• KayC

• DWS

• RichS

• JonathanFive

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
HisMunchkin
7 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I have mentioned before that since my husband's death I have become aware that my brain functions differently than most.  I was never diagnosed, but I am quite certain I have asperger's  as well as some other neurodivergent characteristics (face blindness,  unable to visualize, poor sense of direction, unable to decode body language or social cues, very literal - I don't  pick up on irony or sarcasm, etc)

I started reading a book recently called, "Pretending to be Normal: Living Asperger's Syndrome", by Liane Holiday Willey.  In it, she describes in detail about her experience of the world and how it differs from what others experience.  Quite interesting.  Some of what you described sounded like what she had described. 

I'm really sorry to hear that your son's divorce is having such a negative impact on you. ☹️  What are his strengths?  He has you, so that's one.  What else can help him get through this tough time?

5 hours ago, RichS said:

I feel as if a chunk of me is gone. That's fine for dieting

😄 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Gail,

I've known a couple of people with Asperger's, it'd be good to get tested, if nothing else to know what end of the spectrum you're on.  I also want to point out that many with Asperger's are brilliant and even though there are challenges, they often are exceptional in art, music, etc.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

My one friend that is an Aspie was told when he'd been in the service for ten years.  He never had any real issues with it but he would fixate on things and it explained a lot.

My sister (a research librarian) first told me he was, she was correct.  I had an article about it but they've taken it down for some reason.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
HisMunchkin
On 3/25/2024 at 1:41 PM, Gail 8588 said:

I have tried to figure out how I could get assessed and hopefully learn some skills to more easily blend into society. 

I don't know if it would help, but maybe look into autobiographies and self help books?  For instance, this one: https://www-users.york.ac.uk/~ade1/survival/apersonal.html  "Coping: A SURVIVAL GUIDE FOR PEOPLE LIVING WITH ASPERGER'S SYNDROME by Marc Segar" 

For grieving, I found that method (reading autobio and self-help books) to be helpful.  If nothing else, at least I feel less alone. 

On 3/25/2024 at 1:59 PM, Gail 8588 said:

My son is going to be fine. He is handling the divorce much better than I am. 

On 3/25/2024 at 1:59 PM, Gail 8588 said:

he sees the potential for a more tranquil and secure home environment for his family.

What did he say, exactly?  How does he envision his future?  Maybe you can listen to what he thinks and try to see how that could make sense?  He knows his wife and their relationship best, after all.  Maybe they fight a lot, and that would definitely be detrimental to the kids, for instance. 

Change can be hard.  Perhaps imagining their future life and how things will be o.k. could help you slowly, mentally adapt to the change? 

• Hugs 3

• Moderators
widower2
On 3/30/2024 at 6:12 AM, KayC said:

As for afterlife, there's plenty I could write on the subject but we aren't allowed to.  

I respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague :) You can, we just ask that you do it in the area of the site dedicated to that here: https://forums.grieving.com/forum/23-beliefs-and-religion/   And keep in mind there are people here with widely varying beliefs and to respect that. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

I know but no one goes there and it wouldn't be in response to what is written here...not about  religion, about hope.  And you know me, I am always respectful.

• Like 2