Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lots Of Stress And Grief While Starting New Life

tnd

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

Winters are hard here, esp. growing old alone.

KayC:  And gee, I complain if a light bulb burns out! You are sure brave and very resourceful from living on your mountain up there. I don't think I could do it, even if I was healthy. But then I daydream about the peacefulness you must have and the pleasure of all that beauty and the trails and wildlife to watch. Ever think of renting a small apartment during winter and just going to your mountain home on weekends? Probably very expensive where you are, was just wondering. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tnd

• John9

• KayC

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
On 12/21/2021 at 6:13 AM, tnd said:

There are a lot of negative hurtful things going on here but I prefer to see past all this and towards a life of my own. I am going to do this! 

@tnd  I am just amazed by your attitude despite it all, despite the nuthouse you temporarily find yourself in.  If I could just learn a little from you.  You are an inspiration to me, and I'm sure, to others.  Praying that you get a phone and your own place - and ASAP.

@KayC  You are absolutely right:  We cannot 'fix' others.  We can listen, we can guide, but that's about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
23 minutes ago, Jemiga70 said:
On 12/20/2021 at 4:13 PM, tnd said:

There are a lot of negative hurtful things going on here but I prefer to see past all this and towards a life of my own. I am going to do this! 

@tnd  I am just amazed by your attitude despite it all, despite the nuthouse you temporarily find yourself in.  If I could just learn a little from you.  You are an inspiration to me, and I'm sure, to others.  Praying that you get a phone and your own place - and ASAP.

@KayC  You are absolutely right:  We cannot 'fix' others.  We can listen, we can guide, but that's about it.

I would give the above two trophies if I could. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, John9 said:

snowblowers and gravel don't go well together

This isn't a snow blower, just a hand held blower, but you don't use one on gravel!  I don't use my gravel driveway in the winter to drive on, don't shovel it as I want gravel to stay there!

We live on a county road and when the plow goes by and does the shoulder they scrape down to the mud and throw rocks everywhere into the grass and

Yep!  They did that here too, depositing 4" of muck at the top of my driveway and side of the road everywhere!

• Hugs 2

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

I can't, I heat with firewood and need to keep the fire going so the pipes don't freeze,

KayC:  I hadn't thought of that. Frozen pipes can cause some serious and expensive damage. I remember how one year a toilet froze in the house. I used my hairdryer outdoors on the pipe to thaw it. My husband thought I was a genius. Fact was, he himself didn't own a hairdryer...he was mostly all bald. lol  I know he wouldn't be laughing at that but it made sense as to why he didn't have a hairdryer. We kept all the faucets/spigots dripping after that -and properly covered them. And I tried to never make light of his bald head.   

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, tnd said:

KayC:  I hadn't thought of that. Frozen pipes can cause some serious and expensive damage. I remember how one year a toilet froze in the house. I used my hairdryer outdoors on the pipe to thaw it. My husband thought I was a genius. Fact was, he himself didn't own a hairdryer...he was mostly all bald. lol  I know he wouldn't be laughing at that but it made sense as to why he didn't have a hairdryer. We kept all the faucets/spigots dripping after that -and properly covered them. And I tried to never make light of his bald head.   

tnd,

Funny how comments bring up memories or thoughts. My loving wife and quit using hair dryers a long time ago, her because her hair was so long and she hated drying it. She would towel dry it and pull it back put in a barrette and go to work, her hair would still be wet when she got home. That was partly from bathing dogs all day and being in a humid area. I quit using a dryer when my loving wife started cutting my hair short for me. We still had a dryer because MIL always wanted to dry her own hair. That being said, my loving wife teased me all the time about my receding hairline and my bald spot on the back area. I didn't like it but now I miss it. Nobody can tease like a LOVING spouse can and nobody is allowed to either. My loving wife also teased about my grey hair too but I told her I earned everyone. Trust me there are many more since she died.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
8 hours ago, KayC said:

This isn't a snow blower, just a hand held blower, but you don't use one on gravel!  I don't use my gravel driveway in the winter to drive on, don't shovel it as I want gravel to stay there!

KayC,

Sorry, I just figured it was a snow blower. You are right that gravel takes it's own type or style of care. What I did like about the gravel was that it had it's own drainage system because all water just flowed through it unless it floods.

• Like 2

• Moderators
22 hours ago, tnd said:

We kept all the faucets/spigots dripping after that

I do this when it gets down to the 20s, which it will this week.  I also have to keep a heater in my outdoor storage building that has the water tank/pipes. Running a space heater is costly but not as much as a plumber!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
4 minutes ago, KayC said:

I do this when it gets down to the 20s, which it will this week.  I also have to keep a heater in my outdoor storage building that has the water tank/pipes. Running a space heater is costly but not as much as a plumber!

