Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Food, weather, and other completely mundane, trivial, meaningless topics

widower2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

KayC - have you heard of emla, a.k.a Indian Gooseberries for lowering blood sugar levels?

Nope!  I take Berberine. ACV, some others.

• Like 4

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• KayC

• foreverhis

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
widower2
1 hour ago, Gail 8588 said:

Who is planning on checking out the North American Solar Eclipse on April 8th?

I'd like to, but it's too late to find the special glasses etc.

• Like 3

• Members
foreverhis
14 hours ago, KayC said:

To those who says it doesn't raise their BS, that's because your body makes insulin to lower it and that in turn increased your insulin resistance, not the desired effect.

That's what we were taught when our internist sent us to "school" when John got his borderline diabetes diagnosis.  An occasional glass of dry wine or cocktail made without or with limited sweet ingredients is okay (as you say, as long as someone isn't an alcoholic), but not daily consumption.

2 hours ago, widower2 said:

Well I asked for it, it ended up being somewhat cooler and rainy. Happy now? pffft

Well shoot!  I didn't want to take your good weather away.  I just wanted some for myself.  Bummer.

• Like 3

• Members
foreverhis
1 hour ago, Gail 8588 said:

Who is planning on checking out the North American Solar Eclipse on April 8th?

Several friends and neighbors are traveling to see it.  Four friends, including Raleigh's mom, were in Utah last year and only 2 hours away from the 100% path at the time of the annular eclipse, so they drove to it.  Three of them are traveling to this one.  It's really the last feasible one in our lifetime.  If I'm still alive and able to travel in 2045 (I'd be 87), I would go to that one because northern California will be in the path of totality.

We had 80% coverage here for the October annular.  I was able to snag Celestron full frame glasses, simple camera filters, and basic solar-safe binoculars at the last minute.  Four of us had a little eclipse breakfast party.  We woke to fog (oh no!), but it completely cleared by 8 am (phew).  We had scouted out whose house had the best view.  Very cool indeed to watch as the sun became a mere sliver while the light dimmed.  This time, it's only 40%, so we sent all the good stuff with Raleigh's mom and only kept the cardboard frame pairs that came with my Celestron "share with friends" kit.

50 minutes ago, widower2 said:

I'd like to, but it's too late to find the special glasses etc.

You could contact Celestron directly.  If they're out of stock, as they probably will be, you can check with one of their authorized dealers.  That's what I did and received what I ordered from a little astronomy store in Colorado in only 3 days.

Depending on how much coverage you'll have where you live, it might be worth the effort. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
widower2
46 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

Well shoot!  I didn't want to take your good weather away.  I just wanted some for myself.  Bummer.

Yeahyeahyeah  ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Members
Roxeanne

I would be excited if the solar eclipse would be visible in Europe and in Italy...but no!

The last one i remember was 11 August 1999 and was partial...my parents were alive, but both old and sick! The funny thing was that my father explained to my mother the mechanism of the eclipse with the bottles of water and wine...😂

Meanwhile outside the light darkened!

After few months i would met Giorgio...

In ancient times eclipses were believed a sign of Gods's anger and bad luck! 

I couldn't have known it at the time but my life was a tide change...

So that eclipse was a sign of Gods's benevolence for me!

good luck to everyone will see the eclipse of 8 april..enjoy it !

Wish it will bring best changes in your life!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Roxeanne

It's emotional.!!!

..at the certain moment the birds stop singing!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

We had an article in  The Register Guard that explained that nowhere in Oregon is the visibility very good.  Where I live even worse with the trees in the way.  Still, if I had the glasses I would look.  Wish I'd have thought of it two days ago when I went to the city...about 25%.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Made some crockpot chicken with red BP, mushrooms, red wine, parsley, shredded when done...also salad with red BP, cherry tomates, olives, avocados.  Wonderful!

• Like 3

• Moderators

Here you go @widower2!

