Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Food, weather, and other completely mundane, trivial, meaningless topics

widower2

• Moderators

I used to go to Perfect Look when in the valley but the help would always change and you never got consistent cuts.  Now I prefer the small owner owned business where you get the same cut every time.

• Like 4

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• KayC

• foreverhis

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Griefsucks810

I go to a salon around my neighborhood called Violet Salon for years. I only let the male Asian hairstylist cut and color my hair cuz he does a good job every time. I need to have my hair dyed more often than doing it only 2x’s per year like I’ve been doing.  I’m overdue for a haircut and dye job so I’m gonna let my daughter know that I want to get my haircut n dyed next week cuz she said she’d pay for me to get my hair done. This salon brings in over $500k per year too. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
4 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Loreal 6 1/2 Lightest Golden Brown

That was Veronica’s favorite, also.  She couldn’t do it herself so I would help her.  I would apply the color all through her hair and wipe her forehead afterward, tell her when it was time to rinse and help her rinse and apply the color conditioner in the kitchen sink.  I miss that now.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Griefsucks810
1 minute ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

That was Veronica’s favorite, also.  She couldn’t do it herself so I would help her.  I would apply the color all through her hair and wipe her forehead afterward, tell her when it was time to rinse and help her rinse and apply the color conditioner in the kitchen sink.  I miss that now.  

I can’t dye my hair for the life of me cuz I miss a bunch of spots and the dye gets all over the back of my ears, my neck and when I take off the clear gloves from my hands. This is why I have my hair professionally cut and dyed at Violent Salon  by my favorite Asian male hairstylist. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Gail 8588

It was 75 ° here in Tallahassee.  Everything is blooming. 

• Like 4

• Members

It's 6 outside and it's raining....after spring days everything is blooming😂

• Like 4

• Moderators

My flowers are blooming, snow and all!  In the 20s, just a few days ago it was 60s.  Crazy.

• Like 3

• Members
19 hours ago, widower2 said:

Weather here today is amazing, warm even if it was spring. Cherry tree is blooming also

It has been raining here almost every day for the last month. We have flood warnings. All the parks are under water, it's hard to find somewhere for the dog to run.

Today I offloaded my UK taxes on an accountant. I have done our US taxes myself for the last 30 years but they are much harder to understand here, the "instructions" are quite mind boggling. I broke down in the accountants office. Despite feeling constantly depressed it's been a while since I broke down in front of somebody. I then came home and cried some more. I have given myself a headache. 😓

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

It sounds like you made a smart move, I went to a tax consultant a few years ago and haven't regretted it...and I get better results.  I don't think all the programs are good.  Worth the headache imo.

• Like 2

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

Taxes!  That’s another one of those “firsts” I have to get done soon.  Have already collected most of the required forms and stuff.  I think it’s the Form 1099 or something that shows a person had medical coverage.  Veronica’s stopped in July.  😪

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Taxes!  That’s another one of those “firsts” I have to get done soon.

Just remember you can deduct them in the year they died, even if it's January 1.  At least it was when George died, haven't heard it's changed.

• Like 2

• Members
HisMunchkin

I snowed here too.

I came upon this video and had to share it here because we all could use a laugh. 😄

• Haha 3

• Moderators
On 2/29/2024 at 5:45 PM, HisMunchkin said:

I came upon this video and had to share it here because we all could use a laugh. 😄

That's funny! I wonder if it's only that song?

• Like 3

• Members
foreverhis
13 hours ago, widower2 said:

I was just watching a cooking show and this guy was making a PBJ. I figured it was some kind of joke...but after making it, he buttered the outsides of the bread and sprinkled sugar on it and baked it. ugh! IMO he should have been arrested for food abuse. 

Don’t put me on that jury! The man is guilty, guilty, guilty!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators

Getting another foot of snow the next two days, enjoyed just shoveling 2-3" this morning.  Most of this will come at night so it'll be hard to keep up.  Hoping the power holds.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Gail 8588
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Getting another foot of snow the next two days, enjoyed just shoveling 2-3" this morning.  Most of this will come at night so it'll be hard to keep up.  Hoping the power holds.

