Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Food, weather, and other completely mundane, trivial, meaningless topics

widower2

• Members
3 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I was determined not to become known as "the drunk widow who lives down the street."

You made me laugh...it is a fate i considered in the first time to turn off the hard pain!

3 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Once in a while a sweeter or dessert  or even Muscat is okay,

I love all the good wines , red or white...in Italy there is only the embarrasment of choice, 'cos for us a good wine is part of our food culture as one of life's intense pleasures...

But the sweeters are my preferite wines...with a tiramisu'a glass of Passito di Pantelleria or Moscato reconcile me with life!

As well as remember me wonderful moments with my love!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• KayC

• foreverhis

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
11 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I'm no longer up to using a mortar and pestle, though I did back in my younger years, so I use the food processor on pulse, gently.

Oh no, I have never used one. I use the blender, just keeping it fairly coarse, not liquefied. In the old days they didn't have electricity, never mind a blender so they had to use a mortar and pestle.

• Like 2

• Members

Corn on the cob

Strawberries( only in season, fresh picked, available here for only 2\3 weeks)

Prime rib roast cooked over hard wood coals ( takes 4 to 6 hours) 

Red wine, Most French, Italian but my favourite is Bulgarian if you can believe that, hard to get because all the wineries are small and usually don't export. The vines in that area are some of the oldest in the world and they have been making wine for thousands of years.

As usual this thread has made me hungry. Pasta anyone?

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'll pass on the pasta, but speaking of mortar and pestle, I still use one on Kodie's pills to mix into his food. I don't care how much they try to make them look like a dog treat, he knows better!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Members

As part of my training with every dog I use a food treat withholding exercise.

They can't hardly wait to get it and even when they smell the pill they can't stop themselves from gobbling it down.

I am the same with gummie bears, except I don't swallow them whole(usually)

• Like 4

• Moderators

I learned something today: Thai food, like pizza, is ONLY worthwhile freshly made. It doesn't keep for jack. I got some takeout but by the time I got home and put groceries away and reheated....ugh. Never again. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Hey, more than one use for mortar and pestle!  I still use mine.

Never had Pecorino but bet anything I'd love it!  My dad's own girl, I shared his love for cheese growing up and his cheese baskets from his boss, my sisters were never interested.  And having been in an Italian family for 23 years, loved everything Italian!  Still do.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

Hey, more than one use for mortar and pestle!  I still use mine.

Never had Pecorino but bet anything I'd love it!  My dad's own girl, I shared his love for cheese growing up and his cheese baskets from his boss, my sisters were never interested.  And having been in an Italian family for 23 years, loved everything Italian!  Still do.

Kay, you would love the Pecorino cheese. Mind you, there's different kinds depending on the area of Italy that they're made. And it's not cheap either, but you can buy small wedges of it.  At one time it wasn't so expensive, but now everything you buy is crazy expensive even the junk from supermarkets.

• Like 4

• Members

I thought I broke my coffee maker .  Barely awake, I poured the grounds into the part where water goes. That's not too good for the tubes inside I guess. It stopped working for a few days but eventually I ran enough vinegar rinses or something and it's going again. So 🙌 yay

• Hugs 4

• Members
On 12/7/2023 at 3:59 AM, KayC said:

Never had Pecorino but bet anything I'd love it! 

I'm sure you would.  Real Pecorino (not cow's milk "Romano") is delicious and generally pricey, but it's so flavorful that you don't need that much of it.  Of course, it’s the same with Reggiano and Grana Panado.  They're worth the splurge.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I found an easy way to have kind of a poor man's single-serve quiche...really it's the eggs without the crust, but works for me (and better for keto people :)  ). Just whip up some eggs like you would for scrambled eggs and add whatever you want (ham, cheese, veggies, seasoning, etc) and pour into a muffin pan. Voila, single-serve quiches. Put in fridge/freezer as appropriate and they're on hand for later. I plan to do about a dozen at a time and freeze most for later. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

We have something similar, could likely do in muffin tins as well:

Keto Spinach Quiche, crustless 

Ingredients

·        1 tablespoon butter

·        1 small onion (about 1/2 cup) finely diced

·        2 cloves garlic minced

·        4 large eggs

·        1 ¼ cups Heavy Cream

·        ¼ tsp spice of choice

·        ½ teaspoon sea salt (optional)

·        1 cup feta cheese (about 4 ounces) crumbled

·        1 10-ounce pkg.. frozen spinach defrosted, water squeezed out

Instructions

1.    Preheat oven to 325º Fahrenheit. Butter or grease a 9 inch pie dish.

2.    Heat a medium skillet over medium low heat. Add butter. When butter melts, stir in the onions. Cook onions until soft and translucent and just beginning to brown on the edges. Stir in garlic. Cook gently, while stirring until garlic is fragrant--about one minute. Remove pan from the heat and set aside.