Best places to watch the eclipse from in and around Eugene
Miranda Cyr
Eugene Register-Guard USA TODAY NETWORK
The partial eclipse over Oregon on April 8 from beginning to end will be just shy of of two hours, beginning around 10:30 a.m. until about 12:15 p.m.
Peak coverage in Oregon will range from 11:20 to 11:30 a.m. when the sun is pretty high, so we should be able to see the eclipse pretty much anywhere, weather permitted.
Among the places that should be popular viewing areas in and around Eugene are:
h Skinner’s Butte in Eugene.
h Spencer Butte south of Eugene.
h College Hill Reservoir on Lawrence Street between 24th and 25th avenues in Eugene.
“You don’t need to go on top of the mountains or anything, but maybe on top of a hill ... anywhere that you’ve got a nice, open view of the southern sky,” said University of Oregon astronomy professor Scott Fisher.
Because Oregon is already so far from this eclipse’s path of totality, Fisher said there’s also no need drive any where for a better view. Across the entire state, the difference in percent coverage at peak is only about 5%.
“We’re sort of out on the fringe of the eclipse this time where we’re only getting this sort of 25% coverage,” he said.
When is the 2024 eclipse?
The entire partial eclipse from start to finish will be about three hours in Oregon. The moon will begin covering the sun at about 10:30 a.m. and move away at about 12:15 p.m.
Viewers in Eugene will see a peak of 24% coverage at 11:23 a.m. In Salem, the peak will be at 11:24 a.m. Across all of Oregon, the peak will range from around 11:20 to 11:30 a.m.
Weather permitting, the sun will be high in the sky at the time of the eclipse, however, cloud coverage could affect the viewing experience. According to the National Weather Service, both the Eugene and Salem areas are usually overcast 50% of the time in April and only clear about 10% of the time.
What makes this year’s eclipse unique?
According to astronomy professor Fisher, this year’s total eclipse will have some key differences from the 2017 total eclipse.
For those in the path of totality, the time of total darkness will be 4-and-ahalf minutes, compared to just over 2 minutes in 2017. Fisher said this is because of the moon distance from the earth at the time of the eclipse. On April 8, the moon will be closer in its orbit, which is not a perfect circle around the sun, meaning it will be blocking the sun for longer. Fisher said an eclipse can be up to nine minutes long at the moon’s closest point of orbit.
Additionally, Fisher said this is a great time to look at the sun, as it is in a period of high activity, meaning those looking through a telescope with proper eclipse protection will be able to see more sunspots and solar flares, making for a more interesting viewing experience. This is part of the sun’s solar cycle, which is an 11-year cycle, marked by high and low activity.
“Right now, 2024, we’re right at the peak of one of these cycles,” Fisher said, calling it a “solar maximum.” “The sun is very active with tons of sunspots and lots of prominences and things like that. We’re all hoping that on April 8, the sun is kind of an angry sun, and it has a lot of activity, which would (make) an even more beautiful view.”
During the 2017 total eclipse, the sun was close to solar minimum of lower activity.
“We’re excited about seeing some big prominences and beautiful puffed up corona, all of these things,” Fisher said.
Watch the eclipse with Eugene Astronomical Society
The Eugene Astronomical Society will be hosting an “eclipse party” at the College Hill Reservoir, located at 24th Ave. and Lawrence St.
If the sky is clear enough, EAS members will be at College Hill Reservoir with filtered solar telescopes to view the partial eclipse through. EAS will have some safe solar shades available for purchase.
Watch NASA’s live coverage of the 2024 total solar eclipse
NASA will have live coverage of the eclipse from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. as the eclipse travels through Mexico and across the United States.
Coverage will include live views across the path, expert commentary and live demonstrations
Don’t forget these solar eclipse viewing safety tips
h Never look directly at the sun without proper eye protection, as it is harmful to your eyes at any time during a partial eclipse.
h Regular sunglasses, no matter how dark tinted, are not safe for viewing.
h Eclipse glasses are the best option. Be sure they are made by companies recommended by the American Astronomical Society and NASA certified. These glasses should have the International Organization for Standardization icon and must have the ISO reference number 12312-2.
h Always inspect your eclipse glasses or handheld viewer before use. If torn, scratched or otherwise damaged, discard the device.
h Without eclipse glasses, a simple and safe way to view the eclipse is to watch the sun’s image projected onto a piece of paper. Poke a small hole in an index card with a pencil point, face it toward the sun and hold a second card 3 or 4 feet behind it in its shadow. You will see a projected image of the sun on the second card.
h Do not look at the sun through a camera lens, telescope, binoculars or any other optical device while wearing eclipse glasses or using a handheld solar viewer, as the concentrated solar rays will burn through the filter and cause serious eye injury. These require different types of solar filters that attach to the front of the device.
From right to to left: Cheryl Kurchin Chapman, Greg Fisher, Joan Flanders, Paula Staight and Diane Lang gather to view the Oct. 14, 2023 solar eclipse at College Hill Reservoir in Eugene. Another solar eclipse is expected to be visible from most of the U.S., including Oregon, on April 8. HALEIGH KOCHANSKI/THE REGISTER-GUARD
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
WithoutHer
51 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

