs, and be bold enough to share His Truth.  We won't all always agree, but that is why God gave us His Word, and His Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and His Apostles as a great cloud of witness (among others)....so that we would not be led astray by legalism, rituals and customs, false doctrines and gospels, and so on.  YOU ARE WELCOME HERE, and I plead with you to please not take so personally the banterings of recent.  It is not the first time this topic has been broached, yet it continues to rear its ugly head from time to time.  You did not instigate it by any means.  I agree with Sal and Oneta on that.  I guess its one of the setbacks of being IN the world.  But we certainly don't have to subscribe to be OF the world.  Amen?!

Sal, Oneta, and Sonya, Thanks so much for your encouragement.  YES!  I am super excited about how glory to the Lord continues to rise from the ashes--literally.  I have to share something because it really is the most impactful outcome (for me personally) of my past couple of weeks planning and working through these blessed recent events here.  My talk the other night, as I mentioned, was to a group of kids ranging in ages 14-18.  There was a 14 year old girl in the group that just crumpled into a broken heap after I spoke, because as she shared with me today before leaving, what she heard spoken through me she knew was straight from God and meant specifically for her.  Her home is not Christian, but she is and it is so hard for her.  I gave her a very special and personal gift that my mom gave to me after she received Jesus, to remind this young girl of God's faithfulness and to never, ever give up hoping for her parents' salvation--also as a reminder to pray, pray, pray for her mammi and papi.  It was one of those special God moments that lasted for days with this young girl.  Like you, Sonya, I have a heart for these young people in this age group.  These years are so influencial, so formable, yet so often so misguided.  I am so blessed for having these kinds of opportunites to minister and watch these young people grow in Jesus.  I thank God so often for placing me here, even though it was necessary to walk through a lot of furnaces and valleys to get to this point.  I know there will be more fires and more trials.....  but if the other side looks even remotely like this, I am begging God to keep me moving forward, no matter how tough it can be.  (Slapping myself, because I can't believe I can say that.  But then again, it's not by my strength I can say that or do it.  I know.  ALL glory to Him!)

I too love that I have sisters here to share with and to learn from as well.  Love and blessings to you all.  -Claudia

• Members
msroderskie

Hi everyone,

I was hoping my comments would not cause a further firestorm, but I also had to stand by certain truths that are replete in the Word.  Claudia, thanks for standing for the truth, and I heartily agree about the waste of putting one's energies to the laud of a denomination rather than the Lord.  A big AMEN to that!  I'm so blessed by your ministry and descriptions of what is happening in your ministry!  Thank you for your prayers for Tommy and Angelo.  And may God multiply blessings on that 14 year old girl who was at your retreat.  Not only are the teenage years difficult in general, but look at the current world that these kids have to deal with.  Yikes!    

Granny, it was heartbreaking to read your post, how badly you felt even to the point of deciding not to post anymore.  You definitely should write as well as read.  I know that some of my comments in my last post seemed rather hard, but some of Christ's sayings were VERY hard.   If we cannot discuss those things here in a Christian forum, where else?  I write this in some ignorance, not having read your original posting that you felt started some controversy. 

I have recently been finally working on my grief over the loss of my Dad, who died a little more than a year ago. I've been reading letters that he sent to his family when he was about 20 years old and in the military.  This has become an essential part of grieving for Dad.  It's like getting to know him all over again, but the young Dad from a few years before I was born.  I bring this up bacause I had put those letters aside for several months and now have been moved to pick them up again.  It's just an illustration of how our grief work can change over time.  Sometimes you just have to put certain things aside and deal with those memories at a later time when the Lord gives you the strength to do so.   I know that my step-Mom felt that when Dad first died, she did too much in the way of giving away some of Dad's things (she still has plenty of stuff to go through, since he was a bit of a pack rat).  She had to realize that she didn't "need" to do any of that stuff until she felt ready within herself.  

Got to run to church, which I may leave soon as there is too much of the Word left out from the sermons.   In the mercy of Christ, Rody  

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Rody, I was sad to read your last statement, that you might be leaving your church, but especially for the reason why.  It is such a hugely growing problem in the churches of North America.  I think it happened already long ago in Europe, becuase when i visited a few countries of Europe a few years ago the absence of Christ was blaring.  The same thing is happening in the States.  Any church can "talk about God", but any pagan can talk about God or at least their idea of God as well.  Christ MUST be the foundation, and as I said He IS The WORD.  I have recognized how more emphasis has been growing on life application "fitted" to our lives verses fitting our lives to the Word by applying ourselves Biblically.  I told my husband a week or so ago that it really is no wonder the U.S. is beciming so void of the Word.  Look how the Constitution has lost its strength in validity time and again, because people see fit to "change it to suit the times", or rather their carnal ideals.  The same thing is being done to God's Word in the churches, because frankly the masses hold nothing sacred anymore but their own ideals or "their own religion".

