Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of an Adult Child

momofJustin

• Members

Micheal, Micheal, Micheal-Please send your mom a little sign to let her know you are near her in spirit. Fly high today...

Trudi-I hope you were able to find some peace today at the river. Sending you hugs across the ocean...

Amy/Ashley's mom

• Replies 68.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ericasmom

• Mermaid Tears

• daveydow1

• shorty16

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Amy, so good to see you tonight. Sherry nice to see you as well.. I wonder how Lynn is, how Maryanne is, how Leah and Pam and so many are. Betty, it was wonderful to see you too today.

Peace

• Members

MICHEAL, MICHEAL, MICHEAL....You sweet Angel who left this world way too soon but the life you lived remains alive inside your beautiful mum....I know she will feel your presence today as she and Lauren share the bubbly, remembering, laughing, crying...Fly high among the stars.

Trudi - my sweet, dear friend....holding you close on this day - hugs

• Members

Becky - what a beautiful poem in honor of your JD, love, love the pics....thank you for sharing

Carol - I do not torment myself anymore about "what I can do nothing about" .... but the thoughts creep in no matter how hard you try to avoid them....Yes, when we meet again I will know but it will not matter. Hugs to you my friend

Love, Strength and peace to all, Kathy

• Members

I hope that Everyone has a good day. Good morning.

• Guests

Remembering Rich and what this day means to your mom. It may have been your brightest of days, I hope it was, but it was her darkest. Please let your presence be known to her.

post-285768-0-49144500-1326893486_thumb.

• Members

Rich

Rich

Rich

Rich

Rich

Rich

Rich

Betsy, Thinking of you today as the Angels sing Rich's song.

Colleen

• Members

Here is a beautiful poem,

Footsteps of Angels

When the hours of Day are numbered,

And the voices of the Night

Wake the better soul, that slumbered,

To a holy, calm delight;

Ere the evening lamps are lighted,

And, like phantoms grim and tall,

Shadows from the fitful firelight

Dance upon the parlor wall;

Then the forms of the departed

Enter at the open door;

The beloved, the true-hearted,

Come to visit me once more;

He, the young and strong, who cherished

Noble longings for the strife,

By the roadside fell and perished,

Weary with the march of life!

They, the holy ones and weakly,

Who the cross of suffering bore,

Folded their pale hands so meekly,

Spake with us on earth no more!

And with them the Being Beauteous,

Who unto my youth was given,

More than all things else to love me,

And is now a saint in heaven.

With a slow and noiseless footstep

Comes that messenger divine,

Takes the vacant chair beside me,

Lays her gentle hand in mine.

And she sits and gazes at me

With those deep and tender eyes,

Like the stars, so still and saint-like,

Looking downward from the skies.

Uttered not, yet comprehended,

Is the spirit's voiceless prayer,

Soft rebukes, in blessings ended,

Breathing from her lips of air.

Oh, though oft depressed and lonely,

All my fears are laid aside,

If I but remember only

Such as these have lived and died!

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow </B>

• Members

Greg-That is a beautiful poem and made me cry as usual.

Sherry-I am glad to see you back. Computer problems are terrible for me as the least technical person ever.

Becky-I hope your birthday is kind to you and you feel your boy close by in spirit.

Kathy-Knowing that they were alone is very hard and I wonder often how different I would feel if I had known he was going to leave us. I have no answers, only questions.

Dee-I hope you're feeling better soon. I read about Eri, she was an amazing person.

Lorri-I hope you're feeling better too, and happy with your results so you don't have to go through it again.

I haven't been posting much, it seems the days get away from me. I've been reading Elizabeth Edwards book Saving Graces. When her son Wade died in 1996, she went to an online grief group, alt.grief or something like that. I didn't even know these kind of groups were around then. Some of the book is about the political stuff, but the parts about her son and her family could have mostly been written by any of us. He was 16 when he died, and her daughter was 14, but they went on to have two more children. I have the other book she wrote Resilience, I think its called, but I haven't gotten to it yet. My friend Jenny loaned them to me. January is hard for her too as Jeremy's birthday is Jan 20, 1977 and he died Jan 4, 2000. She is a good friend and the boys are buried in the same cemetery. I usually stop and check Jeremy's stuff to be sure its up right, since she doesn't go as much as she used to. She had hip replacement in Dec, but is doing well.

