Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of a Teenager

katebe

• Members

hello everyone,today would have been melody's 29 birthday and i am not able to go to her memorial and wish her a happy birthday, so i guesse it will be ok to leave it here.i took her birthday card out to the cemetary this morning and sang happy birthday to her.i felt better and did my alone time with her but i wish she could have felt my hug.well happy birthday melody and to everyone else who is having one today.may god bless you all.melodys mom

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
jamiedawnsmom

Melody's Mom, I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you today on Melody's 29th birthday. I know this can't be an easy day for you. I'd like to join you in sending birthday wishes to Melody - all 29 of them. Take Care.

Renee

• Members

Melodys mom,

You're in my thoughts today and I hope it helps somehow to know that I care about what you are experiencing today on Melody's 29th Birthday.

Sending hugs your way-

Wadesmom

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Happy Birthday Melody! You are so missed. Hugs, Claudia

• Members

Today is 3 years that I lost my 19 year old daughter in a car accident. I miss her horribly and I am not sure what I can do today to send her the message of how much I love her. She is still a part of my everyday life, she is a part of me. I don't like to make too much of this day, as it is the worst day of my life. I am so glad to have had the 19 years that I did, and have come so far in my healing. This day just takes me back to day one. I love you Courtney.

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Dear Candis, I believe with my whole heart that Courtney knows how very much you love her and miss her. I pray that your love for Courtney and the blessings she brought to your life will sustain you until the day you are reunited with her in Heaven. Hugs, Claudia

• Members

Candis, my thoughts are with u as well. It's just been a little over 3 months for me, i cannot imagine 3 years....wow...my son 17 killed by a drunk driver as u all know.

Gosh, I'm so sad tonight....((HUGS)) to all...

Kathy mom to Anthony

• Members

well i have no idea where to begin other thento say thankyou all for your ind words,i am really in pain, my husband passed away monday night (on melodys 29th birthday of a heart attack.please keep my family in your prayers,i will check in from time to time,thankyou and i love you all so very much,melodys mom and joes wife....

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Angel, Oh my gosh! I am SO SORRY to hear this. I wish there was something more I could do, but I am praying for you and will continue pryaing for you. I am so very sorry...

• Members

hi to all,i know that this is not the room for loosing a soul mater so i will find that room,i just wanted to say thankyou for the sweet replies,and let you all know that i laid my husband to rest today.i am trying real hard to be strong ,it is xtra hard now but with the love of god i can keep smiling.

thankyou all for the kind words and prayers.love to all melody's mom and joes wife

• Members

I am so sorry for the loss of your husband and daughter. I hope you have family close by to help you through this.

Hugs

Jo Sara's mom

• Members

Hi all, I havent posted for a bit. Since Anthony was killed by a drunk driver on Dec. 15th 06 our community has faced 6 more tragedies....it has been unbeilvable.

Anthony 17 - killed by drunk driver

Tim 17- fell of a skateboard died of head injuries, freak accident

Corrina 17 - same week was in a single car crash in the snow, died of sever head injuries

A boy - 14 - we think committed suicide by driving his mother car into a pole

An 18 year old, his friend while placing flowers at his crash site was hit by a hit and run driver and killed.

Friday night, 2 girls, Marissa 19 - died from car accident

Her friend, the driver Tiffany is in critical condition fighting for her life.

All of these kids are from the same community, each are from the same school district, Warwick, and it's just been crazy, i pray that this stops.

I don't think I can take anymore or the kids.

anyway, i'm having good days and bad. Weekend are hard, it's getting warmer and i just know Anthony would be out playing basketball, riding the ATV, just out doing boy stuff...i miss him so much.

We are planning a Candle Night Vigil for April 22, one week after his 4 months he has been gone, but, two of his best friends are leaving the Army and have drills the weekend of the 15th and it's very important to me that they are there before they go back in May.

Pray for them...Anthony I hope you can stay by there side and keep them safe.

Love and miss you....mom kathy xoxoox

• Guests
Guest Guest

Hello ... My name is Teresa and i lost my only child on Mrach 25, 2007. My Daughter, Emily was killed in a vehicle accident. I laid her to rest on Thursday. I am feeling very numb and overwhelmed all at the same time. Not sure where to go or what to do. Just lost.

