• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• foreverhis

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
14 hours ago, KayC said:

No...it took me that long to find my purpose, namely helping with grief.  Now I have the added bonus of helping with diabetic groups, researching and finding answers.

Everything I know about Type I diabetes I learned because of Veronica.  She was diagnosed Type I at the age of 6 and her mom used glass syringes to administer insulin and used CliniTest chemical strips to test for glucose in urine.  When we got married in 1975 Veronica made me practice giving insulin injections on and orange using disposable syringes.  In 2004 she started using an insulin pump, then she had got the Dexcom continuous glucose monitor.  Between the pump and the CGM, her diabetes was under complete control.  But all the complications over the years just caught up to her and she ran out of time.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Type 2 is vastly different from Type 1.  No "cure" yet for that.  You'd think in this day and age...

• Like 2

• Moderators

But what a beautiful blessing, if it hadn't shocked you so much.  Those caught off guard moments are double edged for sure.

• Like 2

• Members
Just now, KayC said:

Those are special memories to hold onto.

You know, I feel a little better just sharing this stuff. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

It's a downer that our Christmas Parade has been cancelled due to projected rain.  I understand canceling it, I was just looking forward to going to it with my grandsons (4 and 2).   It would have been a lot of fun.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

In OR we don't cancel much due to rain.  It's been pouring the last couple of days, parades go on.  I'm sorry your little ones are missing it. :( Is there a neighboring town with one you can take them to?

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, KayC said:

In OR we don't cancel much due to rain. 

That's because it always rains ;)  Wait, that's Seattle....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Not in the summertime, but yeah, pretty much the rest of the year...when it's not snowing, which is seven months a year.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

This is for my area but they've been off a bit (it's colder than they say) so not sure how accurate this will be...
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.80009302166679&lon=-122.41395950317383&site=pqr&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en#.WdkTzMiGOM8

Currently it's 46 at 3 am. Snow coming this week though. It has been pouring rain and high winds for days now. Had a power outage Saturday.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Some friends of mine lost their niece on Friday to a drug overdose.  I didn't know she was in danger that way.  It's hitting me really hard- I did know her just as one of the crowd of kids running around growing up together, but not very well at all.  i just can't stop thinking how tragic and horrible it is, such a young person.  

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I had to block my SIL because she is nuts.  Calling 20-21 times/day so no one can get through to me, that's AFTER I let her talk for two hours!  She wakes me up when I've asked her not to call after 4.  Can't handle her.  I love her but can't deal with her.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

She's actually my ex SIL, her BIL and I were divorced 23 1/2 years ago.  I love my BIL (her husband) but even for his sake, can't do this.  She wants to talk about him and his wife, enough already!  And she wants to sue her sister for throwing away her culottes 15 years ago when she left them in Omaha.  I told her the statue of limitations has long run out and a judge would throw it out as frivilous, but she says she doesn't care, she wants to sue her.  Don't need to hear it... If she wanted them so bad, she should have packed them.  Truth be told, they probably needed tossed.

• Hugs 3

• Moderators
widower2

ugh. Yeah I don't have patience for such nonsense either. 

• Like 2

• Members

AJ4:  Very sorry to hear about your dad. Our prayers are with your dad and your family.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
foreverhis
On 1/11/2024 at 11:18 AM, AJ4 said:

We just found out my dad has pancreatic cancer.  He's not doing well over all anyway.  I'm very worried about my mom.  They live 450 miles away from so I can't just run over there and help.  I'm freaking out  a lot.  

I’m so sorry to hear you and your family are going through this. As much as I know that the longer we live, the more trials we will face, sometimes it feels as if they compound one on the other.

We will all be thinking of you and your family and praying or wishing for the best.❤️

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rlh said:

even on a good day I can't do 4 hours of driving both ways (esp when one way will be nighttime driving).

I get it, it's 3 hours to my son's and they always want me to drive there, never reciprocal.  Not in the winter.  I prefer to split the driving with my daughter but that doesn't work when they want me to take care of their kids.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, rlh said:

but even on a good day I can't do 4 hours of driving both ways (esp when one way will be nighttime driving).

I mentioned this a few months ago: I used to pass rest stops. Now, I visit every one of them; even if I don't need to use the men's room. :)

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 minute ago, RichS said:

I mentioned this a few months ago: I used to pass rest stops. Now, I visit every one of them; even if I don't need to use the men's room. :)

We really only have one rest stop at the state line between here and there. We do always stop there (more often than not, I need it an hour in anyway).

• Like 3

• Members

I'm calling my parents a lot but I feel super helpless.  My son is going to visit them and see if he can help.  When I talked to my dad today he said my mom needs a lot of help.   She's taking care of the whole farm by herself and it's been 0 degrees which means nothing works_ like. The water for livestock etc. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
32 minutes ago, AJ4 said:

I'm calling my parents a lot but I feel super helpless.  My son is going to visit them and see if he can help.

I'm sure your son will help them in some ways. Do they have any friends/farmers nearby that could lend a hand?

• Like 3

• Moderators

That's a good idea, Rich.  Hoping your son can be of help to them, I'm sure he will.

• Like 2

• Members

Tonight, thinking about how my sheets are overdue to be changed. I washed them the day before his surgery, so he slept in them that one last night.

Once I wash these, there won't be sheets that he's slept in anymore.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 4

• Members
11 hours ago, rlh said:

Tonight, thinking about how my sheets are overdue to be changed. I washed them the day before his surgery, so he slept in them that one last night.

Once I wash these, there won't be sheets that he's slept in anymore.

Megan Devine, in her book "It's OK That You're Not OK" wrote that she didn't change her bed sheets for a year. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Could save the sheets as is and put in a plastic bag to preserve the smell which dissipates after about a month, put other sheets on your bed if you're concerned about hygeine.  Just an idea.

• Like 3