Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Food, weather, and other completely mundane, trivial, meaningless topics

widower2

• Members

Sooo…eggs…I went down this rabbit hole last year after I visited the restaurant “egg slut” in LA.  I  fell in love with their coddled eggs and tried to recreate it at home.  This dish, although delicious was too much work in my opinion for the results (unless I had left over mashed potatoes).  I did more research and found the French “version” as shirred eggs.  Basically baked eggs where there is no water bath.  Much less work!  There are so many variations to make this a delicious little breakfast!  This is a meal you would bake to order but it is so worth it.  I love it too because I make mine low carb.

the baked eggs above call for a tablespoon of cream on top.  That is for one egg in a ramekin.  When I make scrambled eggs on the stove top I’ve always used milk but lately I’ve been using sour cream or crème and I’ve like the results with that better.  I’ve watched many a cooking show and chefs use different things. I’ve even seen water and tried that and it was disgusting.   Mostly what it’s for is to create steam in the eggs for a fluffier consistency.  I guess I like the sour cream for the extra flavor and often it melds with the bacon and mushrooms I put in my eggs.

• Like 3

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• KayC

• foreverhis

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
foreverhis

Hi widower2. Do you mean spongy like lots of bubbles or spongy like soggy or tough with liquid separated?

Suggestions: Don’t whip the eggs too much. You will start to separate the proteins from the fat and liquid. Just whisk until smooth.

Tap-tap-tap the pan gently on the counter to make bubbles rise to the surface and break before baking.

Bake at a lower temperature because you’re essentially making a form of custard, especially if you have added milk or cream. Eggs are fussy and need to be coddled and cooked gently when baked. Don’t over bake.

If you added any ingredients that are wet, such as spinach, drain or wring or dry them as much as possible because the extra liquid will affect the egg mixture. Always precook add ins except herbs.

Hope this helps. If it’s any comfort, things like this happen to even experienced cooks and chefs.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Dr Google says this:
Science has a good explanation for this. Eggs are made up of water, protein, and fat. When the eggs are cooked (or scrambled) the proteins start to combine and form a spongy texture that traps moisture.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Then why aren't they like that when fried in a pan :)  FH, spongey as in what a sponge feels like when it's wet. I'd almost say "tough" in a way. I was thinking maybe I over-cooked them a little, but I noticed that the middle part wasn't cooking as much as the outer part, so I left in a little longer. I'll try cooking less next time and see what happens. I don't like my eggs really "wet" but not really dry either. 

I think I have my weekend project...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

I was thinking maybe I over-cooked them a little, but I noticed that the middle part wasn't cooking as much as the outer part, so I left in a little longer.

I'm right there with you on not liking "wet" eggs.  Blech!  Our daughter loves to do the French-style scramble, but John and I couldn't stomach the wet curds.  We're "fluffy folds" people. 

What you were seeing is exactly how egg custard looks when it's baking.  It does sound like you slightly overcooked them.  I've done it too.  In general, you want to remove them from the oven when the very center still looks just a little "underdone," but a knife inserted should come out clean.  The center will finish cooking and setting from the residual heat like meat does when we take it out to rest.

There are multiple reasons it doesn't happen with fried eggs.  You're cracking the egg out of the shell without disturbing the yolk fats or the white proteins and liquids.  Scrambling, as well as heat and acid, unravels proteins so they start to denature as the bonds break.  As the liquid separates out, the proteins tighten (hence, tough steak if you overcook it).  Another reason is that fried eggs cook too fast for the proteins to have a chance to literally fall apart.  (This is probably far more than you wanted to know, but I am a bit of a chemistry and physics nerd and love learning food science.)

• Like 4

• Moderators

I see that; I confess I only got so far and went "uhhh...k" ;) Again I don't like "wet" eggs (we got them that way in basic training only because they were focused on the minimum acceptable time to cook them), but not bone dry either. Just a little wet-ish. Anyway, thanks, I'll def cook for less this time and see what happens.

• Like 4

• Members
13 hours ago, widower2 said:

I was thinking maybe I over-cooked them a little, but I noticed that the middle part wasn't cooking as much as the outer part, so I left in a little longer. I'll try cooking less next time and see what happens.

Widower2, you are becoming a cook.  That's what being a cook is about, seems to me, seeing what works, thinking about it ... trying something else, trying over and over till you got it just so!   Now if I could just become a mechanic.  hunh.

