Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lots Of Stress And Grief While Starting New Life

tnd

• Members
9 hours ago, tnd said:

Sometimes this means leaving what we thought was our comfort zone.

No doubt tnd.  My outlook on many things has changed.  I even tried the Wim Hof breathing techniques for awhile, which actually helped me to relax quite a bit when I really needed it. Now, I do my version of meditation in the morning,  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tnd

• John9

• KayC

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, steveb said:

I even tried the Wim Hof breathing techniques for awhile, which actually helped me to relax quite a bit

I've never heard of it, may have to look into it...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 2/20/2022 at 4:06 PM, steveb said:

Give it a shot KayC!

steveb:  I read on the Wim Hof site that it's even used to reduce symptoms of Sarcoidosis, which is what I have. I've kind of been doing the Wim Hof method on my own already....sit and inhale deeply thru my nose and then exhale deeply thru my mouth. Respiratory Therapist suggested this. The bigger/deeper the breaths the higher my O2 level goes and it helps me to relax AND have energy. Sometimes I will have what I call "breathing attacks" that are very similar to hyperventilating. I really struggle to breath at times, especially if I am exerting myself or stressed out. But I'll stop and take a big deep breath in and repeat this several times. It usually slows down my breathing so I can take a deep enough breath to get more oxygen in me. 

Anyways, this Wim Hof method seems very helpful. Glad you mentioned it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
9 hours ago, KayC said:

I didn't know it had a name for it.

KayC:  Another "name" for it could be "ME" aka KayC. I think relaxing and/or meditating falls under self-care. We gotta be kind to ourselves to be at our best.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
40 minutes ago, tnd said:

Oh please PLEASE let there be an apartment available for me soon! :wacko2:

tnd,

It is still my hope as well. One would hope that there are some openings available that work for you. I understand that you need the peace of mind and the peace to be able to unwind and relax. I know that we all hope this happens for you soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, tnd said:

Fran has it set up on a limited plan.

I have limited data where I live too, but it allows free usage between midnight and 5 am I believe, I'm never up at midnight but get up sometimes at 3 or 4 am, so you might see if you can access it if you're ever awake in those wee hours.I

13 hours ago, tnd said:

I can see myself babysitting in the future

Consider your age/disability and volunteer this only for what you can handle realistically, rather than babysitting while parents are at work, maybe a couple hours a week to give them some time to themselves, let someone else handle the full time care of them, we aren't young anymore!

tnd, you have such an amazing attitude, you continue to impress me.  I know you're in survival mode but it's more than that, you are amazingly positive, I just love you!  And I continue to pray something opens up for you soon.  Strength for today...

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 3/1/2022 at 11:40 AM, KayC said:

I know you're in survival mode but it's more than that, you are amazingly positive,

Thanks, KayC.   Some who knew me would say I am impatient and certainly not positive. I think if they knew or lived what I have, they'd see that I am perhaps one of the most patient people in the world. The past year has more or less forced me to think positively about things. I am slowly learning to just let go of my anger and fear. Not easy to do when you know it's still there. But anymore, I look at things like "Whatever is going to happen is going to happen" or "Whatever, it happened and I can't change it". 

Whenever people would tell my mother her ideas would never work, she'd say "What's going to happen? Are they going to turn me into a pumpkin at midnite??" 

Or I think of what a therapist once told me to ask myself; "What is the worst that could happen if I don't do XYZ or something doesn't turn out right? "  

Sometimes in the middle of the night is when I have anxiety attacks. Gnaws at my bones, affects my breathing and makes my heart go "rat-ta-tat-tat". If it weren't addictive, I think everyone who is grieving and suffering should be given some Xanax. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, tnd said:

"What is the worst that could happen if I don't do XYZ or something doesn't turn out right? " 

From someone who is an expert on anxiety, I don't care for that as a solution because that thought can take my anxiety to a whole other level!  Instead I stay in today, tell myself, I can do today.  Even alone, even at my age, no matter what storm comes along, I can do today.  It's gotten me through nearly 17 years now.

12 hours ago, John9 said:

"what will be will be"

My sweet MIL used to say that.  Her husband was Italian and used to yell and move his arms a lot, and she'd nonchalantly shrug her shoulders and calmly say, "He can't yell forever."  I loved how she handled him.  It still makes me smile.  And I loved him too, just as much, they were wonderful in-laws (my kids' dad, George's family was a whole other story...).

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 3/2/2022 at 5:41 PM, John9 said:

Sorry just venting again, it is too much and everyday it is something else. It just hit me today that this Sunday is my loving wife's cats Birthday and they will be 2 years old and my loving wife never got to enjoy them. Then the next Sunday is the 1 year Anniversary of my loving wife's death. There are so many thoughts in my head it is terribly crowded in there, maybe it will just explode from everything.