KayC,

It is a shame there isn't a cost effective solution. I know that we all figure what works for us as much as we can. Life should be easier as we get older not more difficult to figure out. I know that nobody said life was going to easy, but they didn't say it would be so hard either. And I know things can always be worse and nobody wants that either. I am just venting my frustration in my life to your situation, hope you don't mind.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
15 minutes ago, KayC said:

At least I have my bases covered for a while, I'm in survival mode...

KayC,

That is good, lucky in a sense that you know how things are and can turn out. I think in my own way I too am in survival mode, barely but I am still here so. Good or bad.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
20 hours ago, KayC said:

Running a space heater is costly but not as much as a plumber!

So true.  I've had to call the emergency plumber after a hard freeze had thawed.   They can and do charge an arm and a leg because they are in high demand, as there are broken pipes all over town. 

I also learned how to cut the water off to my house at the street during a burst pipe event.  Ah the life lessons we learn as we go through the years. 

Anyway Kay, I know you are prepared for the cold.  Hope it's not too long before you get a warm up and the snow melts. 

Post pictures of your White Christmas if you can.  

Gail

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Hello everyone; I haven't posted for several weeks because of my fractured humorous and subsequent surgery, but I've been reading all the posts on this topic as well as another one I follow. I have to say I'm amazed by the resilience and perseverance you all have! I've been feeling sorry for myself because my recovery has had multiple complications, but it doesn't compare with what many of you are going through. It's Christmas Eve today; my second Christmas without my husband, and I will be totally alone today and tomorrow. I wish you all some measure of comfort during these holidays - it is tremendously hard for most of us. My brother invited me to go to Christmas Eve service with him and his wife and then go to their house for dinner, but I would have to drive myself and I can't take the risk of driving home in the dark with my injury. It is raining today and will be tomorrow here in the normally sunny Phoenix area. We need the rain, so I'm grateful, but it sure does make depression worse! Anyway; peace, love, and prayers to you all.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
1 hour ago, Diane R. E. said:

Hello everyone; I haven't posted for several weeks because of my fractured humorous and subsequent surgery,

Diane R.E.,

I hope that you are feeling well. I kept forgetting to post and see how you were. I'm sorry for that. I agree with the comment about the rain, it seems like here in Michigan all it does is rain since my loving wife died. I hope you are able to have a safe weekend, if you can enjoy Christmas please do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members

It is Christmas Eve and I will wish a Merry Christmas to all. Those that can celebrate I hope you enjoy the day. Take care, John

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@KayC Praying for you and Kodie to be safe and warm. I’m sorry you can’t have Christmas with your family. 

Your granddaughter is adorable.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

Kay,

Hoping for unexpectedly warm weather to come your way and take that snow away.  Glad your son is touching base with you.  Stay safe and warm.

Gail 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Kay, 

Survival mode for sure.  I am so glad you got some help from your church and neighbor.

It must be exhausting shoveling a path to the firewood, knowing that more snow is on the way and that the wind blows it back where you just cleared. 

Can you pile some wood on the front porch where it will be easier to access this week?  I know you don't generally store firewood right up against a house,  but wood you know you will burn up this week would likely not be a problem.  I'm sure you have a system that works for you.  I just hate to think of you going out in the drifting snow to get wood. 

Stay warm. 

Gail

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

I opened the front door this morning and it's a good thing he didn't go off the front porch, he would have sunk down to the bottom of 6' of snow!  He just looked at it, stymied, even for him!  I had to shovel a narrow path to the other part of the yard from different direction so he could go potty.

KayC,

I had posted on the other part (Lost my Best Friend) and I also wanted to say that whenever we got any decent snow and my loving wife got up first to let the dogs out. Our Chihuahua's just took a couple of steps and they did their business right on the deck, it was okay because I just shoveled it all away later but it was funny also. The Catahoula seemed to really not have a care in the world. I am glad the roof is not a worry but it sounds like there are more than enough other things to worry about. I know you have lived there awhile and from things you have said before, you are a very resourceful person. I am sure that you will figure out the best and hopefully easiest way to make it through. I hope that some help comes to clear some sort of paths at least for both you and Kodie.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

33" now.  Got more than predicted last night.  My pastor & elder shoveled my roof off, neighbor Jack came and joined them, but now all my pathways to the satellite dishes are plugged and so is my path to the firewood, and Kodie can't go out in the front yard or his pen anymore.  I opened the front door this morning and it's a good thing he didn't go off

@KayC  Oh my. - I hope you're able to get through this ok.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Glad to get past Christmas. 

With her permission, Francis' son invited his father (her ex-husband #3) for Christmas dinner. 

