Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lots Of Stress And Grief While Starting New Life

tnd

• Members

Diane, I hope you can recover quickly from this misfortune.  Just the other day I bought winter shoes that have fibres in the soles to prevent slipping on ice. As I am getting older, falling down is one thing I dread the most, especially being alone. Everything is easier to get hurt and it is a hell of a time getting up too. I hope you get better.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tnd

• John9

• KayC

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
10 minutes ago, tnd said:

I don't know if people eat in Heaven but if they do, I'd say my husband had himself one heck a dinner. 

tnd,

That thought is a good one as far I am concerned. I wouldn't even begin to know if there is food in Heaven but as I said before my loving wife and I sure did love it when we were together. I can only hope there is some sort of "reward" there. Not questioning and not worried either just hoping to be with my loving wife again. When we had the Holiday gatherings at her Grandparents there were so many only a few could sit at the table and many went "wherever" they could sit so I can understand that part of the statement but it became a tradition and that is what hurts so much since my loving wife died not one of those people have ever called since she died over 8 months ago. Sorry just venting again. I am glad you had a nice meal anyway.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 11/24/2021 at 11:00 PM, foreverhis said:

He had me start using gel moisture drops four times a day and a moisture "goo" at bedtime. 

foreverhis:  Thanks for the tips. I use moisturizing eye drops but stopped for a while because I was going through those little bottles like there's no tomorrow. Oh, the drops helped but I cried so often that I had to use up more drops. The Sarcoidosis also has something to do with it. There doesn't seem to be a part of my body not affected by it. Add that to grief and well, you only have more grief!  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
On 11/25/2021 at 2:48 AM, Michael M said:

Cry as much as you need to, but don't  let it hold you back.  For months I cried in the parking lot of our favorite Chinese takeout place, but I kept going back and getting the food we both enjoyed so much.  

Michael M:  I'm glad you didn't let grief hold you back. We may not feel up to it but we have to keep going. Right now I feel like a wet noodle and finding it almost draining to think about doing anything. So much has hit me all at once that lately I just want to be like a flat Stanley and lay low and flat.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
42 minutes ago, Sparky1 said:

Just the other day I bought winter shoes that have fibres in the soles to prevent slipping on ice.

Sparky1,

I agree now that I am "alone" I do have that fear and somewhat unrelated I had to buy new tires today for the car because it didn't seem right when driving in the rain and I am not trying to put myself into a bad situation. I just hate how everything totally fell apart in all of our lives since our spouses died. My opinion in that regards by the way i know my life totally fell apart and is still crumbling around me.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
8 minutes ago, tnd said:

Add that to grief and well, you only have more grief!  

tnd,

I think we said before that grief is the gift that keeps on giving (or taking). I know each day it seems to take more out of me each day.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 11/25/2021 at 11:02 AM, cmp34 said:

I am home by myself, but I'm keeping busy. 

cmp34:  I am sorry you were alone on the holiday. Glad you came here to post. I wasn't alone but may as well have been. Pretty much kept to myself. But I didn't pass up the pie, either. No more left today, darn it. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
6 hours ago, Diane R. E. said:

I tripped and fell on my walk this morning and fractured my right humorous.

Diane R.E.:  Ouch! Sorry that happened! Take care and let us know that it is healing alright.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, tnd said:

Michael M:  I'm glad you didn't let grief hold you back. We may not feel up to it but we have to keep going. Right now I feel like a wet noodle and finding it almost draining to think about doing anything. So much has hit me all at once that lately I just want to be like a flat Stanley and lay low and flat.  

My wife did the flat Stanley thing for our neice.  Through some strings we pulled he rode on a U2 to the edge of space (not kidding).  Even flat Stanley can find a way to soar.  Rest a bit and see what opportunities present themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
14 minutes ago, Michael M said:

Through some strings we pulled he rode on a U2 to the edge of space (not kidding). 