John9:   Sorry for the late response, was another FUBAR kind of day here. I've been thinking of the 1-year anniversary of your wife's death coming up and how you will be. Not sure what to say other than I know it will be a tough day. I know when my husband's anniversary comes up it's going to be a bad day. All we can really do is remember them and hope they hear us when we tell them how much we love and miss them. Guess we will just have to believe that someday we will rejoin our loved ones. I felt so empty today, almost worse than the feeling you get from being alone too long. It's like an entire half of my very being is gone. Leaves an actual feeling of emptiness. And I don't know what to fill it with or if I should. I think I will always feel an emptiness where a life I had used to be. Sure, the other part of us can maybe go on but that emptiness I think will always be there. Kind of like a deep scar or old wound that is sensitive. And on anniversaries of deaths, I suppose we can acknowledge the date, but I don't want to remember what happened on the day. I'd like that memory to go away. I can't speak for others, but I suppose others feel that way, too. If you can, hopefully you will be able to just quietly grieve in peace that day and not let anything else into your head that day. Like you said, it is terribly crowded in there. Take a little time that day for yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, tnd said:

quietly grieve in peace that day and not let anything else into your head that day

Yes

• Hugs 1

• Members
10 hours ago, tnd said:

was another FUBAR kind of day here.

tnd,

I am sorry you are having the issues you are having, thank you for the suggestions and yes I have found out that there have been some really terrible days like Birthdays and such. I can't really say that I have any good days, just some less terrible than others. FUBAR is pretty much my existence now ever since my loving wife died. It seems like nothing goes the way it should or at least the way I believe it should. Every little simple thing becomes a complicated process or a total mess. It seems there is nothing but endless paperwork and even then it isn't filled out correctly or something is missing or they didn't receive it. None of that helps my broken brain and my broken heart and it doesn't make any sense either. As I have said before there has to be a better simpler way to handle this by now. But as I have also said, unless the "important" people ever have to deal with these issues they will never be addressed and fixed or corrected. I know it is really the same issues as everything else and comes down to money and staffing which are directly connected. Also some people don't see a problem so a solution isn't needed. The system works as far as they are concerned, "nobody complained"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Members
13 hours ago, John9 said:

Every little simple thing becomes a complicated process or a total mess.

John9:  And it doesn't just apply to the paperwork you are having to deal with. This is how I feel nearly every day now, like everything is a chore. I have to stop and think about things just to make sure I'm not messing anything up. What you are doing (estate work) is complicated enough but to have to do it while experiencing the trauma of grief, I can't imagine. I doubt I could handle it. You're a saint for taking care of all these people and their affairs.   

You'll be thought of tomorrow on the 1st anniversary of your wife's passing. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers.   

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Had to look it up...The meaning of FUBAR is thoroughly confused, disordered, damaged or ruined.
Thin king of you John as you make your way through this:

Anniversary of a Loved One's Death
Anniversary of Death
Anniversary of death tips
Tips for Coping with Anniversary Reactions in Grief

To me, this is one of the hardest days as often our minds go back to "the day" and it's hard not to relive the horror of that day/night.  I'm hoping you can remember the good moments in your life together and remember that they are at peace and w/o pain now, and you'll be together again.

I like to think of it as making it a whole year!  We did the unthinkable, we somehow lived through that and deserve a badge or trophy for doing so.  

trophy.jpg

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

I was wondering about you yesterday and here you are, I'm so sorry, I wish you were out of there and in a better space with your cats by your side. :wub:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 3/11/2022 at 9:21 AM, tnd said:

Sometimes when I'm awake, my arms or hands will be spastic and shake or jolt about. I've gotten use to it except lately it's been happening when I sleep and involves my whole body. It's a little painful.

tnd,

I hope it isn't serious, I have had restless leg syndrome for awhile and it used to bother my loving wife when we were in bed. Now I have noticed that what I have has a cycle to it and it comes more frequently when I have had a really bad day as opposed to a bad day. Once again it is probably our best friend STRESS and all of his/her buddies. I so would like to be able to read soon that you have finally been able to move into your own Apartment.B)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Every day you're missing concerns me...I wish so much you were in a safe place.  Although "home" has it's reminders and triggers, I am seeing now how fortunate I was to be able to stay here when he died.  I worried I wouldn't be able to as I lost my job and had no $ and the incoming medical bills were tremendous.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

@tnd  Im going to keep praying that you find your own apartment SOON.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Tnd, 

So glad to hear from you.  I am excited about your getting on the waiting list tomorrow!!!!   I really hope that happens. 