Reading on the "positive" thread about people with sciatica, I made gummies with this recipe, but besides the gelatin (also good for bones, btw) at the same time as adding the gelatin, I add about 1-1/2 tablespoons of collagen powder (good for joints and tendons, if you search).  I don't bother with a candy mold, (too much hassle!) just pour it into a shallow bowl, once it's set in the fridge, I slice it into strips.   Rather than strawberries, I've started simmering some goji berries in a little water, then mash 'em and use that instead, really any fruit'll do.  well we shall see if "adding a file" works ... I tried .. below.

GUMMIES - strawberry cream.rtf

• Like 3

• Members

Hey @shawnt, how was Cuba?  I’ve always wanted to go there, I’ve heard it’s beautiful.

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 12/9/2023 at 5:47 AM, KayC said:

Okay, here's my favorite, you don't have to totally follow to the tee, you can improvise, I like using red bell pepper:

Keto Breakfast Egg Muffins

(One of my favorites!  I’ve made them in my air fryer, they turned out even better at 2/3 the time!)

Ingredients

BREAKFAST EGG MUFFINS - START WITH THIS BASE FOR ALL FLAVORS FIRST:

·        10 large eggs

·        1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste (used 1)

·        1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste (used ¼)

Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese:

·        1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (used Watkins Bacon/Cheddar Seasoning for dip)

·        1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

·        1 1/2 cups broccoli, steamed and chopped (used bell pepper, bacon, onion, tomato)

·        2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus more for topping

Buffalo Chicken:

·        1/3 cup Buffalo Sauce (I used Frank's)

·        1/3 cup chopped green onions

·        1 cup chopped cooked (or rotisserie) chicken

Ham and Cheddar Cheese:

·        1/2 teaspoon onion powder

·        1/2 teaspoon dried mustard or Dijon Mustard (optional)

·        2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese plus more for topping

·        3/4 cup chopped cooked or deli ham

Kimchi:

·        1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

·        1/3 cup finely chopped kimchi

·        1/4 cup diced red peppers

·        1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon (optional)

Jalapeño Popper:

·        1/2 teaspoon onion powder

·        3-4 jalapeño peppers de-seeded and chopped, plus round slices for topping (if desired)

·        1/3 cup softened cream cheese

·        1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

·        1/3 cup cooked crumbled bacon

Bacon, Mushrooms and Spinach

·        1 cup chopped spinach

·        1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (white button or cremini)

·        3 strips cooked and crumbled bacon , use Whole30 compliant bacon as needed

Spinach and Cheese:

·        1/2 teaspoon dried basil

·        2 cups chopped spinach

·        1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping

Sun-Dried Tomato, Parmesan and Spinach:

·        1/3 - 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes soaked in very warm water until tender and chopped (discard soaking water)

·        3/4 cup chopped spinach

·        1/4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil

·        1 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus more for topping

Healthy Egg Muffins with Tomato & Spinach

·        3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning

·        1 cup diced ripe tomatoes

·        1 cup chopped spinach

·        Optional: Feel free to add 3/4 cup grated Parmesan if not Paleo / Whole30 or Dairy Free

Instructions

START WITH THIS BASE RECIPE FOR ALL BREAKFAST EGG MUFFINS:

1.    Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a 12 count muffin pan with silicone liners or coat with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large 4 cup measuring cup or mixing bowl, crack in eggs and whisk together with salt and black pepper.

(SEE BELOW TO ADJUST FOR DIFFERENT FLAVORS OR LEAVE AS IS FOR PLAIN)

Divide evenly into muffin tins filling each about 2/3 full. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until set.

Broccoli and Cheddar:

1.    Whisk in garlic powder and thyme until combined. Stir in broccoli and cheddar. Divide evenly into muffin tins filling each about 2/3 full.

Sprinkle with more cheddar if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until set.

Buffalo Chicken

1.    Whisk in garlic powder and buffalo sauce until combined. Stir in green onions. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Use a spoon to evenly distribute chicken into muffin cups (about 2-3 tablespoons each). Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until set. Serve with a drizzle of buffalo sauce if desired.

Ham and Cheddar:

1.    Whisk in garlic powder and onion powder until combined. Stir in ham and cheddar cheese. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Top with more ham and cheese if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until set.

Kimchi:

1.    Whisk in sesame oil until combined. Stir in kimchi, cheese, and bacon (if using). Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Top with more chopped kimchi & bacon if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until set.