3.    In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, spice, sea salt,  set aside.

4.    Transfer the onion and garlic mixture to the pie dish. Spread evenly.

5.    Sprinkle the feta cheese over the onion and garlic mixture.

6.    Evenly distribute the spinach over the feta cheese, breaking up any clumps
Give the egg mixture one more stir, then pour it over the ingredients in the pie dish.
Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes, or until the quiche is set and starting to brown on top.

6 servings, 4 net carbs
#recipe

https://simplysohealthy.com/crustless-spinach-quiche-low-carb-and-keto/

image.png.2563f9697b28ada17eff2dcec7fbc3ae.png

• Like 3

• Moderators

This is also real good, got it on a truck driver's site!

Keto Omelet in a Mug
Use Almond milk or HWC instead of regular milk.
I omit the onion (carbs) and substitute tomato slice chopped instead of bell pepper if out of it.
I use whatever meat I have, chopped.
(I have to microwave 2 min. 15 sec. with large eggs and 1200 watt microwave.)
#recipe
https://freightech.us/easy-meal-ideas-for-truck-drivers/
image.png.398122be4504161b6f314e48d81086c3.png

• Like 3

• Moderators

Okay, here's my favorite, you don't have to totally follow to the tee, you can improvise, I like using red bell pepper:

Keto Breakfast Egg Muffins

(One of my favorites!  I’ve made them in my air fryer, they turned out even better at 2/3 the time!)

Ingredients

BREAKFAST EGG MUFFINS - START WITH THIS BASE FOR ALL FLAVORS FIRST:

·        10 large eggs

·        1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste (used 1)

·        1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste (used ¼)

Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese:

·        1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (used Watkins Bacon/Cheddar Seasoning for dip)

·        1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

·        1 1/2 cups broccoli, steamed and chopped (used bell pepper, bacon, onion, tomato)

·        2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus more for topping

Buffalo Chicken:

·        1/3 cup Buffalo Sauce (I used Frank's)

·        1/3 cup chopped green onions

·        1 cup chopped cooked (or rotisserie) chicken

Ham and Cheddar Cheese:

·        1/2 teaspoon onion powder

·        1/2 teaspoon dried mustard or Dijon Mustard (optional)

·        2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese plus more for topping

·        3/4 cup chopped cooked or deli ham

Kimchi:

·        1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

·        1/3 cup finely chopped kimchi

·        1/4 cup diced red peppers

·        1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon (optional)

Jalapeño Popper:

·        1/2 teaspoon onion powder

·        3-4 jalapeño peppers de-seeded and chopped, plus round slices for topping (if desired)

·        1/3 cup softened cream cheese

·        1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

·        1/3 cup cooked crumbled bacon

Bacon, Mushrooms and Spinach

·        1 cup chopped spinach

·        1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (white button or cremini)

·        3 strips cooked and crumbled bacon , use Whole30 compliant bacon as needed

Spinach and Cheese:

·        1/2 teaspoon dried basil

·        2 cups chopped spinach

·        1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping

Sun-Dried Tomato, Parmesan and Spinach:

·        1/3 - 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes soaked in very warm water until tender and chopped (discard soaking water)

·        3/4 cup chopped spinach

·        1/4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil

·        1 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus more for topping

Healthy Egg Muffins with Tomato & Spinach

·        3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning

·        1 cup diced ripe tomatoes

·        1 cup chopped spinach

·        Optional: Feel free to add 3/4 cup grated Parmesan if not Paleo / Whole30 or Dairy Free

Instructions

START WITH THIS BASE RECIPE FOR ALL BREAKFAST EGG MUFFINS:

1.    Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a 12 count muffin pan with silicone liners or coat with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large 4 cup measuring cup or mixing bowl, crack in eggs and whisk together with salt and black pepper.

(SEE BELOW TO ADJUST FOR DIFFERENT FLAVORS OR LEAVE AS IS FOR PLAIN)

Divide evenly into muffin tins filling each about 2/3 full. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until set.

Broccoli and Cheddar:

1.    Whisk in garlic powder and thyme until combined. Stir in broccoli and cheddar. Divide evenly into muffin tins filling each about 2/3 full.

Sprinkle with more cheddar if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until set.

Buffalo Chicken

1.    Whisk in garlic powder and buffalo sauce until combined. Stir in green onions. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Use a spoon to evenly distribute chicken into muffin cups (about 2-3 tablespoons each). Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until set. Serve with a drizzle of buffalo sauce if desired.

Ham and Cheddar:

1.    Whisk in garlic powder and onion powder until combined. Stir in ham and cheddar cheese. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Top with more ham and cheese if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until set.

