Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my wife.

KMkm

• Members
7 hours ago, KMkm said:

I'll work til the day I die.

I agree with what Kay said. We're all struggling with our losses; and God has a plan for each one of us (which usually requires some pain and/or sacrifice). Knowing that, we have to continue on, especially if we have have those who depend on us. As for working, I've worked with some folks who've thrown themselves into their jobs. It didn't take me long to realize that they were trying to avoid some painful experiences in their lives. By doing that over a period of time, they often experienced more illness (physical and mental). It can be a form of self-destruction.

I along with others on this board have tried to comfort you with our friendship and advised you with our own experiences. That is all any of us can expect from each other. Regarding your situation, I've probably shared my opinion to the point where if I go any further, I'll be stepping out of bounds. Others may continue to offer advice, but I decided that I've said enough. In fact, re-read everyone else's posts (except mine) from the beginning of this thread to the present and see if you can possibly change your feelings on your situation. This is my last post on this thread. At this point, my prayers are with you and your kids.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• KMkm

• RichS

• Scott56

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
10 hours ago, KMkm said:
10 hours ago, KMkm said:

I can work hard but grief is different for everyone.  The pain in my head and heart sometimes makes me feel like I can't take it.  Pills and talking don't help and I just really find myself thinking about myself and no one else.  When that happens I feel worse cause my kids do need me but like i said the pain is sometimes unbearable.  Many of you want to be happy and find reasons to live.  I don't.  I'm done wanting to be happy or find something to live for.  I don't care anymore.  Why do I need to find happiness when it can be ripped away from me again to just have to go through this again.  I'll work til the day I die.  My kids will grow up with or without me.  Time still passes and the world keeps going.  I don't want or need to relax or have fun, all I'm going to do is work and hopefully die suddenly.  I know that sucks and I'm a awful person to put all this on my kids and family.  Nothing will change unless I want to change....I just don't want to.

Kkm, I understand the pain you’re experiencing, I don’t understand the need to punish yourself. Any one of us can die at any time, that is why we are supposed to make the most of each day.You got to experience love , start a family and share that with someone that most likely adored you. That is so much more than others get to experience in a lifetime.  

My days are often painful , I get very sad at times but I still look for good and cherish the happy moments or the calm moments. If I didn’t push on and try and stay positive I know my wife would be very disappointed and turn her back to me when I get to see her again. The thought of letting her down hurts me physically after what happened to her.

I think Rich S had the best advice to re read all you have been through. I hope you can find your way.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Scott56 said:

If I didn’t push on and try and stay positive I know my wife would be very disappointed and turn her back to me when I get to see her again.

George would never do that.  He'd be the first to understand me.  I do this for me.

• Like 3

• Members

I was just suggesting that if he can’t do it for him he can do it to honor her.Gonna stop now, always gonna upset someone and that wasn’t my intent. 

• Hugs 2

• Members

I don’t post on here often, I’m more of a silent observer, but I feel like on this one I can’t just say nothing. I thought this forum was a judgement free zone. We’re all here because we lost our partner. People come here to feel validated in their feelings. They come here to vent because every single person here can understand. I’ve seen people post their highs, they’ve posted their lows, they share recipes and songs, they share aspects of their life, I’ve seen it all. @RichS I don’t agree with the end of your post. While I understand everyone has an opinion to me that came across like you were judging him. Everyone grieves differently. But at the end of the day he lost his wife just like you lost yours. He was trying to express his feelings and you pretty much said well myself and others have tried, I’m over it, good luck. At least that’s how it came across to me. What @KMkm was expressing is no different than other people consistently talking about waiting for the rapture to take them in every single post (no offense). I feel like if you were going to say this is my last post good luck maybe you shouldn’t have posted at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

@Scott56 I am sorry if I made you feel that way.  Try not to personalize if someone looks at something from a different angle, it's not an attack by any means, just because I look at things differently, that's just me.

And Rich, I also felt there's no need to say you won't post here again, just leave off with it but not necessary to say it.

• Like 1

• Members
6 minutes ago, KayC said:

And Rich, I also felt there's no need to say you won't post here again, just leave off with it but not necessary to say it.

Kay------in looking at that statement, yes, I should have not said "I'm done posting on this thread." I should have simply stopped right before saying that and simply not posted without saying anything. My apologies............

38 minutes ago, Amburr said:

I don’t agree with the end of your post.

Amburr:  I apologize if I offended you or anyone else on this thread. As I mentioned to Kay above, I should have simply stopped right before saying that and simply not posted without saying anything.

YOU NEVER STOP LEARNING FROM YOUR MISTAKES............