Jalapeño Popper:

1.    Whisk in garlic powder, onion powder, and cream cheese until combined. Stir in cheddar cheese, chopped jalapeño and bacon. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Place 1 round jalapeño slice on top in each muffin cup, if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-17 minutes, or until set.

Mushroom, Green Pepper and Spinach :

1.    Whisk in Italian seasoning until combined. Stir in mushrooms, peppers, and spinach (Add sausage if using). Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until set.

Spinach and Cheese

1.    Whisk in garlic powder and basil until combined. Stir in spinach and cheese. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Sprinkle with more cheese if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until set.

Sun-Dried Tomato, Parmesan and Spinach

1.    Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, basil, and cheese. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Sprinkle with more cheese if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until set.

Healthy Egg Muffins with Tomato & Spinach

1.    Whisk in garlic powder and Italian seasonings until combined. Stir in tomatoes and spinach. You can add cheese here if using. Divide evenly into muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.

Sprinkle with more cheese if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until set.

1 carb

https://lifemadesweeter.com/breakfast-egg-muffins/

#recipe
image.png.3fa3f675224390a7f3bf4695ddadb92a.png

Totally my favorite, last time I did half in the oven, half in the air fryer.  I preferred the texture of the air fryer by far even though it didn't raise as much as the oven.  Will make them that way from now on.

On 12/9/2023 at 5:44 AM, KayC said:

This is also real good, got it on a truck driver's site!

Keto Omelet in a Mug
Use Almond milk or HWC instead of regular milk.
I omit the onion (carbs) and substitute tomato slice chopped instead of bell pepper if out of it.
I use whatever meat I have, chopped.
(I have to microwave 2 min. 15 sec. with large eggs and 1200 watt microwave.)
#recipe
https://freightech.us/easy-meal-ideas-for-truck-drivers/
image.png.398122be4504161b6f314e48d81086c3.png

This one is also a favorite!  Love it!  May make tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
15 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I had of course read about people saying they even miss the small annoying habits or quirks. That’s certainly true for me.

Yes, that!  Veronica would tell me I am scrambling the eggs for breakfast “too much”.  I started thinking they are either scrambled or not.  That “scrambled too much” just did not register with me.  But she did appreciate me making her scrambled eggs in any case.

In the last few years she was uncomfortable riding in my truck.  Stiff 3/4 ton suspension jostled her and she felt it more after she developed back and shoulder issues after falling in the house a couple of times.  But she would ride with a couple of pillows to comfort her.  I miss her frustrations and her complaints.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/19/2024 at 8:37 PM, DotPark said:

Remembering how my dear husband would still tell me, after 15 years together, how he liked his eggs cooked. TOM, I KNOW! (He liked wet eggs and I always did them right.) 

My husband like sunny side up eggs and I couldn’t get it right cuz the egg yolk would break when I attempted to flip the egg to cook on the other side

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 1/21/2024 at 2:34 AM, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Yes, that!  Veronica would tell me I am scrambling the eggs for breakfast “too much”.

I feel the same way as Veronica;  when scrambling eggs, I'd let some butter melt in the pan on medium heat, then put in the eggs and let them set until the whites were about 1/3 cooked, then add milk, let the milk heat, then mix them up to cook the rest of the way.  For some reason they tasted better that way.   To me.  iirc.   

• Like 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/19/2024 at 9:08 PM, widower2 said:

Funny the little things we remember. I was terrible about cleaning out the lint filter in the dryer and she would get on me and go on and on about how she heard not doing that can start a fire, etc etc. And oddly, now I clean it after every use. I can see her going "oh sure NOW you do it"

My husband was the same exact way; he was anal about cleaning out the lint filter cuz he hated lint being on his clothes

• Like 3

• Moderators

I had a SIL who had a house fire because they never cleaned out the lint screen...bet she does now!  This always stuck with me.

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/18/2024 at 11:29 PM, widower2 said:

I see that; I confess I only got so far and went "uhhh...k" ;) Again I don't like "wet" eggs (we got them that way in basic training only because they were focused on the minimum acceptable time to cook them), but not bone dry either. Just a little wet-ish. Anyway, thanks, I'll def cook for less this time and see what happens.