You KNOW you are in for a memorable Christmas when you hear, "Hope dad doesn't come over for dinner high on crack".   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
26 minutes ago, tnd said:

You KNOW you are in for a memorable Christmas when you hear, "Hope dad doesn't come over for dinner high on crack".   

tnd,

I am sorry that you had to hear that. I can only hope that you are able to get out of there soon. I hope it didn't go as bad as it sounds. I too am glad that Christmas is over, but it all just keeps going.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 12/22/2021 at 5:38 PM, John9 said:

That being said, my loving wife teased me all the time about my receding hairline and my bald spot on the back area. I didn't like it but now I miss it. Nobody can tease like a LOVING spouse can and nobody is allowed to either. My loving wife also teased about my grey hair too but I told her I earned everyone. Trust me there are many more since she died.

John9:  I tried not to tease my husband. But I did tell him that I thought he was handsome. He was bald when we met so I reminded him of that. He kind of had the Sean Connery look going on. 

Since his passing, I have more gray hair and it's starting to turn white. Doesn't bother me. My Mother had nice silver hair and it was almost white. I used to color my hair (brunette) but gave it up years back. Salons charge an arm and a leg and my stylist did good work but I got tired of going. Told my husband I just wanted the natural look. He was fine with that. He never told me what to do with my hair or what to wear/not wear, he was pretty good about that. We didn't try to change each other because we liked each other the way we were. He was so easy like that. Never fussy. I was lucky for that. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
13 hours ago, tnd said:

We didn't try to change each other because we liked each other the way we were. He was so easy like that. Never fussy. I was lucky for that. 

tnd,

I said it many times and will probably many more, my loving wife and I knew what we were getting into AND we accepted each other warts and all. And yes there were some warts. Our son is a hair stylist so if and when my loving wife wanted a touch-up he did it and he did his Grandmothers too. After my loving wife died we decided not to color his Grandmothers hair anymore because she never left the house and too stressful for her. He also took over the job of cutting my hair. It isn't the same though, not the same kind of LOVE goes into it.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

38" this morning, snowing continually, no end in sight.  Thursday predicted to be bad.

KayC:  Hope you stay safe and warm! I do not envy you. That would be a hard life and I'm too much of a whimp. When the electricity goes out what do you use for lighting? Do you read books? 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

When the elec. goes out, it's out.  My generlink doesn't work (supposed to link my generator to my meter), I paid $779 for it!  No water/light/toilet, nothing.

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 4

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

When the elec. goes out, it's out.  My generlink doesn't work (supposed to link my generator to my meter), I paid $779 for it!  No water/light/toilet, nothing.

KayC,

I read this posting many times, here and elsewhere and my broken brain just didn't register what you said. Finally it clicked, I understood what you meant. It is sad that the time you need something it fails to deliver. My loving wife and I had discussed a whole house generator because of her Mother, but it never got passed talk. I need power for sump-pumps, short outage okay but extended will cause issues. I hope that the power is finally up when the snow storm passes because I'm sure it's hard for them to work with all of the snow falling. I know that is how it is here when we have any bad weather and power out. I will hope that you and Kodie are safe and warm and able to get back to your routine soon.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
9 hours ago, John9 said:

He is here with me but at the same time not really here for me. He "tunes" me out whenever I try to discuss his Mother and how I am feeling and he just doesn't fully understand my grief.

John9:  I'm sorry you feel your son isn't as supportive as you need him to be. Maybe he's always viewed both his parents as being the strong ones and he, the child. Maybe he's not ready to view you as "the older dad who is now grieving". He might also be grieving harder than he lets on to and doesn't want to have to talk about it with you.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, tnd said:

John9:  I'm sorry you feel your son isn't as supportive as you need him to be. Maybe he's always viewed both his parents as being the strong ones and he, the child. Maybe he's not ready to view you as "the older dad who is now grieving". He might also be grieving harder than he lets on to and doesn't want to have to talk about it with you. 

tnd,

I understand what you are saying, it isn't what I want for him either. I was saying that there is no one that I can really discuss my grief with in person because no one understands my grief.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

no one understands my grief.

No, no one understand, they think it should be better by now, and whether it's a months, six months, ten years or 16 1/2 (me) it doesn't go away, we live with it.  This place right here, we're the ones that get it.:wub:  And we do, John.

2 minutes ago, steveb said:

You are in my thoughts and prayers KayC.

Thank you, and all of you in mine.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Internet out last night and this morning again.  Everything the guy from India (Viasat) told me yesterday was bullcocky.  It is weather related they said today.  Who knows.
County never showed up to plow and it's in the low 20s so now we're stuck with 4" on top of snowpack on the road...all frozen like a brick.  It doesn't ever get warm enough to melt, they missed their window of opportunity.
It's interesting to me that I can cut how much I eat and work like a bulldozer but the weight stays put.  ;)  Just an observation.

Yes, I'm feeling it, Steve and John, they did give us everything we needed.