Oh my Kay, I was hoping your massive snow storm was over.  Hoping their prediction of another foot of snow proves wrong and that you only get an inch or two.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Nope, already got that. And the snow came off the carport and landed in front of the building, have to keep the pipes/water tank and freezer room.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

My wisdom for the night: Keebler fudge stripe cookies totally kick ass. And incidentally go well with red wine as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

I was told that red wine and chocolate don’t mix, but I have had my share of cab with chocolate chip cookies, and semi-sweet dark chocolate.  Enjoyed every bit of it!

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

@widower2 Did you get your power back?

Got snowballed last night, it was crazy, 3 pm on, it started snowing snowballs!  By the time I made a pass on the 40' ramp, it'd be time to do it again!  I kept up until 6 pm and gave up, woke up to 6" more.  Fun.  I'll have to start when it gets light out.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2
6 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

I was told that red wine and chocolate don’t mix

What drunken fool told you that???

56 minutes ago, KayC said:

@widower2 Did you get your power back?

Got snowballed last night, it was crazy, 3 pm on, it started snowing snowballs!  By the time I made a pass on the 40' ramp, it'd be time to do it again!  I kept up until 6 pm and gave up, woke up to 6" more.  Fun.  I'll have to start when it gets light out.

Yikes - hope it's finally subsiding!

• Like 4

• Moderators

Try 8" more, I measured just before I started shoveling. Got done except still need to dig my car out, spent two hours shoveling and was done.  Got another inch. Got my trash out and another load of wood...when hoisting the wheelbarrow up the ledge it tipped over, all the wood spilled out.  No time to cry, got it put back in and with a lot of loud grunting (that helps) got it up to the house.  Took a shower and doing laundry...

2 hours ago, widower2 said:

Yikes - hope it's finally subsiding!

God I hope so, so done with this.  And if I hear one more person say this is a mild winter, I won't be responsible for what I might do!

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
Gail 8588
13 hours ago, KayC said:

Got snowballed last night, it was crazy, 3 pm on, it started snowing snowballs! 

The news is calling it a "biblical blizzard". 

Glad you are managing to get through it. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
widower2

:doing warm weather Indian dance for the West Coast: 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Tuesday woke up to 8" more, plus 2 more daytime. Got everything shoveled and some !@#$%&! shoveled other people's snow behind my car and in front of the mailbox where I'd just spent two hours hard at work (including my paths).  I was so mad!!  I spent 12 hours shoveling snow including the redo, but theirs was pack and tall.  Seriously I wouldn't have been responsible for what I would have done had I caught them!

Also walked down to feed the horse her apple but she was too cold to come out of the barn, I don't blame her.  Let Jazzy out when Iris was gone and walked back there again to do it.  Iris forgot my HWC and Kodie's hot dogs I'd asked her to get Monday. :(  Did her dishes again.  Took a shower and did laundry.  Made turkey soup and deboned it.  I've been eating OMAD this week and have seen great diabetic numbers but kind of miss eating two meals/day.  Although my energy can't be beat.  But am surprised I'm not still asleep.

46" in 8 days.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
foreverhis

Well, it's baking day and we've invited one of our friends to join us to make a Hummingbird Cake.  She found a recipe for it in a magazine and asked if we would include her in a baking day some time.  Of course we would, especially because she's Cosi's favorite auntie and one of our favorite people.

But it's absolutely blasting down rain with winds and possibly hail coming, so we'll see how the afternoon goes.  We begin in 15 minutes.  Fingers crossed (and not tempting fate) that we don't lose power or have another direct tornado warning.  We're under tornado caution right now, which is so...weird.  It's not something we usually have to worry about on the Pacific coast!

• Hugs 4

• Moderators

Wishing with you, Annie!

• Like 2

• Members
foreverhis
2 minutes ago, KayC said:

Wishing with you, Annie!

I would love that! 💗 Plus, you'd be out of your seemingly constant snow conditions and only have to deal with some wind and wet.

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin
11 hours ago, KayC said:

Tuesday woke up to 8" more, plus 2 more daytime. Got everything shoveled and some !@#$%&! shoveled other people's snow behind my car and in front of the mailbox where I'd just spent two hours hard at work (including my paths).  I was so mad!!  I spent 12 hours shoveling snow including the redo, but theirs was pack and tall.  Seriously I wouldn't have been responsible for what I would have done had I caught them!

