Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• foreverhis

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
4 hours ago, Gator M said:

This is for the times when WE/I/ YOU need to vent, gripe, or need support because you hit a wave of grief.

Gator:  I share many of the things that you've got to cope with these days. I suspect most of us on this board do as well. As you say, "It's in God's hands."

My positive for the day is that after visiting TWO eye doctors this morning, they were both pleased with the progress my 94 year old uncle has made since his cataract surgery. My worry is that when he gets his new glasses in two weeks and takes a clearer look at me, he's gonna hide all of my snacks! :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Members

You are right. Some days are just plain bad. I had an anniversary a few weeks ago, unacknowledged by the whole world but me. My mother if she was alive would have given me a card.She would send cards for everything,she kept track of all those dates that were special for other people, she was special.

I didn't understand how important a detail that could be ; until now. I wish I could be as kind  to remember and acknowledge these hard day's for other people. 

• Thanks 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I just learned that the night Iris invited me out to dinner...was her and Mike's anv. I knew it was in June but didn't know when. I asked why she hadn't said something (it was also my George's bdy) she said she didn't want to bawl. And I said that would have been okay, I'd understand. I have it on my calendar now.

Your mom sounds special, mine was always about herself.

• Hugs 2

• Moderators

I'm sorry, maybe take some space from her, if she calls, answer, but I wouldn't go out of my way to bring it on.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Gator M said:

Yeah, happy Father's Day.

If it's any consolation my husband died on it so mine is never very happy. It was the 19th that year so yay, I get to "celebrate" both days.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I think the act of writing what your thinking helps by getting it out, and it helps others by letting them know they are not alone having these horrible emotions. 

+ FYI there is a limit to how many posts you can do in a day. I only reached it once but it felt like being slapped and told to shut up, it was very jarring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
9 hours ago, shawnt said:

+ FYI there is a limit to how many posts you can do in a day. I only reached it once but it felt like being slapped and told to shut up, it was very jarring.

Wow. Didn't know this but I'm glad to know it now.  What is the limit so I know not to do it.  I would have felt slapped & been jarred for sure.

10 hours ago, Gator M said:

You can PM people also.

Like you, my mornings are the pits.  I'm in an "only do what I must" stage.  

Don't know what PM people is.

"Only do what I must" stage seems to be our common denominator.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I have never heard of a limit on posting. Never, not in 18 years.

PM is message...go to your profile and you'll see it.

• Members

It's the morning so I'm having a typical lousy morning.  But I feel I'm sinking lower & lower in this awful emotional state I'm in.  I'm doing everything I can to keep afloat.  Nothing is working.  I'm getting sadder & more despondent every day.  I have no interest in even getting dressed in the morning but I make myself.   I cry constantly.  How can I keep on like this?  I just want Brian to come home.

I know... one day  or hour at a time.  I'm hanging on to that.  But I'm tired.  

Rant....  People keep telling me that "I will get through this".  But getting through this to what?????  Getting through this to do what????  Getting through this to go where????  Eat alone, watch tv alone, walk alone, shop alone, force myself to do things alone, confide my secrets alone, deal with medical issues alone, no hugs, no laughter, no soul mate for that special look......  I know I'll get through this (at least I hope) but what am to trying to get to???  A crummy life alone.  So when I'm told "I will get through this", I just want to yell that I'll get through this to WHAT!!!!!!  A life that I just don't want.

Yup... I'm Debbie Dower today.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
24 minutes ago, Gator M said:

So once we push through this...aloneness is our new normal. At that point everything except salvation is fairly insignificant. 

Looking forward to heaven, myself. In comparison to that, our lives on this earth are only temporary.......................

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Sheilz described my life, but I've gotten pretty used to it. Not sure if that helps.  My puppy is my saving grace.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
1 hour ago, Gator M said:

So once we push through this...aloneness is our new normal.

Why bother then.... trying to push through to a new normal that I don't want, have no interest in & will just be surviving.  Is it worth all the effort to try to keep your head on straight????  Doing things that you need to do to "get through" this such as eating, drinking, support groups, meds, bills, laundry.................  It's exhausting & is it worth it.  I feel like climbing in bed & never getting up but I do just to feel this pain.   All I see is Brian lying there in the garage, his face... all I think about now is his life & how much he still had left to live & things he will be missing.  I can't even focus on all the happiness we had.  Boy oh boy..... life SUX!!!!   