I don't think you stirred anything up further when you posted before.  I think you made very strong, very valid points, and I too am thankful for your strength and wisdom to stand firm on THE TRUTH.  I too get sick and tired of people making truth relative.  Truth is not relative.  TRUTH, as in JESUS CHRIST and ALL He stands for is ABSOLUTE.  There is no bending it to suit religion, the world and such, because then it becomes no longer the TRUTH.

I slept until almost 9:30 this morning--YAY!!!!  SLEEP!!!  I almost forgot what that was.  LOL!  Wishing you all a peace-filled Sunday with rest and renewal in the Lord.  Love, Claudia

P.s.  Rody, I almost forgot to say that I can relate to how you described getting to know your Dad as the young man, before you were born and then through the years following.  My dad is still living, but he is not yet saved.  I had a tough childhood and young adult life because I grieved through all of that time for my Dad.  I never had him or knew him the way I craved and needed because his alcoholism stole him away.  These days we are close, after many years of barely speaking.  He is learning a lot through vicarious experience with me as I share ministry and my life here in Ecuador via distance communications.  He is softening more and more over time.  And he has over the past year or so, especially since Joey died, begun to open up and share much more about his early life and who he was and is.  I feel like I am finally getting to know my dad.  I still grieve, but no longer as the needy, broken child.  I grieve because he is not yet secure in Christ.  I know the story is different, and he is still alive, but until he has Jesus, he is dead.  I pray for one more day, one more hour, one more breath, and for his death not to come before his victory in Jesus.  Bless you, Rody.  The grieving is so painful, and I am so grateful that God gives us His portion, His strength so that we may heal in His time and in His way....

• Members
4everjoeysmom

AngelGirl, I have been praying and thinking a lot about you.  You have been here at BI for over 3 months, have posted ten times (9 being here on this thread), and yet you have shared practically nothing of your loss, other than it was your son. you lost and you can talk to no one but your husband. I can see how it would be easy to divert energy and strength (tranference of energy that would otherwise be centrally focused on your pain and loss) to instead be focused on the controversial banter.  I do believe you have a Christian Worldview, but it's hard to recognize anything more about you than you enjoy stirring things up.  For whatever reason you hold off on digressing to discuss anything at all about your personal journey of loss.  I am not trying to be rude here by bringing it up.  I just find it odd and wonder if you have any hope at all in finding comfort here or if your motives for the visits here are purely outside of your loss...................it's really a bit annoying having someone standing at the door screaming hereitic, when there is no basis whatsoever Scripturally for that accusation.  You could easily be doing that on any other forum, but you chose here, so maybe there is something more going on with you???????  And if we can help in any way, please let us know, because we really do care about what you are going through in your journey of loss, grief and healing.  Praying for you, Claudia

• Members
misshimstill

Hello, all. 

I do not want to beat this thing to death; however, I just want to make it clear to anyone reading and posting here what my stand is on the absolute necessity of faith in Jesus Christ as revealed in Scripture for salvation, as I have clearly stated several times previously, so that there is no question where I stand on these issues.  I certainly do NOT believe we should "put our faith in a denomination rather than the Lord".  I stand for the "truth" as is contained in the Bible, as do pretty much all who have posted here on this thread.  I agree with Roddy who stated that we should not put our faith in anything other than Jesus Christ for our salvation.  I believe I made all that very clear when I "defined" Jesus Christ as the "only begotten Son of God the Father, his virgin conception and birth, his death which paid for our sins and his resurrection and bodily assention into Heaven AND that He will come again to judge the living and the dead". 

However, I still believe that for the purposes of this thread, we need to keep our conversation and posts centered on sharing our hearts in regard to our losses and our very great pain, not to disagree over theology.  I know that it has been stated that the issue of "who Jesus is" is not just a "sideline idea", but that it crucial to our unity here on this thread as Christians in the sharing of our grief.  I completely agree with that it is not a sideline idea; however, I believe it is stated in the definition of Jesus Christ in the paragraph above and in other statements many have made in previous posts.  To do this is not, in my opinion, "simply sitting by, nodding our heads and singing "Kum By Ya" ".  So I state again, it is my opinion that it is our common trust in Jesus Christ to save us utterly and completely from sin that is the bond that we on this thread share.  I don't see that it is necessary to make further "requirement" for our faith.  I believe that we have a common bond here, and that is the death of our loved ones and our grief over them and our common faith in Jesus Christ.  I wouldn't have thought it was necessary to add to that statement anything more. 

