Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Wordle!

widower2

• Members

They do come up with some uncommon words.  I have used all 6 guesses for some of the words lately. 

I'm thinking of intentionally breaking my streak soon, by just not playing one day.  My son says I should wait for another month to break my streak, to have a full year long streak.

I am at 340 today.

• Like 1

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• Gail 8588

• MomsLovingSon

• SSC

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
14 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I'm thinking of intentionally breaking my streak soon, by just not playing one day.  My son says I should wait for another month to break my streak, to have a full year long streak.

I agree with your son...says the woman who hasn't played more than twice since January 2 when a certain little furry girl entered my life.

After 365 (or 366, your choice), all bets should be off.  Until then, I shall live vicariously through your Wordle life. (Fingers crossed, knocking wood, and so forth.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Even if you skip a day, your streak really hasn't ended IMO...i.e. you didn't "bust." It may not show up on the little streak indicator on wordle, but you could still keep track yourself. 

• Like 1

• Members
7 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I am hoping to overcome my compulsive behavior with wordle.  🙂

Remember, Gail, there are far worse things to be compulsive about than words.

Of course, this is coming from a writer who has been known to “read the dictionary for the plot” (according to John, who had the same obsession with etymology).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I am hoping to overcome my compulsive behavior with wordle.  🙂

Where's the fun in that? 

• Like 1

• Members

Ha ha ha. 

It's getting embarrassing to admit how long my winning streak on wordle is.  People look at me like they looked at those folks who used to proudly display their gigantic rubber band collection.  I can almost hear in their heads as they think "Geez get a life Gail". 

• Like 1

• Members

That winning streak is so impressive...nothing at all to be embarrassed about.  Before my loss of my winning streak  over a month ago (damn you, "RIPER"), I busted around Christmas time because I didn't play one day. Some days seem to roll in to the other so I was quite surprised when I was back at zero. I thought for sure I had played the day before. 

But yesterday, I got it in two guesses! I used my partner's last name for my first guess and that gave me three letters. I've had that success three times now after using his last name. I've taken a pic each time and then send to Tom's daughter who always gets a kick out of it. 

• Members

DWS,

It is a relaxed connection to my eldest son, who lives in Georgia. Every day we text each other how many tries it took to get the word. Today we both solved   in 4. We commiserate when it takes us 6 and give kudos if we get a 2 or 3.

It is also sort of a long distance safety net.  If he doesn't get a text from me about wordle, he follows up with a phone call to make sure I'm okay. 

Gail

• Like 1

• Members

@Gail 8588, I love your Wordle connection with your son!  I wish I had someone who loves it like I do enough to send a quick text.  I’m overly impressed with your streak. I busted with STAID the other day and was upset with myself when I didn’t follow my regular routine of words to use up the alphabet.   Live and learn!  

I say keep the streak going!  You’re amazing!

• Moderators

Today's word was total BS! I've never even heard of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Members
MomsLovingSon
4 minutes ago, widower2 said:

Today's word was total BS! I've never even heard of it. 

I've definitely heard of it, but I was stumped for awhile until I finally got it on my fifth try. The word is definitely BS though, just the B stands for something else lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

I went to Lowes today. I asked for fertilizer with GUANO in it. He looked at me like I just grew a third arm.

• Members

Widower2, 

I have a feeling you are not fond of today's wordle answer.  It took me 6 tries. 

Gail

• Members

I think it was BESET last Wednesday.  Not a word in common usage these days. 

• Members
On 3/27/2023 at 8:00 AM, Gail 8588 said:

I can almost hear in their heads as they think "Geez get a life Gail". 

You have a life, Gail.  You keep hope alive that some day in the future we too can have an impressive Wordle streak.:D

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
On 4/2/2023 at 1:12 PM, Gail 8588 said:

I think it was BESET last Wednesday.  Not a word in common usage these days. 

I missed that day - yeah that's a BS word. So was FLORA IMO.

• Members

Although I got todays word (Wednesday) I was surprised because I thought it was the name of a brand.  They just love to throw those tricky ones out there!

btw @Gail 8588 how’s the streak going?

• Like 1

• Members

SSC, 

Yeah BORAX was an odd one. Like you I primarily thought of it as a brand name. 

I have had several days lately that I need all 6 guesses. QUALM almost got me, I used the Q and the M for the first time on my 6th guess. A lot of words have A, L and U somewhere in them.🙂

Today I got the word in 3.  It is just the random luck of the letters to get the word in the first few guesses. 

My streak stands at 360 today. 

Gail

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah BOROX was BS, as was today's word IMO. 

Props Gail, your streak is amazing!

• Members
MomsLovingSon

I actually didn't have trouble with today's word lol, got it in 3 tries. Admittedly though it took me quite some time to think of what it could be.

I had 2 yellow letters after my first try, and on the second attempt I had green first and last letters and a yellow which I knew had to be in the middle spot based on my previous attempt.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 4/16/2023 at 11:17 PM, Gail 8588 said:

@widower2

Not a word in common usage that is for sure. 

That's not what bothered me about it. It was a past tense of a verb, which is total BS.