I like scrambled eggs only; the egg can have a lil bit of wet to it; I add finely chopped tomatoes, mushrooms and shredded mozzarella cheese into my scrambled egg mixture- delicious :)

• Like 3

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, KayC said:

I had a SIL who had a house fire because they never cleaned out the lint screen...bet she does now!  This always stuck with me.

That's exactly the speech/warning I got! "You're going to set this house on fire..."

• Like 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
40 minutes ago, KayC said:

It took for your SIL to have a house fire and she now cleans the lint screen -glad no one got injured from the house fire. 

• Like 3

• Members
foreverhis
8 hours ago, Boggled said:

I feel the same way as Veronica;  when scrambling eggs, I'd let some butter melt in the pan on medium heat, then put in the eggs and let them set until the whites were about 1/3 cooked, then add milk, let the milk heat, then mix them up to cook the rest of the way.  For some reason they tasted better that way.   To me.  iirc.   

Many years ago, a friend served up some truly excellent scrambled eggs.  We always bought fresh eggs and didn't mess with them too much, but these were a step above even those.  The texture was perfect, not too dry or too wet.  The eggs were the main taste, but there was something enhancing them.  John asked what she'd done differently.  She said, "Oh, we had some of the Boursin shallot and chive cheese leftover from last night, so I decided to stir it in."  They were simply perfect.

We never added milk or anything except salt and pepper; we did melt a bit of butter in the pan.  And from that day onward, we tried to keep a little Boursin (preferred, but pricey when not on sale) or other soft herb-garlic-shallot type cheese in the fridge or freezer for eggs.  Absolutely wonderful.

• Like 3

• Members
foreverhis
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Yikes!  John always cleaned the lint filter between loads and we cleaned the exterior vent often.  Now I do it.  I have a healthy respect for "things that could burn down my home."

• Like 3

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

cleaned the exterior vent often. 

uh oh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Members
foreverhis
19 minutes ago, widower2 said:

uh oh.

Our exterior vent is fairly high on the wall so we have to use a diverter. Lint collects over time. I don’t know if that is the case with standard venting that is lower.

The most important thing is to clean the lint filter every time so that less lint has a chance to sneak through to the ducting and exterior vent.

• Like 3

• Moderators

All makes sense....I meant I haven't checked the exterior vent......well.....ever. :) 

• Like 3

• Members
foreverhis

The only reason I ever check the exterior outlet for the vent is that John showed me how the little flap that is supposed to be closed when the dryer isn't on gets "caked" with bits of lint over time (months) and won't close all the way.  He used a vent brush that works pretty well.

I rather doubt that most newer vent outlets have that problem.  This one is pretty old.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Well the house hasn't caught fire (knock on wood) and the dryer seems to work fine, so I'm probably OK, I just never thought of it. Heck I don't even know where the stupid thing comes out of the house lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
9 hours ago, KayC said:

I had a SIL who had a house fire because they never cleaned out the lint screen...bet she does now! 

That was one item of training that stuck with me.  In submarines, the dryer lint filter had to be checked and cleaned before and after using the dryer to avoid the possibility of a fire.  Veronica seemed to settle into that concept, being a submarine sailor’s wife, and she got on the kids when they started doing their own laundry.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, foreverhis said:

we cleaned the exterior vent often.

Mine vents outside the house, it comes out the vent door, I can easily reach in and clean it.  Not as much comes out the outside as the lint screen on the dryer.

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin

Um... can someone tell me how to clean the exterior dryer vent, please?  😶

• Like 2

• Moderators

I just reach my hand up in there with a cloth and get it out.  

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin

Thanks for letting me know!  What about the tube?  Does that need to be cleaned?  I don't think my arm can reach through that long tube, though.

• Like 2

• Moderators

You can remove it if you are certain you can put it back but I don't.  Mine isn't blocked so not an issue.  Biggest issues in them is if they get a hole, and duct tape is good at fixing that until you can get another tube.

You can tell I've been on my own too long! :D

Once a year is enough for the outside vents.  Not much in them, not like the dryer vents.  I do that every load.  Mine broke and you should see the lash up I've got on it!   Over 46 years old and still works!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin

11 minutes ago, KayC said:

You can remove it if you are certain you can put it back but I don't.  Mine isn't blocked so not an issue.  Biggest issues in them is if they get a hole, and duct tape is good at fixing that until you can get another tube.

Once a year is enough for the outside vents.  Not much in them, not like the dryer vents.  I do that every load.  Mine broke and you should see the lash up I've got on it!   Over 46 years old and still works!

