Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The private grief world

DWS

• Members
WithoutHer
2 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

May I ask, what's causing your congestion and coughs? 

Acute sinusitis combined with COPD. No meds or any amount of flushing help the sinus. Have inhaler for the COPD and use it but don't really feel it helps.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• RichS

• DWS

• WithoutHer

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Boggled
On 5/21/2024 at 8:55 PM, WithoutHer said:

Not stepping over the line. But 1st thing I've had my share of finely minced food and really can't stand it. It's just an awful texture. I completely lost my taste to chemo years ago. Food was nothing but texture then. Hamburger was like eating sawdust. Now theses days with my congestion and a past mild bought of covid my taste comes and goes from little, but not like the chemo days, to like this past week I've actually been able to tell the difference between vanilla and strawberry with my Boost high calorie drinks. Being diabetic they are the worst things I could be consuming but they get me the calories I need and my insulin helps with the BS levels. I do force a soup or frozen dinner each day whether I like it or not.

WithoutHer, just a thought, cheesecake?  has a lot of calories I THINK, and for years I've been making a kind of gelatin-no-bake cheesecake that has a fantastic smooth texture.  Looking briefly online, there are keto recipes for that same kind of cheesecake, (but use whatever sweetener you like!  to taste!) (and really, whatever kind of crust you want, or just skip the crust) such as:  

Quick Keto Cheesecake No Bake Recipe - Low Carb Yum

I used to melt a little coconut oil with cocoa, briefly, in the microwave,  with pure stevia powder (my sweetener of choice) (or whatever flavoring or sweetener you like) and dribble it on top for decoration ... and more fat.   When it hardens in the fridge, though, you have to break through it.  But the TEXTURE of the cheesecake itself is super smooth and creamy.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Yes, I love this recipe, I have hundreds and share them in my group everyday.

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin
On 5/22/2024 at 1:02 PM, WithoutHer said:

Acute sinusitis combined with COPD. No meds or any amount of flushing help the sinus. Have inhaler for the COPD and use it but don't really feel it helps.

☹️  Do they know what caused it? 

I went googling.  Seems like, in addition to medication, there's something called pulmonary rehabilitation.  Various exercises that have been show to help.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10381859/ 

They also mentioned breathing exercises, which might be easier to start with:

breathing exercises such as diaphragmatic breathing and pursed-lips breathing might be considered for those patients who are unable to exercise, possibly enhancing pulmonary function, exercise endurance, dyspnea, quality of life, and respiratory muscle strength of COPD patients [52]. A systematic review suggested breathing exercises are an effective tool to improve inspiratory muscle strength and 6MWT results in COPD patients [53]. A randomized controlled trial showed that the pursed-lips breathing exercise, inhaler training enhanced breathing exercise, and inhaler usage skills reduce the negative effects of COPD, alleviate the severity of dyspnea, and improve the quality of life of COPD patients [54]. Moreover, the active cycle of breathing techniques was found to effectively improve the sputum production and cough efficiency in COPD patients [55]. More research and quantitative analyses are needed to confirm the effectiveness of breath exercises on different aspects of COPD patients.

The article also mentions nutritional support, self-management education, psycho social support, etc.

There's aslo a COPD board.  Not sure if it would be any help.  At least you can talk to other people with the same condition.  https://copd.net/forums 

Anyway, I know that grief is a ton of weight in itself, and it probably makes people much less motivated to take care of one's own health.  I do hope that you'll be able to find the strength and motivation to focus on your own well being a bit more.  Sometimes, what helps is not so much the end results, but in the process of trying itself.  Your poor health might also be what's contributing to your depression.  Who would take care of all your pets if anything happened to you?.....  That's mostly what's kept me going actually - my dog.  I wish there was more that I can do for you to help you suffer even a little bit less.  And again, I'm so sorry that you've had to face such difficult health challenges on top of your grief.  Wishing you hope. 💝

On 5/22/2024 at 2:31 PM, ImMomma said:

I am my husbands caretaker. I promised I would never put him in a nursing home.  I am younger and have always been in better health.   Jan 2 2024 I got a cancer diagnosis. 

I'm so sorry. ☹️

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I got rid of my COPD (diagnosed two months before George died when I got winded going up the driveway) after going on Keto.  Got rid of all of my breathalyzers a couple of years ago.

• Like 3

• Members
WithoutHer
1 hour ago, HisMunchkin said:

I went googling.  Seems like, in addition to medication, there's something called pulmonary rehabilitation. 

Truthfully the chronic sinus issue are more of a problem than the COPD. These problems go way back to my childhood days. Over the years my body just developed tolerance for all drugs thrown at it. It's to the point that I've grown tolerant to every antibiotic out there as well. So I have to be very careful about getting infections. Cause? After so many years? No one knows.