41 minutes ago, RichS said:

Looking forward to heaven, myself.

I'm beginning to doubt everything. 

3 minutes ago, KayC said:

My puppy is my saving grace.

People say I need a pet but I can't even take care of myself yet.  I don't have the energy or the motivation to even think of it.  I hope at some point things turn around for me and at least I'm in a better mind space. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
17 minutes ago, Sheilz said:

I'm beginning to doubt everything. 

One of the many things that I've discovered during this grief journey is that I need to avoid trying to analyze this whole upheaval in my life. And that includes my faith. 
I'm discovering that now is not the time to try to figure out why all of us here are carrying similar, but different crosses.  All our faith is being tested, right now. I kind of think of it as a real bad storm in our lives. It scares us, we don't know how long it's going to last or what damage is done, but when it finally passes. we'll all survive it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
31 minutes ago, Sar123 said:

One last thing that has helped me. I have come to realize how lucky I was to have my husband for 43 years (married for 41 years).

And as bad as I feel these days, I remind myself of how blessed I was (my wife for 44 years (married for 42 years). Problem is, we never want this to end.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
9 hours ago, Gator M said:

I kinda take care of myself so I don't have to go through this debilitated.   (That is a scary thought)

What I miss is the fellowship with someone who understands and accepts me.  Thats why I wish we were all closer. 

That's why I struggle to do the things I need to do to stay a bit healthy, like eat & drink & get some air & sunshine.  I fear that all this sorrow will take it's tole on my body & then what..........  Scary thought for someone alone.

I wish we were all closer also.  We do have a great fellowship here.

9 hours ago, Gator M said:

Try not to focus on why...That becomes painful and fruitless.  Try not to accept guilt that too is destructive. 

Easier said than done. 

9 hours ago, Sar123 said:

Are you on an anti-depressant?

I was just put on an anxiety med.  It might be helping the anxiety because my breathing is better but the sadness & heartbreak are still as raw & painful.

9 hours ago, RichS said:

I remind myself of how blessed I was

Yes we were blessed.  I was blessed 30 years (too short) but blessed nontheless.  I try to keep that thought front & center.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Gator M said:

I'm trying to focus on HOW and WHAT do I do going forward? 

My short answer would be try to keep busy. If you're still working, there's that. Whatever spare time you have try to do something...anything...other than dwell on it (of course easier said than done and there will be those moments). Get together with family/friends, hobbies (existing ones or new ones), take a walk, take a drive, get a pet if you don't have one, even things as simple as movies/TV or yard work IMO beats nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

If my doctor told me I couldn't have my Buspirone (for anxiety) I'd have to find another doctor, even if it meant driving a long ways to do so. It's the safest, mildest anti-anxiety I've found and I want to stay on it for life...it's been 15 years now, no side effects.

Annie, I agree with what you just said. ;)

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
13 hours ago, Sheilz said:

That's why I struggle to do the things I need to do to stay a bit healthy, like eat & drink & get some air & sunshine.  I fear that all this sorrow will take it's tole on my body & then what

I could definitely do a better job in this area. I often lack the motivation beyond "going through the motions" everyday. Depression causes me to snack more than I should. Plus, the good ol' metabolism slows down as you age. UGH!! If I were playing softball again that would motivate me; but I can't because I need a knee operation. Can't get the knee operation because I'm the only person that can drive; and I'll be restricted for a few weeks.

As I say this, please, no sympathies. Why? After reading all kinds of situations on this board for the past six months, I have less to complain about than most of you.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
15 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Even if you only take the Ativan for a week, if it gives your mind and body a rest and a break, it could be very helpful.

Going to give it a try.  Started today.  Will try it for a couple days & then go from there.  Maybe I'll want to do it for a week like the doctor suggested.

• Hugs 4

• Members
21 minutes ago, Sar123 said:

I thought I was adjusting to this unwanted path I’ve been thrown on, but as the fog starts to clear, I’m really not. It’s almost like I’m at where I was last winter.

I think all of us have days like you've had today. In fact, I wasn't feeling too happy myself today. Felt like I was backsliding a little. Sometimes a simple thing will trigger a grief moment. It seems like grieving follows an uneven pattern. Some days you feel like you're beginning to adjust to your new normal. Other days you find it hard to accept. Continue to post your feelings on this board. There are great helpful folks here who will help you to cope.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
12 hours ago, RichS said:

. Some days you feel like you're beginning to adjust to your new normal. Other days you find it hard to accept

I will remember your words. They will help me get through the days when I struggle with the grief and that I’m still adjusting to this unwanted new normal.