Claudia stated several pages back (and it seemed to me that there was agreement on this statement - at least no one stated any disagreement to it when she said, "...it is/was not in anyone's mind to create this thread to discuss heavy, heady theological issues, but to share our grief from a Biblical worldview, which I believe we have tried to do."  Claudia also said in another post, "Let us embrace what is commonly shared in our faith and love one another, help one another, be here for one another.  As differences surface, we can try with love and understanding to work through them as they arise.  But let us stay focused on the main reason we are here (my emphasis)... to lift one another up, listen, encourage, and pray for one another in our grief.  We do not need to lay out all our differences here for the sake of laying out our differences.  Does that really serve a good purpose for the genuine point of this thread?  Undoubtedly there may be questions that arise in time, but let us allow them naturally as a course of our sharing our grief and healing."  I have quoted her because I thought it was well stated, and I knew I couldn't improve on it.  My feelings are: Catholic, protestant - we both believe in Jesus as our Lord and Savior.  Let's please accept one another as sisters (brothers if there are any at any time) in the Lord.  Let's not debate these "heavy theological issues", and lets's continue to "share our grief from a Biblical worldview".  We will soon spend Eternity together.  I hope we can learn to live on the planet Earth together harmoniously before we go to our Heavenly home.

I hope and pray everyone has a good day.  Blessings to each in the precious name of our Lord Jesus who shed His blood as an atonement for us all.  ~Oneta

• Members
4everjoeysmom

I have only one small thing to add.  This thread is most comforting for those with a Christian BIBLICAL Worldview--the operative word being BIBLICAL, not christian.  For those who subscribe to a worldview of BIBLE + something else, including the Church, perhaps a separate thread would be more comforting.  This thread isn't about debating what is outside of Scripture, which obviously there is plenty out there.  It's about finding comfort along the journey with other "LIKE-Minded and hearted" believers in the Holy Bible as the Word of God, Jesus Christ, and only authority for Truth.

That said, I emplore others to simply ignore posts that are hateful and accusatory against Christians with a BIBLICAL Worldview, so that we can move forward in our journey in a manner which is most glorifying to the Lord, because THAT really is what its all about.

Love and Blessings, Claudia

• Members
4everjoeysmom

This is something that comes into play on a daily basis for me, and I hope to begin dialogue with all of you to see if it is something each of us struggles with, for how long, and if anyone has found ways to cope with....  the issue being:

MOTIVATION

It seems, even though my healing journey is on a good track, that at 20 months out I still have to fight myself daily to do anything productive.  It helps when I have MUST DO's going on and don't have a choice.  But when I do have a choice, I struggle so much to motivate myself.  Anyone else dealing iwth that??

• Members
daniellemom

Claudia,

As you know it's only been almost 6 months but all my motivation is gone. I go to work, I cook supper sometimes, not very often and do homework with Mattie and if I can somehow think someone my drop by the house, I will clean up.

• Members

Motivation...

I do struggle with motivation.   Thank goodness I have living children and a job or I would just sit and do nothing all day long.  I have gained weight because I don't want to do anything...no excercise and too much fast food because I don't feel like cooking.  My son Micah is struggling with motivation and the doctor thinks he needs to be on ritalin even though he is smart and not too hyper.  They say add is in the motivational areas of the brain and stimulants help that too.  Then I think if I can't get myself motivated why should I expect him to be able to.  He did fine until his brother died.  That is when he stopped doing homework.  If I give myself some slack can't I give him some as well?  He is doing much better right now after I spent a day praying a fasting for wisdom on how to help him and praying for God's healing of his depression and lack of motivation; and he has many people from our  church and other pray chains praying for him.  He is nowhere near perfect...but neither am I.  I have seen such a marked improvement in his mood.  God is good and answers prayer.  Perhaps we need to focus some of our prayers directly on each of us for motivation/a desire to serve God actively and with joy.  :)

Sal

• Members
4everjoeysmom

I'll second that motion, Sal--that we all begin to pray for one another in the area of MOTIVATION.  I will especially add your son to my prayers.  I recall you fasting and praying recently, and I am really glad to hear that there has been some answer to prayer.  I remember the school wanting to put Joey on Ritalin when he was in junior high, and also the same situation with my husband's son.  Neither of us put our kids on the drug, and never again was there evidence that either needed it.  Joey was just a little hyper and a cut up at times, and John just gets bored easily, thus his motivation wavers.  But I think the world is so quick these days to medicate.  It's kind of scary.  There's nothing wrong with it if it is truly the answer.  But thank God for His wisdom and the gift of prayer to be heard and answered in many situations like this.

