• widower2

• KayC

• foreverhis

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Boggled
On 3/12/2024 at 9:01 AM, Roxeanne said:

Anyway our pizza with our spicy salame is called "la diavola"(she-devil)...only spicy salame tomatoes and mozzarella....it may resemble pepperoni ?

but not the same.  Looked up ... who invented pepperoni ... after looking for a recipe, came up with:

"Italian Innovation

"Although it looks the part, pepperoni isn’t a traditional type of Italian cured sausage. Rather, it was invented by Italians who came to the United States in the early 20th century. In 1919, the pepperoni sausage first appeared in Lower Manhattan, New York City. It was developed by Italian immigrants who added paprika and a mix of other chili-pepper-based spice to dry salami (traditionally called “salsiccia,” “soppressata,” or “salame” in Italy). In addition to its signature flavor, the spices helped give the sausage its red color, along with the nitrates traditionally used in Italian cured meats. "

Pepperoni: A Brief History | Rosati's Pizz Franchise (rosatisfranchising.com)

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin

It snowed here, and the forecast says more to come.  Had weeks of spring weather, and now cold winds and snow. 😑

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Sounds like here...our forecast moving towards that, just hoping I can make my son's 40th bdy party, three hours from here, Sunday.

• Hugs 3

• Members
HisMunchkin
6 minutes ago, KayC said:

Sounds like here...our forecast moving towards that, just hoping I can make my son's 40th bdy party, three hours from here, Sunday.

Drive carefully!!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I don't drive in the snow anymore, have front wheel drive not AWD and at my age...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
widower2

Yikes. Best of luck with the weather! It's chillier here than last week but can't complain, still good weather for March.

• Like 4

• Members
Boggled
4 hours ago, Roxeanne said:

I suspected it! Like "meatballs" invented by italians immigrants in Usa...they were creative!🤣

what?  meatballs aren't from Italy?   😮‍💨  either!?    

I like pepperoni for its flavor, but it has a lot of fat in it ... right now I'm back at vegetarianism, with an emphasis on RAW veggies, I shift around diet-wise.  

• Like 3

• Members
Roxeanne

5 hours ago, Boggled said:

meatballs aren't from Italy?   😮‍💨  either!?

There's something similar in the South Italy... mostly Italians immigrants came from South Italy!

And it's a recipe from Italians Americans! 

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin
12 hours ago, Roxeanne said:

I suspected it! Like "meatballs" invented by italians immigrants in Usa...they were creative!🤣

7 hours ago, Boggled said:

what?  meatballs aren't from Italy?   😮‍💨  either!?   

I got curious and googled.  According to this: https://www.escoffieronline.com/a-history-of-spaghetti-and-meatballs/

Many sources say the first meatball was made in ancient Persia, but this is debated by food scholars. Nevertheless, these meatballs, called kofta, caught on and inspired new recipes as the Persians traded with neighboring countries and exchanged goods and knowledge. Meatballs were probably introduced to regions throughout the Middle East before making their way to Italy centuries ago.

In Italy, meatballs are most often a stand-alone dish. Called polpettes, Italian meatballs are often served sauceless and are much smaller than the meatballs you’re probably used to.

Traditional Italian meatballs typically contain equal portions of meat and soaked bread, and other additions such as egg and vegetables. They may be made with beef, lamb, turkey, or even fish, depending on what meat is available. Regions of Italy use their local ingredients, and polpettes can look very different from one region to another.

Italian American cuisine is responsible for creating the spaghetti and meatball preparation we all know and love today.

Italian immigrants brought the concept of meatballs with them to America, but adapted this recipe to meet their budgets. This dish was probably invented by Italians that came to America between 1880 and 1920, when millions of Italians left Italy in search of freedom and land.

They desired diets rich in meat, after discovering that meat in America was relatively inexpensive. They made meatballs using affordable ground beef and indulged in larger portion sizes than they had had back home.