12 hours ago, Gator M said:

As soon as I hang up the phone or leave someone's house...BAM...I'm right back in it.

Thanks for understanding. I’m hoping for a better day. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Gator is right, coming off the shock, long before any clarity returns, we have brain fog, widows brain, grief fog, whatever you want to call it, and it's real.  I don't think my focus was ever fully 100% since, but some of my brain returned, thankfully.  It can take a long while.  I figure I'm okay if I can do my tasks, still work my budget and file taxes...

• Like 3

• Members
6 hours ago, Gator M said:

Part of mine is the uncertainty of my home and financial situation.  Not knowing drains all my energy.

That's my problem too.  It's all the uncertainty.  Can I keep the house going, physically & financially.  If not, where do I move.  How the heck can I pack up a house full of 30 years of memories all by myself.  And again... where would I go.  Still alone.  

9 hours ago, KayC said:

brain fog, widows brain, grief fog, whatever you want to call it, and it's real.

That's for sure..... it's real.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I am very glad I kept putting one foot in front of the other during those dark, lost years.

I talked to someone suicidal yesterday, he's young.  I'm trying to get him to consider giving life a chance...his GF broke up with him while grieving.  It's so important to give ourselves ample time to see this through to the other side so we can see a bit of a life emerge even though not the same.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
7 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I really do think our brains have suffered a traumatic injury in the experience of losing our beloved.  We have difficulty making decisions, difficulty sleeping, difficulty controlling our emotions.  Our brains are just not functioning well. 

Exactly how I feel.  I feel as if I had a brain injury & I'm struggling to recover.  But there is no doctor, med, physical therapy... nothing to help you through it.  It's invisible to people, so you must struggle alone.  So I just wonder if I will get better.  Deep in my mind, I know I don't have a choice & that I will either die grieving or go on living.  Either way... I don't care right now.  But posts like this give me hope.  I want to be a good productive person during my time left.  You do give me hope.  Thank you for this post.

7 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Give yourself time. Let your brain heal.  

Trying my hardest.  Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

@Gator M 
I hear ya. One week ago today was our anniversary. It would have been 21 years. The first one without Suzy. It was a tough day for sure. A year ago on our 20th we had our anniversary dinner in a hospital. My mind was flooded with our wedding day memories. Good memories. Still just a downer of a day overall.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Wavesnsky said:

One week ago today was our anniversary.

And that is really rough. :wub:

• Like 1

• Members
On 6/26/2023 at 7:57 AM, Gator M said:

Not knowing drains all my energy. 

@Gator M  Gator I hear you.  It's the uncertainty that p1ss3s me off the most - aside from the heartlessness.

I'm STILL waiting for those a$$h0l3s at the insurance company to pay out a policy that my wife had through her employer. I've been waiting for 2 YEARS and 2 MONTHS.  They have ALL the paperwork. Every piece of documentation has been signed, stamped, authenticated, translated.  There is nothing left to do except for them to pay out the policy.  Ironic that the very thing an insurance company is supposed to do is the very thing they stall on doing.

It's a heavy psychological burden.  I cannot step forward till this is settled.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, Jemiga70 said:

I've been waiting for 2 YEARS and 2 MONTHS.  They have ALL the paperwork. Every piece of documentation has been signed, stamped, authenticated, translated. 

That's ridiculous! Having to wait for over two years. Have you contacted the Insurance Commissioners Office in your state?

• Like 2

• Members
8 hours ago, RichS said:

Having to wait for over two years. Have you contacted the Insurance Commissioners Office in your state?

Thanks @RichS  but I don't live in the States and the insurance company is based in Asia.  I am confident it will get paid - eventually - but it's absolutely disgusting that it should take this long.  These companies and systems do not care one iota about the human aspect.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

It's horrible. They haven't paid out on my sister's estate either, sitting on some judge's desk for months, house sold Jan. 6.  Kids all waiting for their share, nope!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Gail:  We here are all sorry for your loss. I'm sure you will be a comfort to your Sister In Law and her family; just as they've been a comfort to you. Prayers are with you.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2