Tomorrow would have been Westley's 23rd birthday. After last Friday, when I sat and cried most of the day, I'm not sure that I will take off work tomorrow. It is hard to believe that he has missed 3 of his birthdays. I wonder what he would be doing now if he was here, and I cry because he is not.

My heart to you all.

• Members

RICH RICH RICH-Let your Mom and Sarah feel your presence especially today.

Betsy-I hope that you feel him close by you today and always.

• Members

Trudi-I'm sorry I kind of missed Mike's day at least where you are which is where it matters. I hope that you had a good day and enjoyed the bubbly.

MIKE MIKE MIKE-You are always loved and missed.

• Members

Here is a beautiful poem,

Footsteps of Angels

When the hours of Day are numbered,

And the voices of the Night

Wake the better soul, that slumbered,

To a holy, calm delight;

Ere the evening lamps are lighted,

And, like phantoms grim and tall,

Shadows from the fitful firelight

Dance upon the parlor wall;

Then the forms of the departed

Enter at the open door;

The beloved, the true-hearted,

Come to visit me once more;

He, the young and strong, who cherished

Noble longings for the strife,

By the roadside fell and perished,

Weary with the march of life!

They, the holy ones and weakly,

Who the cross of suffering bore,

Folded their pale hands so meekly,

Spake with us on earth no more!

And with them the Being Beauteous,

Who unto my youth was given,

More than all things else to love me,

And is now a saint in heaven.

With a slow and noiseless footstep

Comes that messenger divine,

Takes the vacant chair beside me,

Lays her gentle hand in mine.

And she sits and gazes at me

With those deep and tender eyes,

Like the stars, so still and saint-like,

Looking downward from the skies.

Uttered not, yet comprehended,

Is the spirit's voiceless prayer,

Soft rebukes, in blessings ended,

Breathing from her lips of air.

Oh, though oft depressed and lonely,

All my fears are laid aside,

If I but remember only

Such as these have lived and died!

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow </B>

Thank you for posting this poem. It is absolutely beautiful.

• Members
Brendan's Daddy

Hi all. Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I wish I could be on this site more often, however it has been so hard for me to read some of the posts. Sometimes it makes me feel like I am back to 12 months ago posting those same things. I think of you all every day and pray for you all often. I appreciate so much what you have done for me to help me try to get through this storm. I hope you all know how much you are all appreciated. Has anybody heard from CJ lately? I was just curious since I have not seen any posts from him in quite a while. I hope he is doing ok. Michele is now 30 weeks pregnant, we are expecting a little boy in around 9 weeks. I hope you are all hanging in there.

Brendan's Daddy - Tony

I am sure this song has been posted, but it is my favorite song out there right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGPS8sa-bRQ

• Members

Tony, it is so understandable as to not being here as regularly as you were in the very earliest days. I am so happy to read that Michelle is 30 weeks along now, you have all worked so very hard to get to this day, and to the next. Brendan smiles on all of your efforts, you will always be his family, new members and those he already knew. No matter, he is the Big Bro.

Peace Tony. I also wondered about CJ, hope all is okay with him. It is such a hard journey, we can only take the steps we do and hope that others are able to take their steps.

• Members

Love the poem Greg and the song Tony. Lorri, you okay now?

• Members

IM GONNA B FINE. JUST NEED TIME. HOW R U IS THE QUESTION

• Members

Rich, Rich, Rich...Send your mom and your sister a sign to let them know you are near...

Betsy-Hope you were able to find some peace today as you remember your sweet boy...

Amy/Ashley's mom

• Members

Dee-Hope everything is ok...

Rhonda-I'll be thinking of you on Westley's birthday tomorrow. Whether you work or stay home, try to remember all the joy and love Westley brought to your life. He wants you to be happy, not sad, although I know that is easier said than done.