We're hosting a pastor's conference here tomorrow for about 15 pastors, and I am doing a spaghetti lunch for them, so my day will be busy and there won't be time to think about making myself motivate.  I've been cleaning the past two days to get ready since we just had a youth group here this past week/weekend.  Today I washed 17 picture windows with what seemed like a zillion different panes of glass (inside and out).  This place is loaded with windows to enhance the experience of a panoramic view of the Andes.  It's beautiful, but I'm feeling a little like the Karate Kid--wax on/wax off.  LOL!  Anywho...  I usually spend my cleaning and service time in prayer, so there's been a lot of praying for y'all.  :)  Love and Hugs, Claudia

• Members
angelgirl63

Dear Granny ~ be assured that my original response was in regard to bringing attention to what traditional Catholics actually believe, when BigMikesMom -  a fellow Catholic - remarked about it, on this thread... I assure you it had nothing to do with your post.   She and I have been private messaging instead now. It seems more appropriate. Heresy is something that most do not understand and are uncomfortable to talk about,  but the reality is that Saint Paul warned of us false apostles of Christ.  /2 Corin 11:13-14/ and since my brush with death, I am vigilant to weed them out, especially in this modern age. There is a reason Christ had acknowledged, even  back then, that when He returns, He won't be finding much inadulterated faith, right?

To  Claudia, I appreciate your suggestion to start a thread for those who mourn in a traditional Catholic sense. I am obviously getting side-tracked and distracted on your worldview thread.  Thank you for bringing to my attention that it doesn't seem to be  bearing any good fruit for my heart and soul.  As a side note, I find it odd that you need to know the gory details of my son's murder and that I find that particular heartache reserved for my husband alone for now.   It's also strange how you think God is withholding salvation from the man who brought you into this world in his current state, yet judge me on my own Church's interpretation on those souls who will and won't be saved.

To everyone else - I find company in your pain. It helps me with my own.

Mary

• Members

Peace, Support and Undertanding.   That's what I had found here.   And, I am praying that's what will continue flowing through this thread.

CH

• Members
misshimstill

Oh, my, yes, Claudia!  No motivation at all.  Have to make myself just get up in the morning.  I do what absolutely has to be done, but beyond that is even more of a struggle.  ~Oneta

• Members
bigmikesmom

I agree 100% with Claudia and the rest  about Motivation. I did not feel quilty about my lack of motivation before but lately I feel like I should be getting things done. I just don't have the MOTIVATION! I guess it's part of the depression. I will also pray for all of us to get our motivation back. God Bless!

Patti-BigMikesMom

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Well, AngelGirl, What can I say?  It's not that I want the "gory details" of anything in anyone's life or death of their loved one, including yours.  I was just hoping that we could abandon the non-fruit bearing discussion.  I have been praying that you would eventually feel comfortable in "opening up" and sharing your journey of loss, grief, and healing--because that's what brought us all here, to this site.  I don’t want to know anything about you that you don't want to share.  Regardless of the opinion you have formed of me, I am not a stone.  I know that you feel pain as I do, and that your life and heart have been broken by the tragedy of losing a child.  I'm glad you are pm'ing with someone and finding comfort, truly.  For what it's worth, I am sorry that you and I have had such difficulty exhibiting God's grace toward one another.  All I can do at this point is keep praying for enlightenment and let you be to your opinions, hoping that one day we can find the common bond of sisterhood and love one another as Christ loves us.

As for my earthly dad, I can say he is not saved, because he has not to this day confessed Jesus Christ as his savior and Lord.  His heart is softening some and seeds continually are being planted and watered, so all I can do is keep praying that the harvest will come for him.  I sense he has a lot of fear in opening up and becoming vulnerable.  He holds in a lifetime's worth of pain, and perhaps is most scared of what will happen if he willingly lets the lid off of the kettle.  A few years ago he had double bypass surgery.  Afterwards he developed a horrible staph infection.  He almost lost his legs and for a time we weren't sure he was going to make it.  I had long talks with him, held his hand and prayed fervently at his bedside.  Still he would not open his heart for Jesus.  Over this last Christmas that I visited him over several weeks, we talked often, but he again wanted nothing to do with "faith".  My heart literally was broken as I got a vision of what a man looks like when he has been left to his own reprobate mind, as Scripture speaks of, BUT I still will not give up on praying for his salvation.  I judge my dad's spiritual condition based on Biblical Truths and what I continue to learn in my personal relationship with my dad.  My personal faith journey includes having been raised Roman Catholic as a small child, baptized by sprinkling as a baby, (I even baptized my babies in the catholic church before my conversion), BUT then I was saved through Jesus Christ as an adult (outside of the church)--born again, baptized in the Holy Spirit, baptized by immersion, and I continue to this day to be ever enlightened by the Truth of the Word of God.  It is not by my emotions or solely by my personal experiences that I walk--otherwise I would be just another religion, basing my worldview on things outside of the Scriptures.  It is by the grace of God and the guiding of the Holy Spirit that I walk in His Truth. 