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

@RichS , I really like you and have never disagreed with you, but I did feel at the time perhaps it was better left unsaid.  Always good to learn, myself included!

• Members

It seems to me there's a fine line between being judgemental and putting up boundaries. The first is uncalled for, the second a necessity  for true compassion. I felt Rich was doing the latter, but admittedly the wording was somewhat unfortunate. Ah, the pitfalls of communication... 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I feel this way cause I probably have a mental illness.  I don't think many people like working everyday.  I need to work and it has been this way for almost 2 decades.  I feel that people have one point they stand behind.  Everyone needs to or has to live.  Does everyone need to want the same thing...I don't think so.  I have learned that I need to be here, as well as I don't need to be happy, I don't need to be in another relationship, nor do I need to figure out why I would rather be dead.  People tell me I need to take care of myself but the same people don't follow their own advice.  I worked for the railway so not eating all day, or sleeping more than a few hours for weeks is what I'm used to.  I don't ask for help as often as I should nor do I want help since when I need it the most no one is around.  I'm 46 years old, I can go without eating for days, I can hold my breath for more than 3 minutes, I can push myself so hard I almost pass out.  So in my eyes my body is more than capable enough to handle more than the people telling me to take care of myself.  I post on here cause I wrote down what I feel.  I don't need advice I just people to listen.  Also I'm not stating these things to have people tell me that those things don't matter.  I know they don't but my mind is broken and like the most durable thing if one part fails well nothing works.  If most people don't know what I'm talking about its like fighting yourself in your own head.  I scream at myself thinking how useless and lazy I am but the other voice is telling me that I'm strong and capable.  Most days I wish I wasn't here not because I don't want to...its more that I don't deserve it.  That's why I punish myself more than a lot of people realize.  Pain quiets the voices.  This will be my last post.  I hope that people can find words of comfort in this post.  I'm not giving up I'm just done posting.  Thank you to all who have read.  

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KMkm said:

This will be my last post. 

I hate to hear that, you've been a regular here and posting gives vent (and audience) to our feelings, which DO matter! I hope you will change your mind.

• Like 3

• Members

KMkm i understand your pain...your words are full of pain!

We can understand...sometimes seems impossible overcome that pain! Please be kind to yourself, what's happened is not your fault...you don't have to punish yourself!

How painful it is it's life...it's happened to all of us!

Please keep post here, we can help each other, you  can say everything you have in your mind...we understand!

Take care of yourself hugs Roxi

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
8 hours ago, KMkm said:

I feel this way cause I probably have a mental illness.  I don't think many people like working everyday.  I need to work and it has been this way for almost 2 decades.  I feel that people have one point they stand behind.  Everyone needs to or has to live.  Does everyone need to want the same thing...I don't think so.  I have learned that I need to be here, as well as I don't need to be happy, I don't need to be in another relationship, nor do I need to figure out why I would rather be dead.  People tell me I need to take care of myself but the same people don't follow their own advice.  I worked for the railway so not eating all day, or sleeping more than a few hours for weeks is what I'm used to.  I don't ask for help as often as I should nor do I want help since when I need it the most no one is around.  I'm 46 years old, I can go without eating for days, I can hold my breath for more than 3 minutes, I can push myself so hard I almost pass out.  So in my eyes my body is more than capable enough to handle more than the people telling me to take care of myself.  I post on here cause I wrote down what I feel.  I don't need advice I just people to listen.  Also I'm not stating these things to have people tell me that those things don't matter.  I know they don't but my mind is broken and like the most durable thing if one part fails well nothing works.  If most people don't know what I'm talking about its like fighting yourself in your own head.  I scream at myself thinking how useless and lazy I am but the other voice is telling me that I'm strong and capable.  Most days I wish I wasn't here not because I don't want to...its more that I don't deserve it.  That's why I punish myself more than a lot of people realize.  Pain quiets the voices.  This will be my last post.  I hope that people can find words of comfort in this post.  I'm not giving up I'm just done posting.  Thank you to all who have read.  

Good luck Kyle , I hope you find some peace. You have my info so don’t hesitate to contact me if you ever feel like talking. 

• Like 3

• Members
2 hours ago, KMkm said:

hopefully my journey can still inspire others to know there is definitely going to be times that test you and push you to the edge but those are the times we find out who we are and what we can endure. 

KMkm:  I can tell you this much:  your post expressed so much of my feelings. More than I have expressed in my last 500 posts. Yesterday afternoon, the dark clouds of depression paid me another visit. By late in the evening I decided that I had to start changing things in the morning. First and foremost was finding the time to pray; something which I haven't done enough of lately (hopefully they won't delete this post because of the topic). Reading your "testimony" which was the second uplifting experience I've had this morning. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! I hope to catch up to you someday in my grieving journey.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I have no idea why you'd feel you'd get criticized/judgment for your post, it's beautiful, thank you for sharing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

KMkm, Good post, 

11 hours ago, KMkm said:

Pain and suffering is not and I repeat not a reason to give up.

