Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• Gail 8588

• MomsLovingSon

• SSC

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

On 3/3/2022 at 9:53 AM, SSC said:

Appropriate word for us in wordle today.

Yes thought of that too.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:39 PM, reader said:

I love it as well. I found some different versions to feed my addiction.:-)

https://www.cnet.com/tech/gaming/wordle-like-games-that-will-satisfy-your-puzzle-cravings/

Thanks! I can't play the "mega wordle" ones, just too much for me, but the others that are a twist on wordle I'll check. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I read elsewhere someone was using a 1-2 combo of LOUSE and TRAIN, which is good because it hits all the vowels and common consonants. I've seen others too, like STEAM and ROUND which does similar etc.

• Like 1

• Members

Hi widower2,

Understandable.:-) 

I really play around with my words and sometimes use house, place, earth and see where it takes me.

There is also a spelling bee game that I like from the New York Times. I'm thinking maybe I should subscribe just to play them all.:-)

• Like 2

• Moderators

I used to do online crosswords but the one I used to like changed its format and I haven't found one I like since.

• Like 1

• Members

I haven’t ever found an online one I like.  I do occasionally play “Wordscapes” if I’m really bored but it isn’t a crosswords puzzle game.  

• Like 1

• Members

I hear you guys and it's so hard to find good online games. The New York Times has some good ones but they have a yearly subscription. I'll have to keep looking.

• Moderators

That's what I heard too. Not paying for it. Wordle will do for now. :) 

• Like 1

• Members

Sorry I missed this discussion before.  I have been doing Wordle for 43 days now. I really enjoy it.

NYT has several games daily that are free.  The Mini Crossword, Letter Boxed, Spelling Bee, and Tiles.  I like Letter Boxed the best of those free games.   

I am not a good crossword puzzle person, and don't generally attempt them, but I do play the Mini occasionally.  The Tiles game doesn't interest me.  But I generally always do Letter Boxed and Spelling Bee.  I seem to be more attached to Wordle than any of the others.

Letter Boxed has a  similar feel to Wordle, to me.  (You have 9 letters placed around a box. You try to spell words that use up all 9 letters. The fewer number of words you need to use all 9 letters the better.  At least in my mind.)  Most days I can use all the letters in 4 words. When I accomplish it in 3 words, I feel very proud of myself.  You don't get a statistics summary like you get in Wordle. But I know solving in just 3 words is pretty rare for me. 

Gail

• Like 2

• Moderators

There have been several lately that were easy to get close but then many possible answers...haven't stumped me yet but got close! 

• Members

@widower2. I agree, there have been several times when I have had 4 letters in the correct location, just needing to insert the final consonant. The trouble was there were more possible choices than guesses remaining.  

At that point it is sort of dumb luck whether you guess the winning consonant out of 6 or 7  equally valid options. 

I also have luckily made the right choice to keep my winning streak going, but one game it was my 6th try!  

Still fun.

Gail

• Members

I agree, ugh.  

I like the puzzle better when it seems to be more skill (recognizing letter patterns, thinking of uncommon words, etc.) than when it is just luck (picking the one correct consonant out of a list of possible words that all could be the correct one).

I don't feel too bad when I lose in one of those situations, because it is just random which word is the right word. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Knock on wood the last few have been pretty easy.

• Like 1

• Members
On 3/12/2022 at 5:37 PM, widower2 said:

I read elsewhere someone was using a 1-2 combo of LOUSE and TRAIN, which is good because it hits all the vowels and common consonants. I've seen others too, like STEAM and ROUND which does similar etc.

I have been using TEARS and then HOUND if necessary. Those two use eight of the nine most commonly used letters in the English language. I think I should come up with a second word that includes I instead of U because I is used more often, but those two have been pretty successful.

For non-English majors or anyone who hasn’t heard the mnemonic, it’s ETOARNISH. That’s in usage order—or at least, it was. I have no idea if 21st Century tech and new words added to the OED have changed it.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've been cruising through them lately...I fear we're due for a tough one. I hate those double letter words!

• Like 1

• Members

I failed at wordle today. Broke my 54 day winning streak.  Starting at zero tomorrow. 

• Sad 1

• Moderators

I busted awhile back. I'm back up to 16 but a ways to go to match my record-!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I got the last two very quickly (three guesses). Why do I feel like I'm being set up? 

• Haha 1

• Members

I think it is the luck of the draw on the first word. 

I do think the game is designed to let us feel good about ourselves, and I thank the designer for that. The whole world needs to be lifted up just a bit. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think the first word or two the idea is eliminate options. 