Blessings and love, In Christ, Claudia

• Members
misshimstill

Hi, all - especially Sal for the moment.   Just a word more on motivation, especially in regard to your son.  I agree with Claudia that our society is really quick to put kids on meds, whether it be for hyperactivity or depression.  You really have to lean on the Lord and ask for His guidance in situations like yours.  Medication is not always the answer.  Sometimes it is, and I know that kids have been helped by being on Ritalin.  I will step up my prayers for you in regard to this issue. 

Motivation is one of the hardest things during grief, at least in my experience.  When you're grieving, your interest in life, your joy in life is pretty much taken from you, again at least in my experience.  I think motivation will return at some point.  I have felt myself ever so slowly getting it back.  It's really hard when you have children you have to take care of.  On one hand they are probably what saves you from completely turning inward.  On the other hand no motivation is no motivation, even for their sakes.  It's a hard catch 22 place to be.  Prayer for each other for this is sure a good idea, I think.

Claudia, I do not believe that you have not exhibited God's grace toward angel.  From my vantage point it seems that you have tried very hard to be gentle, patient and loving.  That's all I'm going to say on that subject.  Don't want to keep stirring the pot, but felt that you needed encouragement.

Your situation with your dad is very difficult.  It sounds like you have done all that is "humanly" possible to bring him to salvation and knowledge of the Lord.  Sometimes progress is being made in a person that we are unaware of.  I saw that happen in my mother.  Her whole life she said she had "no faith".  She was a church-going woman, raised by a devout Pentecostal mother, and somehow even though she claimed to not have any faith herself, she somehow managed to raise me to believe very much in the goodness and love of God.  Go figure.  I spent much time, as did my brother and her pastor during her illness talking to her about the gospel.  She always said the same thing, basically that she just "didn't get it" (those weren't her words per se, but what she meant)  At the time of her death, I'm very happy to say that she said to her pastor and my sister-in-law one morning before I got there that she was "ready to meet God" and had had a vision that morning of my dad and my two brothers who had died as children, waiting for her "on the other side".  I don't believe there is anything that has ever given me more joy or pleasure than hearing those words!  So for your dad, there's still time.  You never know what is happening under the ground to those seeds you have planted, and probably that others have planted, too.  I know that you are aware of the scripture that says the seed has to go into the ground and die before it can bear fruit.  We will continue to lift him up as God directs.  We know that God loves him very, very much.  He is His son.  I just wanted to encourage you by telling you about my mother and pray that God uses my story in that way in your heart.

To everyone - Have a good day full of the blessings and love of our Lord Jesus!  ~Oneta

• Members

Good morning all,

Claudia, Daniellemom, Granny, Rodless, Oneta, Patti, Deb, Mary, Rody, and all that I might have missed this morning,

I pray today that God will rejuvinate us with passion and love for life.  That we will serve the Lord today with gladness in our hearts.  That we will be able to dance in the knowldege that our children are with our Lord and God has things for us to do here on Earth for His glory.   That God's Spirit will fill us with motivation to continually care for God's garden...planting seeds, weeding, watering, waiting patiently and reaping the harvest.  And God will fill us with joy while we live for His glory.  He will give us a joy in everyday tasks.  Cooking, cleaning, working, living, and loving.  We will be renewed with His Holy Spirit.

Claudia...for you father...  May God's spirit pierce his soul to the core and show him God's truth.  May his heart be opened to God's love and forgiveness.  May you have the strength and wisdom of the Holy Spirit each day in your ministry and with your interactions with your father. 

God bless each one of us today as we go about his ministry,

Sal

• Members
daniellemom

Afternoon!