Amen

• Like 4

• Members

KMkm: Once again, another well written response on how we should live our lives after losing our partners. Of the things that you mentioned, I have so much progress to make in all of them. I'll probably spend the rest of my life working on them.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/25/2024 at 10:36 PM, KMkm said:

I live life with meaning.  It may not be like most people do.  I believe in previous posts I may sound like I go from wanting live to not wanting to be here.  It's hard going through the highs and lows.  I really never know what each day will bring.  But the thing that everyday has in common is that I have to fight through each one.  I want to give up so badly that it hurts.  I want to say goodbye to the pain, depression and despair.  But saying goodbye means that I have to leave behind my kids, family and friends.  The pain that I live with isn't gone, it's passed to the ones that love me.  I can't make others feel worse, my wife would never want that.  She needs me to fight if it takes every day, every ounce of my being.  I might tell everyone I want to die and I might tell everyone that I can't handle this but what I want isn't important til I find a way to be happy.  I hope everyone understands that my journey isn't like anyone else's nor will it ever be.  Thanks for reading and if I can keep going than I pray you can too.  Stay Strong my friends.

Hey KMkm I give you a lot of credit for not giving up the fight to live despite all of the pain and agony you are going thru. I survive day by day and don’t think too far into the future cuz I don’t know what is to become of me. I am thankful to God for allowing me to wake up everyday and have another chance at life. I don’t have a clue or how to begin finding a way to be happy.  The only reason I’m still here is because I have my daughter and my beloved cat to live for.  It takes balls to live and it takes a lot more balls for a person to commit suicide.  I hope you that you are able to have peace and happiness in your life. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
1 hour ago, KMkm said:

I heard something today.  Growing old is a gift. I sometimes forget that.  When my wife passed away I thought my life was over and I was destined to be miserable the rest of my life.  I'm starting to believe that my destiny is more about learning to live for myself.  I spent my marriage trying to work and make my wife and my kids lives easier.  I spent it hiding from life because I never thought I deserved it. My late wife tried to get me to slow down  and enjoy what was right in front of me.  I regret so much not spending time with her and my kids.  I regret so much and it kills me to think about how much I missed.  But again growing old is a gift.  It's something to celebrate and everyone knows that saying goodbye isn't about the end.  It's about where you are now, where would I be if I never had her in my life.  I am so blessed to have met my wife.  I now realize that life is hard, loss is hard but it's beautiful.  Suffering a great loss is an emotion no one wants to endure. Loss is life but it doesn't mean we must let that pain overshadow love.  I loved and will continue to love my wife til I die.  I'll be ok and I'll live and love again.  My wife gave me her love and I'll keep that forever.  But I want to share my love and my ability to help others.  Never give up.  Never give into the pain.  Life is hard and you know what...it should be because it's worth it.  Stay strong my friends.

Hey KMkm you are right that growing old is a gift.  I’m grateful just to be able to wake up everyday and have another day at life. I don’t know where I’d be if I never met my husband.  He loved me unconditionally for all of me like no other man had ever did. I will forever carry the love he had for me and all of the memories we shared together in my heart. He was only 57 yo when he died and I still feel we were cheated out of our forever and we didn’t get to grow old together. 

It’s just me, my daughter, my cat and her dog all living under one roof.  Life seems hard for me cuz I have anxiety and major depressive disorder both of which rule my emotions and feelings with an iron fist.  

I have to learn how overcome my depression and anxiety cuz it’s been interfering with my day to day life cuz I don’t do anything around the house, I don’t have a daily routine or a regular sleep schedule, I don’t eat right or exercise daily and I stopped cooking meals.  All I do is lay in my bed all day and watch tv, eat something quick and easy and walk the dog 2x’s per day then its back to laying in my bed.  This is how I’ve been living for the past 4 years since my husband died.  I’m not living a healthy lifestyle and know I must make significant changes to improve my physical health and my mental health so my quality of life will improve so I can be a productive person who has a daily routine and that I can maintain my household duties again as well as thinking and feeling positively about myself and my life.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/26/2024 at 9:57 AM, RichS said:

Same feelings, here. If it weren't for Ross I'd be ready to check out of this place. So, I will continue on until the man upstairs calls me (which I hope is not for a long while)..................