Here is my post about losing Joe, found out yesterday he died the day before, no one bothered to tell me.
https://www.griefhealingdiscussiongroups.com/topic/13167-lost-my-sweet-joe/#comment-164985

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

Internet out last night and this morning again.  Everything the guy from India (Viasat) told me yesterday was bullcocky.  It is weather related they said today.  Who knows.
County never showed up to plow and it's in the low 20s so now we're stuck with 4" on top of snowpack on the road...all frozen like a brick.  It doesn't ever get warm enough to melt, they missed their window of opportunity.
It's interesting to me that I can cut how much I eat and work like a bulldozer but the weight stays put.  ;)  Just an observation.

Yes, I'm feeling it, Steve and John, they did give us everything we needed.

Here is my post about losing Joe, found out yesterday he died the day before, no one bothered to tell me.
https://www.griefhealingdiscussiongroups.com/topic/13167-lost-my-sweet-joe/#comment-164985

KayC,

Talking to tech support at any time is a crapshoot at best. I really hate calling, my internet went out the other night when I was trying to post here. It took a minute for me to figure it out and I tried the standard fixes and then called and the automated system said I needed a technician/housecall and they would send a link to my cell to schedule and I hung up. I tried to use my cell to login to my account and see if the internet was done and it wasn't, so I waited and rebooted and waited and finally it came back. I am saying all of that to basically say it wasn't my issue it was theirs but if you talk to a human they just want you off the phone or try to get money from you. I don't know what you were told about the issue I am speaking about my experiences. I could never be a phone support person, I care too much about people. I am still praying for you and Kodie about all of the snow and ice and hoping you can get around soon for supplies. I too have often wondered about food intake and activity and not losing weight, I guess the body does what it does to keep us going and intentional weight loss is a big business and so hard. I know I lost weight initially because I ate nothing but I have put some on now because I am eating but my activity level is way down. The snow removal is probably a budget/holiday pay issue, I know that is what we have to deal with. We are expecting a snowstorm later, nothing like what you got but my Amazon device woke me with an alert too early this morning for an evening storm. I don't know how to express my sorrow over what happened with Joe, I know you of all people understand how hard grief is and the unexpected ones can really knock you down.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
14 hours ago, KayC said:

. . . it's in the low 20s so now we're stuck with 4" on top of snowpack on the road...all frozen like a brick.  It doesn't ever get warm enough to melt, they missed their window of opportunity.

Kay, 

Thinking of you and hoping things ease up for you soon.

The weather is so strange this year.  It's 11:30 at night here and the temperature is 72 degrees.  I am considering turning on the a/c because  inside the house it's warmer than that because it's still holding heat from this afternoon when it was in the 80s.  This is extremely warm for Tallahassee on January first.  Can't really open the windows to let the air in as the humidity is so high it just makes it hot and sticky. 

Nothing compared to the troubles you have Kay, just odd it is so very hot here. 

Gail

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Oh, BTW, John, about my generator not starting, I put the stuff in the gas, still wouldn't start, neighbor came and said it was out of gas!  I could swear he put gas in it, then he went and filled my gas can and I paid him for it, that was two weeks ago, he says he didn't put gas in it, but how is it filled the gas can then?  I am so confused!  Anyway, he started it right up and let it run, it sounded choppy so I checked and he didn't have the choke right so I hope that didn't hurt anything as he let it run while I was gone.  I hope all it did was burn more gas.  Sigh, and I am NOT mechanical in the least!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

Oh, BTW, John, about my generator not starting, I put the stuff in the gas, still wouldn't start, neighbor came and said it was out of gas!  I could swear he put gas in it, then he went and filled my gas can and I paid him for it, that was two weeks ago, he says he didn't put gas in it, but how is it filled the gas can then?  I am so confused!  Anyway, he started it right up and let it run, it sounded choppy so I checked and he didn't have the choke right so I hope that didn't hurt anything as he let it run while I was gone.  I hope all it did was burn more gas.  Sigh, and I am NOT mechanical in the least!

KayC,

I am in no way mechanical either, I have learned a few things just enough to get myself in trouble. As I said I don't have a snowblower because someone was supposed to fix it last spring because it just stopped working in the middle of a snowstorm. I didn't make a big deal about it because I really don't care since my loving wife died. I was shoveling this morning and sad because I was thinking about her and how she would have fixed me a hot drink and or breakfast and maybe have a hot bath waiting for me.:(We didn't get anywhere near what you are dealing with but it triggered a memory and it was another happy/sad one and it hurts so much. It just reminds me that everything I did was more for her benefit than mine, making it easy for her in every way I could like clearing her car every morning if it snowed, clearing the driveway so it was easier for her to get out, anything she wanted or needed and now I am sitting here just crying all alone as I type this.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3