Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Food, weather, and other completely mundane, trivial, meaningless topics

widower2

• Moderators

I found this total kick butt sauce in the clearance section of the grocery store last time out that I like so much I'm going back to (hopefully) buy the rest out. In fact I found it online (but it was on sale at the grocery store for a buck 35!):  
https://thewsauce.com/products/bear-burtons-breakfast-sauce

I don't know why it's called "breakfast sauce"...it's a general sauce which could be used for many things. It has a heat I love because it doesn't knock you out, but it lingers with a nice peppery flavor, slightly sweet.

• Like 4

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• KayC

• foreverhis

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Gail 8588

Made right here in Florida.  I'll  have to give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation Widower2.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 1/24/2024 at 8:17 PM, widower2 said:

And I specifically suggest staying as far away as possible from GE ("Hotpoint" is GE, btw). Complete junk.

So sad because 46 1/2 years ago this place was outfitted with all GE appliances.  My ovens and stove top still work, never had a heating element go out.  My refrigerator lasted about 35 years...how I wish I'd had it repaired instead of replacing it with the Kenmore Junk that lasted five years and now another five years.  The dishwasher didn't last long though and my son eventually replaced it with a Frigidaire.

It didn't come with washer and dryer so we had Kenmores put in, the dryer is still original and was worked on once.  I wish I'd had my last washer worked on instead of replaced, the new ones beat your laundry to death and you can't see where it is in the process.  Also takes a full load of water even for a small load.  Maybe it came with a bad sensor, who knows.  More cost to get someone out than it's worth.

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 1/24/2024 at 8:25 PM, Griefsucks810 said:

Omg varmints can get in through the wall vent?

You can put a screen on the outside so they can't get in and then remove it to clean now and then.  I used to have that issue with mice.  I also placed an electronic mouse trap on the other end, inside the house.  It's amazing to me how small a space they can get through!

• Like 2

• Members

My Maytag microwave died a week before I left for Florida.  It’s the type that is over the stove so it has the vent around it as well so it’s not an easy replacement for me.  At least I don’t think.  I’ll have to watch some YouTube videos and see if I can install a new one by myself.  I’m just so irritated by it all.  Not only do I not want to spend money on a new microwave but I feel like it should have lasted longer than 13 years.  I mean the thing was doing crazy stuff like continuing to run after the door was open, sparking in the vents and cooking when it appeared the unit was totally shut down and broken… I could hear the food sizzling and cracking…

I unplugged the microwave before I flew out to Florida but maybe I should have flipped the breaker as well.  Stupid thing will probably explode while I’m gone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, KayC said:

So sad because 46 1/2 years ago this place was outfitted with all GE appliances.  My ovens and stove top still work, never had a heating element go out.  My refrigerator lasted about 35 years...how I wish I'd had it repaired instead of replacing it with the Kenmore Junk that lasted five years and now another five years.  The dishwasher didn't last long though and my son eventually replaced it with a Frigidaire.

It didn't come with washer and dryer so we had Kenmores put in, the dryer is still original and was worked on once.  I wish I'd had my last washer worked on instead of replaced, the new ones beat your laundry to death and you can't see where it is in the process.  Also takes a full load of water even for a small load.  Maybe it came with a bad sensor, who knows.  More cost to get someone out than it's worth.

Wow, I guess they were great back when and went downhill. Or I had a REALLY bad streak of luck with them...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis
15 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

@foreverhis

Hope you are not being blown or washed away. These "atmospheric rivers" are pretty awful. Not something I remember being talked about when I was a kid.

These rivers are new to us and getting worse over the last few years. This is “only” our second this season. So far Cosi and I and all our friends and family are safe. Cosi’s Catmother who lives 2-1/2 blocks down the street may end up with us tonight because her neighbor’s tree had a branch break off and get blown right onto her brand new roof! Same tree that had a huge split that took out the mutual fence last January. She can’t assess the damage until tomorrow.

I posted a status report in the “Positives” thread and will check in tonight or earlier if we get power back. Hugs to everyone.🤗

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, widower2 said:

Wow, I guess they were great back when and went downhill. Or I had a REALLY bad streak of luck with them...

No I think they made things well back then, I think they're making everything disposable now.

3 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I posted a status report in the “Positives” thread and will check in tonight or earlier if we get power back.

When  ours is out we can't use anything, cellphones or phones or anything.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

? Why can't you use a cell phone?

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, widower2 said:

I found this total kick butt sauce in the clearance section of the grocery store last time out that I like so much I'm going back to (hopefully) buy the rest out. In fact I found it online (but it was on sale at the grocery store for a buck 35!):  
https://thewsauce.com/products/bear-burtons-breakfast-sauce

I don't know why it's called "breakfast sauce"...it's a general sauce which could be used for many things. It has a heat I love because it doesn't knock you out, but it lingers with a nice peppery flavor, slightly sweet.