To bulk up their meals further, they added a generous helping of pasta topped with a sauce made of canned tomatoes. These ingredients, canned tomatoes and dried pasta, were cheap to purchase and easy to cook with. The dish we call spaghetti and meatballs was born of a combination of inventiveness and resourcefulness!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

Read about this in yesterday’s food section of the newspaper; lasagna soup.  All the standard ingredients but as a soup.  Sounds really tasty.  

https://www.cookingclassy.com/lasagna-soup/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators

I bet it'd be yummy soup!  My favorite soup is this one:

image.png.324b604c207b0fdf82d517cc8ea77281.png

Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup

Ingredients

·        5 slices of bacon

·        2 pounds ground beef

·        1/2 cup onion, chopped

·        1 tablespoon garlic, minced

·        1 (15 ounce) diced canned tomatoes, drained

·        2 teaspoons garlic powder

·        2 teaspoons onion powder

·        1 teaspoon salt

·        1 teaspoon pepper

·        1 teaspoon paprika

·        1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

·        1 (32 ounce carton) Beef broth

·        3 tablespoons tomato paste

·        2 teaspoon mustard

·        1 (8 ounce container) Cream cheese

·        1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Instructions

1.    Heat a large sauce pan or dutch oven over medium heat. Lightly spray with cooking spray.

2.    Cook the chopped bacon until crisp and remove from the skillet and set aside.

3.    Drain off all of the bacon grease except 1 tablespoon. Add the ground beef, onion and garlic. Brown the meat and drain off any grease.

4.    Add the tomato paste, mustard, broth, drained canned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and spices, stir well and bring to a simmer.

5.    Allow the soup to simmer, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes. 

6.    Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and cooked bacon

7.    Serve when the cheese is melted.

8 servings 1 ½ cups each, 5.9 net carbs
#recipe
https://thebestketorecipes.com/bacon-cheeseburger-soup-keto-low-carb/

• Like 4

• Members
Boggled
15 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

Many sources say the first meatball was made in ancient Persia, but this is debated by food scholars. Nevertheless, these meatballs, called kofta, caught on and inspired new recipes as the Persians traded with neighboring countries and exchanged goods and knowledge. Meatballs were probably introduced to regions throughout the Middle East before making their way to Italy centuries ago.

The internet is wonderful in a lot of ways.  This got me wondering, what ever happened to ancient Persia, anyway?  oh.  Alexander the Great.  That had me reading/internetting for hours.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

On another site there was talk of whether or not there's any good frozen pizza. I tried many in my younger days and the only one that was acceptable was much later when DiGirgnio's came out. But being just me now I don't even get that anymore...so I only have it maybe once a year if that out with others.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I make Dr Berg's pizza, <2 carbs/slice, you would all run  me off, but it's the easiest pizza I've ever made and so good!

Pizza-Dr Berg

Ingredients

·        2 cups finely grated cauliflower

·        2 cups shaved mozzarella cheese, plus extra for topping

·        2 large eggs

·        Tomato sauce Rao’s low carb

·        Pizza toppings of your choice

Instructions                      

1.      Pre-heat oven to 450°F. Cut parchment paper to match the size and shape of your pizza pan. Using parchment paper is the best way to prevent your crust from sticking to the baking surface.

2.      Use food processor to “grate” the cauliflower until evenly “riced.”

3.      Mix together cauliflower, mozzarella cheese, and two eggs until well-combined. At this point, it may not look like it could possibly turn into pizza crust, but it will bake to a thin, crunchy, flexible crust–just watch!

4.      Place the cauliflower mixture at the center of the parchment paper on the pizza pan. Spread the mixture thinly but evenly throughout up to the edges of the pan.

5.      Bake crust at 450°F for 15 minutes.

6.      Assemble the rest of your toppings. Place ½ cup of low carb marinara sauce at the center of your crust and spread it out nearly to the edge.

7.      Top the food with mozzarella cheese, followed by mushrooms, spinach, olives, Italian dry salami, mozzarella & cheddar, and after baked, add fresh tomato slices.

8.       Return it to the oven and bake until the cheese is evenly melted and just beginning to turn golden on the surface.
<2 carbs/slice

#recipe

https://www.drberg.com/keto-recipes/cauliflower-crust

image.png.cdea52f675f7902b4374c23ad7c95bed.png

image.png.d5ba287a7defe9f6d1b5f22c856224f2.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
widower2

I don't doubt it's good Kay, but I have my daily gluten requirements to think of ;)  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

No such thing as a gluten requirement!  But my fasting blood sugar is under 100 and that's good enough for me!

One thing I don't have a sense of humor about is grief, the other is diabetes.  It killed my husband, doing what they told him to do, he had just turned 51.  Five years later I was diagnosed and I grew sicker and sicker for 11 years doing what my doctor said...until finally I took matters into my own hands.  I'd listened to my son and a friend for a year and decided to give it a try, and am so glad I did!  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

There is for me. I always order pizza with extra gluten!