Just wanted to tell everyone that I'm praying for each of you to have the strength to travel this path that the Lord has laid for us to travel. It's so very hard and I come here and read and get strength from the people that believe in prayers changes things. We can all wish for things but I was always taught that praying puts feet on things. In other words when we are praying things start happening. I almost started shouting when I read about your son Sal that is doing better after you fasted and prayed. That's wonderful news!!:)

I just want everyone to know that I'm praying for each of us. Yes me included to have the strength to live this life without our loved ones here on earth.

My grandfather is very sick and he told my Mama I think last week that he didn't want us to be mad at him because he was going to see Danielle before we were! Now you all know that I might just bet him there because I never would have thought that Danielle would go before him, we never know the Lord's plans for us. But I just thought that was so sweet of him to say that to my Mama.

I'm reading a book Come Thirsty I forget who wrote it but I will let all of you know the author, because it's such a good book, it's about coming and drinking from the living water the Lord.

I guess gone on long enought now! I just want each of you to know I'm holding you up to the Lord.

Your sister in Christ,

Sonya (Danielle's Mom)

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Oneta, THANK YOU!  I have been struggling a little bit between flesh and Spirit in how to answer some of the issues and attacks that have been flying on the thread.  It's not that I feel I should "ward" the thread, but this is the one "safe place" I have where I can express myself without having to think too hard about how I am being judged.  You and I have discussed here and privately in the past how difficult it is to be "open and vulnerable" when in the position of always being in front in ministry.  For me, living in a completely different culture compounds the difficulties, and in a very real sense, the only support system I have is my husband and this thread.  I am not exagerating.  There are more days than not now where I feel joy in the Spirit and ready to go out and publicly minister.  But I have my days when I am crushed by the weight of grief and it's so hard to be in front of anyone when feeling like that.  It's not the proverbial put your smile on and go to church kind of thing, because I believe in being real with people.  It's just that walking as a "gringo" in this culture, and as a pastor's wife and leader, people have high threshholds of expectation for what I should and shouldn't be, what I should and shouldn't feel, and what I should and shouldn't share or say.  That said, I feel really it's a matter of entrenching myself deeper into the culture and earning the respect of the people here as we get to really know them in working closely together.  But that takes time, and it really is hard work--which is why motivation is such a key player in moving forward and how weak I feel so much of the time for not feeling motivated.  I speculate it's isolating and more stressful than the norm under these conditions.  This May I will have been here for two years, and since then I have suffered tremendous trials in the midst of trying to acclimate, learning to communicate in a foreign language I never studied before, and so on.  For the most part I can honestly say it is a very strong and true testimony to God's mercy and grace, and especially His faithfulness, as He has said He will turn what was meant for evil into good for those who are called according to His purpose.  The testimony continues to bear fruit and glory to Him as my life and ministry unfold here, because this is His will for me.  This is where He sent me to live, work, and be.  And so back to the battle of flesh and Spirit, I felt some part of me hitting desperation in wanting so much that this thread hold to the original context in which it was created--from a solely BIBLICAL perspective of handling loss, mourning, grieving, and healing.  It pains me that some of the personal comments being flushed out somewhere along the line became less about sharing a journey together based on Biblical Truths, and more about a truth war between an ancient church idealism + the scriptures vs, solely the Scriptures.  And somewhere in that truth war it turned into personal attack against me--even bringing my dad into it.  That is exactly where I felt like I lost my patience and grace with this ongoing banter.  Perhaps I may not have exhibited so much of a lack of grace here on the thread, but I certainly have caved a bit here at home, having written a lot of things and scratched most of what I intended to post by the grace of God.  This journey is hard enough having solely experienced loss of such magnitude.  But having experienced that, as well as the isolation of being in a foreign land, being in a position where I have to exercise extreme self-control regarding almost everything, and having very little to no support system....I look forward to being here among others who hold to Truth in their hearts as we lift one another up in prayer and support.  I crave it, and I need it.   So, earnestly I thank you from my whole heart for your encouragement.  I needed it, even though I didn't realize how much until I read your words.  Thank you so very much, sister and friend.  As for the truth war, I have been praying about it, and I have concluded that God has already claimed victory through Jesus Christ, and no one or nothing will change that no matter what they want to believe.  In His Love and Service  -Claudia 

Psa 17:7 Wondrously show Your lovingkindness, O Savior of those who take refuge at Your right hand From those who rise up against them.

