Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What positive can you list today?

KayC

• Moderators
8 hours ago, foreverhis said:

As for your DIL, it's probably best if I hold my tongue because the words that come to mind are not only not nice, they are also inappropriate for polite company. 

Getting T&L tonight/tomorrow, praying no new fires! One started a mile from my son's job so it took him an hour to get on the freeway to come home.  I got his message after he got home because I was busy cooking. Made a shrimp side dish and a sausage/egg/cheese casserole, both a hit.  Bethany volunteered their van to some friends and it's not running, so Paul had to get the car running that was on the lift so he could put the van on it and get it running, couldn't start until 9 pm, no idea what time he got done, he has to be at work early today to give his presentation to some big wigs flying in at work.  Poor guy!
The time is passing quickly...one day left with my grandkids!

• Like 3

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Stop talking about food! :)  

My positive today was watching a TV show that was a fav of ours and a particular moment that I think she would have enjoyed as much as me and laughed at as I did and for the briefest moment, it almost felt like she was there in a way. For me those are rare precious gifts. Like living on a glacier and suddenly some kind of solar flare flash passes by and warms you for a moment

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

My positive is that even though my DIL got back hours later than stated (her last thing was lunchtime, she got home almost dinnertime), I bought groceries on the way home, got everything in and unpacked amidst a terrible Lightning storm about 10 pm!  Got six hours sleep, nice to be home...hoping no new fires!  Our air quality the worst in the state although the whole state except my son's looks bad.

9 hours ago, widower2 said:

My positive today was watching a TV show that was a fav of ours and a particular moment that I think she would have enjoyed as much as me and laughed at as I did and for the briefest moment, it almost felt like she was there in a way.

That sounds so wonderful, so glad for you!  Yes, all too rare. 
Now the shrimp recipe I made was soooo good!...no leftovers!  :D (Just had to)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Some positive tidbits:

-  Went for my physical and everything checks out OK. The doctor wrote me out a prescription for my sciatica.

-  Speaking of sciatica, going to the chiropractor to get straightened out (kinda different than way my parents used to handle it). :)

-  Finally got a good deal on a lot of sports cards. Picking them up today. Possibly another deal tomorrow!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, RichS said:

Some positive tidbits:

-  Went for my physical and everything checks out OK. The doctor wrote me out a prescription for my sciatica.

What'd you get? My doctor refuses meds and wants me to go to physical therapy. ugh.

• Members

My grandfather ended every prayer with " and please God little or no lower back pain". Physio works , if you do the follow up work and exercises.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'll work out on my own. The idea of someone pawing over me after pawing all over God knows who else - no thanks!

• Like 1

• Members
46 minutes ago, widower2 said:

What'd you get? My doctor refuses meds and wants me to go to physical therapy. ugh.

He prescribed Meloxicam (if I'm spelling it right). With my insurance, it was FREE; which is another pain I avoided. :)

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Someone with a scanner said they had tons of fires last night during the lightning, I find nothing on CalTopo. Don't know if that's good or bad.  Will find out in time.  The air is bad. Will be here until some time in October.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

That sounds fun Kay!

I went with a few people to a club nearby to hear some band...who frankly sucked. :)  But it was good to get out and talk with some folks for awhile. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

This was Alice in Wonderland, mostly done by kids, and they did an amazing job!  The sounds was poor so couldn't hear most of the words but was able to get the gist of it, and was so impressed that they memorized tons of lines, they all did a great job and it was good to get out.  Kodie was good, I left the tv on so he wouldn't feel so alone and it seemed to help.  He didn't eat much yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I always kept the TV on for my dog when I was out. Heck I have it on all the time now just for some background noise...

• Like 4

• Members

The positive today is a storm...a good storm after a long heat wave! Rain and wind...i breathe again!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I wish we got a storm with rain...but no lightning again, please! Started more fires nearby...

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
8 hours ago, Roxeanne said:

The positive today is a storm...a good storm after a long heat wave! Rain and wind...i breathe again!

Hey Roxeanne, I'm so glad  that heat wave finally came to an end. Hopefully it's the last one of the summer. A lot of Italy was under brutal heat the past week or so. Over here I'm glad it's also cooler today and sunny. It's been humid the last while and very uncomfortable. 

• Hugs 3

• Members

Well down here in Tallahassee we are watching the weather as hurricane season is hitting it's stride for the next couple of months.  We have a developing storm down near the yucatan peninsula that may  come visit Tallahassee next Tuesday. Too early to know for sure, just in the 'be mindful' stage right now

I really feel so much more capable this year to deal with whatever comes my way.   Of course it would all be easier if John were here, but I have the feeling of "I've got this".  A much better feeling than I have had the past several years. 