Also walked down to feed the horse her apple but she was too cold to come out of the barn, I don't blame her.  Let Jazzy out when Iris was gone and walked back there again to do it.  Iris forgot my HWC and Kodie's hot dogs I'd asked her to get Monday. :(  Did her dishes again.  Took a shower and did laundry.  Made turkey soup and deboned it.  I've been eating OMAD this week and have seen great diabetic numbers but kind of miss eating two meals/day.  Although my energy can't be beat.  But am surprised I'm not still asleep.

46" in 8 days.

Wow!  I feel for you!  So much snow shoveling to do.  Do you use a manual shovel?  Also, you have a horse?? 😍

• Like 2

• Moderators
widower2
13 hours ago, KayC said:

And I would have happily provided an alibi. "No your honor it couldn't have been her, she was at my place." :)  I would have had so much steam coming out of my ears it just might've melted the snow! 

Wishing better weather days for y'all! 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2
7 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Well, it's baking day

...is something I said never. :)  I could count on one hand how many times I've used an oven in the last 10 yrs. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
widower2

OK let's get down to some serious food matters:

Pizza. Is any chain pizza worthwhile? IMHO the only passable chain pizza is Papa Johns. Not amazing, but respectable. Love that garlic sauce that comes with it too. 

• Like 3

• Members
Gail 8588

I also like Papa John's  thin crust pizza, though I rarely admit it to anyone.  People seem to only like non-chain specialty pizza places.  But they are very pricey!

• Like 3

• Moderators
14 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

Wow!  I feel for you!  So much snow shoveling to do.  Do you use a manual shovel?  Also, you have a horse?? 😍

No, it's a neighbor's horse.  I have a regular shovel and a small electric snow blower, no easy task when the snow is higher that where it goes in, you have to shove it inch my inch, tilting up to get it in and then tackles it lower, it takes forever, esp. when it's heavy/wet.  You have to be ever mindful of where the cable is too and it constantly comes unhooked.  I've pulled the prongs together but still, it comes out.  Harder than it looks!  I envy those with a riding gas powered one but then I'd have to maintain it...and I am not mechanical.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin
10 hours ago, KayC said:

No, it's a neighbor's horse.  I have a regular shovel and a small electric snow blower, no easy task when the snow is higher that where it goes in, you have to shove it inch my inch, tilting up to get it in and then tackles it lower, it takes forever, esp. when it's heavy/wet.  You have to be ever mindful of where the cable is too and it constantly comes unhooked.  I've pulled the prongs together but still, it comes out.  Harder than it looks!  I envy those with a riding gas powered one but then I'd have to maintain it...and I am not mechanical.

I'm the same - use a manual shovel.  We have a small, battery operated electric one too, but snow gets stuck in the shoot, and it's heavy (for me), so I abandoned that and just stuck with the manual snow shovel.  It's plastic, though, and it's peeling and wearing out in places.  I was wondering if I should invest in a new one.  There are ones that look like a sleigh, but people said that it gets heavy and I don't have much strength.  Then I wonder if ones with wheels would help.

• Like 3

• Moderators

My neighbor has a plastic one that is perfect, I have two: 1) plastic for shoving it (only works on small amounts) and 2) heavy metal one you have to hoist but I use it for the big stuff.  I've had 16 permanent hand injuries (including a botched surgery so I won't let anyone touch what's left of my hands) plus arm injuries and have under 10% strength so I'm in the same boat.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Members

I like Papa John's when I get to a hotel late . There is shop in a little village near my home and they have the best pizza of anywhere. I love pizza and have eaten it all over North America. My wife made a great pizza also and of course while she was here I could never admitted the above, favourite place or admitting to eating pizza late at night. She had some ideas that if we ate healthy we would live longer. I just might get pizza tonight.

• Like 4

• Moderators
widower2

Funny I was just talking to someone about how I can't eat pizza late, even a late dinner, or I don't sleep well at all. I don't know why.

And anyone who eats cold pizza keep it to yourself or I WILL eject you from the site. ;) 

• Haha 3

• Members
12 minutes ago, widower2 said:

Funny I was just talking to someone about how I can't eat pizza late, even a late dinner, or I don't sleep well at all. I don't know why.

And anyone who eats cold pizza keep it to yourself or I WILL eject you from the site. ;) 

Right?!  I HATE cold pizza!  Never could understand how people find it edible.  

While visiting my daughter in FL we went to a pizza place near by that was AMAZING!  I love trying different toppings and the two for the evening was a Mac and cheese with prosciutto and a chicken with crispy onions and balsamic glaze.  Both were so tasty!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2