Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lots Of Stress And Grief While Starting New Life

tnd

• Members
1 hour ago, tnd said:

And if this isn't enough, Fran says her husband wants me out ASAP. I think Fran wants me our too but is letting her hubby be the baddie. Anyways, she says not to worry ....and I just got told I need to get out?? How can I not worry? She said her husband is checking out assisted living facilities. And then she said I may have to consider one that won't make me happy (as in beggars can't be choosers). OH REALLY!? I'm not to worry but have no place to live now.

Fingers are crossed that her husband is just having a fit of frustration and things get calmer. I really wish there was something the rest of us here could do for you or that somebody or something out of the blue brings a positive into your world. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tnd

• John9

• KayC

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@tnd  I echo others' sentiments here.  I'm so sorry you have to go through this new stress along with the stress of grief and the health and sleep challenges. Keep on praying for you that God will hear and deliver what you need quickly.  You really need a break.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
9 minutes ago, KayC said:

My place actually went DOWN in value because it's a 44 old mobile home, but it's been kept up, only needs new flooring. 

KayC,

I am not sure how things work where you live, BUT you might be very lucky on paper at least. As I had stated when MIL died and I wanted/attempted to sell her house I couldn't because the value was too high and offer too low. Nobody would listen and Son is close to being able to get rid of it, if it goes through. But since taxes here are based on value, if it had gone down as it should have MIL wouldn't have had to pay as much as she did. Of course what the value says and what someone will pay is where the real issue is. I know you aren't looking or wanting to sell but you might be surprised what your property is worth. But I agree with everyone about what should be done about affordable housing for everyone but especially the older people who are on limited fixed income.

• Like 4

• Members
12 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

I wish I could make these calls on your behalf to advocate for you to get a new living arrangement. 

Thinking of you often and praying you get better housing very soon!

Gail 8588,

I agree with everything you state. And this is just another example of the people who need help not being able to receive it. And not enough help available either or enough resources for those in need.

• Like 4

• Members

I agree John, the need for subsidized housing far exceeds what is available. 

I also believe that the squeaky wheel, or folks who have strong advocates, often get the limited resources ahead of those who patiently follow the rules and wait. 

Tnd's need is really at a critically high level (and has been for a long time).  I just wish we could somehow help advocate for her to get placed sooner. 

I'll keep praying though. 

Gail

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
16 minutes ago, KayC said:

Oh but my taxes are as high as my sister's house valued four times as high, in same town!  Go figure.

KayC,

I wasn't sure whether it was an accurate basis since all States/Counties/Cities seem to have their own rules. I know I tried to argue with the City about ours and lost every time because they said so.

20 minutes ago, KayC said:

Yesterday I made an appt for my mysterious throat/tongue condition I've had 1 1/2 years, for a gastroenterologist, I have to wait 3 months for a consultation with a nurse practitioner! 

I am sorry that you are still having an issue, even getting to see a Dr. or anyone that can help you and I agree that Covid as an excuse is wearing thin. By now the medical field should have figured out how to safely treat patients. But we have discussed before that Covid as an excuse will be with us for many years, and people will suffer for it. I just hope you can finally resolve this and get whatever treatment you need. It just seems like nobody is listening to what you are saying, and we have discussed that issue too about many things.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 6/6/2022 at 9:30 AM, KayC said:

I don't get how the property went down in value, forested, has a year around creek, beautiful property!  If I sold this place I couldn't get another for that value.

My husband was an appraiser. Then an appraisal auditor and then we were laid off and he went back to appraising for another company. I worked as a mortgage underwriter, underwriting instructor and then underwriting auditor. I'm mentioning this to give you an idea of our backgrounds.  

A home's appraised value is based on age of home, condition, square footage and gla (gross living area/rooms), market area and at least 3 comparibles that are similiar and preferably in the same area. Your trees and creek may help to sell it but are not given a dollar value. 

BTW, we are definitely seeing a "housing bubble" again. And when it bursts, especially in this baaad economy, it is going to be very bad. What goes up must come down. How far it goes down and for how long will determine if we are in a recession. I've seen this movie before and fear the worst. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

So far today hasn't gone too bad. I had to deal with my oxygen provider wanting my current prescription for O2 so had to be on the phone. The little girl I am babysitting doesn't have a lot of patience...Otherwise the day is going okay. I think. Thanks all for your caring and kind words. If I can't find anywhere to live I guess there is always the "funny farm". 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
14 minutes ago, tnd said:

A home's appraised value is based on age of home, condition, square footage and gla (gross living area/rooms), market area and at least 3 comparibles that are similiar and preferably in the same area. Your trees and creek may help to sell it but are not given a dollar value. 