Still hoping that nothing big comes my way.

If anyone wants to see what tropical storms in the Atlantic are doing, I highly recommend a YouTube site called Tropical Tidbits. This young meteorologists, Dr. Levi Cowan, does a great job giving detailed information on storm development.

Gail

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
6 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

I really feel so much more capable this year to deal with whatever comes my way.   Of course it would all be easier if John were here, but I have the feeling of "I've got this".  A much better feeling than I have had the past several years. 

Glad to hear that, Gail. Hope that I can get to that point someday. It's only been a year for me, though.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
12 minutes ago, Gator M said:

I cut my grass...over 2 days.  It was hot.  I had to break often  but I got it done.

When I lived in Florida 35 years ago, I used to spend 3 or 4 hours (in the heat and humidity) doing yard work. Fast forward to 2023:   Now I'm out there for a 1/2 an hour and I need to take a break. Father Time has caught up with me.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

He's caught up with me too. I just got in from picking up branches...never ending branches on the property.  I also do my neighbor's as he is disabled and lets me use his burn pile, which is level, my property is steeper, not suitable for burn piles.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

I just got in from picking up branches...never ending branches on the property.

The bigger, heavier branches that fall on our property (from wind and storms) go into a pile. By the winter, I put an ad on Craigslist for FREE FIREWOOD. It's a win, win situation. They get free firewood and I get the pile of large branches cleared out of the woods in my backyard. No, I don't put downed pine branches in the pile. They're bad for fireplaces (or so I'm told).

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Today my positive is I was there for Jazzy.  She got bit by a mouse on her tongue and she cried and cried, I've never seen her cry before, it had to hurt like heck. Iris just got tough with her, so I took on the role, loving her, comforting her, then distracting her by engaging her to "get on her throne" (a tree stump she loves).  I'm glad I was there for her.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I spent all day at church today and I am worn out from it. We had a big budget meeting starting at 9:15. (Not enough revenue for our expenses.) Then church.  A simple lunch of soup and salad at a program for our church pre-school. (Everyone bought supplies for the new school year.)  Then from 3 to 5 our women's bible study kicked off our program for the new year. 

Just being up and interacting with all these groups all day exhausted me. I usually have several resting periods each day, watching TV, napping, reading, whatever.  Today felt like a full work day. Ugh.  I am glad I am retired!  

Gail

• Hugs 4

• Members

Well my positive for today is someone else's negative, which makes me feel a bit bad. 

Hurricane Idalia seems to be shifting a bit to the east, which is good news for me but bad news for others. 

My husband's sister has a house on the water at Crystal River.  This shift is not good news for her.

Life in Florida.

Gail

• Hugs 3

• Members
23 minutes ago, KayC said:

My positive today is I slept 10 1/2 hours last night!  Makes up for the four hours I got the night before, yesterday was rough.

Grand kids wear you out a little? Wish I had some of their energy...................................

55 minutes ago, Gator M said:

The water is extremely hot which is bad...hopefully it breaks up soon.

A few weeks ago my friend and his family went to Key West for a few days. The water temperature was 100 degrees.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Members
57 minutes ago, Gator M said:

Hurricane Idalia seems to be shifting a bit to the east, which is good news for me but bad news for others. 

We're supposed to get the tail end of it in North Carolina later this week. It should only be a tropical storm by then; maybe 40 mph winds and a lot of rain. We live around 120 miles inland, so that should help. We have friends in Wilmington (by the coast) who will probably have worse weather than us.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

3 hours ago, RichS said:

Grand kids wear you out a little?

Nope, worried about a friend of mine.  I see more T& L coming Sunday...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I posted this in my diabetic group today, thought it might speak to some of us here.  It goes along with looking for joy in each day. Yes it's hard at first, and some days/months/years are super challenging, but as we do this, it helps us live in the present and be more intentional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members

My positive is that the car dealership called me yesterday and said the front battery on my Volt was dead, they were going to order one to replace it, and it would cost about $390.  Maybe that's all that's wrong!

And my friend Donna told me she'd come get me and hopefully she'll drive me up to the dealership when the time comes.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Well my good news from yesterday, that Idalia had tracked a bit to the east, is undone today in that Idalia has tracked back a bit to the west. So I'm about where I started.  Wobbles like this are to be expected.

I am still feeling positive.  All my hurricane preparations are completed. Tallahassee is on the weak side of the storm and a pretty good distance from the center. So I count myself lucky. 

Just trying not to eat all my hurricane snacks before the storm gets here.  