Thanks, Teresa

• Members

Teresa,

I am so sorry for your loss. It's confusing, unsettling and painful to lose a child, and I am so sorry that you have joined us, yet thankful that you found this website because I have gained insight and knowledge from the parents on BI just from reading their posts. After a period of time I felt ok with posting and I have learned that the parents on BI really care, and we all share so very much in common, even though we "wished" we didn't. Even if you have a good support system with family/friends/church family etc. It is comforting to be able to discuss things on BI because they truly understand and are not judgemental of what we may be going thru at that particular time.

A few things that I have found helpful. Take care of yourself Teresa, be kind to yourself and take it one day at a time.

Take care

Wadesmom

• Members

Teresa, for my it's only been 3 months and i'm still numb, and find myself angry. But please lean on your family, they are there for anything, makes phone calls for you, do daily things for you....they want to help...they will do anything and it will make u feel a little bit better.

I have struggled with this since my only son was takin by a drunk driver, he was just coming home from work....and for me it drags on for the court stuff.

Wadesmom is right, take care of yourself...you need to sleep...you need to eat....cry do whatever u need to do.

The other great people here have had there loved one gone a little bit longer and they are right, time does seem to ease the pain A LITTLE BIT....but it's little. Talk about your daughter, I talk to and about Anthony every single day. They are still with us...we just can't touch them.

Love and hugs and prays.....

Anthony's mom....Kathy

• Members

Tiffany who was fighting for her life was removed from life support this morning. she was 19. The 5th wonderful child we have lost. This is just nuts...i really do not understand what is going on?????????????

luv u anthony

mom...kathy

• Members
crimsonstarr100

I would like to thank you all for responding to my post. I was given this site by one of my daughters teachers who recently lost a child and He said this site helped him a great deal. I have a great deal of faith which has helped me so far but my strenght seems to be failing me at times. I have alsways been a strong person and have been there for my family and friends in time of need. It is very hard for me to admit that i need help as i am seen as the strong one. I do have a wonderful family and friends that have been here for me to help me. If it were not for them and my soon to be husband i believe i would be in a catatonic state right now. Reading the posts on here have helped me as well and i wish to thank you all again for posting and helping others as you deal with your pain as well.

Thank you,

Teresa .... Emily's Mom

• Members

Teresa - I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved daughter Emily and so sorry you are here. I lost my 18yr old son in a car accident in early December and it has taken me all this time just to get some degree of functioning back and not be crying all the time. The early days, weeks and months are very very hard. I cried, screamed and was totally numb. I still cannot believe it has happened, but over time the pain has eased. What Katant says is true, accept help. I like you am a very strong person, but the loss of Stuart floored me. I could hardly function. I accepted all the help that was offered and I needed help for a few months. Be very gentle with yourself at this time, feel what you feel and dont do anything you dont want to. Your special girl is around you in spirit I am sure. My love goes out to you.

Katant - I am so sorry for the terrible tragedies in your community, it seems almost unbelievable doesnt it. I am glad you are having better days, as I am but the pain never ever leaves. I always have him in my heart alongside the ache. Take Care

Maureen

• Members

Teresa,

I am so sorry you had to join "this club". Losing a child is the worst thing that can ever happen to a parent. Just take one day at a time. Talk to people, anyone who will listen. I have a neighbor who lost a child 20 years ago. Her kids were good friends with my son. She has been my lifeline.

Kathy,

I am so sorry for all your pain. I know when you hear of another child who lost their life it's like your wound has been opened again. You feel their parents pain. The candlelight vigil sounds like a wonderful idea. The 22nd will be 14 months for me. It seems like a lifetime ago but it also feels like just yesterday. It is definitely true what you read. You will never be the same person you were. I feel like I'm starting to come out of the fog a bit.

Not sure if it's good or bad. I still miss Cory every minute of every day. Prom season is coming up and it's so hard to hear about his girlfriend going with someone else. He SHOULD be going and that hurts.

Take care,

I MISS YOU AND LOVE COR!