Amy/Ashley's mom

• Members
Littletenderness

Hello, I'm Laura's mother LT. Laura was smashed into by a drunk and drugged driver April 20th 2003, She died four hours later on the 21st April after suffering the most horrendous injuries. She was 23 and such a talented wonderful girl. I feel as if I died to on that day and know I cannot recover from her loss but have learnt to live alongside it, just about. I an so relieved to be able to come here and read about other peoples reactions to their losses for which I am truly, truly sorry....it just helps to know I am not losing my sanity trying to cope with the mind numbing sadness and to be with people who just know I am not 'hanging on to the grief' or 'wallowing in it' Here I feel normal, thankyou.

• Members

Thank you DAN. Beautiful and so much a picture of where I think Rich is. Or at a concert.Or working on a car. or...:rolleyes:

Amy, Susannah,Carol,Dee,Rhonda,Colleen,Betty, I see Rich in the sun as it is reflected on the water. I feel him in the cold wind blowing which makes me feel more alive. Kind of a “ snap out of it Mom”!

Kate, I will do some mapquesting to get a better view of your land/country? I was thinking of Vancouver, BC. I wanted to go to the Olympics. The airfare was something like 5 mil . :blink:

Greg, beautiful poem.

Birthday lady Becky, I can't say happy only because I know you aren't. My son died on Sherry’s Daveys birthday. Such is life and death.Don't feel bad on your birthday. Great pictures ! What program do you use?

Rhonda, its hard to know what to say when thoughts and memories are so bittersweet . May you smile at the joy of Westley's life and may your heart feel the warmth of your forever love for him.

post-278995-0-68001900-1326929681_thumb.

• Members

It's been a month or therebouts I don't know the "official " date of death let alone the "ofifcial" cause of death. Just before Christmas we lost you and just before your older brothers Birthday we laid you to rest.

I love you sweet Amber Rose I miss you more than words can ever explain and the pain is beyond any words known to the human race....

I Want

it's been a month ..

the world looks so different without you here

time has no real meaning anymore

I feel like an alien

I no longer fit in , not that I ever did

friends I thought I had treat me like I have the plaque

yet in some weird way the new friends give more comfort

I don't want to be part of this "club"

please I beg revoke my membership

the cost is is far too high

My child should be on Earth not watching from the sky

I can still smell you

Feel your hand upon my back comforting me

"It will be OK momma" or hearing you say ..

"I'm happy now"

The constant vision I see in my head

I think is from you

A beautiful young woman all aglow

in the clouds a smile beyond compare

that famous forties hair style

a simple yet so elegant wedding dress

that's all I see..

I have to believe it's your way of comforting me

I can't say Goodbye I can't say Rest In Peace

I can only say till we meet again

A huge piece of me died with you

a piece that will never be replaced or repaired

yet forever you will be in my heart

or what's left of it anyway

I may put on a "face" I may appear to be the same

yet we all know this is driving me insane

all our lives forever changed that day

I wish we could go back in time

and chnage this fate ..

forever will there be an emptiness in me

The world looks so different without you here

Time has no real meaning anymore

I feel like an alien

and my heart is breaking over and over again ...

BiggaBigga love momma

post-298012-0-27651600-1326929862_thumb.

• Members

michael, micheal, michael.....saying your name outloud and hoping that you brought your mom and family a smile today.

only angel kisses will do today.....blessings to you, trudi.

• Members

rich, rich, rich, rich......angel kisses to your mom today. let her feel your presence today. touch her with your angel wings and know you

are near. hugs to you betsy.....

• Members

RICH, RICH, RICH......I KNOW THAT YOU WERE CLOSE TO YOUR FAMILY TODAY LETTING THEM KNOW YOU ARE HERE ALTHOUGH NOT SEEN YOU ARE FELT IN SO MANY OTHER WAYS....SHINE AMONG THE STARS AND FLY HIGH ABOVE THE MOON..... THINKING OF YOU SWEET BETSY...HUGS

• Members

becky, i know your angel was with you on your birthday today....i hope you felt him with you today.....he was there. happy birthday.....

