Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Wordle!

widower2

• Members
Gail 8588

After my big streak of 365 I took a wordle break, doing it occassionally, skipping often.  I have now fallen back in the habit of doing it daily. 

• Like 1

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• Gail 8588

• MomsLovingSon

• DWS

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
10 hours ago, widower2 said:

Yeah ouch! I keep track of my progress myself, I ignore the stats on Wordle since there are days I might miss etc. 

I inadvertently missed a couple of days playing it so far this year which took me back to "0" days but was always relieved that the statistics weren't affected. This latest cookie cleaning wiped all of that away. There's likely some way of protecting it from happening again....something that would likely take me an afternoon to figure out!

• Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis

Funny story. Apparently, there was some issue with the NYT (writer’s strike maybe?) and subscribers were asked to boycott. Well, most were fine getting their news elsewhere, but wouldn’t boycott entirely because—not kidding—they didn’t want to break their Wordle streak. (I think this happened last year. It was a panel question on “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me.”)

• Haha 2

• Moderators
widower2
4 hours ago, foreverhis said:

It was a panel question on “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me.”

I've never seen that but want to. I like Paula Poundstone. 

• Like 1

• Members
foreverhis
43 minutes ago, widower2 said:

I've never seen that but want to. I like Paula Poundstone. 

It's a fantastic show.  The hosts and panelists are all wonderful.  You can get it as a podcast, which is what I do, or listen to it broadcast on local radio.  I don't listen all the time, mostly when I'm driving into town or something like that.  This means that I am about a year behind, but at least I can answer all the news questions.😁

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

I'll have to hunt for it on radio...I can't podcast as streaming takes up too much bandwidth :(  

• Like 1

• Members

I blew it yesterday! I was riding a 34-day winning streak but yesterday's word..."manga"...got me. I had the two "a"s  in place plus the "n". I tried "wanna" and "manja". Never heard of "manga". (I hadn't heard of "manja" either but google said it was a word.) Back to zero days again. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Gail 8588

I had never heard of manga either, but my 39 year old son knew it as a chinese comic characters right away. It is some how related to Anime stuff, which I also know nothing about. 

I guess you have to be into "gaming" to know these things, maybe modern movies. I don't  know.  Apparently, I don't  move in the circles where such things are discussed. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
widower2

Yeah that was a totally BS word, though luckily I got it. I hate words like that! 

• Like 3

• Members
foreverhis
12 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I had never heard of manga either, but my 39 year old son knew it as a chinese comic characters right away. It is some how related to Anime stuff, which I also know nothing about.

It took me to the sixth try (phew!). I only got it because I have a 15 year old granddaughter who is into anime, which she loves to explain to ancient grannie, so the word popped into my head.😅

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
12 hours ago, widower2 said:

Yeah that was a totally BS word, though luckily I got it. I hate words like that! 

I know I'm in trouble whenever there's a word ending in a vowel that's not an "e"!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
widower2
1 hour ago, foreverhis said:

It took me to the sixth try (phew!). I only got it because I have a 15 year old granddaughter who is into anime, which she loves to explain to ancient grannie, so the word popped into my head.😅

No such help here, so I just started doing internet searches on MAN_A words (MANNA was my first guess) and that was the only one left! Obscure words should not be used...

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yeah, so much for "common words."  I got it but only after trying mange and mango.

• Like 1

• Members
foreverhis
On 6/13/2024 at 5:28 AM, KayC said:

Yeah, so much for "common words."  I got it but only after trying mange and mango.

Those were my fourth and fifth guesses. ETA: I don’t even know why I guessed mange because by then I already knew the darn word didn’t have an e in it!🙄

• Like 1

• Members

Sheesh...I just about didn't get yesterday's word again!  I had it narrowed down early that it ended in "er". My only available vowel was a "u". I had ruled out that there wasn't an "s" so it couldn't be "super". Couldn't think what else it could be with a "u" so I figured it must be a repeated "e". 

4th guess: "peter"....as in peter out. 

Nope.

5th guess: "meter". Aha...it must be "meter" I said confidently.

Nope.

Son of a...., I said.

6th guess with fingers crossed: "deter" ???

Phew was right!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Almost didn't make it today, barely got it!  When you have one of those that one letter can be several things...

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

I hate the word lottos...

Yesterday I officially hit the 365 mark on my streak, a year's worth. Of course I jinxed it now so will bomb out soon probably, but I don't care, this was the last goal I had once I saw it was within reach, which I never expected. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

Today's was a little tricky, had me hung up for awhile

• Like 1

• Members
Gail 8588

Widower2, 

I intentionally skipped a day after my streak was 365.  Now there is no streak pressure!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
widower2

I like seeing how far a streak can go. Thing is when I do miss, I'll probably never top it...so I'll try to break my record for the second-longest streak.

PS I don't mean "streak" as in what it says on wordle. I've skipped a day here or there. For me streak means how many days in a row I played and got it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
widower2

Today's was a little sneaky....

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yep, I got it on the third try, sheer luck.

• Like 1

• Members

The words from the last two days were like that. Both had an 'a' as the third letter and ended with an 'e'. I managed to get yesterday's "blare" in five tries but I was sweating and cursing with the word "shape" the day before. It came down to choosing either "shake" or "shape" on my sixth guess and luckily, I chose the correct one

• Like 1

• Members

Yesterday's word got me. On my third guess, I tried "taunt". That let me know that I had the last four letters...just had to guess the first. 

4th guess: "Haunt"? 

No.

5th guess: "Daunt"?

No.

6th guess: "Jaunt"????

No!!!

Never even thought of "gaunt". Sheesh....back to the beginning again. 

• Hugs 2

• Members

Kay, 

Today I got it in 2.  It is so dependent on what your first guess is and how that relates to the solution word.  My first guess word brought up 4 correct letters, 2 in the correct location. 

Most of the time I need 4 or 5 guesses. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I was in big trouble today but got lucky: I'll put what I mean in white font below not to give it away; you can highlight it with your cursor to see:

My first two guesses got me three vowels, which means a good chance of starting with a vowel. But I wasn't seeing anything. Then I guessed a word just to hopefully get some letters and got lucky to get two and got it from there.

• Like 1

• Members
2 hours ago, widower2 said:

I was in big trouble today but got lucky: I'll put what I mean in white font below not to give it away; you can highlight it with your cursor to see:

My first two guesses got me three vowels, which means a good chance of starting with a vowel. But I wasn't seeing anything. Then I guessed a word just to hopefully get some letters and got lucky to get two and got it from there.

That is a totally cool trick to type your text in white to have it be invisible.  I had never encountered that before.

I don't think I can type in different colored font using my phone, or at least I don't  know how to do that.  But I was able to see your invisible text!  I feel like a kid with a decoder ring.

It took me all 6 tries to get today's (Friday's) wordle.

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

It took me all 6 tries to get today's (Friday's) wordle.

Me too, Gail.  I used up most of the letters in the alphabet!  Got it on the sixth try.

• Like 1