BTW, we are definitely seeing a "housing bubble" again. And when it bursts, especially in this baaad economy, it is going to be very bad. What goes up must come down. How far it goes down and for how long will determine if we are in a recession. I've seen this movie before and fear the worst. 

tnd,

That was why I lost my attempts to lower assessed valuation, there are no comparable houses in the area. We have a 2.7 acre lot with a house and there is nothing near us to compare it with and they couldn't check any boxes. Yes this economy will hurt many more people when it all hits the fan again.

13 minutes ago, tnd said:

If I can't find anywhere to live I guess there is always the "funny farm". 

I have questioned why if I haven't died yet, why am I not in a rubber room or maybe I am and just don't know it. Thinking of you and hoping that you are able to make it through until the Apartment opens up. I hope whatever is happening with Fran and her Husband calms down and you get some sort of a break, because you deserve it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members
9 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

My 8 month old grandson is having to give up bottle feedings because we can't find formula to buy

This just kills me that there is a shortage of baby formula. I don't think it's being addressed like it should be. "They" say it's being given priority but I'm not feeling it. I hope your baby grandson will get some soon. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
10 hours ago, John9 said:

I have questioned why if I haven't died yet,

While I am  very glad that you are alive, I wonder how and why I'm still alive too. Especially with what we are being put through. I know I have a conscience and wouldn't want to die and leave my cats to be dumped at a shelter but the biggest concern is reuniting with my husband. No doubt you feel that way about your wife. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, tnd said:

Your trees and creek may help to sell it but are not given a dollar value. 

I had it appraised and he said it being a year around creek does make a difference, as does my forest.  People who clearcut devalue their property.  The county hasn't been out and seen how well cared for it's been in more years than I can count.  If they're relying on google maps aerial view it doesn't give the full picture of the home itself!  The roofs I paid for, the painting that was done, the upkeep, etc.  Nor will they notice when I have the back of the garage done although my bank account surely will!

12 hours ago, John9 said:

there are no comparable houses in the area

I have the same, there are other mobile homes but not cared for the same and each person's property is unique here.  They're shaped differently, some on a hill, some flat, some have the creek, some do not.  My friend/neighbor's has a waterfall and gorge on it!

All just another thing to deal with...alone.  I do my best, all any of us can do.

12 hours ago, John9 said:

I hope whatever is happening with Fran and her Husband calms down and you get some sort of a break, because you deserve it.

Yep, me too!

12 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I honestly don't know how any of this is going to turn out, but it makes me glad I'm old.

Only that we don't have as long to do this...but for those of us who can no longer work, dependent on Soc. Sec. and Medicare, it's frightening when they keep threatening they're running out of $!  What do they want us to do, all live in a homeless camp?  A friend who watches the alternate news (conspiracy theorist) said a lot of stuff last night that didn't help my anxiety level.  Didn't sleep much at all.

I feel sorry for the young people. 

Me too...our grandchildren!

My 8 month old grandson is having to give up bottle feedings because we can't find formula to buy.

I read in the newspaper yesterday that they're starting the US company back up again, too late for your grandson though. :(

2 hours ago, tnd said:

the biggest concern is reuniting with my husband.

Oh Hon, that should be the least of your concerns, once we get there it'll be great, you will be with him again!  
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
7 hours ago, KayC said:

I had it appraised and he said it being a year around creek does make a difference, as does my forest. 

No doubt you have a superior view and that will always help to sell a property. I think it really says something about your will and strength to have managed taking care of everything there on your own. I would love to be able to wake up to that every morning! Some people seem to use their home as a cash card while others like me and you make a house "a home" . 

My husband had the house long before we married. We did just a little updating. Our plan was to stay in it until we retired and then downsize. Instead, we were laid off. We tried hanging on to it but Cobra insurance and everything else cost too much. We knew we had to sell so did. We would have had the mortgage paid off in less than 6 years. It was painful. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

tnd,

I am sorry that you have all of that to deal with. Mine isn't anywhere near as bad as you have it, I just am unable to stay in one position for more than about 2 hours, and the pain causes me to wake up when I move and sometimes I hear myself moaning and making loud noises. Sometimes it scares the cats, probably why they don't let me sleep in.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
45 minutes ago, John9 said:

Sometimes it scares the cats, probably why they don't let me sleep in.

You mean cats let people sleep in?? Yeah, mine don't either. Use to have a Manx that would stomp across our chests every morning. And he was no lightweight. Surprisingly, my husband liked him best. That cat was real independent, did what he what he wanted. Sort of like my husband. But he was also a big baby too. I did a lot of little things for him that he could've done himself but he either didn't like to or else he'd say a I did it just a little better than him. For instance, he didn't iron his shirts, I did that. He didn't like packing for a business trip, so I did that. Same went for cooking. Just little things like that. I never really kept track because he'd do things too and so together things got done. 