Even though you may have many names ahead of you, you may rise to the top quickly.  People on the list move out of town for a job, or they move in with a boyfriend/girlfriend, etc., circumstances change.  So getting on the list is a really big step forward!  Good luck!!!

Gail

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

$600/month is way more than they should be getting, they should be appreciative.  How I wish this nightmare were over for you so you could get on to "normal grief," if there is such a thing.  We care!  Sending you positive thoughts and prayers your way!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

tnd,

Thanks for the update, sorry it wasn't good news. Sadly people aren't always aware of other's feelings or needs, or just don't really care. I hope I was never that way and hope to never be that way, that is just another thing I miss about my loving wife she would make sure I wasn't that way. She was my grounding rod for lack of a better way of saying it, she kept me on the right path also. Still hoping for that good news when it comes:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I've never understood how callous and selfish some people are. If I promise someone that I will do something or be there at a certain time, I'll be there way earlier. I've always been like this, and when someone promises something and doesn't deliver, it really bugs me to no end. Fran could've got out of bed, taken some Tylenol and an hour later would have been good to go. I really feel for you tnd, I hope this gets resolved soon and you get your own place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Canadagirl81
On 2/20/2022 at 8:28 AM, KayC said:

I've never heard of it, may have to look into it...

@KayC It's amazing.....Wim Hof breathing technique is SUPER helpful and empowering. I used to do it all the time. I need to get back into it. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, tnd said:

She has to think about the grandkids.  

Absolutely and it's child endangerment!  I shudder to think if one of the kids had found his drugs!  Even one of the pets.  But then drug users aren't known to be responsible.  His choice  is causing him to be out on the streets.

Tylenol does nothing for migraines, if she does indeed have one.  Every Friday sounds suspicious. 

1 hour ago, John9 said:

I am starting to think that Fran is intentionally trying to keep tnd with her for personal/financial reasons

Personally, I'd contact a church for help picking me up and taking me...this family can't be counted on and it seems you've been held hostage long enough.  Our church would definitely help someone in this situation!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 3/21/2022 at 7:10 AM, John9 said:

I am starting to think that Fran is intentionally trying to keep tnd with her for personal/financial reasons.

John9:  I've thought the same thing. She is always complaining that she doesn't have money but then I see her come home with purchases. And she regularly gets deliveries. Some of her online makeup is more than some of the food I eat. All I know is that once I do move out, I am not committing to any sort of babysitting on a regular basis. I need to stick to my plan to do what I want to do and not be suckered into doing things all because they might pull on my heartstrings. I don't know how much time I have left on this earth and for once I want to do what I want to do and whatever comes to mind when I wake up in the mornings. I love the children and understand that they need help or someone like me in their lives but then realized that this is how I end up veering off my plan and I've already done that -for a lot of years. It's "my time" now. And I don't care if that sounds selfish. I've given and given of myself and now I need to give TO myself. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
On 3/21/2022 at 8:45 AM, KayC said:

Tylenol does nothing for migraines, if she does indeed have one.  Every Friday sounds suspicious. 

KayC:  It always seems to be on a Friday or a Monday. But even so, she could have told me, my room is right down the hall from hers. Or she could have had her husband tell me. And yes, she apparently does see a doctor for the migraines but can't take the meds because it raises her BP.  ??  Anyways, regardless of why she couldn't or didn't want to go, she could have told me instead of making me wait and wonder all friggin day. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
1 hour ago, tnd said:

She wants me to sign a medical POA. My doctor quickly chimed in and looked straight at me (he must've felt how uneasy I was) and said that if I wanted to, I could have a lawyer draw me up a "Limited Medical" POA. If I didn't know better, my doctor seemed to sense how uncomfortable I was with Fran there. That is not going to happen again, I'm going to tell her that I don't need to feel like "my mother has to come into the room with me". 

tnd,

I can only speak from my personal experience with my friend, when he had his strokes and nobody could speak for him it was hell for me. I never wanted any of the responsibility but it a necessary evil after it all happened. I would hope that whatever else Fran may or may not be up to, she is only wanting to help IF the need arises. I will say that without anyone to speak for you at the very least you should have something on file with the Doctors or Insurance stating your wishes, like a DNR or whatever your wishes are. I had the Lawyer draw all of that up for me since my loving wife died because it falls to our son now. I also filed a copy with the Hospital system in my records in case nobody is available to speak for me. I can't cover all bases but I am trying to make it easy for everyone. You do have the right to not allow anyone in the examination room unless you want them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members

I do recommend everyone fill out advanced directives, as to what type of treastment you want to receive. But that is different than giving another person the power to make decisions for you. 

