• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• foreverhis

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hi everyone.. today is definitely a "Debbie Downer" day. Just venting...

It is July 12th, which means I have lived without my soulmate for 3 months today. 

I am still in the same place I was in 3 months ago. I start and end my days in bed crying and begging the universe to give him back to me. I know it hurts my family to see me in such pain.. as I am the youngest and everyone has always wanted to protect me. But I can't help it. I am known for my resilience amongst my family and friends. But this is something that I don't think I will ever recover from. I spend most of my days fantasizing about the world with him in it. About our future together.

I truly have lost all interest in my own life and the world around me. I am no longer passionate about the things I used to be. I finally got into my dream graduate program 4 months ago which I worked so hard for and that he supported me entirely through... but after his passing I don't care anymore about school or a career or anything really. 

A world without him in it seems pointless to me. The pain is just too much for my heart, mind, and body to handle. It's a fight every day to survive, but I don't understand why I'm supposed to fight for a life that my soulmate will no longer share with me? Why do I have to go on? I don't get it. We already had the life we wanted, together. Anything from this point on is just a consolation prize. 

I am sorry if what I have written is triggering for anyone else... or upsets anyone. That is not my intention. I just miss him so much and it kills me that the only person who would be able to get me through this kind of pain, is the one person I will never ever see again.

• Sad 4
  • Hugs 2

• Members
4 minutes ago, KayC said:

Recover, no.  But it reminds me of this:

Kintsukuroi means ‘to repair with gold’ in Japanese, and is the art of repairing pottery with gold and understanding that the piece is the more beautiful for having been broken.
Kintsugi-2[3].jpg

Yes, our hearts are broken but slowly, very slowly they begin to heal. They never mend completely but we learn to live with the cracks. There is a Japanese saying that when a bowl falls and breaks it is put back together with gold glue and that is okay because that is how the light gets in.

That's beautiful. Thank you very much for sharing this.. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
28 minutes ago, KayC said:

Yes, our hearts are broken but slowly, very slowly they begin to heal. They never mend completely but we learn to live with the cracks. There is a Japanese saying that when a bowl falls and breaks it is put back together with gold glue and that is okay because that is how the light gets in.

That is the most beautiful thing I've heard in a long time.  Thank you for sharing this.  A beautiful thing to remember & think about.  We are all broken & hopefully the light will get back in through our cracks.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
3 hours ago, Sheilz said:

But posting here has helped.  It's a long & windy road for sure.  

Yes, this board is a tremendous help. You also realize that you often can help others as you're being helped. I also believe that a long and windy road is ahead for me as well as all of us.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
18 hours ago, Gator M said:

Please don't take this wrong, 3 months is very early in this journey.  This is very common in grief.  All these feeling may come and go.  I suggest, in these early months that you accept any help given.  Try to surround yourself with people who care, who understand, preferably both.  This site is a good place to start.

It shocked me to learn that 12-24 months is normal (if there is a normal) for early grief.  I'm no expert but I suggest you take care of you.  Do what you HAVE TO (eat, bath, work)  however, I would not do anything that is not pressing.

You are not crazy, you are not lazy, you are not being a baby...THIS IS GRIEF.

If you are spiritual, I'd lean on God and church.  When you are ready, look into a grief group, I go to GriefShare.org.  Post here.  PLEASE be kind to yourself...The loss of a spouse is considered the MOST stressful thing you can experience

Thoughts and prayers

@Gator M Thank you so much for your response. I didn't take it wrongly at all. I appreciate everyone's input and own experiences because as you said I am very early in this journey. It is my first loss ever as well. So I'm very grateful for your advice. Thank you again. ❤️ 

• Hugs 3

• Moderators

My sister went blind in one eye by ignoring her macular degeneration for over five years (she had dementia. I didn't know she had this eye diagnosis until after her husband died and she finally told me, I got her into the eye doctors asap but unfortunately, cataract surgery did not help. Fortunately she still had use of one eye.  She passed last year.   

I am so sorry for your uncle's diagnosis.:(

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

I get a bible verse a day....this was mine today...remove the TWO people and replace with one sitting there...

It reminded me of where we are at...so different doing this alone. Most of us would be happy if that other person was still here.

image.jpeg.df458f4264f776886350d767f82917f6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

It reminded me of where we are at...so different doing this alone. Most of us would be happy if that other person was still here.

And those two sentences kind of sum up the reason why I feel that I've gotten stalled moving forward. At my monthly grieving group the other day, I used the word "flat-lined." After our meeting one of the regulars there said that she didn't like that word. So, in a humorous way I said, "how about non-progressive?" She seemed OK with that.