• Members

LT - I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful daughter Laura....No you are not holding on to your grief, it will always be with you yet we do learn to live with it as best we can. We lost our beautiful daughter Jessica at age 26 from ARVD (sudden death by heart attack) on Feb 18, 2006 and I still grieve, always will but it is softer.....life is never the same, how could it possibly be after losing a child....but the new life we find honors our child as we speak their names and keep their memories alive. I hope that you stay with us and tell us more about your Laura and yourself.....love that you found your way here but as always my heart breaks as to the why you are here....

Tony - good to hear from you and so happy that the "new one" is on his way.....It is ok to take a break from here just as we need to take a break from every day life on this journey we walk. I hope that you can stop in now and again to let us know how you are and def let us know when the new one arrives and as Dee said he will always have a Big Bro....Hugs to you and yours

So many beautiful poems and songs.....thank you so much for sharing and once again Dan you bring comfort to those enduring the "angelversary" of their child.....

A pic of my girl when she was about 3....Love and miss you my sweet girl......always your mom

post-271859-0-13844000-1326936506_thumb.

• Members

Yikes.......so much catching up to do.......so I will start right in.

Belovedson mom-----I'm so sorry for your loss of your dear son, Mikey. I hope you will come back to this site

and post/read as you feel like doing so. Everyone here knows the pain & sorrow of losing a beloved child,

and we all understand. Prayers.

Laurasmom----I'm sorry for your dear daughter, Laura's passing, due to a drunk driver. This must be

especially heartbreaking because it was due to another person's negligence and fault. Keep coming

here to this site. We welcome all who have lost a child, or loved one.

AmberRose's mom------I hope that you can keep coming to Beyond Indigo (as it was formerly called),

and post your thoughts. I'm so sorry for your loss.

MICHEAL.........MICHEAL.....MICHEAL...........SAYING YOUR NAME AND REMEMBERING YOU TODAY.

Peace to you, Trudi.

Rhonda-----Thoughts & prayers for you and Jeremy's mother, your friend..... Two mothers

of two angels.

Dee-----The books you mentioned sound like good reads. Right now, I am reading three different novels

at the same time, so am a bit tied up with them, but will try to get the ones you mentioned. Big storm

moving into your area from the Northwest, I hear on the news.......so it will no doubt hit here after that.

Get set !!!! ;) (but I know people in Chicagoland are used to these wild winter storms).:blink:

Becky----- Love your Beautiful tribute to JD.

Kathy------I, so , understand your pain about Jessica dying without your being beside her. I, too, did not

have a chance to be with David when he died. While it's true that we are haunted by the fact that we

could not have been there when they died........you said that you might not have been able to let her go.

I ,so, identify with that. It's painful to think of,.....I know.

Carol------Prayers for Mike and his chemo treatments, and prayers for your entire family.

RICH----RICH----RICH-----SMILE DOWN ON YOUR MOM AND FAMILY TODAY FROM YOUR HEAVENLY HOME.

Betsy----Thanks for mentioning to your friend about drowsy/fatigued driving. You're right-----drowsy/sleepy

driving is NOT driving at all. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR RICH. GOD BLESS YOU.

Kate------Thanks friend.......I'm doing ok, and hope that you are doing ok also.

Colleen-----I agree with you.......seeing the site where your beloved Brian died would be so traumatic.

I have only been past where David's crash happened on a freeway, and it sends terrible chills through

me. And......I, too, would be crazier than I already am,;) if I were to see that site on a frequent basis. I've

only seen the site about twice ........that's enough. Peace & prayers, friend.

PEACE AND TRANQUILITY TO ALL IN THE BI FAMILY.

Davey&Lisasmom, Sherry

• Members

i'm not sure how to get through the days ahead....tomorrow is nathan's 33rd birthday. i looked through his baby book, with smiles through tears. i have literally fallen apart lately. saturday is his 1 year angelversary....how has one year gone by so quickly, yet it feels like yesterday? i can't imagine how time has flown. i am heartsick and broken. i just want this nightmare to end, but yet i know it will never end. my friend i talk to now, lost her son 16 years ago and she says it never ends. she says not a day goes by that she doesn't shed a tear for her son. she said she lives through each day, but she definitely is a changed person. that is what you all have tried to tell me. guess i haven't found out what or who i am to be yet.