If it wasn’t for having my daughter and my beloved cat in my life, I too would be ready to check out of this place.  I hope that I am able to live a long and healthy life (preferably to age 90-95) until God decides to take me. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/26/2024 at 4:09 AM, KayC said:

It makes perfect sense to me.  A part of me would want to go if it weren't for my Kodie puppy, but another part of me wants to see what good there is in today...and thus I've kept going for over 18 1/2 years now.  I can't believe it's been that long!  And I realize the rest of my life is like a vapor that appears for a time and then passes...away.

Our beloved pets keep us going cuz they depend on us for their every need.
I commend you for keeping it going for 18 1/2 years; what is your secret to your success? Can you post some of things you have done to live a new life for yourself? Your input would be very helpful to me cuz I’m still stuck at how I’m supposed to build a new life for myself. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, KMkm said:

Growing old is a gift.

I love this.  Sometimes it seems a curse, when George died I knew I likely had 40 years to do without him...that fed anxiety.  I've learned to do one day at a time, and I love remembering that growing old is a GIFT!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

You quoted as if it was me saying it but it was a quote within my post, it doesn't show that.

Nonetheless, I am a little torn by that statement, like I said, sometimes it feels like a curse that we live to be so old, esp. since I truly am alone, no kids nearby or siblings.  But I try to look at it as a gift, it's something I work on.  I try to take on each day as it comes.

Yesterday my sunday school teacher responded rather offbeat to my way of looking at it...we're to get high winds this week in our county...they haven't yet restored everyone's power from the LAST storm and those rural wait the longest, they give more attention to outages affecting a lot of people.  A friend of mine is waiting until 2/6 to get his restored, that will make 3 1/2 weeks out for him...no food or water, on a well you don't have anything.  Now they say the new outages could push THAT date back!  The teacher responded (when I asked for prayer about it):  "They've done w/o for centuries, blah blah blah..."  Okay, let's see HIM go without!  That'd be a different story!  As far away as I live from town it'd be a huge hardship.  And I can't eat everything others eat.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
6 hours ago, KayC said:

we're to get high winds this week in our county...they haven't yet restored everyone's power from the LAST storm and those rural wait the longest, they give more attention to outages affecting a lot of people.  A friend of mine is waiting until 2/6 to get his restored, that will make 3 1/2 weeks out for him...no food or water, on a well you don't have anything.  Now they say the new outages could push THAT date back!  The teacher responded (when I asked for prayer about it):  "They've done w/o for centuries, blah blah blah..." 

??  Who is "they"?  People in general?  And they managed to live without food and water for centuries?

• Like 2

• Moderators

"They" in this instance is referring to the power companies.  I assumed you'd all realize that.

4 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

And they managed to live without food and water for centuries?

That's why I thought it an off comment.

• Like 1

• Members
HisMunchkin
4 hours ago, KayC said:

"They" in this instance is referring to the power companies.  I assumed you'd all realize that.

I was actually trying to make a joke, but then I just realized that I really did misunderstand the meaning of "they".  I thought the teacher meant that "They (people living in rural areas?) have done w/o (electricity) for centuries".  And then I was mocking that comment as if they were saying that the people managed to live without food and water for centuries, which is ridiculous. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
On 1/29/2024 at 6:31 PM, HisMunchkin said:

I was actually trying to make a joke, but then I just realized that I really did misunderstand the meaning of "they".  I thought the teacher meant that "They (people living in rural areas?) have done w/o (electricity) for centuries".  And then I was mocking that comment as if they were saying that the people managed to live without food and water for centuries, which is ridiculous. 

That IS what he said, and I thought it extremely off and a less that stellar response to my prayer request.

1 hour ago, KMkm said:

I live in a place where the winters go to -40

As soon as you said that I knew you were going to say Canada, I have another friend that lives there and he has the same.  

• Like 2

• Members
1 hour ago, KMkm said:

One thing I will say is that I depend too much on friendly communication.  I mean that I try to message or talk to others that I consider friends but their lives are busy and I turn to my phone anxiously waiting for someone to respond and it's hard to see my phone has no new messages.  I then find myself getting sad just for that.

All of us on this board are here when the phone gets quiet. I think you know that............................

• Like 3

• Moderators

It made me think of this old song:

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Ah yes, "HELLO DARKNESS, MY OLD FRIEND. I'VE COME TO TALK WITH YOU AGAIN." These words come to mind when depression (mostly from grieving) starts setting in. The Beach Boys, "Til I Die" reminds me of this song. Neither song is cheerful (IMO) and can only be appreciated if you happen to be in a dark place, emotionally; which I hope is infrequently as possible, FOR ALL OF US.

There's no right or wrong way to feel about ANY SONG. This is just my two cents worth about these two songs.

• Like 3