Michael M:  That's funny! Just made my day. Well, that and another piece of pumpkin pie. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Was reading a little news today and I swear, I could be laid up for days, come back and nothing has changed. Same old news about violence, politics and more doom and gloom. I read about family shootings that occurred during Thanksgiving dinners. That's pathetic. I thought "Well, I may be missing my husband but I am glad that my life didn't end up like that with somebody shooting somebody else in the house over a holiday". Imagine that. Our grief is stinging and we ache for our loved ones and every hour we are awake we endure pain but gosh darn, at least it hasn't gone so low as family shooting family or friends on a holiday. Or any day for that matter. I'm grieving because my husband and I loved each other. The people in the news will be grieving for another reason.   

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
24 minutes ago, Michael M said:

I am always having little accidents recently.  My therapist told me to take care that my coordination is most likely off because of my state of grief.

Michael M,

I have to say that since my loving wife died, I have felt off and have injured my hands and arms because I am not judging distance correctly. I will try to take what your therapist said into my daily situation. Unfortunately the grief brain doesn't seem to follow the rules.

• Like 1

• Members
7 minutes ago, John9 said:

Michael M,

I have to say that since my loving wife died, I have felt off and have injured my hands and arms because I am not judging distance correctly. I will try to take what your therapist said into my daily situation. Unfortunately the grief brain doesn't seem to follow the rules.

Recently found my knee, wrist and elbow pads from my rollerblading days.   I have jokingly considered wearing them around the house.  :)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
5 minutes ago, tnd said:

Was reading a little news today and I swear, I could be laid up for days, come back and nothing has changed. Same old news about violence, politics and more doom and gloom. I read about family shootings that occurred during Thanksgiving dinners. That's pathetic. I thought "Well, I may be missing my husband but I am glad that my life didn't end up like that with somebody shooting somebody else in the house over a holiday". Imagine that. Our grief is stinging and we ache for our loved ones and every hour we are awake we endure pain but gosh darn, at least it hasn't gone so low as family shooting family or friends on a holiday. Or any day for that matter. I'm grieving because my husband and I loved each other. The people in the news will be grieving for another reason. 

tnd,

My loving wife and I did watch the news every night and we would say that certain nights we weren't going to do it. I have said before that I don't understand why people create this type of pain for others and you are correct that we are grieving about our loved ones and the fact that we really miss them especially at this time of the year. But we know that family gatherings can bring out the worst in some people and tempers flare and in the heat of the moment people do something that they can't undo.

• Like 2

• Members
2 minutes ago, Michael M said:

Recently found my knee, wrist and elbow pads from my rollerblading days.   I have jokingly considered wearing them around the house. 

Michael M:  I have been on Prednisone longterm (2 years) now. I have the ugliest bruises. I am eyeing a roll of bubble wrap.   

• Hugs 2

• Members
6 minutes ago, John9 said:

But we know that family gatherings can bring out the worst in some people and tempers flare and in the heat of the moment people do something that they can't undo.

John9:  Nah...buying up Boardwalk when you should've put your game piece on another utility is something you can't undo. Shooting someone is just plain wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
4 hours ago, tnd said:

Gail 8588:  The day went pretty much how it did for you. 

Tnd, 

Thanksgiving has gone very well for me.  We did Thanksgiving today, on Friday, rather than on Thursday, as my son in Atlanta couldn't get down here yesterday.  We had a full traditional meal, played games with my 3 year old grandson, then watched a movie together.  Everyone pitched in on the cooking, set up, and clean up.

I am stuffed, but very happy. The only thing that would make it better is if my husband could have would have been with us. 

This has been the first year that my holiday was not dominated by my sadness of missing my husband. 

With both my boys here, and the grandchildren. The house was filled with laughter and love.  I was able to say, and truly mean, this old adage my Aunt used to always say "I drink from my saucer, because my cup overfloweth"

Such a huge change from 2 years ago when I was so depressed. 

I feel guilty posting on here that my Thanksgiving was so positive. I know how hard it is for many people on here to just survive the day. My first 4 Thanksgiving were all hard.

Glad you made it through the day.

Gail

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
14 hours ago, tnd said:

John9:  Nah...buying up Boardwalk when you should've put your game piece on another utility is something you can't undo. Shooting someone is just plain wrong. 

tnd,

I agree, but it still can't be undone. Now if you want to discuss that the person probably shouldn't have a "temper" and a gun or that guns shouldn't be used to settle arguments or.....