Ginger

• Members

Hello, my name is Maria and I lost my daughter Breanna on January 19th of this year, she was 14 years old. She was the passenger in a rollover accident. The driver was fine but Breanna died on the scene. My husband and I are blessed to have 5 children between us but Breanna was the only one that lived with us (the others live out of state) so I feel very empty and lonely. I still cannot believe that this has happened and I am not sure what I am suppose to be doing. I am on medication to help me get through the day but I feel like it is stopping me from going through the grieving process and that scares me. I am back at work, they tell me that that is the best thing for me right now. It is so hard to believe this is true and I have to wonder if you ever believe it or not.

We are blessed to have a huge support of family and friends that were here and helping us through the shock of this and continue to be there for us, I don't know what we would of done without them.

I am happy to have found this website and hope that it will help me in some small way, thank you,Bresmom

• Members

Hi Maria,

I am so sorry for your loss and that you have to be here. I lost my son, Cory, 16 yrs. old, on Feb. 22, 2006. It was the same scenario as you. He was a passenger in a rollover accident and the driver was fine. He, also, died at the scene. I have a 19 yr. old daughter who is in college and I know the empty and lonely feelings you have. The house is just so quiet.

I still find it hard to believe. I know he's been gone for a while but it's just hard to come to the reality that this is my life.

Talk to your family and friends as much as you can, anyone who will listen. I spent hours on the phone with my sister-in-law every night. She listened, let me cry, whatever. It also helps to talk with other parents who have lost children.

Take it one day at a time. Talk and post on here. We will listen.

Hugs,

Ginger

• Members

Bresmom,

I am also sorry for your loss. I am glad that you are blessed with a support system of family and friends that are by your side helping you. Ginger's right, talk and post on here because we will listen. Take it one day at a time, small steps, and try to remember to be kind to yourself.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Wadesmom

• Members

Kathy,

I am saddened to read about all the teenage deaths in your area, It's very difficult to understand the "why" of it all,,,,,,,,I can see why the kids are shocked and scared.

You have so much to deal with on a daily basis with your own sons loss & I can understand why you are angry.

I think it's really special that you are having a candlelight vigil at the beach with Anthony's friends at your sons favorite place.

I've seen candles in foil, vaces, glass containers and even votive candles used for a candle vigil- but I've also seen the battery operated candles, that are displayed in windows during the holiday season, used for candle vigils also. Another suggestion- I've seen glo-sticks used. They come in a variety of colors (green, yellow, blue, green and hunter orange) Some of the glo sticks are small in size and some stores carry glo-sticks that are a couple feet long. Around this area, the glo-sticks can be purchased at Discount stores, craft and or hunting stores. It's just a suggestion in case it would be too windy to use candles.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Wadesmom

• Members

Dear Maria

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, it is such a terrible time. The feelings of numbness and disbelief last for a long, long time. It is so hard to lose those we love so much.

Post on this site whenever you feel the need and we will all listen. It was 4 months on Saturday that my son Stuart died, and it seems so long to be in so much pain. I have found solace in my family and 2 very special friends who I could just be myself with and express the pain, and cry and cry. I yell a lot in the car too or up the hilltop on a windy day, that is very liberating. I have also read anything about grief and losing a child I could find, it helped me to know I am not going crazy and will get through this terrible tragedy.

Thinking of you, take care

Maureen

• Members

Hello to all,

I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Easter, this was for my family the first holiday with out my daughter and I could not seem to get out of bed or go to church or go to our friends for dinner, the only thing that I was able to do was to go to the cemetery and sit with her for a while, that seemed peaceful. I was just wondering how other people handle the holidays.

Bresmom

• Members

Bresmom-

I posted a response (on holidays) but I got too windy(exceeded my 30 min. time frame)

So I'll try it another time.

Wadesmom

• Members

Maria - I find the holidays very difficult. Our first christmas without stuart was 3 weeks after he died. I didnt think we would get through it, but we did. We took his ashes with us to lunch and talked to him during the day. Had car races and had someone have one for him. Just including him even though he wasnt there physically helped. It also helped as the lights in the lounge flickered for a minute as we were opening our presents - we were all convinced it was Stuart and gave us the peace to get through the day.