Yes, I'm a worrywart when it comes to safety.  I spent my life around science teachers and scientists.  Safety in the lab and out of it got drilled into my head from the time I could hold binoculars and peer into a microscope.

Your post regarding solar eclipse glasses and safety is justified especially this year. I worked quality control/assurance my entire working life and have delt with potential counterfeit items especially electronic components all the way back to 1974.

Many months ago warnings were coming out about fake glasses coming to the market this year. Yes everyone should be very careful. I still have two pair Vickie and I used during the partial 2017 eclipse but without her I'm not going to bother looking this year. Life and interests just are not the same these days. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
widower2

Thanks but I'm in the boonies. I can't snag much of anything locally. :)  No big! 

• Like 4

• Members
Gail 8588
5 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

I was worried about that too so not only did I get the glasses from the approved list, I also test them when I got them.

Great video! Thanks.

• Like 3

• Moderators
8 hours ago, widower2 said:

Thanks but I'm in the boonies. I can't snag much of anything locally. :)  No big! 

Me too.

• Like 3

• Moderators
widower2
54 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

So true. Then they get upset that their phone needs repair.

Didn't know an eclipse can fry a camera phone too - thanks for that info! 

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin
1 hour ago, Boggled said:

I'll be listening for the silence, Roxanne!  but NOT looking at the sun.  Since I'm no expert on eclipse glasses, not gonna bother with any of 'em.

Last eclipse,I took photos of the odd way the shadows doubled themselves;  I'll be looking at shadows.  

I'm actually more interested in how other animals will react.  Will the birds stop chirping?  Chirp more?  Will the squirrels look confused?

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

Just a friendly reminder about the eclipse tomorrow...I'm off to make my "viewer" 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Another time I wish for  a WOW emoticon!

• Like 3

• Members
foreverhis

If anyone has PBS or PBS streaming, NOVA has an hour long special about the eclipse. Even science geeks like me can learn from it. Fascinating and informative.

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

Just a friendly reminder about the eclipse tomorrow...I'm off to make my "viewer" 

Show us your viewer! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
widower2

It's just as the video shows above. Although I tried it on the sun today and it' s blurry and tiny, so not sure if this will be much to see, but it will still be interesting to see it get quickly darker and then quickly light again.

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin

I see a cloud covered sky here today....... 😌

• Like 3

• Moderators
widower2

Sunny here but so far a disappointment...I can barely see a tiny indent in the sun (using the homemade viewer, so it's just a small dot anyway) and when I took a pic, it looks totally normal. ? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• Members
HisMunchkin

I was able to see some of the eclipse between clouds.  It's still pretty bright here, though.

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin

K, it's pretty dark now.

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin

Starting to lighten up again.

• Like 4