Thank God I have my good memories but now I have to live with the bad memory of my husband's death. And it's only been a year so it's not something in my distant past. Nope, it's right here in front of me every waking moment. 

I think about memories and some do make me laugh and feel better. We were homebodies, the two of us. We made our own entertainment. Played a lot Scrabble. Listened to a lot of old music. Competed with the male toads who were calling to attract a mate out on the back patio at nite. We easily amused ourselves. Never had so much stupid fun before until I met him. I don't know what I'm supposed to do now. It's not like I'm going to have that again. He really was one in a million, as I'm sure you say the same about your wife. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
3 minutes ago, tnd said:

You mean cats let people sleep in?? Yeah, mine don't either.

tnd,

One of the biggest issues with my loving wife's cats is that they like to be up high. My loving wife wanted these cats for that reason, they climb. So we put up shelves for them and have a bed for them on top of the headboard on my side of the bed. A very large percentage of the time when one or both of them decide to get down, guess where they land. Yup on me and many times in a very sensitive area. Yes, I would have to say that my loving wife was one in a million too. Memories are good until they aren't, mine turn sad really quickly. But I am here until it is my time to go and somehow I have to figure it all out.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
4 minutes ago, John9 said:

But I am here until it is my time to go and somehow I have to figure it all out.

And somehow I think we will. 

I'm sitting here listening to what I think is a nest of Cardinals near my window. Probably just one or two, which is about all they have. I've been seeing their momma come and go but not the daddy yet. They both tend to the babies. Cardinals had special meaning for my husband and I. Ha..guess they still do. Tell me that's not the reason why you haven't relocated that cat shelf..

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

tnd,

Honestly not much has been moved since my loving wife died. The cats like thing how they are, and I just don't have any desire for change. Probably also as you say things still have a meaning for "us".

• Like 4

• Moderators
17 hours ago, tnd said:

That cat was real independent, did what he what he wanted. Sort of like my husband.

Maybe that is why he liked him, he related to him.  Just like I related to Kitty, we'd both been abandoned, repeatedly.  I promised her a forever home and gave it to her.  She took me up on it, living to 25 1/2.

tnd, sorry you had such a vivid nightmare, I hate that!  Usually have a hard time getting back to sleep, it gets your adrenaline going!

Keep on keeping on, what else can we do!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
19 hours ago, KayC said:

I, like you, haven't had the best of luck...starting over many times, layoffs, husbands abandoning me...I never dreamed I'd still have a mortgage on a 44 year old mobile home that I can ill afford, but here I am...and alone in it. 

I'm sorry. I know it sucks. We can still have a good attitude and fight the fight and keep on keeping on but, it doesn't change the fact that we got the short end of the stick and it sucks. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
18 hours ago, John9 said:

KayC,

That was a thought of mine as well. There are other thoughts but I will not pile on to tnd's mental stress. I will continue to hope that the Apartment comes through soon and she can have some peace of mind which I believe will do her a world of good.

Thanks, John9. I agree, I do think having my own place would do me some good. Physically and mentally. There is so much drama here that sometimes I can hardly hear myself think. Constantly on pins and needles. I'm not use to this environment. My husband and I really were the quiet, calm type. And nobody had to go grab a gun.  No yelling, no intense moments. I knew I had married the right man but he really was pretty terrific. I don't know that anyone here (in this house or family) can say that about each other. Kind of sad. But at least I know I was loved and wanted. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, tnd said:

Some shelters will temporarily house a pet if you contact them about it.

There is nothing like that here.  And the neighbors all have dogs that would tear him apart.  If you have a medical emergency and an ambulance is on the way and you have no one, what do you do about your animal/s?  I'd probably call my next door neighbors who have two small dogs and hope they all get along...

3 hours ago, tnd said:

at least I know I was loved and wanted. 

Yep, me too.

• Hugs 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, tnd said:

I am home and okay. Will post more later. 

This is a relief...will wait for your update!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 6/11/2022 at 5:57 AM, tnd said:

I am home and okay. Will post more later. 

Thinking about you and hoping you are well and safe.

Gail

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Are you okay?  It's been a few days and with what you've been going through, we can't help but worry...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

@tnd Ditto to what Gail and Kay wrote. Please check in when you can.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I also agree and I do worry when nobody posts anything. But sometimes things get a little more overwhelming and it is all you can do just to keep going. that is from my personal experiences only.

• Like 4