This easter was very hard too, any family celebrations where he would have been present are hard. I lit candles for him and my other son bought him some eggs to put on his alter in our home. We also scattered some of his ashes at a special place to us, just his dad, me and his brother and sister. It was a very special moment. But I cried, its like there is a piece of the picture missing which you cant stick back on. I havent had to face his birthday and the other date, which I cant even say!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy - Stuart was working about 1 hour away and stayed up there during the week and came home on weekends. This particular weekend he decided not to come home as he wanted to save money. So I was planning to go up to see him on the Saturday to take some supplies and have a picnic at a scenic lake near where he was living. It never happened, at 2am on Sat morning the police woke me up to tell me he had been in a single vehicle accident and was in a critical condition. He was on life support for 5 days which we turned off and my beautiful Stuart died. It was the worst moment of my life. He had just turned 18 at the beginning of September and had so many plans for the future. I like you, miss my son so much but am working through the grief to find meaning in my life again and to integrate his essence and incorporate his memory into my daily existence - it is an ongoing battle. Unlike you I do not have the court case and other factors which make grieving and coping even harder. I think it is great you are planning to go away after the 15th dec, you deserve it. I have given myself hope and recreation by buying a toyota coaster/camper and head off to the beach at every opportunity to rest, revive and heal a little more. We all need that.

I admire everyone for their strength in what is the hardest thing we will ever have to do and the pain is horrendous. But we dont have to do it alone, we are here for each other.

My love and support to you all

Maureen

• Members

Bresmom,

This is what I've learned in the past almost 8 months about Holidays. We had Thanksgiving dinner with our extended family, it's already tough, but all I could think about was that my son was not seated at the table with our family , so I don't recall anything about the meal, or what was discussed.

AT Christmas time- our family changed some things and yet kept some traditions also. We managed. When we got together with our extended family it was much more difficult. I have two nephews on one side, one is several years younger then Wade and one is only 2 years younger then Wade. It was overwhelming for me to watch the boys open their Cmas gifts, and just to be around them. My nephews did not say or do anything to me personally - I just ached all over and had a tough time muddling thru this.

I think each person has to do what is right for them , at the time. One thing that we've done is that we try to keep the lines of communication open- so no one has to guess. My husband and I talk, then we discuss things with our two daughters so that we are all on the same page- or at least so we can try to understand where everyone is at (prior to the Holiday) I think there are possibly some things that will change again next year, due to comfort levels etc. Yet I do believe that it helps to let others around you -know what you are comfortable with and what you are not comfortable with. Each person and family is different.

For Easter- my husband & I were by ourselves. The girls went to their in laws /in laws to be homes for Easter. This arrangement worked out well for us for this particular holiday. I guess my thoughts on the holidays are that you need to do what feels/seems right for you even though none of this feels/seems right.

Take care

Wadesmom

• Members

Losing Jerrod was the hardest thing in my life. Last Monday I got a call saying my Aunt just died out of the blue. We were driving there to visit her when we got the call. It hurts so bad it one thing after the another. When is the nightmare going to end. Then we get another call from the DA saying they want meet with us to dicuss the case on Wed. to let us know how they will try to charge my sons murder with (plea). SO sad so sad I don't think I can take it much more. My other son wants to became a wannbe gangster. Life in the last 5 months has become a living hell. How much can someone take??????/////

• Members

jjrmom-Praying for comfort and support during this turbulent time.I'm sorry that you've had one thing after another.

Kathy- just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you yesterday knowing that you had another funeral & have been dealing with so very much also.

Maureen,

I admire what you said about- "working thru the grief to find meaning in your life and to integrate his essence and incorporate his memory into my daily existence."

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Take care all

Wadesmom

• Members

Would anyone be willing to discuss the pros and cons of support groups? (such as compassionate friends, or other groups available in your area.) I have been invited to a local support group in a near by town, and we've also been invited to Compassionate friends meetings, but we have not attended any as to date.

I'd just like some feedback on this topic from my BI family.