• Like 2

• Members

I am glad that those of you who were able to celebrate Thanksgiving had a good one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members

tnd,

Thank you for the update and I am glad that you are not letting "others" distract you from your goals and mission to do what you need to so you can live your "own" life and be your husbands hero and honor him. I do understand that goals are important and I know you have a few that you have mentioned and the important one being able to be in your own place and I hope that happens soon if it's possible. I do think that the less pressure after being settled would do you a world of good and as I have said about myself if there was less on my "wobbly" plate maybe I wouldn't feel as down as I do but I am not able to move forward in that regards because everything is dragging on. Which is why I hope things work as fast as you want or need them to so at least someone can maybe catch a "break". I do understand when you talk about your health issues especially now that the "good" sister is dealing with something her Doctors told her can't be cured but they will TRY to manage it but it won't go away. Of course it isn't the same because they all told her even though she doesn't feel right she can go back to work and did so yesterday. I can only say what I have said to you before I hope for the best for you and for at least a little peace too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
7 hours ago, tnd said:

Down But Not Out 

Tnd, 

Glad that you are "not out".  One foot in front of the other. 

I also really hope, and am praying for, you to get a place of your own soon.  I think being in a place of your own will eliminate a lot of your stress.  Not that things will be easy, but you will have more control over your life. 

I hope at some point your brother reaches out to you and provides you some small measure of support. 

Thinking of you and sending you strength. 

Gail

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
19 hours ago, John9 said:

I told the "good" sister again yesterday I am so tired of being the "responsible" adult, I did it too long for too many and where did it "get" me.

John9:  Everyone must've known that you could be depended on. That's not a bad trait to have. I wish you'd give yourself more credit. But at this point in your life, I'd say you need to put yourself first for a change. I know you still have some "hurry up and wait" issues concerning your MIL's estate and your friends but, I hope on the days that you don't actually have to be doing anything with those I hope you'll rest. I hope you can look in the mirror and ask what that man needs. Anymore, I just try to do what is comfortable. Makes me feel lazy and then there are the moments I start to cry and can't do a darn thing. So what? What is the worst that could happen if I don't do anything today? If you need a break and need to cry, you don't need anyone's permission. And you cry anyways and then think it's terrible. It's NOT! I think your pain is being amplified by lack of sleep and rest. The body will only replace and repair certain cells for strength and energy during REM (deep) sleep of about 4 hours or so. If you're not getting enough ZZ's then your pain will be amplified. Pamper yourself or do whatever you need to do to feel comfortable. If you cry, you cry. But then take a break and rest. Sometimes a nap in the middle of the day is a good refresher. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

Have you lost any more weight?  Are you getting enough food to eat?  What about Rxs,

KayC:  I've lost a couple more pounds but I am eating. I order myself some groceries and Francis picks it up curbside. I pay and order her some food too when she needs it. Except last nite was a bit maddening...she said 530pm would be okay for her to pick up. The store is about 5-10 minutes away. By 730pm when she still hadn't arrived home, I emailed her. Got no reply. Emailed her again at almost 830pm. Still no reply. Then she walks in with her grandkids and my groceries and husband was right behind her (in his own car). Told her I was worried about her. She just gave me a weird smile and said that after picking up my groceries she had to go pick up her grandkids. Oookay...but she didn't tell me that before otherwise, I would have scheduled a later pickup time instead of having food that needs refrigeration being driven around for more than 2 hours. Maddening! 

As for my meds, she picked those up with no delay this time. Once I get moved I am going to do the mail thing. As for groceries, if Francis doesn't bring them home right away again then once I get a phone I will see if I can use Uber and get them myself. That would be hard for me so I don't know...but the store in the area does not have delivery service, only in-store or curbside. I may have to look into a store a little farther away that will deliver. We'll see. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
46 minutes ago, tnd said:

Sometimes a nap in the middle of the day is a good refresher. 

tnd,

I have tried numerous times and I haven't been able to nap, I am afraid even if I do then what little sleep I do get at night will be interrupted and I will have all of those "bad" thoughts going through my head again. I am trying as we say to make it one day at a time and do the best I can to get through.