Anyway today's is driving me nuts! I don't think I'm going to get it 

• Members

I agree. Eliminating letters really narrows the pool of words possible when you have a couple of letters in the right spots. 

I got very lucky on my 3 guess as I had identified 5 words that could work with the letters I had in place and the letters I had not eliminated.

Tuesday's wordle in 3 brought my tiny winning streak to  7.

• Like 1

• Members

I solved wordle in 2 today.  Very unusual for me. My most frequent is 4 guesses.

Today I had 4 correct letters on my first try, with one in the correct spot.  It makes all the difference how lucky you are on that 1st guess.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Wow props, I never did two.

Today's almost got me, even though I had three letters all correctly placed after three guesses. 

• Like 1

• Members
Gail 8588

The past 2 days it took me 5, and I wasn't at all confident on either one.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I luckily heard that the one that was HOMER the day was slang and British slang at that, so I passed. ugh totally unfair! I don't count that against the streak. :)  

• Members
Gail 8588

Almost time for Sunday's wordle.  

Since I am always up well past midnight I often work on wordle when they first come up. 

• Members
foreverhis
13 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Almost time for Sunday's wordle.  

Since I am always up well past midnight I often work on wordle when they first come up. 

Hi Gail. I almost didn’t get today’s Wordle! It took to the fifth try. I actually used that word just to see if I had other letters in the right place for my last try. Phew!

I do not understand how the NYT keeps our stats though. I had missed two during my first 15-20 (though in my defense, one was when I didn’t know about using a letter twice). Since then, I have done about 25 correctly with no misses and haven’t skipped a day. Yet suddenly, their stats say my current winning streak is 4! WTH? No it should say somewhere in the 20s! I know what it should be and it’s not as if anyone except me is checking, but it irks me anyway.

Also, Happy Mother’s Day.:wub2:

• Members
Gail 8588
6 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Hi Gail. I almost didn’t get today’s Wordle! It took to the fifth try. I actually used that word just to see if I had other letters in the right place for my last try. Phew!

I do not understand how the NYT keeps our stats though. I had missed two during my first 15-20 (though in my defense, one was when I didn’t know about using a letter twice). Since then, I have done about 25 correctly with no misses and haven’t skipped a day. Yet suddenly, their stats say my current winning streak is 4! WTH? No it should say somewhere in the 20s! I know what it should be and it’s not as if anyone except me is checking, but it irks me anyway.

Also, Happy Mother’s Day.:wub2:

Foreverhis, 

All I can think of is maybe you missed playing one day.  My son was dismayed to find that when he skipped a day it ended his winning streak.  It didn't count as a loss. (You can add up the number of games you have won in 2 guesses plus 3 guesses plus 4 guesses etc for your total number of wins.)  In your stats the first statistic listed is the total number of games played.  Probably the difference between the two (games played minus games won), will be 2 - the number of games you know you lost. 

So if your winning streak reset to zero but it didn't log another loss, probably you were just busy with life one day and failed to play. 

Otherwise it's just a mystery. 

Gail

• Moderators

Today's word was a BS "word" IMO so I passed. Don't count this against my streak :) 

• Members
Gail 8588

Are you talking about Sunday's wordle, which I thought was not common but not archaic or foreign?  

Saturday's wordle seemed more uncommon to me. 

• Moderators

I'm talking about CANNY. I have never heard or even read that word ever. Uncanny I have, but not canny.

Today's I got almost immediately. Love those :) 

• Members

FWIW @widower2, I find it canny how you decide to play Wordle on your terms! ;)

we take this “game” seriously!  I look forward to it every m:)orning 

• Like 1

• Members

@widower2 Canny is certainly not a word regularly used in the USA, but I was familiar with it, maybe from Aesop's fables with canny foxes cleverly outwitting other characters. 

Midst seemed even less common to me.  

Yesterday's word was straightforward. Today's (Tuesday) is a bit more challenging.

SSC, like you I look forward to each new wordle.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I like it too. It's a nice little diversion but (usually!) doesn't take up a lot of time or gets too involved. Not really into computer games so this is about it for me.

"Midst" is a little dicey IMO but more common than canny. Canny to me sounds like something with a can quality. :)  

• Members
MomsLovingSon
On 4/18/2022 at 1:47 PM, foreverhis said:

I have been using TEARS

ha, I was just about to post to say that this has almost always (in my ~3 months of playing) been my go to opening word. Pretty appropriate pick for a user of this site too.

• Like 1