Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Wordle!

widower2

• Members

Widower2,

It was a word I was familiar with, living in a very buggy environment.  Swarms are often encountered near water. 

I have thought several words would only be known regionally.  I suppose it will even out over time as words only used in snowy climates and words describing western rock formations and words associated with various regional flora and fauna rotate through the wordle universe. That one was from the marshy boggy regions of the country. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• Gail 8588

• MomsLovingSon

• SSC

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
MomsLovingSon

Went to play today and I see my score has been wiped for whatever reason. I think I had about 150 saved games or so and my longest streak was 66 (which was broken just recently.) Ended up making a NYT account just so it won't get wiped again lol.

Anyways, back to square one and I got today's word in 3 tries.

• Members

That's terrible.  Sorry your statistics got wiped out.  Since there is no prize, those statistics are the only motivation for keeping at it. 

Frankly, I am getting a little tired of the pressure to play everyday.  I think if my stats got wiped out I might just drop out of the national wordle obsession. 

• Members
MomsLovingSon
57 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

That's terrible.  Sorry your statistics got wiped out.  Since there is no prize, those statistics are the only motivation for keeping at it. 

Frankly, I am getting a little tired of the pressure to play everyday.  I think if my stats got wiped out I might just drop out of the national wordle obsession. 

It sucks that they got wiped but it's okay. It's a shame though since I'm someone who definitely likes tracking stuff like that. On the bright side, I just got today's word in 3 tries just like yesterday so these new stats are looking very good lol. I know my average for my old stats were really starting to creep up near the end. I had done the math like a day or two before they were wiped and I was up to an average of like 3.95.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 7/23/2022 at 11:27 PM, Gail 8588 said:

Widower2,

It was a word I was familiar with, living in a very buggy environment.  Swarms are often encountered near water. 

I live in a very buggy environment. And not far from water. :) Never heard of the word. Apparently it's just another word for "gnat," which I've known since I was a kid. 

• Members
On 7/23/2022 at 7:37 PM, widower2 said:

I accidentally saw today's word elsewhere so disqualified myself for today's guessing and just as well. What the heck is THAT? I had to look it up, doubt I ever would have got it.

I got it on the SIXTH try.  Phew.  I should have figured it out sooner.  Here on the coast in an agricultural area, we have the little beasties every summer.  Plus, we have family and friends in Virginia by the Rappahannock and Piankatank rivers.  Add family friends' horse ranch to the delta marshes and it's a feeding frenzy.  Yuck.

I just did today's (28th) and got it on the second try.  Yay!

My streak is back up to 48 in their records, but that's only because I must have missed a day and lost my statistics.  If I added what I lost, I'd be between 80 and 90.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:21 AM, Gail 8588 said:

My streak is now up to 99.  The pressure mounts. :(

We're rooting for you Gail!

• Like 2

• Members
On 7/24/2022 at 8:08 PM, Gail 8588 said:

Usually, I am unable to sleep until after midnight-ish, so I tend to do it right before bed.  And now it's off to bed to (I hope) sleep for a while.  Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get back to a normal sleeping pattern.

• Members

Wow...I did today's Wordle with two guesses again. I needed a day brightener! 

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I got it on the SIXTH try.  Phew.  I should have figured it out sooner.  Here on the coast in an agricultural area, we have the little beasties every summer.  Plus, we have family and friends in Virginia by the Rappahannock and Piankatank rivers.

Hey that's right up the road from me - but I have never heard anyone call anything a "midge." pffft.

They've had some nasty ones lately! The other day one with not one but two double letters. That should not be legal. 

• Like 1

• Members
49 minutes ago, widower2 said:

They've had some nasty ones lately! The other day one with not one but two double letters. That should not be legal. 

I can't remember which word it was now but it was just a few days ago. I had the last four letters but it took me four guesses before I chose the right one. One of those words that has a lot of rhyming companions. 

• Members
MomsLovingSon

Just got today's word in 2 tries. Going back to before my scores were wiped I've done it five times now (in about 175 games or so.)

• Members
10 hours ago, widower2 said:

Hey that's right up the road from me - but I have never heard anyone call anything a "midge." pffft.

I guess there are different names for midges?  My great aunt and aunt in Virginia and their friends called them midges, but I think my grandma called them gnats.  We call them gnats even though I know they are technically midges.