my daughter called monday night and apologized to me for leaving on this weekend and explained why they were going on this weekend...she had good reasons....school being out for 2 days and the long 11 hour drive....she was genuinely sorry. she and the baby came over on tuesday and we talked and hugged and said the 'i love yous' and she was completely sincere. i did not hide my grief and i cried and she said, 'mom, it's ok, you can cry'. and i had already decided, it was my house, my turf, and i was going to cry....but it was ok anyway. she had talked to my friend's daughter and she told her she was so wrong, and to let me grieve, plus she really felt bad about leaving me alone this weekend. i do feel better since we are back to being mother/daughter/friends. it does take some stress off me. i could not imagine my daughter acting this way, but i do think she is having her own issues with grief and is still mad at her brother.

i am not ready for tomorrow....it hit me like a ton of bricks today, and tomorrow is not even here yet. i don't want to face it.

i have read that there is no time in heaven. nathan is healthy, happy, and having a wonderful time in heaven. he no longer feels the pain and sadness that he felt here on earth. i would be lying if said i didn't want him back, but i would want him back whole and healthy.

on that note, i will go and rest my eyes....i need cold packs on them for a while. they look like huge bees have stung them.

be safe, my indigo friends. i am thinking of all of you and also all of the newbies here. i will write more later.

love, diane

• Members

Oh Diane, you just do whatever you can to get you through this period. I know that tomorrow is something you have been dreading all week. All special occasions are not the same after we have lost our precious children. I am so glad that your daughter was so supportive of you. She sounds like a great young woman. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hopefully you wil be able to get out and do something that helps you to feel a bit better or to honor Nathan in some way. Take care.

Kate

• Members

HAPPY HEAVENLY BIRTHDAY......WESTLEY.

• Members

Love the poem Greg and the song Tony. Lorri, you okay now?

Dee...thinking of you on this frosty and very frigid night. Hope you are doing OK. Please send warm weather my way. Nightime low...-31C! Next week back up to 0! Go figure. Perfect opportunity to settle in with a good book and warm fire. Skies are black as ink with a billion stars. The air is fresh and crisp. Somewhere out there is my Jeff. No doubt sitting on a warm sandy beach chilling out.

Thinking of all my indigo friends today that are acknowledging angel dates and birthdays. Sleep well.

• Members

Diane-I am glad your daughter is trying to be more understanding. No doubt Nathan had some hand in that, as he wants his mom and sister to be there for each other during this difficult week for both of you. I hope you have some peace and comfort tomorrow and Saturday, and feel Nathan close to your heart.

Kathy-Wow, I see Tavian in that picture of 3 yr old Jessica. It must be very bittersweet to see Jessica in Tavian as you watch him grow up.

Been very down latel as we approach the 2 yr angelversary. From what I read, I guess that's normal. Just keep reliving it and wishing I could change something.

Amber's mom and al the other newbies: I wish you had no reason to be here, but I hope you can come here and share your pain and grief. We all get it, unfortunately.

Amy/Ashley's mom

• Members

Happy Heavenly Birthdays to Westley and to Nathan.

Two obviously handsome Men whose parents, siblings, and friends grieve deeply but also know the joy you brought to your Families and friends. Please let your Mommas know how dearly you love them, let them know that while they sit and think about your lives, that you are thanking them for your life here. Promise them in some special way, that you are free and fine and filled by joy in your new home behind the clouds, and make sure of them tonight when they go to bed, tucking them in with your forever love.

• Members

LT and Amber's Mom, the ache and shattered hearts are evident in your words, we sure get that. LT was it you that said you lost your Girl in April of 2003. I lost my Girl in July of that same year. No matter how long ago, the loss is right here, sitting in us but yes, we learn to live with it. It rides shotgun all the time, and that nest of grief is build right next to the heart because it is a thin line isn't it, between now and then. Yes a lot of time, but nevertheless, we can go there in one second, less even, and we are back to that time. Our love is interconnected with our loss and so they live near each other, taking up residence in our hearts as they repair. Never the same shape again, but certainly made larger(in order to hold all of our memories) and able to still nurture.