• Like 1

• Members
Sparky1
2 hours ago, foreverhis said:

including using Italian 00 flour.

Bless you for using the proper flour 😂 I've tried type 00 flour from Italy, okay it was bought at Walmart so obviously it's not good Italian flour, and I don't like it. So I tried Robin Hood type 00 flour, made in Canada,  and wow, the pizza is amazing. The dough is soft and airy and I do use a pizza stone, but like you said, the oven does not properly get hot enough. I have even tried type 0 from Italy, the real thing, and it wasn't as good as the Robin Hood one. When you don't have a proper wood burning oven, forget it, you can only hope to come close to that at home.

• Like 2

• Moderators

And I, my friend, have a gluten intolerance.  Lucky you and the others here!  If it were just up to mere tastes alone, but alas it isn't.

• Like 1

• Members
foreverhis
2 hours ago, KayC said:

I make Dr Berg's pizza, <2 carbs/slice, you would all run  me off, but it's the easiest pizza I've ever made and so good!

Not me, Kay.  I say you should eat what is healthy for your diet and what you enjoy.  It's kind of like when my mom would say, "I bet you think I have terrible taste in wine," because she liked White Zinfandel and Sweet Orange Muscat.  Now, I wouldn't drink those ever, but I'd say, "Mom, you know my feeling about wine:  Drink what you like.  Besides, your preferences are usually less expensive than mine, so your budget is happier too."

1 hour ago, Sparky1 said:

Bless you for using the proper flour 😂 I've tried type 00 flour from Italy, okay it was bought at Walmart so obviously it's not good Italian flour, and I don't like it. So I tried Robin Hood type 00 flour, made in Canada,  and wow, the pizza is amazing.

It's absolutely worth it, IMO.  I am currently using a bag of organic 00 imported from Italy.  It makes such a difference.  My baking partner and I decided to make our soft breadsticks using it.  They are always wonderful, but the 00 made them light, fluffy, and just perfect for dipping.

1 hour ago, Sparky1 said:

When you don't have a proper wood burning oven, forget it, you can only hope to come close to that at home.

Indeed.  I was at the hardware store a few days ago and all the grills, etc. are on display for the season.  They have a portable wood fire pizza oven available...for $2000!  Even if I made pizza often, my budget would laugh in my face if I even considered it.🤣

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

2 hours ago, KayC said:

And I, my friend, have a gluten intolerance.  Lucky you and the others here!  If it were just up to mere tastes alone, but alas it isn't.

I know, just teasing. It's great that you've found so many ways to bake/cook around it though. You eat better than I do!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin
3 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

So I tried Robin Hood type 00 flour, made in Canada,  and wow, the pizza is amazing. The dough is soft and airy and I do use a pizza stone, but like you said, the oven does not properly get hot enough. I have even tried type 0 from Italy, the real thing, and it wasn't as good as the Robin Hood one.

Hey, thanks for mentioning that.  I just looked at my online grocery store and they have it... on sale too!!  Going to try it.  So excited!! 😁

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis

@HisMunchkin  You won't be sorry.  And you'll never be able to settle for anything less. 

• Like 3

• Members
WithoutHer

I should probably put this in our positive for the day category but it's a lengthy explanation, food related, and I can imagine Kay's thoughts grumbling reading what I'm about to write so here it stays. 

I've written before how eating is a chore for me because my taste has been all screwed up for some time. Almost all my calories are a liquid source supplement with protein, various vitamins and with a bunch of glucose for calories.

Fortunately when I was put on insulin, because my sugar levels were off the charts when I had my appendix removed, I was also put on a constant carb diet. I was to have at least 55 grams of carbs and anything else I cared to include and the insulin. So I've learned how to control my sugar levels with insulin. 

I reached a time where my A1C was a constant 5.6 year after year and began changing my diet around and verying my carb intake and was doing well with it until about a year and a half ago, before Vickie passed, when I started experiencing taste problems again like I had with radiation and chemo just not that horrible zero taste extreme.

Now it's kinda of going in and out so for months I've been experimenting with forcing myself to eat one meal a day of something different for dinner.

Tonight I tried a Tomato and sweet basil soup and it actually tasted the way I imagined it should. It was also over 400 calories. Now I'm wishing I could tolerate bread, which I can't, not any kind of dough even pizza crust.

Because a grilled cheese would have gone perfect with that soup. 