I've brought up my stalled feelings in our discussions. I've been "tutored" by a few of these members that I need to get out more. Often our discussions lead to non-grieving topics, with little time left for why we're really there. One of them decided to have an informal social gathering outside of our meeting. What I believe this group is in reality is a monthly social gathering (most of them are seniors). And that's fine. It just doesn't serve the main purpose why I'm there. In fact, I've always felt that this board helps me 90-95% in my grief journey. The monthly meeting, maybe 5-10%. And again, that's fine. I think I may need to stop going to those meetings because they're serving a different purpose than what I need at this stage of my grief.

With all of that being said, these are nice people; and I've always felt welcome there. What I've discovered is that many of the members have lost their spouses a few years ago; so they seem to be further along the grieving path than me. And that's great. Maybe some day I'll be able to better relate to their current mind set.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I think a grief support group needs some structure, some lesson material to go through, but go through it at a pace that is cohesive to the group, there has to be a balance. I was good at leading my group and enjoyed it.  I think therein lies the problem with my Bible Study Group, the leader is controlling and wants to get her agenda across at any cost! And it's cost some people, not serving the majority.  I'll be going today and we'll see how it goes...

• Members

I think therein lies the problem with my Bible Study Group, the leader is controlling and wants to get her agenda across at any cost! And it's cost some people, not serving the majority.  I'll be going today and we'll see how it goes...

That's a common problem with religious groups. A leader can sometimes get carried away; forgetting they're there to help spread the word of God and not satisfying their egos. A good example are some TV evangelists. After watching for awhile you can weed out the ones that are there to serve themselves.

• Members

you sound like me except I am not religious.  I believe like I said it would be pretty hopeless if you don't believe in something.  I just think "God" would want you to help yourself and get off your duff and do something.  I think your beloved would want you happy.  It would hurt your loved one to see you in such pain.  Yet it is something we have to go through.  Like I said in another post.. I don't know when my tears stopped.  They just did.  Everyday you will get stronger.  Hard to believe this when the hurt is so powerful but you will.  I think another part of this grieving is wanting to that.  We have to want that.  We tend to get caught up in our heads that if we move on we will forget our loved ones or do a disservice to them.  

The fog is real too.  I still go in and out of it.  Hits me hard some days.  What really helps me is to keep busy so I don't get all caught up in my head.  Have a purpose.  Your purpose can be something as silly as putting a puzzle together or starting a new hobby, or the accomplishment of fixing something you never thought you could fix.  Visit your family once a week.  (n you would be surprised how much joy this has been to me, taking the time to make this happen)

I have been so used to being part of something,  I have to find out about me now.  I have to learn me.  

Certain days are hard for us.  We need to learn to find little things in those days to make them ok again.  Saturdays we always did things together.  Saturday comes along and we have time to get in our heads because the missing him is horrible.  Working on that.  Trying to find a new way of a happiness.  Not forgetting but knowing that he would want us to move on and be ok.  Plus if I am feeling this way he is probably feeling this way too and I want him to move on and be happy and ok wherever he is at.   This sounds silly but only people here can understand this.

one more thing my daughter and I look for signs.......    Cardinals, hummingbirds ( he loved them)        

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Bou said:

I have to find out about me now.  I have to learn me.

Yep!

• Members
12 minutes ago, Bou said:

I don't know when my tears stopped.  They just did.  Everyday you will get stronger.  Hard to believe this when the hurt is so powerful but you will.  I think another part of this grieving is wanting to that.  We have to want that.  We tend to get caught up in our heads that if we move on we will forget our loved ones or do a disservice to them.  

Bou:  This is a great explanation of where my head is at right now. By the way, there is a future for you in grief counseling, if you ever decide to go that route.

• Like 1

• Members

Started my day with little to no sleep as well. I woke up in the middle of the night with racing thoughts about everything.  I have kept so busy I have not had time to process and everything has just kept moving forward. It hurts too much to think about.  The loneliness is horrible. We did everything together. We enjoyed time together, being together. We had a good marriage.   Gator I don’t think your Ann would want you to stay stuck in misery. I think she would want you to be happy and want all good for you, she would want you to live life to the fullest. When you are ready maybe you should start taking baby steps to be ok for the moment. I really don’t know or when this happened for me. Don’t get me wrong I am never going to stop missing him but at some point I had to say to myself he wouldn’t want me to go on like this. He would want me happy and to be ok.  Some days I am great and other days I have to refer back to this way of thinking. Rinse and repeat.      Time doesn’t heal it just makes it more bearable and routine. Keeping busy helps not get stuck in my own mind of thoughts until I am stronger and able to handle them better

B

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
30 minutes ago, Bou said:

Some days I am great and other days I have to refer back to this way of thinking. Rinse and repeat.      Time doesn’t heal it just makes it more bearable and routine. Keeping busy helps not get stuck in my own mind of thoughts until I am stronger and able to handle them better

You're doing about all anyone can do in their grief. My grief counselor friend has told me that eventually you'll reach a point where it's more bearable. What still amazes me is that he said you don't have to do anything to reach that point; but it does take different times for all of us.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I respectfully disagree that it's a foregone conclusion that it won't get better. I was dealing with a lot along with oh btw her loss at the time as well and felt similar. I saw the future as bleak and hopeless then as it would be forever. I was wrong. It's never become a bed of roses mind you but the diff between now and then is night and day. This is just IMO/FWIW but I don't think you should give up on hope for better days. Believe it or not, the odds of that are likely in your favor.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Widower2:  I certainly hope that your prediction comes true for all of us. The fact that you’ve been at this a lot longer than many of us has to mean that you’ve gained some wisdom that many of us have yet to discover.

It’s coming up to almost a year since my wife passed. I’ve accepted that she is gone. Problem is, I’ve gotten stuck moving forward. Going through the motions is how most of my days go; which goes hand in hand with my indifference about most things. Tonight I’m restless for some reason. A hour ago I was tired; ready to go to sleep. After a half hour in bed, I realize that I’m not relaxed enough to sleep. Why? Who knows? 

I’ve also realized that grief can be exhausting. Maybe it’s because, as you say, “that the future doesn’t look too promising.” Hopefully some day like you, I’ll realize that my current feelings about the future were wrong. In the meantime, though I’m not regressing, I’m not moving forward, either. My guess is (at least for me), this grieving process is going to take more time. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Better days but this month isn't one of them...

I can't walk right now, injured my ankle a few days ago, it's been swelling and hurting, yesterday it cried a screeching halt to anything.

Bedrock fire is out of control, 3 miles west of us and blowing our direction. It went from 300 acres to 4428 in 1 1/2 days. Lord knows what it is now. 

Can't reach my daughter, I can't drive as far as my son's, it'll be evacuation time again and I don't have anything packed or anywhere to go.  I canceled my dermatology appt.  You think it can't get worse...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

Sorry to hear all about all that's going on, Kay. Is your phone working, or you just can't reach your daughter? I'm sure many of us on this board would help you, if we lived nearby. Prayers are with you for your safety.

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, RichS said:

Is your phone working, or you just can't reach your daughter?

I reached her this morning, she works all the time and has her phone off when working, today's a later start. She said I can evacuate to her house if/when the time comes and it surely will. 43 years, nothing, last three is a different story. Very smokey outside.  

13 hours ago, widower2 said:

I don't think you should give up on hope for better days. Believe it or not, the odds of that are likely in your favor.

Totally, I agree, if someone is under 3 years, they haven't given it the time to tell yet...my month may be going poorly but it's just stuff life's made of, and I can always find something good in the day, some days you just have to look harder is all.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Gator M said:

With respect, I know things will progress.  I'm already "kinda" functioning.   Sure they may get "BETTER".  Define "better".

I'll put this sports terms.  My team went from NC playoff contenders to losing it's QB and OC.  It took decades to find talent like that.   This past year we were near the bottom and our schedule is brutal. 

My stadium is in disrepair, my seats are empty, and my fan support is dwindling.    The HC is aging and does not know if he has many more good seasons left.   He's just going through the motions.  

I suggest:

- Draft wisely
- Work free agency
- Cut ticket prices
- Consider moving to a smaller stadium - perhaps even move the team a la Robert Irsay

And since the team was at or near the bottom, they have much more room to go up than down. 

I'm not trying to be a Pollyanna, honest. And I will never suggest anyone listen to or sing "High Hopes." But I was about the same as you 7 months in. I saw nothing but gloom and horrific darkness ahead. But amazingly I was wrong (me being wrong isn't amazing, I mean that it wasn't like that as I expected: forever). It did get better, and I don't mean "a teeny weeny, I could barely notice it" better. I mean significantly. The thing is it's gradual, with fits and starts all in between, so how gradual it is or when you can look back and go "wow it's still hard, but way better than those early days" I of course can't say. I'm just saying that it is likely things will eventually be better than you dare hope right now.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Estates and family can often be a cat fight. My aunt wasn’t dead for two weeks and some of her sisters were asking my cousin for certain pieces of her jewelry. That takes a lot of nerve.

To add insult to injury, my cousin (who lives in Massachusetts) tells me that when he dies the state will charge a “death tax” based on the market value of his house. I guess that’s why for years the locals up there refer to their state as “TAXachusetts.”

• Sad 3

• Members
14 hours ago, Jemiga70 said:

who still haven't paid my wife's life insurance policy.  It's going on 2 YEARS and 3 MONTHS.  What a disgrace.

