Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Debbie Downer Days...

Gator M

• Members

@Gail 8588  That's a good one.

@Gail 8588@widower2  We could always discuss the Oxford comma.😉  I'm pro-comma, just so you know.  I have a fun story about being vindicated for my firm belief in them.

• Like 1

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• foreverhis

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
2 hours ago, Gator M said:

I am dragging today.

Not too much energy myself this afternoon. Maybe both of us need to get out of the house. I'm taking my son to Barnes & Noble to meet up with his friends. Not exciting, but at least it's a change of scenery from watching an 8-0 baseball game and having the cat sit in my lap about five times.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Air quality today is 225, not good. Just got home with Kodie, took him to the park and church fun day. 

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Yesterday it was 200, right? What number do you have to hit before you need to start evacuating?

• Like 1

• Members

Kay, that's disheartening to hear.  I know it's not nearly as bad as your worst last year, but that it's going up is so worrisome.  You're in my thoughts throughout the day and evening.  You're all in my prayers too.💗

• Hugs 2

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, RichS said:

Yesterday it was 200, right? What number do you have to hit before you need to start evacuating?

Air quality has nothing to do with evacuations, fire does.  If it escapes the lines...

Last  year the air was 1628, the year before (although more briefly) it got to over 2800.  Right now: (we're fortunate to have a sensor on the street).

F&S.JPG

• Members

I love the comma, but you could put a gun to my head; and I still don't know where to put the semi colon.

On to the downer. I think I know to much about cancer ( that nasty bitch).

( I love the bracket too)

You can not tell people the nitty gritty truth, they don't want to know or you can't tell them or you will break their heart. The best you can do is try and be helpful.

I am watching another friend face the Dragon and it is pulling up memories that are ripping me apart. I don't think I can take much more. Time to run away and join the circus.

Time to take a vacation, just go, in 4 weeks there will be snow in the mountains.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I think I know what I am missing, I have nothing I am really looking forward to. That great sense of anticipation of something special. I have to find that again. To be excited about what happens next. Instead of misery and looking back knowing I will never see her again, never talk to her, never feel her cuddled up to me, never see her smile again.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
19 minutes ago, shawnt said:

I think I know what I am missing, I have nothing I am really looking forward to. That great sense of anticipation of something special. I have to find that again. To be excited about what happens next. Instead of misery and looking back knowing I will never see her again, never talk to her, never feel her cuddled up to me, never see her smile again.

Once again Shawn, you must be reading my mind. I'm feeling the same way.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I think it definitely helps to "get out there," even if sometimes we don't feel like it. There are all kinds of social groups and activities to try. I was reluctant at first myself, but ultimately glad I did. I made new friends, did new things, wasn't at home stewing in my own misery non-stop. I think just to be focused on something else can help. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Gator, it can be anything, bird watching, gardening, book club, nature walks, anything that gets you out with people that have a like interest.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gator M said:

All kinds of social groups?

I'm listening.  

Almost everything here is now online or dating sites.

Even the churches here have dropped singles groups.

I've been looking for months.   It's not as EASY as some may think.

I'm in the process of starting one...it's slow going.

Try this: https://www.meetup.com/

Then search on ones in your area. The nice thing about these is they are very inexpensive or even free and there's no pressure to go to any particular event at all. Pick and choose what interests you. 

• Like 3

• Members
8 hours ago, shawnt said:

. . .

You can not tell people the nitty gritty truth, they don't want to know or you can't tell them or you will break their heart. The best you can do is try and be helpful.

. . . .

That is how I feel when I see my SIL who just lost her husband last month. She is in that awful raw grief and wants to know when this will end. 

I try to be helpful with the 'it's different for everyone'  but I think it would crush her to hear how long I was in that dark pit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I'd give her a range and just tell her it's different for everyone, depending on how they process their grief. Seriously it takes effort, going for grief counseling, grief support groups, journaling, forums, reading books/articles...I remember feeling like "I didn't ask for this or want this, why do I have to do anything!!!"  IDK, but we do...

• Like 3

• Moderators

RIght...it does get better ("better" meaning less bad, not "fixed"), it just takes time...and like you said, there's no pat answer on how much. I guess the hopeful takeaway is she should be continually trending in the right direction.

• Like 1

• Members

Monday's at camp make me really miss her. It was the stolen extra day, just me and her. Guests gone home, kids back to work. Me and her in the peace and quiet. Now the place feels desolate. Maybe I should be working or home doing laundry .

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

“Everything looks the same, but feels different.”——-That’s how my mind has been operating since Chris passed away, so I can relate to how you feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members

OK--------I was going to do this tomorrow but decided to do it today. Tomorrow will be Chris' ONE YEAR REMEMBERENCE DAY (August 15, 2022). Hope you understand.