They don't make washer dryers like they used to.  These days, nothing seems to last.

I clean out the lint tray after every load, so hopefully there aren't any build up in the exterior vent.  Will go check a little later.  Ours is weird (... um not "ours" anymore... forgot), it's a tube thing that sticks upward a bit in the backyard.  Not a vent directly in the wall, if that makes any sense...  Oh, found a picture!  Looks like this: https://www.positive-energy.com/product/heartland-sidewall-vent/

• Like 2

• Members
Gail 8588

His munchkin, 

I liked that site you linked to. That outside vent cover is way fancier than mine.  I also liked their other products, like the chimney balloon.  I think I need that one. 

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
1 hour ago, KayC said:

I clean out the lint pan from the dryer every time. 

• Like 4

• Members
foreverhis
1 hour ago, HisMunchkin said:

They don't make washer dryers like they used to.  These days, nothing seems to last.

I clean out the lint tray after every load, so hopefully there aren't any build up in the exterior vent. 

It's likely that there won't be much in the venting because you clean the lint filter every time.  I have a dryer/lint brush that I bend into the best shape for our setup.  I manually open the exterior flap, slip the brush in (gently so as not to displace the vent tube or connection), pull it out, and vacuum any lint off the brush.  I do this every 6 months or so because our through-the-wall vent end is old and slightly bent on the side.  Plus the way the flap is set, it encourages lint to collect around the top inside.  A couple of times over the years, I've taken the handheld cordless vacuum, attached the crevice tool with a plastic tube shoved into the end, and snaked the tube in as far a possible.

But really it's cleaning the lint filter every single time, no exceptions, that helps prevent the need for frequent vent clearing.  You can also slip a dryer vent brush into the lint filter housing from time to time to get any errant bits of lint.  Just don't shove it in too far or it can damage the internal dryer fins (according to the appliance repair guys I trust).  I do that about once a month, which also helps keep the exterior vent ducting clear.

This is the type, though not the exact model, of dryer vent brush John used and that I now use.

Long dryer vent brush

I've considered picking up these types, as well.  These are just examples.  I have no idea which brands are best and would have to research.

Round end, long flexible vent brush (probably great for clearing the exterior venting)

Dryer vent vacuum attachment

(Sheesh, I sound like an ad for dryer safety.)

19 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

His munchkin, 

I liked that site you linked to. That outside vent cover is way fancier than mine.  I also liked their other products, like the chimney balloon.  I think I need that one. 

Me too.  I may have to break down sometime and have the through-the-wall vent end replaced.  I'd love one that was easier to access for cleaning and that was grilled to help prevent varmints from getting in.

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin
2 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

His munchkin, 

Chimney balloon?

2 hours ago, foreverhis said:

It's likely that there won't be much in the venting because you clean the lint filter every time.  I have a dryer/lint brush that I bend into the best shape for our setup.  I manually open the exterior flap, slip the brush in (gently so as not to displace the vent tube or connection), pull it out, and vacuum any lint off the brush.  I do this every 6 months or so because our through-the-wall vent end is old and slightly bent on the side.  Plus the way the flap is set, it encourages lint to collect around the top inside.  A couple of times over the years, I've taken the handheld cordless vacuum, attached the crevice tool with a plastic tube shoved into the end, and snaked the tube in as far a possible.

But really it's cleaning the lint filter every single time, no exceptions, that helps prevent the need for frequent vent clearing.  You can also slip a dryer vent brush into the lint filter housing from time to time to get any errant bits of lint.  Just don't shove it in too far or it can damage the internal dryer fins (according to the appliance repair guys I trust).  I do that about once a month, which also helps keep the exterior vent ducting clear.

This is the type, though not the exact model, of dryer vent brush John used and that I now use.

Long dryer vent brush

I've considered picking up these types, as well.  These are just examples.  I have no idea which brands are best and would have to research.

Round end, long flexible vent brush (probably great for clearing the exterior venting)

Lol.  Thanks for all the links!  I actually have a long brush like that, but it wouldn't fit into the lint trap. (?)  Maybe I'll try the vacuum. 

• Like 4

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/23/2024 at 6:14 AM, KayC said:

Mine vents outside the house, it comes out the vent door, I can easily reach in and clean it.  Not as much comes out the outside as the lint screen on the dryer.