I might have mentioned this before, but have you contacted the Insurance Commissioner's Office in your state?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gator M said:

Y'all wonder why I wish God would just take me. 

No, we don't wonder, we know.  When Kodie goes I'll be wishing the same thing.  

3 minutes ago, RichS said:

I might have mentioned this before, but have you contacted the Insurance Commissioner's Office in your state?

Great idea!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Mine's going with me. 

You know, your remark reminded me of when my mom was alive and she'd gleefully tell me animals don't go to heaven!  (Why, even if she believed that, would she rain on my parade and try to bring me down!)  Nope, not going for it, God knows what my little Kodie means to me, and he's coming with...(cats too).

Dogs get free pass.jpg

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
1 hour ago, RichS said:

@RichS   Unfortunately I don't live in the States and the policy is registered overseas.  My wife's employer (where she worked before she passed)  is doing the heavy lifting to get this squared away.  Even they are shaking their heads at this point.

• Sad 1

• Members
3 hours ago, Gator M said:

It seems NO ONE does what is right, ethical, or moral today.

I would say that FEW do, based on my experience, but those few are usually not corporations, government, banks or any other entity concerned with money.  When someone does act ethically I'm pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
14 hours ago, RichS said:

. . . when he dies the state will charge a “death tax” based on the market value of his house. 

RichS, 

It might be worth his while to talk to a Massachusetts estate planning attorney.  There may be ways to reduce or eliminate the estate tax burden. For example perhaps he can get a second mortgage on the house reducing his equity.  I don't know Massachusetts law, but I imagine there are loopholes that wealthy people use to avoid that tax.

Good luck to your cousin.

Gail

• Like 1

• Members
20 hours ago, Gator M said:

Even with my faith, I feel EMPTY and ALONE. I'm praying for all of us.

I do feel that way at times; and I suspect many of us do as well. Our faith is being tested.................

9 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

It might be worth his while to talk to a Massachusetts estate planning attorney.

That's a great idea, Gail. Up to now he's had an uncle (who lives nearby and smart on tax laws) giving him advice. I think it would be wise for him to consult with someone even more knowledgeable.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Gator M said:

I lost her income.  I can't collect on her SS.  How is that fair?  My life is harder, I make less, but I pay more? 

Me too, I suspect we all do. Taxes and life aren't "fair."

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Gator:  A lot of us here often find it easier to help out others than to help ourselves; which is why we continue to be a part of this board. We learn from others and support each other. And the beauty of it all is the board is open 24/7.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, Gator M said:

This is killing me...my mornings are abysmal.

Early to mid afternoons are my low points. Hang in there. Remember, we're here 24/7 if you need us.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Besides my wife, when I think of people that left this world too soon, I think of my mother in law. She had a very kind heart. I remember the day she passed away, Chris was naturally very upset; and said, Where are the rewards?” To this day, I remember the words that I said almost instantly: “If you’re looking for rewards, this is not the place where you’ll find them.” Was that statement inspired by the Holy Spirit? I think it was.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, widower2 said:

I don't pretend to put this on the level of what y'all are dealing with, esp those newer to this, but I just found out that a childhood friend, someone I went to K-12 with and had such a crush on growing up, passed away last year. She was such a beautiful person inside and out, much like my beloved. I so hate the unfairness of life. Hey life, how about taking the assholes instead? Wouldn't that make a lot more sense?? 

I am so sorry that yet another beautiful soul is gone from this world, someone you cared about.  It is so hard.  Nothing fair about this life, that is for sure!

6 hours ago, Gator M said:

Satan has a grip on this world

Yes, and he is reigning now, it shows in every facet.  But we know the ending to the story, that gives us hope, not for now, but for later. when God will have dominion and things will change! But for now, sometimes it's really hard to live here...

3 hours ago, RichS said:

I remember the words that I said almost instantly: “If you’re looking for rewards, this is not the place where you’ll find them.” Was that statement inspired by the Holy Spirit? I think it was.

For sure.  Sometimes we need reminded...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Members

Only the good die young. Or that's how it feels to me. I am sorry you lost your friend. 

It seems that the longer we live the more losses we have to carry.

I think our present condition makes us feel the loss more .

• Like 3

• Members

Unfortunately, as we get older, we seem to hear more and more about family, friends and acquaintances passing away. When you think about it, it's been going on since the caveman days. Nothing really new...................

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, RichS said:

Unfortunately, as we get older, we seem to hear more and more about family, friends and acquaintances passing away.

For sure!  George died 18 years ago...I was looking around my church and only 2-3 of them were here when he was!  A lot of them died, some moved or went elsewhere, although not many.

• Hugs 1