Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What positive can you list today?

KayC

• Moderators

Glad it didn't materialize like they predicted, Gail!

• Like 2

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Computer is dead, it wanted to open 19 windows in each browser, restarted twice, seemed okay then dead. Will have to go out of town to buy one and no idea where.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Will be without one five days, it's going to kill me! 😭 

• Sad 4

• Moderators
widower2
52 minutes ago, KayC said:

Computer is dead, it wanted to open 19 windows in each browser, restarted twice, seemed okay then dead. Will have to go out of town to buy one and no idea where.

By "dead" you mean it won't even power up, or-?

• Like 3

• Moderators

Nope, nothing, nada.

Ordered one on Amazon, be without for five days. I think it'll kill me. Can't even access my budget!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• Moderators
widower2

ouch, sorry to hear. It's nice to get a new PC but not for that reason. :( 

• Like 3

• Members
Gail 8588

Kay, 

So sorry.  I know how you feel. My laptop locked up on me, just black screen.  I got a new one, but I haven't  been able to get my files off the old one. It's  driving me crazy.  

My son in Atlanta thinks he will be able to get the old files and transfer them to my new computer.  He will work on it next time he is here.  

My new laptop has windows 11, not a fan of that yet.  It is also very intrusive, wanting me to use cloud storage and other programs or stuff. I just want to be left alone to type and file my documents on this computer. 

Hope your new one comes early.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Widower2, Yes, black screen, won't even come up in safe mode, had 1 1/2 years, long enough to be off warranty.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Okay, positive with fingers crossed...it suddenly came back after a couple of hours of black screen...who knows if it'll stay working or not or what caused it (Windows 11?) tried cancelling order on Amazon but up to the seller.  Bad timing with needing every cent for this construction project, overspent already.  Still waiting for his bid.

• Hugs 4

• Members

After years of trouble and annoyances with PC I finally switched to Mac.  Soooo much easier.  And the hardware lasts forever.  I have a 10 year old macbook that is still ticking along without a problem.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

They cancelled my order so I hope it is still working when I get home!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
foreverhis
5 hours ago, KayC said:

Oh no!  That's just not right.  Sheesh, they aren't even making computers like they used to.  I am so angry on your behalf and sorry you have to go through again!

Is there a Best Buy anywhere near you?  The Geek Squad here has worked wonders on our computers in the past.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Just did that this week.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I checked that already.

And it was plugged directly into the socket, nnot through a power strip.

Was not touching anything when it came back on.

• Like 2

• Moderators
widower2

Oh well just a thought. Very strange...

• Like 3

• Moderators

I've used computers since I was 16 (Otis), that is 55 years, this is one for Ripley's!

• Like 2

• Moderators
widower2

You were using computers in 1969? Wow...working for IBM or some such? I don't miss punch cards.

• Like 3

• Members
ThereIsAField

Thanks - it's comforting to hear others struggle with their gutters too.

I feel like such a wimp for being overwhelmed by them and I'm really hard on myself why I don't just get this supposedly simple task done.

I've considered leaf-guards for this section of gutters too @DWS but birches drop such a lot of weird gunk that I'm concerned that would clog up the leaf-guards, making the whole problem so much more difficult, cos I can't easily access those leaf-guards to clean them, other than climbing on the roof... yikes...

I basically just need to be on top of it... clean that particular gutter every 4 - 8 weeks and not let the birch gunk build up.

We cut off one of the birch's branches that over-hung the roof @KayC but I'd hate to cut the whole thing down. I've had a deep connection to trees since childhood and I'd always try to find a workaround rather than cut it down...

It's just something I have to be better at doing regularly...

I'm thinking of maybe setting up a hose so I can flush out that gutter regularly too... I've got enough old hose in the garage, so this would (in theory) be easy to set up...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
widower2
30 minutes ago, DWS said:

That sure sounds like a positive to me! Going up and down ladders to clean gutters isn't child's play!!! With the trees around my place, they have to be done three or four times each year. I get a good feeling after they're done...a feeling of relief. Just one of those tasks that would be so nice not having to do. Expensive leaf guards sure would be the solution but "expensive" is the key word here. 

Gutter guards don't have to be overly expensive FWIW....for ex (in fact I'm eyeing these myself):

https://www.amazon.com/Frost-VX620-Plastic-Gutter-Guard/dp/B000LNNS3W

• Like 3

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, ThereIsAField said:

I'd hate to cut the whole thing down. I've had a deep connection to trees since childhood and I'd always try to find a workaround rather than cut it down...