Went back and bought two more. :) Actually one of the same and another they make called "Breakfast Sauce 2" - it is billed as a "verde" version of the first one. I almost bought a third bottle, but I thought wait, it'll take awhile just to use one up and they don't last forever. Just a shame it won't be carried around here anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, widower2 said:

? Why can't you use a cell phone?

When Spectrum was down nothing worked, we couldn't go out of town because of their historical ice storm that shut the towns down.  Tower was out.  No texting most of the time, no wifi, no landline, no internet.

And apparently no credit.

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Back to meaningless food talk...

I don't know how it is where you are, but here for some reason there's no such thing as decent quality, moderately priced hot dog rolls. About the only good ones are $4-5 each which IMO is a lot for such a thing...but I've tried cheaper ones like wonderbread's and the store brands, which are about half that much, and they suck. And I use these a lot (oddly, almost never for hot dogs). 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Mostly what I'd use sausage rolls for (they're too big for my taste), like sausages :) or sandwiches. I don't buy a loaf of bread often because it takes too long to use up. 

• Like 3

• Members
Gail 8588

I use them for meatball sandwiches.  I buy a small tray of  6 meatballs in marinara sauce from the deli in my grocery store.  I cut the meatballs in half, spoon into a hot dog bun, spoon on the sauce to cover them, shake on oregano, and  top with mozzarella  cheese. Pop under the broiler so the cheese is all melty.  Delicious!   I get 4 sandwiches from the 6 meatballs.

• Like 3

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
6 hours ago, widower2 said:

Back to meaningless food talk...

Have you tried Kings Hawaiian rolls?  My son has used those for brats and they are pretty good.  Better than the standard Wonder Hot Dog buns.  

• Like 3

• Moderators

Appreciate the idea, but they're too high in saturated fat and sugar for me (probably pricey too, though I haven't looked recently). They do taste good though :)  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin
10 hours ago, widower2 said:

I don't buy a loaf of bread often because it takes too long to use up. 

I freeze bread - doubled bagged.  Let thaw at room temperature.  They remain quite fresh, unless you leave them in there for months, then they start to taste the freezer.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Keto Sub Rolls
Ingredients

·       4 ounces Almond Flour

·       ½ cup Golden Flax Meal

·       ¼ cup Psyllium Husk Powder

·       2 teaspoons Baking Powder

·       ½ teaspoon Salt

·       4 large Egg Whites

·       2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar

·       1 cup Water room temperature

Instructions

1.    Preheat your oven to 175C/350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2.    In a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well. Set aside.

3.    Add the egg white to a large mixing bowl and beat with your hand mixer until foamy.

4.    Add the vinegar and water and continue mixing.

5.    While continuously mixing, pour ½ a cup of the dry ingredients into the bowl, followed by the rest.

6.    Stop the mixer as soon as it comes together and give a quick stir with a spatula.

7.    Leave to sit for about 5 minutes so that the dry ingredients can soak up the liquids.

8.    Once the dough feels firmer and sticky, spoon out onto a piece of parchment and shape into a thick rectangle.

9.    Cut into 4 evenly sized rectangles and place onto your prepared cookie sheet.

10.                   Gently round the edges and cut 3 deep slices in the tops of each bun.

11.                   Bake for 20-25 minutes until the buns are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the base.

12.                   Leave to cool completely before slicing (if sliced hot they will deflate).
image.png.da19773810b5e9589f9758a7797af39f.png

2 net carbs
#recipe
https://www.myketokitchen.com/keto-recipes/keto-sub-rolls/?fbclid=IwAR08ff-nqplx7epkEdkSmGLGkHFuWAOxlOmneMAUhN4tYsczaDO4MnQX4kU

• Like 3

• Members

I love a meatball sub. When I am feeling ambitious I will make them from scratch and use them for subs, spaghetti sauce or mix with sausage and peppers over rice. They freeze well when pre-cooked.

Time for lunch.

• Like 3

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, shawnt said:

I love a meatball sub. When I am feeling ambitious I will make them from scratch and use them for subs, spaghetti sauce or mix with sausage and peppers over rice. They freeze well when pre-cooked.

Time for lunch.

That's another thing I use the hot dog rolls for. I'm too lazy to make meatballs though! 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
3 hours ago, widower2 said:

buffalo wing sauce

Have to try that.  Better if it’s not too vinegary.  Bet it goes good on scrambled eggs,

• Like 4

• Moderators

Been up since 1:45, after laying there for two hours.  Did laundry, fed the animals and let Kodie out, loaded the fire, put heat on in the water tank/pipes room (it's 24 here) and made a large pot of soup!

Keto Dump Soup

Chop bratwurst, bacon (or chicken), vegetables, to beef or chicken broth in Dutch oven, half full of water.  Bring to high, turn off and cover, leave for an hour, then cool and store. I don’t measure the water but about half pan full with 4 tsp bouillon, ½ tsp sea salt.  *Optional: Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

I call this dump soup because it’s whatever I have on hand!