Wadesmom

• Members
shirleybjsmom

JUST WANTED TO DROP A SHORT LINE AND SEE HOW EVERYONE'S DOING? IT'S BEEN AWHILE SINCE I POSTED. THERE ALSO HAS BEEN A COUPLE TEENAGERS WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE SURROUNDING AREA. MY HEART ACHES FOR THESE PARENTS, AND THE DAY TO DAY PAIN THEY MUST FACE. IN LESS THEN TWO WEEKS WE WILL BE HAVING OUR BINGO BASH AT THE FIRE COMPANY TO RAISE FUNDS TO BE PLACED IN BJ'S MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND. TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE LOSTED A FAMILY MEMBER,BROTHER,SISTER OR A FRIEND IN THE VIRGINIA TECH SHOOTING MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOU MY GOD KEEP YOU IN HIS EVER SO LOVING CARE.

HUGS TO ALL

SHIRLEY

• Members
jamiedawnsmom

Hi Shirley, I think of you often. Good to hear from you again. I too will keep the families in the Virginia shootings in my thoughts and prayers. Did you ever make a website for BJ? If you did, would you share the address with us? Thanks and Take Care.

Renee

• Members
jamiedawnsmom

Wadesmom, I'll share my experience with support groups with you. About four months after Jamie's accident Kari (middle child) and I attend a grief session in Minot. My oldest daughter attended the same type of thing in Bismarck. The grief session was put on by the hospital (hospice program). My oldest daughter thought it was okay but did not really get a whole lot out of it. Her group was large and they'd break up into smaller groups. The session Kari and I attended had about 12 people. One lady lost her baby at birth and she was the only other person who lost a child. All the others had lost husbands ranging in age from their 50's to 70's. At first I didn't think I could relate to these people but I was surprised how well we got along and it was just great to share with others who don't wish you'd quit talking about your losted loved one. They were also someone who could ask me how I was and if I'd respond, "not worth a ****" they'd understand. This grief session was for six weeks and we still get together once a month. I've attended the compassionate friends a couple times. Again, it is a place where you can talk and share your feelings without feeling like you are a burden. It is also sad though to hear other's heart wrenching stories so it can be draining emotionally too. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. If you find comfort, great, if not, you know that it wasn't something that would be good for you. I personally find it comforting to be around people who understand my loss. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide.

Renee

• Administrators

Hi everyone,

I am looking to place the link to Beyond Indigo in the hands of the parents and the students how have lost friends and relatives in the Virginia shootings. Sometimes word of mouth is best because of all the media frenzy that is going on right now. If you know of anyone I should contact could you please email me at kelly@beyondindigo.com?

Thanks!

Kelly Baltzell

President

Beyond Indigo

• Members

Thank you so much for responding to my post on the pros and cons of support groups. I appreciate your feedback Renee and Kathy.

I imagine several new posts appearing in the next few months due to the tragic VT shootings, My thoughts and prayers are with all of the parents who have lost a child, just as my thoughts and prayers are with all of the ones that post here on BI.

Take care

Wadesmom

• Members
shirleybjsmom

Hi Renee

Thank you for thinking of me. I often think of you, and how things are going for you? I do have a place anyone can go to if they would like to visit BJ'S site and view pictures of him and his friends. it is on his my space that was made up by friends and reorginized by me and my friend. www.myspace.com-wewillneverforgetbj

thinking of all you

Shirley

• Members
shirleybjsmom

Forgot to add earlier that the video and song the world's greatest was dedicated in memory of bj on the day of his funeral by my dearest friend Bonita all the young ones in our area refer to it as bj's song.

Shirley

• Members
jamiedawnsmom

Thanks for sharing, Shirley. BJ is a very handsome young man who was quite active - I'm sure he kept you running from event to event. I loved looking at his pictures. Like you I take one day at a time and cherish the memories. Renee

• Members
shirleybjsmom

Hi,

I'm here to ask for some advice? I was asked by a young lady who is in the process of doing her senior project to write how the lost of bj or a teen who lost their lives has effected me. would any of the parents like to add anything that might be able to help out with what i have written for her.