I have to confess that I love saying I have family in Deltaville "on the shores of the Piankatank.":D  Too bad my grandma was both the black sheep (BS in Science and credential; teacher at boys high school; lived in a boarding house instead of at home; was a flapper; didn't marry until nearly 30!  Oh my!) and the youngest of 13 children (and a girl, of course).  The oldest boys inherited the plantation, property, and the rest of the estate.  OTOH, she always said she didn't want blood money anyway because it had been an actual plantation.

Yes, they have had some doozies recently!  And two sets of double letters are just so wrong.  Though I did get that one in my typical four guesses.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I guess there are different names for midges?  My great aunt and aunt in Virginia and their friends called them midges, but I think my grandma called them gnats.  We call them gnats even though I know they are technically midges.

Maybe it's a generational thing :) As far as I can tell, gnats = midges (= exasperatingly annoying tiny flying things)

Yes, they have had some doozies recently!  And two sets of double letters are just so wrong.  Though I did get that one in my typical four guesses.

Me too but I got lucky on a guess that netted me the extra "O" and I knew it had to be the last letter. whew

• Like 1

• Moderators

Wordle is still not playing nice! COYLY almost got me.

• Like 2

• Members
11 hours ago, widower2 said:

Wordle is still not playing nice! COYLY almost got me.

Yep...that one threw me for a loop as well. I was down to my sixth guess. I had the "o" and "ly". I had already ruled out that there wasn't another "l" to make "jolly" or "holly". I walked away for awhile and came back to it because I was determined not to lose my long winning streak...and thankfully, I figured it out. 

• Like 1

• Members

I'm still staying alive. I'm happy if I get the word even if it takes me 6 tries.  Streak is now 108.

• Like 4

• Moderators

9 hours ago, DWS said:

Yep...that one threw me for a loop as well. I was down to my sixth guess. I had the "o" and "ly". I had already ruled out that there wasn't another "l" to make "jolly" or "holly". I walked away for awhile and came back to it because I was determined not to lose my long winning streak...and thankfully, I figured it out. 

That's exactly what happened to me. I eliminated an extra L and extra O (like for WOOLY) and COYLY was all I saw.

3 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I'm still staying alive. I'm happy if I get the word even if it takes me 6 tries.  Streak is now 108.

Wow! I've never gotten near that high.

• Like 1

• Members
MomsLovingSon

Just did today's Wordle. Had two yellow letters on my first attempt but got the word on my second guess haha. Since my scores got reset on me I'm 15 for 15.

• Like 3

• Members

Good for you MomsLovingSon!

I love playing Wordle still.  While I'm there I also like to play the Spelling Bee and Letter Box games as well.

• Like 2

• Moderators

argh! "PATTY" busted me the other day. I had two guesses left and three possible answers (I also had CATTY AND BATTY). I hate those with many possible answers!

• Like 1

• Members

There were a surprising number of words ending in unky.  I got Hunky on my 6th guess.  Just barely keeping my streak alive.

Gail

• Like 1

• Members

I hate these types of words too.  Lucky for me, I had the first letter after two tries.  Otherwise….PANIC!

• Like 1

• Members
MomsLovingSon

30 for 30 now after the reset, and I got today's word in 2 tries again. I think in my first 145 games or so before my reset I only did that four times, but in these 30 I've done it three times lol.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I got today's (Monday's) wordle in 3, which is very good for me. 

I am approaching 200 games. Currently at 194. Streak is 126, so I play a very low risk strategy to keep my streak going.

I am enjoying playing quordle at quordle.com. you play 4 games at once, but you have 9 guesses. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Wow Gail.....I'll never get there just playing the NY Times version. I might go to the other one I listed above :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Excellent point. So you don't binge on shows then I take it ;) 

• Like 1

• Members

I haven't binged anything lately.  I really haven't been watching TV much lately.  Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing.  I am having a hard time getting motivated to do much of anything.

Hoping this lethargy will pass.  Don't want to sink down into a depression. 

Gail

• Like 3

• Members
MomsLovingSon

I somehow just got today's word in only 2 attempts. All I had after my first guess was the middle letter (and no yellow ones.) I had two words I considered trying on my second attempt and got lucky lol.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I didn't want to give away any clues yesterday by posting my frustration with that day's word but I just about didn't get it because I was thinking the game doesn't use comparative words...ie. words ending in "er". But with no other options, I did type it in on the sixth guess and lo and behold, that was the word. Gah!