In my opinion,  you have to really know and really trust someone to sign over a Power of Attorney to them to allow them to make decisions for you.  

In my opinion, you do not have that sort of relationship with Fran.  It takes many years, maybe decades, to build that sort of trust, imho. I am pretty shocked that she would suggest you give her a POA.  You have only known her 6 months.   I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Gail 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
52 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

I do recommend everyone fill out advanced directives, as to what type of treastment you want to receive. But that is different than giving another person the power to make decisions for you. 

In my opinion,  you have to really know and really trust someone to sign over a Power of Attorney to them to allow them to make decisions for you.  

In my opinion, you do not have that sort of relationship with Fran.  It takes many years, maybe decades, to build that sort of trust, imho. I am pretty shocked that she would suggest you give her a POA.  You have only known her 6 months.   I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Gail 

Right on Gail!  I'm leery of Fran's motives about everything at this point.  I don't trust her or her family at all.

@tnd  Please do not give Fran any sort of PoA, medical or otherwise, over you.  Nothing!  As far as I can tell, she's already taking advantage and gaslighting you with things like rides, internet, and money.  I think the "rent" they are charging you is outrageous, but I understand why you will pay it so as not to "rock the boat" while you work to get out of there.  We worry about you, even though we know you are a perfectly competent adult woman, because you are stuck in a hard situation and haven't even been able to properly grieve.  I know I'm on the outside looking in, so to speak, and you are the one living day-to-day with them.  Just know that we are thinking of and praying for you often.

I'm so relieved to hear that you are going to focus on you when you have your own place.  I feel bad for those children, but you're right that you cannot make them your responsibility.  You deserve to live the rest of your life taking care of you (and your cats, of course).

Gail is 100% correct that it takes years/decades to build the kind of trust a PoA requires.  My SIL (John's sister) is mine now.  I've known her for nearly 40 years and trust her implicitly.  My sister-by-birth is alternate and my sister-by-choice of 33 years is "third in line."  These are women I trust with every fiber of my being and so did John.

Though you should have a medical PoA, I'm not sure who that would be for you.  Perhaps a legal service could guide you.  There are often free or discounted consultations of 30-60 minutes.  And some lawyers do donate their time for those in need, likely also just an initial meeting and advice, but that can be enormously helpful.  John and I did that after my mom died.  Everything except personal possessions had beneficiaries, TODs, or John and me on the account (her modest mobile home for example; she redeeded it with us added at JTRS so it passed directly to us).  Her estate was quite modest overall, but we figured better to be safe than sorry.  We paid $50 for a 1 hour consultation with a lawyer on a Saturday when he ran "clinic" hours.  It put our minds at ease.  Maybe you could do a web search to see if there is anything like that in your area.

Whatever you decide, I think it's pretty clear that none of your friends here think you should trust Fran or her family. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Oh @tnd  I keep praying for you, setting an intention that an apartment open up for you because I feel so bad that, number one, you havent been able to grieve properly, but also that you seem to be living in a warped twilight zone with people who are malfunctioning. I pray every day for you and your cats and I keep asking that an apartment open up for you NOW!

Is there not some other charity, organization, church, synagogue, temple, mosque, ashram, Lion's Club, Rotary, Freemason, private benefactor -- someone -- in your city that could help?  I know a friend of mine, in his city, a certain Sikh temple came to the rescue of people affected by floods.  Please try reaching out again. There has got to be someone or some organization.  I've started asking people to help me because i finally admitted to myself that i can't do it all by myself.

You gotta put yourself #1.  If that means no babysitting, so be it.  You're #1 now.  The incompetancies / callousness / carelessness of most people truly rattles me.  Humans went off the rails somewhere along the line.  Prayers for you,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
2 hours ago, John9 said:

I can only speak from my personal experience with my friend, when he had his strokes and nobody could speak for him it was hell for me.

John9:   Fran wants to be able to speak with my doctors to get updates on my condition if I am ever unable to talk. She also knows that I never want to be in a coma for more than a few weeks. I guess a Limited Medical POA would cover that and any HIPAA laws. I think I'll be okay with doing that. Apparently she has a friend or cousin who is a lawyer that can handle the paperwork. We'll see. She asked if I'd want her to contact my brother and I said "heck no", he doesn't deserve the privilege of knowing whether I'm dead or alive. 

3 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Just my opinion, but i recommend you do not ever give Fran any POA, limited or not.  

Gail 8588:  I think I would be okay with giving her Limited POA. This would allow her to speak with my doctors in case I can't.  

• Hugs 2