Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Wordle!

widower2

• Members

Friday's wordle had me stumped for awhile. I had to leave to drive to a meeting an hour and half away. So I quit working on it after 2 guesses and drove to my meeting. After about an hour of driving the answer just came to me. I hadn't even been aware my mind had been working on it. 

Strange how the brain works sometimes.  I got to my meeting and before I even got out of the car I typed in the word and it was right. 

• Like 2

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• Gail 8588

• MomsLovingSon

• SSC

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I know what you mean!  Sometimes I have a few letters but I'm going "?? I don't see anything" and it just pops out. 

I don't mind saying I was PO'd when one of the answers was a past tense of a verb! ?? They never did that before.

I'm closing in on my record streak, can break it if I last a couple more weeks..........

• Like 3

• Moderators

ARGGHHHH busted today. There were too many possibilities and the words I thought were more likely, weren't.

• Like 1

• Members

Ugh!  So sorry!  Count today as the luck percentage rather than skill.  We can’t be brilliant all the time…:)

• Like 2

• Members

Widower2, 

Sorry it slipped away from you today.  I have had several wordles lately where by my 3rd guess I had a few letters correctly placed but I could see 5 or so perfectly legit words that could fill the missing letter spots.  It was just random which of those I would guess in my 4th, 5th and 6th slots.  I was lucky and hit the winner before I ran out of guesses.

Today was my 100th wordle.  Feels like a milestone of some sort. 

• Like 3

• Members

Took me 5 tries to get the word today.  I thought it was a tough one even though I lucked out with good letters to begin with.

• Like 1

• Members

Today's word was tough. I had everything in place except for the first letter by my 3rd guess. But there were 3 letters that each could make a perfectly legitimate word.  Just the luck of the draw which one would be the correct one.  

• Like 1

• Members
MomsLovingSon

For whatever reason I was just feeling it today I guess. My first word had no letters, my second one had the 3rd and 4th, and after thinking for a minute or two I got it on the third try.

• Like 1

• Members

Didn't have anyone to tell this to so I dropped in here to say I got today's Wordle in two guesses! I have four different words that I choose from to start the puzzle and today's choice worked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Members

I intend that emoji as a trophy!  Getting wordle in 2 is amazing!

• Like 2

• Members
MomsLovingSon

Got it in 2 words today. 4th time doing that in 88 games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Wow I never got it in two. I've been out of it for awhile as I had ISP issues (Dear GOD I hate Verizon! I would recommend anyone go with ANY other carrier).... 

• Members

Noooooooo!  I chose the wrong letter out of two and ruined my winning streak!  I guess now I will pat myself on the back for remembering to play everyday…with my grief brain that’s an accomplishment in and of itself!

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

argh! Bummer. But now you have a streak to shoot for. :)  I haven't played for awhile, my net time is limited (long story) for now. 

• Members
9 hours ago, widower2 said:

argh! Bummer. But now you have a streak to shoot for. :)  I haven't played for awhile, my net time is limited (long story) for now. 

Sounds like it has to do with Verizon?  I remember you said you play Wordle at work around lunch time so I figured it was on your phone.  This is the only “game” I play on my phone strangely enough.  I use my IPad for everything else.  I rarely use a computer.

I’ve only used TMobile as a carrier, been with them since the beginning (of cellphones) when I paid for minutes (emergency) and it was a deal for teachers through the school district.  Wow!  Times have changed!  I remember I paid for 30 minutes a month and if I used less than one minute I wouldn’t be charged for it.  Hahaha.  You know I used that to my full advantage.  That was back when I actually called people on my phone and that was it!

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, SSC said:

Sounds like it has to do with Verizon?  I remember you said you play Wordle at work around lunch time so I figured it was on your phone.  This is the only “game” I play on my phone strangely enough.  I use my IPad for everything else.  I rarely use a computer.

I rarely use a phone. :)  Yes it's Version (Earthlink) and I HATE THAT COMPANY. They are a total joke. I play on my laptop, just needed to find a new carrier. For now I play using my phone (hotspot).