Thanks Shirley

• Guests
Guest Guest

Hi, My wife and I lost our 16 year old daughter Jamie Renae on March 14, 2007. I have lost loved ones before and would be sad of course, but I could not have imagined the pain and anguish losing a child could cause. I have set at this computer many mornings reading obituaries of children who have passed and literally cried for those people never really understanding the pain they had. I own a small business in Oklahoma and it just seems like there is nothing important anymore and it is hard to care about anything but her and her memory. I am sure the things I am saying are the same things that you have been through I just need to talk to someone who has been through this. Our freinds try to help but they don't really understand and I hope they never have to find out. I send this message with love and hope that we may all see our children again someday. I now feel your pain.

Thanks Randy(Jamies Daddy)

• Members
jamiesdaddy1991
Hi, My wife and I lost our 16 year old daughter Jamie Renae on March 14, 2007. I have lost loved ones before and would be sad of course, but I could not have imagined the pain and anguish losing a child could cause. I have set at this computer many mornings reading obituaries of children who have passed and literally cried for those people never really understanding the pain they had. I own a small business in Oklahoma and it just seems like there is nothing important anymore and it is hard to care about anything but her and her memory. I am sure the things I am saying are the same things that you have been through I just need to talk to someone who has been through this. Our freinds try to help but they don't really understand and I hope they never have to find out. I send this message with love and hope that we may all see our children again someday. I now feel your pain.

Thanks Randy(Jamies Daddy)

Just reposting to get my new user name in there. Jamie has a memorial page at http://www.mem.com/display/biography.asp?ID=1758753

• Members

Randy,

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious daughter Jamie. I think only people who have lost a child really understand what it is like. Please tell us about Jamie.

Kalinda's Mom

• Members

Hi Randy, I'm so very sorry for your loss. This site is therapeutic. I don’t post here often at all but I do visit almost everyday. Losing one so young is always hard. We loss our precious Ian one year and almost 2 months ago. He had just turned 18. He was killed by a drunk driver, a very senseless act. Monday we go before a probation officer to give our verbal victim impact statement. Then maybe we go to court for sentencing. I’m told that the second year is the hardest for some because the first year you’re numb. I’m not sure I’m ready to get over being numb, it hurts too much. That’s not to say we don’t go through the anger and so on. My thoughts and prayers are with you during your time of grief. I pray that somehow you and your family find peace. Iansmom, Faith

http://Ian-Allen-James-Brasseaux.virtual-memorials.com.

• Members
4everjoeysmom

Dear Randy, I am so very sorry to hear that you and your family are suffering such a devastating loss. My family shares in your pain, as we lost our oldest son Joey last July, and it's something that none of us ever could have imagined. We also share in your hope of seeing our children again one day for all eternity, and we are thankful for the grace of our Lord that we can cling to that hope to help us somewhat through our mourning and grief in this life. I am praying for you and your family that the Lord will give you strength and courage to carry on and one day know joy again. It's a terrible thing to lose a child. It's such an unnatural order of things. I try to focus on not only what I can do in my life to bring honor to God, but also how I can carry Joey's legacy further to make a positive impact on the lives of others. By doing so I have found glimpses of joy again after only 8-1/2 months simply through His grace, and I hope and pray this can be an encouragement to you as well. I still have tremendous pain, and I am still deeply mourning my son. But I feel enlightened and encouraged that death does not have to mean the end. It is merely a moment in transition from this life to the eternal, perfect life that God ordained for us. It helps me to know that when Joey crossed over into the arms of a waiting Father, the time/space continuum stopped for him, and when I do arrive, it will seem to him that the last time he saw me was only a breath ago. I think I find comfort in that more because I can know that Joey is perfect and well, full of peace and joy, and praise. I always worried about him here. That doesn't make things a whole lot easier for me still being here, but I am comforted in an incomprehensible way... I hope and pray your family will find comfort in your beautiful memories of Jamie and the love you share--because LOVE never dies. And I pray you find the Peace that passes all understanding... Blessings, Claudia, 4everjoeysmom

• Members

Hello BI friends,

Today is 14 months since I lost my Cory. He was 16 yrs. old. His birthday was Feb. 1 and he died on Feb. 22, 2006. It's still so hard to believe this is my life. I am missing him so much today. It's a beautiful spring day and no doubt he would be fishing, riding his 4 wheeler or doing something outside. The second year is so lonely.

I love you and miss you Cor!!!

Archived