I'm going to keep at it because I want some General Tso's chicken so bad. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
widower2

Keep trying - better days may be ahead! 

• Like 4

• Members
WithoutHer
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

Keep trying - better days may be ahead! 

Thanks I will. One good thing is I have always been able to tolerate peanut butter even through the terrible radiation chemo days. It's been a good go to for those tough days calories fall short. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I'm sorry it's so hard for you, someone on my other grief site has to eat opposite of me, she can't tolerate anything but carbs her system is really tough.  I am thankful I have something healthy that works for me.  Thoughts and prayers for you!

• Like 3

• Moderators

I was in an Italian family with my kids' dad for 23 years, I can relate! :D  But I loved his family, just him and I...no.

• Hugs 4

• Members
Sparky1
8 hours ago, Roxeanne said:

The reaction of Italians😂

😂😂😂 I was waiting for the guy to use some nice Italian swear words but he was nice to keep it clean. 🤣 Thanks Roxi 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
widower2

What's not great is doing taxes. :wacko2: A friend of mine's father had been doing mine for years in exchange for home computer support when needed, but he passed on, so I'm doing it myself for the first time in a long time. omg I HATE this so much. Even though my taxes are pretty straightforward, one thing hasn't changed: the ability of the govt to make something as convoluted as possible. I hate the idea of paying someone to do it (whatever modest rebate I get if any would probably be sucked up), but I'm this close.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
5 hours ago, widower2 said:

I hate the idea of paying someone to do it

I have an appointment this coming Thursday for taxes.  I will pay for the service mainly because I don’t know how my “change in status” is going to affect my taxes.  Perhaps I will start doing my own next year.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, widower2 said:

I hate the idea of paying someone to do it (whatever modest rebate I get if any would probably be sucked up), but I'm this close.

To me it's worth it to get it done, plus they ususually find stuff that somehow our programs don't.

• Like 3

• Members

There is some great software packages(Intuit) that can make it easier.

Question for KayC. I am planning a meal and one of the guest can not have gluten, if I use corn starch or bisto to thicken gravy will that cause a problem or should I use a rice based thickener?

• Like 3

• Moderators

Neither if they are diabetic, I'd use guar gum.  If they aren't diabetic or on Keto then it wouldn't hurt, you can always check ingredients for gluten, but keep in mind if it's a tiny amount it may be so far down on the list the USDA does not require it in the listing.  However, with so many being allergic to it I think they would include it.  But a while back a young gal died from a peanut allergy because they didn't include it on the ingredients.
I found this warning: 

Bisto Best is made on equipment which is also used for products containing wheat flour. Although there are controls in place to reduce the risk of cross contamination, Premier Foods cannot remove the risk of gluten contamination completely.

Cornstarch is a fine, white powder processed from the endosperm of corn. The endosperm is the nutrient-rich tissue inside the grain. Corn is a gluten-free grain, and no other ingredients are typically required to make cornstarch. As a result, pure cornstarch — which contains 100% cornstarch — is naturally gluten-free.

• Like 2

• Members

Thanks. As usual I knew you would have the answer I needed.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis

@shawnt If gluten is the issue, but carbs are okay, arrowroot powder is an excellent thickener. Bob’s Red Mill and others are certified GF. My sister has celiac disease (diagnosed as an adult), so I have been learning. Look for one of the certification symbols like this:

image.jpeg.28b1e3bb7a020903c14763b1e2888508.jpeg

Here is a good resource for various symbols and gluten ppm ratings:

Gluten free certification process and symbols

• Like 4

• Moderators
widower2

We might hit 80 tomorrow. :)  Bring it on and nuts to you winter! 

• Like 2

• Moderators

When I went to buy a wine I discovered how out of it I am, I have not a clue what to buy or if you can get something at the grocery store!  Iris likes Butter Chardonay and I like it too.  I remember I used to like a dry white wine, not big on sweet or as huge a fan on reds except to cook with.  Have to watch it with my Diabetes.  To those who says it doesn't raise their BS, that's because your body makes insulin to lower it and that in turn increased your insulin resistance, not the desired effect.  However, to enjoy once in a while (if you're not alcoholic which you don't want imbibing at all!) I don't see the problem...problem is if you're diabetic and do this nighly.

• Like 2

• Members
HisMunchkin

It's windy and rainy here today.  Forecast says snow on Thursday - gah!!

KayC - have you heard of emla, a.k.a Indian Gooseberries for lowering blood sugar levels?

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1