• Hugs 4

• Moderators

How are you online without power? Hope power comes back up soon! Around here a stiff breeze knocks out power; we're so overdue to lose it. You don't realize how much you rely on electricity until you don't have it. ugh.

• Like 1

• Moderators

...and battery power on the computer. Yeah, my brain works sometimes.

I keep around a few magazines and puzzle books for power outs like that. Reading by candlelight isn't great, but options are limited...

• Hugs 3

• Members

Strong thunderstorms cancelled softball games tonight; so no scorekeeping. Not too disappointed, though. Between Chris's REMEMERANCE DAY and a bunch of errands to run, I fell asleep in my chair by 6:00 PM.

widower2:  Glad to hear that Joe Burroughs finally gave it a rest for awhile. :)

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
4 hours ago, widower2 said:

...and battery power on the computer. Yeah, my brain works sometimes.

I keep around a few magazines and puzzle books for power outs like that. Reading by candlelight isn't great, but options are limited...

During our first power loss last winter, I was trying to figure out how I was going to charge my phone if the outage lasted and/or we were on evacuation warning for the floods.  (Bing!) Oh yeah, I have a fully charged laptop and can use that to charge my phone.  I had to do that twice during the various outages.

I don't know if we're allowed to link suggestions for purchases, so I will simply suggest you do a search for Luci Lights.  Friends have them for camping and outages, so another friend and I checked out the options.  They are darn wonderful.  Solar charged and good light.  We opted for the warm light and each bought two "base camp" models for room lighting (plus USB A or USB C for phone charging) and a "basic" one for carrying from room to room.  So far, so good.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I doubt solar would work with the thick smoke.  Laptop is a great suggestion.

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Gator M said:

you may consider putting up a small wind generator. 

Takes $.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry.  Going through probate is no fun, my sister died 1 1/2 years ago and her place sold 1/6, all going to 9 nieces and nephews but not one of them has seen a dime, the lawyers get their money but...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, foreverhis said:

During our first power loss last winter, I was trying to figure out how I was going to charge my phone if the outage lasted and/or we were on evacuation warning for the floods.  (Bing!) Oh yeah, I have a fully charged laptop and can use that to charge my phone.  I had to do that twice during the various outages.

Depending on what kind of car you have, you could charge it there too (EDIT: Gator beat me to it). That's also a nice time for a drive, where you have A/C and can play tunes. :)  Course you can't do it for long, but it helps!

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Gator M said:

I'm pi$$ed. 

I went to the bank today.  I hate this bank.  We were in the process of changing banks.   Most of the money was already moved. Most of the accounts were in both of our name BUT one.  The bank refuses to let me know if it is active or how much is in it if any.   I could not find her password, and everything is electronic...no mail.  My probate attorney could not figure it out.

I brought a Death Certificate...Not enough.  I just brought a letter from the court saying I'm the executor...Not enough... Their "Legal Team" has to review it.  This has been going on for months. They said it's Federal Law...That's BS.  Most states it would roll over to surviving spouse...Not here. 

That IS indeed BS. I presented a death certificate and my ID and letter showing me as power of attorney and that was enough. What crapass bank is this which I will never use? 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Unbelievable. Sorry you have to go through this. I had numerous "extra things" like that which were total BS after my loss (mostly related to her scum daughters trying to get the will tossed out) and I was seething. So losing the love of my life isn't enough? Some dipsticks have to throw salt on the wound? Really? 

Hang in there friend. You will survive this. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Moderators

Oh no!  I am so sorry to learn this, Gator.  It's going to be tough, I am sure you'll be there for them as much as you can..  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Quote above I messed that one up. And couldn't delete it.
(Edit: deleted it for you... W2  :)  ) 

I'm having the same realization issue as I said in another post. Just over 6 months and I still haven't accepted deep down that Vickie is not here.

I don't think that will ever smooth out for me.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, WithoutHer said:

I'm retired and home every day. Have no interest in getting out except I'll go for a drive now and then to force myself without a destination. I don't think I know I'll never be where I was. Like everyone doing this alone that returning without her presence just reinforces the emptiness.

I think there is value in getting out for the sake of getting out. Whether it's a drive, a walk, getting together with family/friends, joining a social club, anything.......just don't sit home and let the walls close in.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Well said Gail, exactly...it's not the world we want to say the least, but I think over time we learn that just because our life has changed doesn't mean it's over. As impossible as it seemed to me early on, it is possible to again have fun and get some enjoyment out of life.

• Like 4

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

I walk around the neighborhood or go the food court on the base and wander aimlessly.  Hey, it’s out and about, right?  

Yes it is! So you're retired USAF?

• Like 2