• Like 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
2 hours ago, KayC said:

I got rid of my COPD (diagnosed two months before George died when I got winded going up the driveway) after going on Keto.  Got rid of all of my breathalyzers a couple of years ago.

Wow!  How does the Keto diet work in getting rid of COPD? 

2 hours ago, WithoutHer said:

These problems go way back to my childhood days.

Wow!  For that long, huh.  ☹️  Does your doctor know what's causing the sinus congestion?  Is it seasonal?  Do you have allergies? 

• Like 3

• Members
WithoutHer
52 minutes ago, HisMunchkin said:

Does your doctor know what's causing the sinus congestion?  Is it seasonal?  Do you have allergies? 

Like I said after all these years no one knows. No it's not seasonal it's 24/7 365. It may or may not be allergies. It has already every treatment for them thrown at it short of surgery which isn't going to happen.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

How does the Keto diet work in getting rid of COPD? 

By bringing your health in order. Watch Dr. Berg, Ben Bikman, Paul Mason, so many others...

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin
15 hours ago, WithoutHer said:

Like I said after all these years no one knows. No it's not seasonal it's 24/7 365. It may or may not be allergies. It has already every treatment for them thrown at it short of surgery which isn't going to happen.

So it's a symptom of COPD?  I went googling again.  "How to manage mucus" : https://www.saintlukeskc.org/health-library/copd-coping-mucus#

Seems like dairy products can increase mucus, according to that article.   And here are some things that might exacerbate the symtoms: https://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/features/household-hazards-for-people-with-copd

Maybe it would be a good idea to vacuum more often after all. 

• Like 1

• Members
WithoutHer
2 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

So it's a symptom of COPD?  I went googling again.  "How to manage mucus" : https://www.saintlukeskc.org/health-library/copd-coping-mucus#

Seems like dairy products can increase mucus, according to that article.   And here are some things that might exacerbate the symtoms: https://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/features/household-hazards-for-people-with-copd

Maybe it would be a good idea to vacuum more often after all. 

It's the other way around. The COPD has developed as a result of the sinus issues. The constant drainage over the years has every thing irritated. The COPD developed recently in just the last few years. Years of smoking didn't do my sinuses or lungs much help either. Put them down after my stroke. Haven't smoked much in over a year. What surprises me is the cough never improved much after putting the smokes down. It got worse for a month or so, which they say happens, but settled back to previous levels. The coughing is definitely a result of the drainage which I had even before I started smoking. I didn't even start as a teenager as most. Not until my mid 20s. Not even sure why I started. I use to give my parents crap for smoking. Do we ever truly understand ourselves?

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
21 hours ago, WithoutHer said:

It's the other way around. The COPD has developed as a result of the sinus issues. The constant drainage over the years has every thing irritated. The COPD developed recently in just the last few years. Years of smoking didn't do my sinuses or lungs much help either. Put them down after my stroke. Haven't smoked much in over a year. What surprises me is the cough never improved much after putting the smokes down. It got worse for a month or so, which they say happens, but settled back to previous levels. The coughing is definitely a result of the drainage which I had even before I started smoking. I didn't even start as a teenager as most. Not until my mid 20s. Not even sure why I started. I use to give my parents crap for smoking. Do we ever truly understand ourselves?

Oh I see.  Were you exposed to a lot of second hand smoke as a kid?  That might have done some damage.  Then you smoking yourself might have caused further damage.  I smoked for about 15 years - started the nasty habit in my teens, but then quit almost 20 years ago.

Do you have nasal polyps?  There's a new treatment that can shrink them, it seems: https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/chronic-sinusitis-more-than-a-stuffy-nose

Treatment typically starts as conservative as possible. If medical treatments have been tried and your condition hasn't responded, a CT scan of your sinuses may be ordered to get a better look at the sinus anatomy. If allergies are contributing to your symptoms, then allergy shots, or immunotherapy, may improve your condition. If you have nasal polyps, which are growths in your nose and sinuses, then you may be a candidate for new medications called biologic agents that are given as a regular injection and can help shrink nasal polyps and improve your nasal congestion.

• Like 3

• Moderators

When I was growing up there were five smokers in the house, I hated it, I vowed not to smoke when I was grown and I don't!

• Like 4

• Moderators

I could never use Afrin, burned my nose. I use Nasacort.

• Like 4

• Members
WithoutHer
8 minutes ago, KayC said:

I could never use Afrin, burned my nose. I use Nasacort.

I had forgotten about Nasacort. I think because it takes so long to work. However I might give it another go. I don't get any burning sensation from Afrin probably because the nerves in my sinuses are shot 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Even as we think of YOU and your John, and DWS and the others on here...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3