Me too, and for 45 years that was fine.  Then we got a threatening letter from the Dept of Forestry, it was horrible!  Basically demanding we get 50 ft clearance from any structures, blah blah blah...they didn''t send this to anyone but the rural people even though whole towns were threatened by wildfires.  Forest rangers came out and did a lot of cutting of trees I'd loved and privacy barriers I'd had.  They didn't trim/cut large trees, telling us we'd have to get someone to do it, so I had Jack do some, but not 50 ft away and not trees/shrubs like photinia or mahagany that were not a threat.  Cut back some but nothing threatening the tree itself.  There was such an outcry that the Forestry Dept did some backpedaling but not until damage was done.  Homeowner's insurance using this against us to greatly increase our rates or cancel!  All the $ paid out to treecutters and trimmers came out of our pockets.  
And then there was the early morning I woke up to the sound of cutting (AFTER they'd already been here, yet they never announced themselves!) so I donned my robe and slippers to go out and see what was going on...rangers cut down my beloved lilac tree, the first thing I'd ever planted here!  It was a start off my MIL's tree, the only thing I have left of her...gone.  The beloved mom I'd always wanted.  Fragrant and beautiful and the tree had never been in better shape!  They admitted it wasn't a threat yet they did this w/o telling me!  He said he thought he was doing me a favor.  If you want to do me a favor you could cut the stickery bushes that keep growing here that I continually try to eradicate.  Oh no, none of those were cut!

• Sad 5

• Members
32 minutes ago, widower2 said:

Gutter guards don't have to be overly expensive FWIW....for ex (in fact I'm eyeing these myself):

And not difficult to install if you feel comfortable climbing a ladder. If not, a handyman can do it for you.

• Like 4

• Members
53 minutes ago, widower2 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Frost-VX620-Plastic-Gutter-Guard/dp/B000LNNS3W

The expensive guards I was referring to are the professional installation ones they advertise on TV. I imagine those are likely in the $2000 - $3000 range these days...but I have put those inexpensive plastic gutter guards on the house years ago. They work quite well. The disadvantage is that gunk from tree seeds and other debris still make their way under it. In the late fall, I usually have to clean them out because the gutter would still get quite clogged. Then it's a matter of cleaning under them with the brittle ends of the guards scratching the tops of my cold hands....not fun!!! The wind can play havoc with them as well. 

I still have one side with those on it and might buy another roll for the other side of the house. I did buy a pack of these metal ones for the front of the house. They work good. I got them on sale the one year. These get screwed into the gutter to stay in place. Unfortunately when I got through installing mine, they didn't look quite as nice as this one in the pic...

smart-screen-gutter-protection-system-5c

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
ThereIsAField
15 minutes ago, Boggled said:

hey, I could do that.  We have a plastic-and-metal ladder we have always just kept collapsed on the side of our back deck, where it collects leaves that I blow off occasionally;  is there some REASON not to just leave it up all the time?   wow.  Just leaving it up sounds like a great idea(??) to me!

Yeah, I know right? I just need these jobs to be easier... If I have to go and get a ladder each time, it's just one more hurdle that I probably won't take and delay and procrastinate the task for another day/ week...

I guess it could tip over in a storm? Maybe make sure it's either secured somehow or that if it tips over, it won't fall into a window and break it...

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Boggled said:

We have a plastic-and-metal ladder we have always just kept collapsed on the side of our back deck, where it collects leaves that I blow off occasionally;  is there some REASON not to just leave it up all the time?   wow.  Just leaving it up sounds like a great idea(??) to me!

I have one I leave up all the time, originally to clean off the internet satelite dish but I no longer have that and still leave it up as it's wedged inbetween something and is an easier place to enter the roof.

• Like 3

• Members
Boggled
1 hour ago, ThereIsAField said:

Yeah, I know right? I just need these jobs to be easier... If I have to go and get a ladder each time, it's just one more hurdle that I probably won't take and delay and procrastinate the task for another day/ week...

I guess it could tip over in a storm? Maybe make sure it's either secured somehow or that if it tips over, it won't fall into a window and break it...

The idea I could just leave the ladder standing up ... (!!!  oh!) was so encouraging for me that I just went out, stood the ladder up next to the gutter on the back deck (hunh, been more than 2 years since I cleaned it last), and cleaned out the whole thing.   ha.  Positive for today.   Also used the 20V Max hedge trimmer to chop back some forsythia and vines climbing right over the end of the decking ... so I could get the ladder to get to the gutter.   I absolutely love the idea I can just leave the ladder standing there.   😁

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Absolutely and I applaud you, esp. with what I've been through lately!  That's a huge triumph! 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

That is quite the color combination you have in the house, specially the kitchen and half-bath downstairs.  I would start with those, perhaps?  😊

• Like 3

• Moderators
widower2

Oh yeah. They are on top of the list.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, widower2 said:

The other bedroom was a dark navy blue, and when I asked if I could paint it, they said "just make sure you use a neutral color" :wacko2:

This gave me a laugh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

True, I used Kilz on my ceiling when the roofer did a bad job and it leaked over 8 ft by 3 ft area.  It did a great job!  (Had my son check that area in the rafters when he installed wood stove.)  Now have to use Henry's around chimney on roof after chimney sweep but no more leaking onto ceiling!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1