Dash pepper & ½ tsp. sea salt,  in small saucepan mix ingredients, add chopped mushrooms, tomatoes, bok choy, cauliflower, celery, cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, spinach, red bell pepper, bring to boil, simmer covered on low an hour. Turn off to let cool if making ahead.

* Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 c. HWC
Xanthan Gum to thicken
1 ½ T. Butter
1 tsp chicken bouillon
½ tsp sea salt

Dash pepper in small saucepan mix ingredients, add chopped mushrooms, bring to boil, simmer on low a couple of minutes.

Can use Broccoli or celery instead of mushrooms.
#recipe

image.png.5f52a175ccba48711c7d3272cdd986c6.png

• Like 4

• Members

Thanks @Gail 8588 for the restaurant recommendations in St Augustine.  Smokin’ D’s was a big hit!  What delicious BBQ!  We knew just walking up by the smell we were gonna love it.  We tried the brisket, pork and turkey.  All so good!  Our favorite sauce is the datil barbecue sauce even tho we tried the Texas and Memphis as well.  My daughter found a spice rub of the datil pepper at the local farmers market and makes a chicken dish with it so we knew we’d love the bbq sauce.  Luckily, I found the rub at the Ace Hardware of all places so I have my own bottle to take home.  It’s the perfect amount of heat for me, not too much but with great flavor!  Thanks again!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I think that Datil pepper is the key ingredient in the sauces I bought the other day. Never heard of it. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 2/13/2024 at 3:11 AM, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Have to try that.  Better if it’s not too vinegary.  Bet it goes good on scrambled eggs,

Interesting idea...I'll have to get some eggs and try! 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Knock on wood but it looks like we're going to escape this winter with mostly mild weather. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

That's what I'm hoping too.  40 degrees this morning.  They underpredicted the cold yesterday by 13 degrees though so who knows.

I can't believe the burst of energy I had yesterday and all I did, started early am until 6 pm!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

That is great Kay....you're like the anti-me, I haven't done jack lately! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

OK you had me feeling guilty so I did a little :) Not too much...cleaned out the pantry, swifter-ed the kitchen floor, and shook out the front porch rug. I need to do laundry, but I need to save some fun for tomorrow

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

I'm taking it easier today. Made the worst brownies of my life!  Do others eat their flops too because they don't want to waste them?  Or is it just me?

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I'm a huge throwing-out-food-is-a-sin kinda guy, so it it would have to be really bad for me to just throw out (and even then I'd probably just throw it in the wooded part of my back yard). 

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin
1 hour ago, KayC said:

I'm taking it easier today. Made the worst brownies of my life!  Do others eat their flops too because they don't want to waste them?  Or is it just me?

Not just you.  Although it really depends.  If it's badly burnt, then ya, toss.  If it's so bad that I feel like gagging when I try to eat it, then ya, toss.  Otherwise, no way would I waste it!

• Like 4

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

It's not just wasting money in a modest budget, though that factors in too, it's that food is a precious resource that we should not take for granted. 

Bingo, exactly. I never got the "millions of kids starving in Africa" parental speech, but my attitude is as if I had, because there is truth to it...countless people who would jump for joy at getting things that people across this country thoughtlessly toss away, and it steams me to no end. When I was in the Air Force early on, I like most low-ranking guys was on a "meal card" where you go to the chow hall, show your card, and get whatever you want. There were these mindless slugs who would get a full tray of food, take like two bites, and walk out. If I was in charge they wouldn't have left that chow hall until it was ALL consumed. I so wanted to smack them silly. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
11 hours ago, widower2 said:

I'm a huge throwing-out-food-is-a-sin kinda guy, so it it would have to be really bad for me to just throw out (and even then I'd probably just throw it in the wooded part of my back yard). 

Except with so much chocolate in it, it'd make animals sick.

It's not like it'll make me sick, just I won't enjoy it like I would if they'd turned out better.  I'll probably eat them but won't make them again.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yeah, I didn't mean that per se, but food in general. I don't bake, at least not sweets! It's a more exact science than cooking.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Can anyone tell me what it is with beauticians (or whatever barbers are called now) that they seemingly never stay at a job for more than about a year if that? It seems when I find someone I like, before you know it "oh she doesn't work here anymore..." 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Choose the owner. I just   got back from getting mine cut!  Been with her for years now. In the last 47 years I've had three not counting the one time I had my husband's XW do it...NOT a good idea!  I went back to the clinic I worked at with a scalded scalp!  (Yes, on purpose)

• Sad 3

• Members
Gail 8588

Widower2,

In salons, usually there is one person who owns the building, or is the leasee, and who owns the business name. The other staff work for the owner. Those folks come and go, always looking for a shop that will let them keep more of the money they earn or that has better benefits, like health insurance  or paid sick leave.  The owner is the person who remains constant, year after year. 

Your choice is to identify the owner and see how she does cutting your hair, or ask around and find out where your stylist moved to.  Good luck. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

ah OK thanks. I usually go to chain places like Hair Cuttery so I wonder if they are even involved in the day/day business...

• Like 3