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Sonya, What very precious words from your grandfather.  I was deeply touched....  thank you so much for sharing.  It gives me such a beautiful image to hold onto, knowing that as we, each one, prepare onward into our journey home, how wonderous the reunion will be.  I actually envy those who go home to the Lord, because I know they have fulfilled their journey, and there is only the ever surrounding presence of God's full glory to behold.  Can you even imagine how beautiful that must be?  Give your grandfather a hug from me, your sister and friend at BI, and tell him that when it is God's Will that he go to join Jesus and Danielle, to also tell Joey when he meets him that his mama said "hey".  Love and hugs, Claudia

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Sal, THANK YOU for your prayers for my daddy and my ministry work here.  I do hold onto Hope in Jesus that my dad will take hold of salvation, this most precious gift of grace and love.  Today was a good day with the pastor's conference that we hosted.  I made a good gringo spaghetti lunch with garlic bread and a southern taste of sweet tea, and peaches for dessert.  The conference went really well, and I was blessed to have one of the wives come along to help me and fellowship with while we worked.  As for this day, motivation prayers were answered, and as you are, I continue to lift you up and all our sisters here.  Bless you, Claudia

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Patti, THANK YOU for reminding me of that January 10th post.  I was blessed by reading it, and really felt touched and honored again that you chose to journey here with us, with me as well.  And it was also a blessing to see my own "seemingly insightful" words regarding trials that may come along here on this thread.

Quote" I can't say for sure that we will get the true freedom here on this thread to share w/o others interjecting blasts of opionions, but if it does happen, maybe we can agree now to just ignore it and keep to what's good and of good report, and of honor.  k?  I don't have any motives other than to be here, on this thread, sharing and caring in the name of Jesus."

THANK YOU, PATTI!  I think that was a gift from the Lord today to remind me, and perhaps all of us that there will always be those that come against us.  How we choose to respond is simply a matter of honoring God or not.  Sometimes we are to remain silent.  Sometimes we are to speak Truth with gentleness and respect.  And other times it may be that we rebuke in the name of Jesus.  But for the sake of His glory I pray that it will be now and always according to His Will and always covered in prayer.  Love to you always, Claudia

Tit 3:4-11 But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God will be careful to engage in good deeds. These things are good and profitable for men. But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. Reject a factious man after a first and second warning, knowing that such a man is perverted and is sinning, being self-condemned.

• Members
misshimstill

Hi, everyone.

I have some time here, so I want to try to respond to the different people who have posted lately.  I'll try to not leave anyone out.  It is so important to all of us to be able to not only share our hearts and our pain - and joys and our victories, but when we do post we also want to know that someone is reading and praying about our concerns. 

Cheryl,  As always you post positive, Jesus-centered, unifying words.  I'm so glad you've joined our thread. 

Sal,  I appreciate your prayers.  One thing I've really noticed about you is that you don't just SAY that you're going to pray, but you do it right on the thread!  I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed that.  Not that we don't all pray when we say we will, but it's just something that I've noticed about you.  Thank you so much.

Patti,  One thing I'm impressed about you is that in the midst of your trials, your grief, you have stated that it is important to you that you "come through spreading Christ's hope and glory to others".  What better goal could any of us have?  None of us want to become angry, bitter people (another issue that you raised in one of your posts) and it seems to me that you are doing a good job of keeping your heart open to the Spirit and are trying to be the person God has called you to be.  You're a good example to us.

Kay,  I don't think I've seen your posts too often here on this thread, but in one of them I read that you're trying to be grateful for the time God "loaned" Johnny to you.  All of the people in our families are really only loaned to us, whether they be children, parents, spouses, whatever.  It is good to remember that and be thankful for the time God "loans" them to us rather than being angry that He chooses to take them to be with Him.  As Job says, "He gives and He takes away.  Blessed be the Name of the Lord." 

Crushed heart,  I've only seen your post once, but in it you stated that you're grateful that God just loves you the way you are.  We all need to be thankful for that, don't we?  Thank you for reminding us of that.

Roddy,  You always bring a Biblical perspective to the thread.  Thank you for that.  I've seen in you an extremely strong faith and you have suffered much loss.  Your life is a witness to us all.  I appreciate that about you.

Danielle's mom,  You are a big believer in prayer, too.  I loved the story of your grandfather.  I remember when my mother was dying, I kept thinking how wonderful it was that she, after having lost two sons in their childhood, was finally going to be with them and would never have to suffer the pain of separation from them ever again!  That's what I thought of when I read your story of your grandfather.  He will soon be in Glory!  With Danielle!  Hallellujah and Praise God for that!