So was today's. Stupid word lottery.

• Members

The guy who created wordle didn't have any rules for the words he included in his word list. 

As far as I have read, the NYT imposed only one rule that eliminates a class of words:  no plurals ending in s or es will be the word of the day.

NYT also removed a few words they deemed inappropriate, like curse words or words they just don't want to use, for example fetus.  But that's not a very clear rule of what was eliminated, it was more of an editorial call on what they chose to include in their word list. 

So I think past tense of verbs are legit wordle options. 

My grumbling about very obscure words  is also not a valid complaint. They never committed to using commonly used words.  But I grumble anyway, and you can too. 

Well I made it to my one year streak today. 365.

I am going to try to sit on my hands tomorrow and not do wordle.  My streak will go to zero and I'll be a free woman. 

• Like 4

• Members

Woo hoo!  Congratulations Gail.  That is truly impressive. :)

• Members

I did not play wordle the next day, so now my current streak is 1.

The pressure is off now. I can play or skip as my life or interest allows. 

Screenshot_20230420-000906_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 4/18/2023 at 1:46 AM, Gail 8588 said:

So I think past tense of verbs are legit wordle options. 

They shouldn't be, but they are. 

My grumbling about very obscure words  is also not a valid complaint. 

The hell it's not. :)  It's ridiculous to expect people to guess words they may have never heard of by any reasonable account.

Well I made it to my one year streak today. 365.

That's amazing!

• Members

Ugh!!! I forgot to play yesterday. I thought I did. Now I'm back to one after a good winning streak. Gail's right...it's better without the pressure of daily play. 😒

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

I don't count what that thing says. If I skip a day, my streak isn't snapped; it only is if I try and don't get it. 

A couple rather hokey words lately IMO...

• Members
Gail 8588

I must say, I do feel a sense of relief now that I let my streak be broken.  I play or don't play without any concern. 

My 365 does show up as my longest streak, so that's sort of fun for me to see.  But my current streak today is 1 after having not played for several days. 

• Moderators

I accidentally missed Sunday, forgot to go there.  I'm at 349 winning but it says streak 1 so I'm wondering if that messed it up?  I don't get their ratings.  I start with common letters but sometimes it'll throw you and put zebra or hippo in!

• Like 2

• Members
Gail 8588

Kay,

Sadly when you skip a day your streask does go to zero. But that was an awesome streak.  It will always show as your longest streak, until you beat it. 

😊

• Like 1

• Moderators

Some of these words lately...circa? sulky? Seriously? 

• Like 1

• Members
On 5/4/2023 at 12:40 AM, widower2 said:

Some of these words lately...circa? sulky? Seriously? 

I just about busted on "guppy"! (and I realize how weird that must sound to someone doesn't know how Wordle is played)

• Like 1

• Moderators

I got lucky on that one - I guessed PUDGY and it got me close.

• Like 1

• Members

I got yesterday's very very familiar word in four guesses. I had "_ R I E _" after guess number two and you'd think I should have got the correct word on guess number three...however, I totally missed it and tried "BRIEF" first. D'uh!

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
On 5/20/2023 at 11:16 AM, DWS said:

I got yesterday's very very familiar word in four guesses. I had "_ R I E _" after guess number two and you'd think I should have got the correct word on guess number three...however, I totally missed it and tried "BRIEF" first. D'uh!

Yeah I thought it there's one I should have gotten early......

The words have been "normal" lately so I expect a BS one any time soon! 

• Moderators

Whew barely got today's in five. Kind of a BS word IMO.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Speaking of BS words!  "Ethos?" "Beget?" Seriously? 

• Like 1

• Members

Right?!  Today I was bragging to my six year old granddaughter when she asked me if I win at wordle, that I always win.  Well, this morning when she was helping me play the game, she was laughing at the nonsense words I was typing.  I’m  trying to figure out the stupid word on guess 5… her telling me, fewet!  That’s not a word!  Betez!  What does that mean?  Ahh the pressure of a know-it-all  right at my shoulder!  It was too much!  Thank goodness she is so darn cute.  Alas, I had to distract her onto something else and come back to the game later.  No way was the word “beget” going to come to mind with markers, paints and a happy meal spread all over the table.

later, later it came to me with the quiet and when my mind could access language from a century ago!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Yeah, BEGET was a bizarre one.

I have had quite a few words take 6 guesses lately. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Some normal words lately. I think we are being set up. 

• Like 1

• Members

Last year near Halloween I kept waiting for EERIE to show up. (It never did.) 

There are bizarre words that might show up anytime.   We have to keep on our toes. 🙂

• Moderators

Sat and Sun were both BS words.

Yes I'm waiting for other BS words like EERIE or MELEE! 

• Like 1

• Members

Ouch! Yesterday morning I did a major "cookie" cleaning of my computer which wiped out my entire Wordle history! Counting today, I'm showing that I've played only 2 games. I'm glad I took photos each time that I got the word in two guesses. 

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

Yeah ouch! I keep track of my progress myself, I ignore the stats on Wordle since there are days I might miss etc. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1