• Like 1

• Members

I have been hanging on to my winning streak, barely some days. Last week I had a 6 and it was only 50/50 that I had the right word then. But I lucked out. 

My current streak is 47, nearing my max streak of 54.

• Like 2

• Members
MomsLovingSon

I just completed my 100th game and I'm on a 31 day streak. Doing the math it takes me an average of 3.83 guesses to get the word. Funny enough the streak almost was snapped as it took me all six attempts today despite having the first three letters after just my second guess.

• Like 2

• Members
19 hours ago, MomsLovingSon said:

I just completed my 100th game and I'm on a 31 day streak. 

Congratulations on 100 games.  Seems like we should get a ribbon or something.😉

• Like 2

• Members

Reader, 

I have never gotten it on my first guess.  I have gotten it on my second guess several times. I have an equal number of times it took me all 6 guesses. Twice I lost.

My most frequent is 4 guesses.

Gail

• Like 1

• Members

I’ve never guessed the word right off the bat.  My current starts are:

77 games played

97% wins ( 2 losses )

guess distribution: 1-0, 2-4, 3-19, 4-25, 5-17, 6-10.

It’s the guess #6 that always makes me panic!  “Phew” lol!

If I ever did guess Wordle on the first try I feel like there should be an ultimate grand prize sent to my home or something!  Statistically I wonder what the chances are to ever get in one guess?

• Like 1

• Members

I know it silly to be concerned about statistics in wordle. There's no grand prize.  But no matter, I am really wanting to get my percentage up to 99%.  I don't think I can get it back to 100%, as I have lost twice.  

Right now I have played 131 games with 2 losses. 129/131 = 98.473.  If I win a few more games and get over 98.5 I think my percentage will round up to 99%.  

I just can't lose .... oh the pressure.  😉

• Like 2

• Members
7 hours ago, SSC said:

. . .  Statistically I wonder what the chances are to ever get in one guess?

According to the internet, which I always consider with some skepticism,  there are 12,972  five letter words.

So I suppose our chances of guessing the correct word on the first try is 1 out of 12,972 or 0.0077%

Just found another site that said NYT only uses 2,000 to 2,500 five letter words.  So our odds of picking the right one on the first try is better than my calculations above. 

1/2,000 = 0.05%

1/2,500 = 0.04%

• Like 1

• Members

Well I have worked my way back to 99%. I have played 134 games with 2 losses. 

I believe this is likely as good as it gets.  I would have to win another 266 games to have my percentage round up from 99% to 100%.  That seems highly improbable. 

So I will bask in the accomplishment of regaining my 99% for as long as it lasts. 

Gail

• Like 2

• Members
On 5/10/2022 at 7:30 PM, MomsLovingSon said:

ha, I was just about to post to say that this has almost always (in my ~3 months of playing) been my go to opening word. Pretty appropriate pick for a user of this site too.

Maybe that’s why it came to mind, though more likely it’s due to my language geeky brain knowing the most common letters to try.

I still don’t understand how the NYT counts the win tally. I haven’t missed or skipped a day, but after 29 in a row, it once again set my winning streak to zero. Sigh.

Oh well, I know what’s correct. My win overall is up to 98%. Darn those two early misses.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 6/21/2022 at 1:28 AM, Gail 8588 said:

My most frequent is 4 guesses.

Yep, me too. Next highest is three, then five. I got it in one once just by being a smart___ and putting in a random word that popped into my mind. I have a few two and six try words. It just seems like four let’s me use the first three to narrow down the available letters and place at least one correctly. Then comes the “Ah ha!” moment.

• Like 2

• Members
MomsLovingSon
2 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Maybe that’s why it came to mind, though more likely it’s due to my language geeky brain knowing the most common letters to try.

I still don’t understand how the NYT counts the win tally. I haven’t missed or skipped a day, but after 29 in a row, it once again set my winning streak to zero. Sigh.