And Claudia,  I could say so much to you.  You have shared so much of your heart with us.  You do walk a very thin line in your work, trying to honor the cultural traditions that have to be so different from what you grew up with!  Having no one, really, to talk to there.  Being the "gringo".  Dealing with your grief.  Being in a place of spiritual leadership with not much support there where you are.  I feel like if you did slip into the "flesh" once in a while, it is certainly understandable.  We all here on this thread are so grateful for you and depend so much on your encouragement.  It seems it is pretty important to all of us here.  Even here on this thread, you find yourself in a place of leadership, trying to give encouragement and prayer support, etc. to all of us, as well as trying to answer the criticisms that come. 

You know what I think the Lord would say to all of you?  I think He'd say, "Well done, good and faithful servants." 

Well, I'm sure I've left out someone major here.  I've tried to speak to everyone who has posted on a regular basis.  I don't intend to miss anyone.  If I have please forgive me.  And if I did, please know that you are welcome in Jesus' name to post, to get support, to give support, to pray and be prayed for, to tell us you're having a terrible day or that you're having a surprisingly good day.  Just whatever! 

Blessings in the Name of our Savior, Jesus!  ~Oneta

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Cheryl, BIG HUGS to you.  I am really glad you joined us here on the thread.  Post as you feel up to it, but know we are here for you.  Sisters!  -Claudia

• Members

;) (((Hi All)))

Claudia, I have to tell you that you have been nothing but graceful in all your responses.  I've been so in awe at how the Lord leads your words during the threads difficulties.     I am only very sorry that I did the little sharing that still to me seems to have fueled a fire I didn't realize was blazing.

Anyway, It was mentioned why the need for the details.  In my journey so far in this valley of dry bones (but still looking for those grassy patches) that we NEED to tell, tell, tell our stories to bring healing to ourselves.  I've been in a grief group and he so continues to have us every so many weeks tell our stories becuz it helps us receive acceptance.  And, I think so much of the Word refers to us confessing with our mouth to bring it into our hearts.  So, I feel it is just another part of our healing process and what in this process is fun?   Letting myself cry when the tears come has been another great big hurtle for me, but now when the tears come I just go to the cross with it all and pray for healing and cleansing.

Lastly,  I asked Oneta, today for insite on a scripture, one of many my husband ministered to me with right before he passed away.  I should probably look up the reference but I haven't.   But, Its the one that we are told our Lord "will be the father to the fatherless and the spouse to the widow" (my paraphrase).   I claim it in my loneliness, I try to stand on it when my days are heading down those sad "what if" days, but I am surely open to any other suggestions on how to get a revelation for myself on this scripture.    Suggestions?  Very Welcome.

Thanks all,  I am so glad for this thread, where our God Reigns!

Cheryl

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Hi Cheryl, The Scripture referred to I'll paste here along with some study notes that I have on the Scripture, not certain how helpful they will be, but know that our Lord God indeed is "keeping you unto Himself", is your protector, and your Groom.  How sad I am for your loneliness, but how glad for the HOPE in Christ that makes a difference for now and ever.  I hope we can bring you comfort and fellowship in our community of believers who know your pain.  BIG HUGS, Claudia

Psa 68:5 A father of the fatherless and a judge for the widows, Is God in His holy habitation.

a Judge of the widows; of such who are widows indeed in a literal sense, and especially that are believers, his elect that cry unto him; see Luk_18:2; and of such who are so in a spiritual sense; even of the whole church of Christ, (meaning the body of believers known as His Bride), who may, even now, be said to be in a widowhood estate, as well as under the former dispensation; since Christ, her bridegroom, is gone to heaven, and who yet, in the mean time, is her Judge, protector, and defender; and when she is made ready for him, as a bride adorned for her husband, will come and take her to himself, and she shall remember the reproach of her widowhood no more, Isa_54:4;

He is a judge or patron of the widows, to give them counsel and to redress their grievances, to own them and plead their cause, Pro_22:23. He has an ear open to all their complaints and a hand open to all their wants. He is so in his holy habitation, which may be understood either of the habitation of his glory in heaven (there he has prepared his throne of judgment, which the fatherless and widow have free recourse to, and are taken under the protection of, Psa_9:4, Psa_9:7), or of the habitation of his grace on earth; and so it is a direction to the widows and fatherless how to apply to God; let them go to his holy habitation, to his word and ordinances; there they may find him and find comfort in him.

or also to mean God in his holy habitation: in heaven, the habitation of his holiness, where is Christ the high and Holy One; and has respect to the poor and lowly, the fatherless and the widow: or in his church (the body of believers), his holy temple (the believer's body itself), where he dwells and walks, and grants his gracious presence, and will do to the end of the world, according to his promise; or in his holy human nature, the temple and the tabernacle, in which the Godhead dwells.

Archived