Kimchi:

1.    Whisk in sesame oil until combined. Stir in kimchi, cheese, and bacon (if using). Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Top with more chopped kimchi & bacon if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until set.

Jalapeño Popper:

1.    Whisk in garlic powder, onion powder, and cream cheese until combined. Stir in cheddar cheese, chopped jalapeño and bacon. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Place 1 round jalapeño slice on top in each muffin cup, if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-17 minutes, or until set.

Mushroom, Green Pepper and Spinach :

1.    Whisk in Italian seasoning until combined. Stir in mushrooms, peppers, and spinach (Add sausage if using). Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until set.

Spinach and Cheese

1.    Whisk in garlic powder and basil until combined. Stir in spinach and cheese. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Sprinkle with more cheese if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until set.

Sun-Dried Tomato, Parmesan and Spinach

1.    Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, basil, and cheese. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Sprinkle with more cheese if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until set.

Healthy Egg Muffins with Tomato & Spinach

1.    Whisk in garlic powder and Italian seasonings until combined. Stir in tomatoes and spinach. You can add cheese here if using. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Sprinkle with more cheese if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until set.

1 carb

https://lifemadesweeter.com/breakfast-egg-muffins/

#recipe
image.png.3fa3f675224390a7f3bf4695ddadb92a.png

• Like 3

• Moderators

Got hungry...made the first one in the egg muffins and used red bell pepper and sausage cut up, also garlic with the watkins seasoning.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Okay, made one batch in the air fryer, took as long to get done as the oven and didn't rise as much.  Definitely vote oven although it takes forever to heat up!  But hey, can leave the oven door afterwards and use up some of the heat in the house...only 30 in here!

• Like 4

• Moderators

I need to steer the topic away from food and that's Kay's fault ;)   Wine. Any fans? Any particular fav types of wine? I like all types but tend to drink more red simply because they tend to be less sweet and I have high blood sugar. I will say I need to get the amount under control; that's been a thing since my loss, but it's almost impossible to get to sleep otherwise. I have been surprised to find that on occasion you can now find a boxed wine which isn't bad; they've really improved since the olden days when "boxed wine" equated to "nasty cheap rot gut." And it's both economically smart and convenient, as the airtight container ensures it lasts longer. Still, I like going to Total Wine (a national chain) and trying new things. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Iris gets something called Butter Chardonnay at Albertson's, I looked at Winco, none there, so many wines I am clueless...

• Like 1

• Members
18 hours ago, KayC said:

But hey, can leave the oven door afterwards and use up some of the heat in the house...only 30 in here!

only 30 in here,  huh??

I buy frozen egg rolls and make a tiny bit of Chinese hot mustard using powder from Amazon;  it's super super HOT (I use about a 1/2 tsp. of powder, about 1/4 tsp. of vinegar, 1/4 tsp. of water, mix in the bottom of a double shot glass.   This bag of powder is going to last for many years:

Amazon.com : Frontier Co-op Mustard (Hot) 1lb : Mustard Spices And Herbs : Grocery & Gourmet Food

easy to microwave an egg roll for 1 minute, wait 1 minute, and they have veggies in them.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, KayC said:

Iris gets something called Butter Chardonnay at Albertson's, I looked at Winco, none there, so many wines I am clueless...

I'd say it's time for research ;)  

• Like 3

• Members
On 12/3/2023 at 11:17 PM, widower2 said:

Yes. Generally  I think Gewurztraminer and Rieslings are sweeter, although there are dryer styles. tbh I've never known a "very dry" variety of either though.

There are several (maybe many by now) made in a dry to bone-dry style in CA and Oregon.  Washington still seems to be more focused on the off dry to sweeter styles.  If you ever find it, I suggest you try Claiborne & Churchill Dry Gewürztraminer and Dry Riesling.  Those are their flagship Alsatian whites.  They sometimes make a Dry Muscat and most years produce a lovely Dry Pinot Gris.  They're fruit forward, but without the sometimes cloying sweetness.  Their noble grape blend is slightly different each vintage, of course, but always a crowd pleaser.

They produce two styles of Chardonnay.  One unoaked and one perfectly balanced somewhat buttery with a bit of oak.  For me, it's their Chardonnay-White noble blend that's truly special.

Their flagship red is a range of Pinot Noirs.  The grapes grow well in our AVA.  The past 10-15 years, their Grenache and Grenache-Syrah have been family and friend favorites too. 

They just celebrated their 40th Anniversary, which coincided with my and John's 40th Anniversary, so there were plenty of emotions in our family when the celebratory Pinot Noir and sparkling Brut were released.