I don’t know if my landlord cleans the white exterior vent door.  As far as the lint screen on the dryers, I clean off the lint before I put my clothes in the dryer and after I’m done using the dryer.  Sometimes I have to clean off a full layer of lint from the lint screen because the person before me didn’t bother to clean off the lint screen after their clothes were dry. 

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
1 hour ago, HisMunchkin said:

Chimney balloon?

Lol.  Thanks for all the links!  I actually have a long brush like that, but it wouldn't fit into the lint trap. (?)  Maybe I'll try the vacuum. 

You are very knowledgeable as to how you properly clean your dryer and the lint trap with the gadgets you have.  This is why you’ll have your dryer for many years to come. 

• Like 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
3 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Long dryer vent brush

Me too.  I may have to break down sometime and have the through-the-wall vent end replaced.  I'd love one that was easier to access for cleaning and that was grilled to help prevent varmints from getting in.

Omg varmints can get in through the wall vent?  Didn’t know that. I live in an apartment building on the 2nd floor and I had a few mice enter my bedroom thru the corner of my wall this past September.  Luckily I haven’t had any mice since. 

• Like 3

• Members
Gail 8588

@HisMunchkin

In that first link, I scrolled down to 'Other stuff you might want to buy' and it had a Chimney Balloon apparently to control drafts in your home. 

I have an old fireplace that I have never used, and am unlikely to ever use. But I do get drafts on windy days. Also I get a fair amount of street noise from my chimney. So this item apparently is something you put up in your chimney, then inflate it, sealing off the chimney, thus eliminating drafts. I expect it would also reduce noise.  No permanent  installation. Sounds like it could be good.  It was pretty inexpensive. So might be worth a try. 

I know a person who bought a old house, spent gobs of money restoring it and filling it with beautiful period furniture and rugs etc. Then a big hurricane came, and though it did no structural damage to the house, the 3 chimneys were wind tunnels blowing tons of soot and crud out of the chimneys into the beautifully decorated rooms.  There was over $100,000 in damage just from the soot.  Bet they wish they had Chimney Balloons. 

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin
16 hours ago, Griefsucks810 said:

Omg varmints can get in through the wall vent?  Didn’t know that. I live in an apartment building on the 2nd floor and I had a few mice enter my bedroom thru the corner of my wall this past September.  Luckily I haven’t had any mice since. 

EEK!!! 

5 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

@HisMunchkin

In that first link, I scrolled down to 'Other stuff you might want to buy' and it had a Chimney Balloon apparently to control drafts in your home. 

I have an old fireplace that I have never used, and am unlikely to ever use. But I do get drafts on windy days. Also I get a fair amount of street noise from my chimney. So this item apparently is something you put up in your chimney, then inflate it, sealing off the chimney, thus eliminating drafts. I expect it would also reduce noise.  No permanent  installation. Sounds like it could be good.  It was pretty inexpensive. So might be worth a try. 

I know a person who bought a old house, spent gobs of money restoring it and filling it with beautiful period furniture and rugs etc. Then a big hurricane came, and though it did no structural damage to the house, the 3 chimneys were wind tunnels blowing tons of soot and crud out of the chimneys into the beautifully decorated rooms.  There was over $100,000 in damage just from the soot.  Bet they wish they had Chimney Balloons. 

That chimney balloon sounds neat.  And oh no, that poor guy/girl. 😲

• Like 2

• Members
foreverhis
17 hours ago, Griefsucks810 said:

Only if the vent flap/closure isn't all the way down.  The one HisMunchkin linked is actually quite awesome because it has a low pressure spring loaded seal and benefits from gravity.  Ours is the typical kind that goes sideways with a a flap seal under a little hood.  I really don't like it, but as long as it works, I'll keep maintaining it.

• Like 4

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/25/2024 at 10:21 AM, Gail 8588 said:

@HisMunchkin

Omg $100,000 in damage?  Hope they had a very good homeowners policy.

• Like 1

• Members

18 hour bread.  Just mix flour, a little salt, a teensy bit of yeast (saves on cost of yeast), and water.

I put the bowl in the oven with the oven light on, keeps it warm enough to rise for 18 hours.  I usually figure start up about 6:00 pm, which puts it ready to shape and rise at 12:00 pm the next noon.

No-Knead Bread | The Bittman Project

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Gail 8588

@foreverhis

Hope you are not being blown or washed away. These "atmospheric rivers" are pretty awful. Not something I remember being talked about when I was a kid.

• Like 2