Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my wife.

KMkm

• Members

JorisV:  Welcome to our board of caring, sympathetic people who are all very sorry for your loss. Please continue to post here. We try to help each other get through each and every day.

• Like 2

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• KMkm

• RichS

• Scott56

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
HisMunchkin
18 hours ago, JorisV said:

Songs (I am a music man, love music all my life, but I'm not at all a musician) and pets (I have 2 dogs), don't ease the pain for me.  Friends do, a little, and in times like this, you learn to know who are your real friends. My girlfriend passed away 15 days ago, after being sick (pneumonia in combination with breathing problems) for only 2-3 weeks. The worst is, in my opinion, she didn't have to die, her death is I'm quite sure the result of the wrong medication, or at least a wrong combination of meds. Who gives meds that can often cause breathing problems to someone who already has breathing problems? "Giving Up" isn't in my "book of life", I never give up, but this time, I think in that direction. She was 46, I'm 64, she is Filipina, I'm from Belgium, Europe. I have a business, but lost interest in it. I'm thinking "What's the use to stay alive?".

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Welcome to the board! 

• Like 4

• Members
1 hour ago, KMkm said:

I'm still here 2 years later and I pray to my wife that she will give me the strength to be here for many more even if it means I won't see her for a while. 

That's my prayer for myself as well. I've got family who needs me.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I have now faced the reality of my actions.  I spent almost two years not taking care of myself. I found out that I have diabetes and my glucose and A1C is very high.  This is a lesson a learned about how important it is to drink, eat, exercise and rest.  My doctor has informed me that my inability to take the necessary steps to ensure my health will take its toll on me. I begged my wife and God for the strength to continue on and sometimes I feel like my stubbornness to accept reality cause me more pain in the end.  I will be now taking medication and also be advised my a dietitian.  I hope that my story will help others to understand what happens when you stop eating, drinking and well pretty much taking care of yourself.  I'm going to start eating small amount during throughout the day and I hope that my body can recover.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

I fasted for 16 hrs a day everyday for almost a year. I would only eat around 6 to 8 pm and sometimes not for a few days.  No snacking and when I ate I only ate meat and veggies.  I would have a coffee in the am sometimes.

• Like 3

• Members

My glucose level is 26 and my A1C is 12.  My triglyceride is 2.7

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

That's an extremely high A1C.  Note, lack of sleep can affect it, as can coffee in some people.  Triglycerides are targeted to be under 100, never heard of 2.7, often in the 100s when diabetic. Mine was 290 and is now 83, which is a good number.  My HDL years ago was 39, is now 96, also a good number.

• Like 1

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 2/9/2024 at 10:18 AM, KMkm said:

I have now faced the reality of my actions.  I spent almost two years not taking care of myself. I found out that I have diabetes and my glucose and A1C is very high.  This is a lesson a learned about how important it is to drink, eat, exercise and rest.  My doctor has informed me that my inability to take the necessary steps to ensure my health will take its toll on me. I begged my wife and God for the strength to continue on and sometimes I feel like my stubbornness to accept reality cause me more pain in the end.  I will be now taking medication and also be advised my a dietitian.  I hope that my story will help others to understand what happens when you stop eating, drinking and well pretty much taking care of yourself.  I'm going to start eating small amount during throughout the day and I hope that my body can recover.  

So sorry to hear that you have Diabetes and your glucose and A1C are both high.  Hopefully you’ll take care of yourself now by eating healthy and exercise.

I found out last year that I was pre-diabetic and my cholesterol is high and didn’t start addressing these issues until this week.  I’m scared about my high cholesterol cuz it can cause cardiovascular disease and it takes 3-6 months for cholesterol levels to decrease in your bloodstream. Also exercise is supposed to decrease your cholesterol and keep your heart healthy which is something I’m not playing around with cuz I wanna live a long healthy life. 

• Like 3

• Members

Whatever helps to get through the tough times is ok.  The only issue is how much it's used to numb the pain.  Eventually it either becomes a problem or it becomes an issue by not facing grief.  I don't know if it works for everyone but I attend a grief group.  It allows me to face the pain and heal.  Avoiding the sadness and pain doesn't help.  Either we learn to live with it and embrace the discomfort or it destroys us from within.   This is only my opinion and may not work for everyone.  I have tried thc, cbd, mushrooms and work.  I don't turn to alcohol because it affects me negatively and makes me feel out of control.  All I can say is that those who have lost someone special now live with grief.  It will never be gone but it can be embraced in a way to feel those who are not with us anymore.  I never want the pain to be gone completely but I want to be able to live a happy life.  Living each day with purpose and joy.  I cry every day cause I miss my wife so much but I know she is waiting for me, she is watching me and sharing each moment.  I don't want to finally meet my wife and find out that she shared my life watching me be sad and sit in despair and anger.  I want her to tell me that she is proud of me and loved spending time and experiencing every moment.  Watching me and the kids laughing, traveling and embracing our future together as a family.  Don't be scared of the pain.  It's going to be ok.  Stay strong my friends.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
vvjoris
On 2/17/2024 at 12:12 AM, Sim7079 said:

I know for me alcohol was something I needed when feeling really low and sad & helped me feel better - of course it’s not something you can do too often or regular as others have said & I can say it’s deffo not an everyday thing like in the early months - so a good thing.

Drinking alcoholic beverages (esp rum) helps me to fall asleep when it's bedtime. It doesn't mean I drink all the time, I know that is dangerous, and it's possible to get hooked on it, becoming an alcoholic. To me it's fine to have a drink, but not fine to exaggerate that.

• Like 3

• Members
14 minutes ago, KMkm said:

But I could have also screamed and yelled and made them feel worse.  I felt like it and for some reason I didn't, but not because of restraint or exhaustion.  It was because I don't see any good in it, especially when they already knew that they had done something wrong.

You handled the situation well. These days, one of the benefits of my indifference is to only focus on the the big problems of my life (grief being at the top of the list). The other stuff is minor and often stuff we can control, anyway. I find that doing this has cut down on my stress level.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1