Ambers Mom, Amber is sure beautiful. I know that you are hurting, just hang on to us, we will do our best to see you through this set of steps. Remember that on your hardest days, a better day will come and we could not say it if it was not true for us. We know though, that this takes time.

sleep well All,

• Members

Hello Everyone,

I try to log in daily and try to perhaps leave some type of supportive kind words, but they seeme to escape me, especially when I see so many new names. I wish there were words that could make us all feel better or bring us some kind of ease to the aches in our hearts. All I can say right now is I'm so sorry to see so many new people here, and so sad that you now have to be a part of who we've become. Although we are all unknown to one another this is the only place I can come to, read, and process, and feel some support in all that I feel...

Mandy will be gone 8 weeks this coming Friday, It feels like just yesterday... I miss her so much. I have so many things I want to do, I have all her journals, all her personal items, videos, voice recordings, and so much more. I want to sit and explore all of it, but I don't know how. I suppose when the time is right I'll know, but... I don't know. What I have done is look at pictures, so many pictures, they now bring a small smile to my face, reliving memories of better times in our lives. Her smile is so beautiful... I finally opened a journal I had been writing to her, it was still in the works, It was started in August of 2002 something I had hoped to leave to her when I was gone... How did this happen!!! Why is she not here to read my words. Page 1 even says "if when you read this I'm not here to tell you myself, let me say it here. I am proud to be your mom, you have taught me so much and made being a mom the most incredible experience of my life." I had to stop reading there...

To all of you, my biggest system of support, I do hope one day I'll be able to come here and offer you what you have given me... Until then, I'll continue reading... just know I pray for all of you, pray for comfort, and ease in the lives we now need to learn to live...

Rachel

Manda's Mom

• Members

Westley, Westley, Westley

You are loved and cherished each and every day

Touch Mom and Dad with the joy of your spirit

and

Warm them with the remembrance of your smile

post-275735-0-28967400-1326952872_thumb.

• Members

Nathan Nathan Nathan

Saying your name and remembering the joy and love you shared each day of your life

Surround Mom and Dad with your love.

• Members

Nathan Nathan Nathan, in honor of your birthday we sing your name out loud!

• Members

Westley, Westley, Westley , We sing your name out loud in honor of your birthday!

• Members

Westley,

Westley

Westley

The angels are singing your name and we are saying it loud and clear.

Rhonda, may you and your family remember the many many good and funny times Westley brought to your life.

Colleen

• Members

Nathan

Nathan

Nathan

May your angel wings carry you to your family today. Diane, Nathan brought joy to you and your families life. May those memories bring you some peace today.

Colleen

• Members

Hello my dear friends,

So many new people here. My heart breaks for them.

LT - I too lost my son at the hands of another, but Brian is not blameless in the act that took his life. Your daughter is blameless. I wonder if that brings you any peace. I do not know, because the end was the same for both of us.

Car-surfing - what the heck is that. I wish those two words never went together. 3.5 years later and I am still in total dis-belief in how Brian died. If I would allow myself to really think about how Brian died, it makes me physically ill. I have learned how to push that thought out of my head, but it does not stay out.

Diane - I wanted to comment on your thought that your daughter is mad at Nathan. Boy can I relate. During the first year, I would stand in our back yard and scream at Brian (not in my head either) I was waiting for the men-in-white-coats to take me away. I am still angry at Brian's actions, but I have been able to seperate that one action from the rest of his wonderful life. That took a LONG time. Be kind to yourself. You are a good Mom.

Where would I be without this site and the people who run it and post on it. Not near where I am now. That is for sure.

A big thank you to all of you who have made my life a little better for just being you.

Colleen, Brian's Mom 4ever and ever and ever and ever.

• Members

NATHAN NATHAN NATHAN. THINKING OF YOU ALL TODAY. HOLD AND FLUTTER YOUR WINGS WITH YOUR LOVED ONES TODAY

WESTLEY WESTLEY WESTLEY I PRAY YOUR FAMILY FEELS YOUR HEAVENLY LOVE AND HEARS YOUR SWEET VOICE.

HUGGS TO YAL