Oh well, I know what’s correct. My win overall is up to 98%. Darn those two early misses.

I think maybe it gets reset if you miss a day or something. I'm up to a total of 116 games played with a streak of 47. My winning percentage is only 92% but I'm pretty sure it's because I've had times where I closed a tab and forgot about playing for the rest of that day; in total I think I've only ever actually failed on a word about 3-4 times.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I'm just getting back into this. I didn't keep track of how many total games I played (it was interrupted a few times so the stats that pop up are mostly meaningless)...I think I've missed twice but no idea how many games I've played. I'm mostly in the four guesses area too. I almost always use the first two to eliminate letters. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

whoo took six today, but because I stupidly tried a letter I'd already eliminated...I HATE when I do that lol 

• Members

Don't feel alone. I did that on Wednesday's wordle too. Wednesday took me 5.

Thursday is 4 for me. 

Gail

• Members

Ha! I read about a variation on Wordle called "Heardle" which I figured must be a name-that-tune puzzle. I checked it out and guessed today's puzzle in one second! I don't know if it always be that easy for me but I'm looking forward to tomorrow's puzzle....  https://www.heardle.app/

• Members
foreverhis

Today’s Wordle almost got me! Took me five tries and I was really iffy about that fifth one. Phew.

• Members

I am focused on extending my winning streak. I generally use my first 3 guesses to use 15 different letters.  Then I begin trying to find the correct word. I am pleased with a 4 or 5 and content with a 6.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Today’s Wordle almost got me! Took me five tries and I was really iffy about that fifth one. Phew.

I am totally in full on dementia I think. I had all the letters but for some reason concluded one of them was a wrong letter (in yellow). doh. But because I didn't have that letter and there was no viable word left, I did a "pass" and didn't count it as a win or loss. Still trying to build back up to my record...

• Like 1

• Members

6 for me for Thursday's puzzle.  And on my 6th guess I still had 2 equally valid choices.  It was a 50/50 chance I'd end my streak. 

But I kept my streak going. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Busted on Thurs. :mad: "agape?" Seriously? Who uses that word? 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
MomsLovingSon

Took 4 tries to get it today, but I easily could have gotten it in 2 if luck had been on my side. I had 4 yellow letters from my first pick, then had the first 4 letters of the word in the correct order for my second and third tries until finally getting the whole word. That's how it seems to be lately, if it's a coin flip to pick the missing letter I keep seeming to pick the wrong option to start lol.

Anyways, I'm up to a streak of 62.

• Like 3

• Members

It was almost the same for me.  I had the first four letters right on the first try but it took me til the fourth try to get the last letter. Ugh.  

• Like 2

• Members

Same with me on Saturday. My first guess was STEAL and it still took me 4 tries to get the correct word.

Just did Sunday's wordle, also in 4 tries. My winning streak is now 83.  One of these days my streak will end, but not today. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Today's in 5 and if that wasn't the word, I was hosed. I hate words like this one for reasons I won't explain yet in case someone is working it... 

• Members

5 for me today also.  

I am using the strategy of eliminating 15 letters in my first 3 guesses. 

So I am always going to be 4, 5, or 6.  Hopefully not 7.

• Members
MomsLovingSon
On 7/10/2022 at 12:36 AM, Gail 8588 said:

Same with me on Saturday. My first guess was STEAL and it still took me 4 tries to get the correct word.

Yeah, for me I think I went "STEAM" for that second try, then "STEAL" for the third and then got it on the fourth try.

• Members
MomsLovingSon

Just had my 66 day streak snap :( After three guesses I had the 2nd, 4rd and 5th letters correct, and then only got the 3rd letter on the last chance.

• Confused 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Hasbro is now making Wordle into a board game.  Now to have enough friends who would want to play with me is the problem…

• Haha 1

• Moderators

I accidentally saw today's word elsewhere so disqualified myself for today's guessing and just as well. What the heck is THAT? I had to look it up, doubt I ever would have got it.

• Like 2