33 minutes ago, tnd said:

She just gave me a weird smile and said that after picking up my groceries she had to go pick up her grandkids. Oookay...but she didn't tell me that before otherwise, I would have scheduled a later pickup time instead of having food that needs refrigeration being driven around for more than 2 hours. Maddening! 

tnd,

As for the food "issue" you know the saying that you can't teach common sense. Francis should know these things when dealing with groceries or anything that might spoil if left out too long. My loving wife and I figured that out a long time ago when we were young and "stupid" I also learned when it came to MIL's insulin it must stay cold or it is no good. You would think an "adult" would be smarter. Hopefully you won't have to worry much longer because you will be in your own place and you will be in total control, at least as much as possible.

• Like 3

• Members
48 minutes ago, tnd said:

Oookay...but she didn't tell me that before otherwise, I would have scheduled a later pickup time instead of having food that needs refrigeration being driven around for more than 2 hours. Maddening! 

Could you ask her to put stuff in a cooler with some ice packs for you?  I keep am insulated bag in my car for frozen items, etc.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
8 minutes ago, John9 said:

I have tried numerous times and I haven't been able to nap, I am afraid even if I do then what little sleep I do get at night will be interrupted

John9:  Sometimes we have to sleep when we get the urge. I take a medication that keeps me up. No matter when I take it, I cannot sleep through the night. So if I suddenly get the urge to sleep in the middle of the day I take advantage of that and sleep. I was getting maybe 1-2 hours at a time but just in the past week I've started to get closer to three hours of sleep now. Maybe it's the food. Anyways, sleep when you can. It'll do you some good and then you can work on a more normal schedule later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
2 minutes ago, tnd said:

Michael M:  I had an insulated bag, too but don't know if it was packed or not. I have also used coolers. I am very cautious when it comes to food.  Around here, nah...lack of hygiene, old and almost rotting food used in soups, unclean dishes...lots of stuff that makes me cringe. I will give her another chance but if it happens again and she drives around with my food then I am going to say something. It's very hard being in the situation I am in. I have to keep my cool and do whatever it takes to survive until I get my own place. Kind of a tough position to be in but shouldn't be much longer. Can't wait to unpack my hand towels and keep napkins and paper towels in the kitchen. Like I said...some cringeworthy stuff going on.  

tnd,

I do hope for your health and sanity that you are able to move ASAP. Wondering about food safety is not what you need on top of everything else.

• Like 4

• Members
5 hours ago, tnd said:

John9:  I wish I could vent to my (deceased) mother about all this. I could talk to her about stuff like this.

tnd,

Yeah, I suppose if my loving wife was in this situation and her Mother didn't have dementia she would have needed to to talk to her too. Sadly as I have said my Mother died when I was 2 so I never had the chance to ever have any talks with her. I basically have the people on this forum and the "good" sister to talk or vent to, and it helps me tremendously but I am still not in a good place.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
11 minutes ago, John9 said:

Sadly as I have said my Mother died when I was 2 so I never had the chance to ever have any talks with her.

John9:  I am so sorry that you lost your mother at such a young age. That would be a hard thing to live with. And now you are without your wife, your confidant. I could talk to my husband about anything. Before him tho, it was my mother and we continued to talk almost every day until her death. Now we are without both our mothers and spouses. It's so hard. I would've gone nuts without all of you on here to turn to. This site has really helped me. Now I'm just trying to keep it together so I can get out of here. I looked over at my cats and they look just about how I feel right now. They sort of look wore out. We cuddle and I talk to them, we keep each other going. Not the same as being able to reach over and hold my husband's hand or to ask him for a hug but thank goodness my cats like to cuddle. If I had to I'd talk to a gold fish. Thank goodness for this site! 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

I think a lot of us feel this way!  I would not have made it if not for the grief site I found 16 1/2 years ago.

KayC,

I am glad you found the "help" you did when you did BECAUSE if not "we" would all be lost without the help you (and others) have given. I know it isn't how you thought your future would be when you married George and when you lost him but I am thankful for your help and I know I have said it before and I will probably say it again because it is true.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1