🙂

Gail

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
41 minutes ago, Gator M said:

Hurricanes and the Gulf Coast...ugh

During hurricane season the Gulf of Mexico reminds me of playing with a pinball machine----once it's in the gulf, it could go in many directions, from Texas to Florida and anywhere in between.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Members

I’m watching the hurricane too.  My daughter lives in St. Augustine.  This is her first hurricane season as she moved from California in March.  Doesn’t matter tho.  If she would have stayed in CA she would have had a hurricane and an earthquake to deal with!  Crazy stuff happening!

Praying for you too Gail!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Thanks for your well wishes. 

I love the tropical tidbits site.  John and I watched it when Levi Cowan started, while he was an undergraduate student at FSU. Then he enrolled in FSUs doctoral program in meteorology. He got his PhD in 2019, and I felt so proud of him. So silly, we have never met.  But he is about the age of my boys and I just feel a bit motherly towards him.

I think he does a very good job explaining how the storm is being influenced by various things.  Idalia may move to the west due to these forces pushing that way. 

At this point we just have to wait and see which way it goes. But at least I do understand that there is a chance Tallahassee will be more directly in the storms path.

I am grateful for the information.

Gail

• Like 1

• Moderators

19 hours ago, Boggled said:

My positive is that the car dealership called me yesterday and said the front battery on my Volt was dead, they were going to order one to replace it, and it would cost about $390.  Maybe that's all that's wrong!

And my friend Donna told me she'd come get me and hopefully she'll drive me up to the dealership when the time comes.

This is great news!  So glad to hear it, Boggled!

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Just trying not to eat all my hurricane snacks before the storm gets here.  

This cracked me up!  Glad to hear you are prepared, heard from my friend Marty (owner/counselor griefhealing) and they were prepared for it to hit last night.  She lives on a hill so doesn't get the flooding.  Mostly loss of electricity and high winds.  Praying for all affected!

Prayers.png

• Moderators

Okay, this is a bit weird of a positive:

Had an accident yesterday, could NOT see the car, parked across/behind me, BAD spot for one, tight quarters, wasn't there when I parked and when I came out to my car I was carrying a tall air filtration system, couldn't see over it, nor in the mirrors.  I met the guy at the bank and paid him rather than turn it in and have the ins. raise my rates for three years, he can get it off with buffing compound and he only paid $700 for the car, neither of us wanted the hassle.  So bank account down $500 at the end of month, going to hurt next month.

My positive is he was willing as I really didn't want to deal with ins., he came out ahead and I'm no worse off, the bit of damage to my car was in the same exact place as I had a hit and run done to mine a few years ago, will continue to live with it.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

So bank account down $500 at the end of month, going to hurt next month.

Kay:  You've had a rough year so far. Hope the last four months is peaceful. Boring is beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, RichS said:

Boring is beautiful.

Sounds like it to me!  I am really looking forward to Autumn, my favorite season.  Unfortunately winter comes after it, I used to dread winter, now I dread winter and summer both.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
29 minutes ago, KayC said:

I used to dread winter, now I dread winter and summer both.

Please, no more selections............you're running out of seasons..........:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Last year my Christmas tree gave out, so I ordered another one, unfortunately it needs bolted together, and I'm worried I can't put it together by myself like my old one, may have to get a neighbor to do it or do without.  I love displaying our ornaments, it's totally a memory tree.  Would have it up a couple of months at least!

• Like 3

• Members
3 hours ago, Gator M said:

I'm looking forward to the Fall my favorite time also...College football (Gator Football) . . .

Go Gators.   Looking forward to tomorrow night's game in Utah with our new quarterback.  So glad I have electricity (after Hurricane Idalia) so I can watch the game.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

My positive is he was willing as I really didn't want to deal with ins.

So sorry you had the accident. I agree that it was a big positive that he just worked it out with you without getting the insurance companies involved.

It would have been more hassel and would have cost you way more in the long run.   

• Like 1

• Members
54 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

So glad I have electricity (after Hurricane Idalia) so I can watch the game.

Gail:  Glad to hear that you never lost power for a long period of time. This is a pretty fast moving storm. It should be in North Carolina by tomorrow morning. We live about 120 miles inland so we should be spared the worst part of the storm.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I have no damage from Hurricane Idalia.  My internet service is down, I lost power twice during the storm but for less than 3 hours each time.  I have power now. (My son has no power. He and his family will sleep at my house tonight if they still have no power.)  He had no damage at his house too. 

I am so glad for you and your family!

2 hours ago, RichS said:

we should be spared the worst part of the storm.

Praying for you through this...

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1