Here's the Butter Chardonnay link, which may have sourcing listed:

https://jamcellars.com/product/butter-chardonnay/

One of my friends really likes it, but it's a bit buttery for my taste.  Our Grocery Outlet sometimes has it for a great price.

• Like 3

• Members
On 12/10/2023 at 2:33 PM, foreverhis said:

Here's the Butter Chardonnay link, which may have sourcing listed:

https://jamcellars.com/product/butter-chardonnay/

One of my friends really likes it, but it's a bit buttery for my taste.  Our Grocery Outlet sometimes has it for a great price.

My new daughter-in-law likes this Butter Chardonnay.  I know nothing about wine but I try to have a bottle of this in the fridge when they are visiting. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I don't like Chards, but can tolerate it if it's not oaky and esp if it's buttery. Ironically, the last Chard I really liked was ol "Two Buck Chucks." Lately I've found some affordable yet good Bordeaux's at Total Wine.

• Like 3

• Members

I gotta remember that.

That line about real men not eating quiche is from a Steve Martin movie but I can't remember which one. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I got myself something for the holidays I haven't had in forever: Baileys Irish Cream (actually it's not Baileys but a diff brand...Baileys is so expensive). Party on Wayne. 

• Like 4

• Members

I cut a couple Pak Choy plants growing out in the tiny greenhouse, washed and chopped 'em, sliced a carrot into thin strips with my kitchen thin-slicing tool, fried up ... onions, carrot strips, and the fresh Pak Choy, took a cup of mixed ramen noodles with chicken flavoring and a few peas and corn kernels, added boiling water ... mixed that in ... delicious.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
15 hours ago, widower2 said:

I got myself something for the holidays I haven't had in forever: Baileys Irish Cream (actually it's not Baileys but a diff brand...Baileys is so expensive). Party on Wayne. 

This column doesn't feel so mundane right now because it reminds me of the fun times that Tom and I had concocting our own Baileys using an online recipe. We were like two excited kids experimenting with an old blender and figuring out how much whisky vs the other ingredients worked best. Our conclusion seemed to always be that more whisky made it better. The big catch with the recipe is that it calls for instant coffee (blech!) but luckily, we nabbed a small container of it from Tom's brother. I did do calculations and figured that one bottle of whisky pretty well makes two bottles of Baileys!

https://www.averiecooks.com/homemade-baileys-irish-cream/

• Like 4

• Moderators

Interesting! I could make it Keto if I had the whiskey and the coffee, I have a recipe for Sweetened Cond. Milk SF Choc. Syrup, Half & Half (amond milk and HWC)

• Like 4

• Moderators

Oh man you guys. I had some the other night. Too much. Woke up going "ohhh don't do that again..." It just was so good! 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Love this!
image.png.e4a739a8e23b2596c804173577cd22d5.png

Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet

Ingredients

• 1 1/4 cups almond flour
  • 3/4 cups shredded coconut or more almond flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup butter softened (or coconut oil)
  • 2/3 cup Swerve Brown
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 ounces sugar-free chocolate chips

Instructions

1.    Preheat the oven to 325F and lightly grease a 10-inch oven-proof .

2.    In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut, baking soda and salt.

3.    In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Beat in the sweetener until well combined.

4.    Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Beat in the almond flour mixture until well combined, then stir in the chocolate chips.

5.    Spread the dough in the prepared skillet and bake 20 to 25 minutes, until light golden brown. The cookie will be very soft and puffed when removed from oven (it won't seem cooked through).

6.    Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. When warm, it will not come out in proper pieces so you will need scoop it out to serve onto plates. It will continue to firm up as it cools so if you want to serve it in pieces, let it cool completely before cutting. I recommend it warm for extra gooey-ness!

10 servings, 2.9 net carbs each
#recipe

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/wprm_print/28598

My pan is 9" but it did fine, baked it 25 min, should have taken it out at 20 I think.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Yes I can.  2.9 carbs per slice, I stay under 20/day, usually closer to ten.  You can't assume because something looks and tastes good it isn't good for you.  What hurts is root vegetables, pasta, sugar, white flour, grains, milk, most fruits.

• Like 3

• Moderators

ah yknow what, I missed the sugar-free parts :) I have my sugar-free chocolate lined up for the holiday too!

• Like 3

• Moderators

They actually make a Keto for people who need to gain weight.  How to gain weight on low-carb or keto - Diet Doctor

The flavor is amazing, I have recipes for nearly everything!  I'm sorry eating isn't enjoyable for you.  I hate to see T2 on insulin as it increases insulin resistence, worsening their diabetes in the long run.  Yes, a lot of things can bring T2 on, including Covid.  :(   Natural herbs like bittersweet melon?  I take berberine and ACV.  I'm sorry you've gone through so much.

• Like 4