• Moderators

I busted on that one, exactly for the reason you stated, they never used such words. That really pisses me off. :mad:

Today's word was kind of BS too IMO.  (I'd say more but there isn't a spoiler tag available here) 

• Members

I agree!  I lucked out and got it in 6 tries but was irritated with the “er” word.  I thought words ending in s, er, ed, ing…were technically not considered a five letter word.  Well, you all know what I mean.  It felt like they cheated on that one!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think they are getting worse and worse about trying to trip people up; it's getting annoying tbh. It's like a cop in a speed traip.

• Members

I look at all 5 letter words I see and evaluate them as Wordle possibilities.  I saw an ad for halloween costumes that were described as "eerie"  and immediately thought That's a great wordle.

• Like 1

• Moderators

aaaaaaah a TRIPLE letter word? Don't say that too loudly! That's a horrible wordle! :) 

• Like 1

• Members

I have had several close calls of 6 lately, but have managed to keep my streak going.  ALPHA and TIBIA were both 6s and there were a couple of others. 

Streak is at 150 now. I know one day soon I'll fall short, but for now I smile even when it takes me 6. 

Gail

• Like 1

• Moderators

? I don't recall either of those words, at least not recently. Your streak is impressive! The summer wasn't kind to me; I busted a few times. But most of them were "bogus" words IMO (like RARER). I also notice now they're including slang (BOOZE recently for example), which is IMO lame. 

• Members

Today was a sad day. I lost my long winning streak with today's stupid word. And I was doing really well this week...getting the words within three and four guesses...but I'm back to a fresh start tomorrow I guess. :angry::sad:

• Members

@DWS. I had trouble with today's word too.  I got it on my 6th try, but there were several valid options left, so it was just luck I survived.

It's silly how invested we get in this game where there is no prize.

Sorry your streak ended. I know that day is coming for me soon.

• Like 1

• Members
11 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Sorry your streak ended. I know that day is coming for me soon.

Thanks, Gail. I think what really irked me the most is I established four of the five letters on my second guess and quietly boasted that this was going to be easy. :mellow2:

• Hugs 1

• Members

I think my partner Tom was with me when I approached yesterday's Wordle puzzle. After being defeated the day before, I got yesterday's word in two guesses! For my first guess, I chose to use my his last name which has five letters. It only contains two of the most common letters and the others are hit and miss but I looked at his smiling face in the photo at my desk and said I'm using your name. Ba-bam! Three letters right where they needed to be and from there, I chose the correct word on my second guess. I looked at his photo and said "we did it"!

• Hugs 2

• Members

Oh my God, I just played today's Wordle and it was the must enraging one ever lmao. On my first guess I actually correctly had ALL of the letters except for the 4th one. I ended up solving the word on the 5th try because I kept picking the obvious (to me at least) words. I had such an amazing start just for it to get ruined by having so many options to choose from lmao.

Anyways, my streak is up to 58 now. I'd be at a little over 200 had I not been hit by it resetting on me. I've definitely been playing worse though. It's taking me 4.10 tries on average to get the word whereas it was under 4 before the reset.

• Hugs 1

• Members

@MomsLovingSon There have been quite a few difficult words lately. I have had several 6s, which are always frightening. 

I'm trying to play cautiously, eliminating lots of letters. But that approach means I rarely solve in less than 4 tries.

My most often number of guesses used to be 4, with 3 a close second.  Now, with my more cautious approach, 5 is most common with 4 and 6 close behind. 

So far keeping my streak alive.

• Like 1

• Members
6 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

@MomsLovingSon There have been quite a few difficult words lately. I have had several 6s, which are always frightening. 

I'm trying to play cautiously, eliminating lots of letters. But that approach means I rarely solve in less than 4 tries.

My most often number of guesses used to be 4, with 3 a close second.  Now, with my more cautious approach, 5 is most common with 4 and 6 close behind. 

So far keeping my streak alive.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed there have been some frustrating ones in the last few weeks for sure. Out of my games in my streak of 58 I've only needed to use all six attempts 3 times which isn't too bad. 21 of them have been solved in four attempts, followed by 19 of them in five attempts. At one point point getting it in three attempts (I've done that 11 times) was my second most common result, but lately everything seems to be taking five tries, with today's game being the the most annoying example of this that I've ever had lol.

• Moderators

Today's word was total BS and I'm sooo close to saying to hell w/the NY Times version of this. That word is effectively non-existent, at least in the USA.