• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foreverhis

• widower2

• DWS

• KayC

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

It's curious how powerful music can be that way, even after a long time. 

• Like 4

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/2/2024 at 5:16 PM, foreverhis said:

Oh goodness, that's completely understandable and common.  I had so much pain and frustration and anger, and I directed some of it at my husband John.  How dare he leave me when our lives were unfinished!  How dare the universe take him from me!  How dare the doctors not save him (though here I do have a little justified anger in certain delays)!

Grief is not a simple emotional state at all.  It's every emotion imaginable, including anger.  They swirl around in our hearts and minds as we try to grasp the permanent changes, the shattering of our lives, and the gaping hole that now exists where before the road ahead was complete with our loves by our sides.  It was not selfish of you to feel anger as part of your grief.  Or if it was, then we're almost universally guilty of the same selfishness at times.

Grief sucks and drains the life out of you emotionally and mentally.  I expressed anger and frustration at my husband right after he died for breaking his promise to me that he’d never leave me… he did leave me but not by choice.  I also expressed anger at him for leaving me all alone in this world and having to fend for myself too.  

Just now, widower2 said:

It's curious how powerful music can be that way, even after a long time. 

Thank you for responding to my post.

• Like 2

• Members
Kindred Spirit

Thought I'd jump in and share...My mom had a tremendous love for classical music but also very eclectic tastes. 

That said, I have Mom's playlist on my iPod. Amazing rock songs with deeply meaningful lyrics, like "Dust in the Wind," Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever" and The Traveling Wilbury's "End of the Line." I can't listen to any of it - it's just too painful for me to hear "her" songs without her here to listen with me. I'm crying just talking about it...and I don't think I want to dwell on what these songs are all really saying...

Things in our house were so awful and crazy the last few years with Mom's progressive illness, that music went by the wayside, but I've recently discovered the music of Avi Kaplan. He was the bass singer for Pentatonix but left the group, changed his style, and went out on his own. I feel such a connection to many of his songs. Whatever happened in his life, to me, he "gets" it.

I'll share two of my favorites.

• Like 2

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 1/2/2024 at 10:56 AM, KayC said:

My husband loved music...at first I listened to it obsessively, but after the beginning I couldn't bear to.

My husband loved music - reggae, punk, heavy metal, new wave, hard rock, rock and roll, electronica, etc. He wasn’t too big on the romantic songs.  He would sit in his patio chair on the deck at our former apartment and have his iPad blasting music for the whole neighborhood to hear; it made him happy so I didn’t complain too often.

I still have his iPad which has all the music playlists he created. I’m really considering opening up the iPad right now to look the the music playlists.  I also retained older and various photos on the iPad. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

Something a little different...not just about the song (which I like) but the person too. I still can't really watch this without a strong reaction to say the least:

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

My husband loved music, it was part of his being and he could not be with out it. Mostly we listened to his alter rock compilations in the car, it grew on me...and 80's rock love for which we had in common.

When we stared to date he gave me his photo - small one to keep in wallet - and behind he has written  " the jester who showed you tears"....little did he know at that time what this will mean now.

I used to listen to his favorite songs all the time...everywhere....then our kids asked me to stop...it bothered them, I understand and I did. For me it fells just like he stepped out and will return in a few....I do it when I am alone now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I was listening to some music on Youtube this morning. In my feed was Donna Summer's masterpiece version of "MacArthur Park" which I've listened to hundreds of times throughout the years and is on her album that I've had in my record collection since I was 17. Written by the great Jimmy Webb and originally a big hit for Richard Harris in 1968, the lyrics have always been a source of jokes and punchlines throughout the decades...particularly the part about leaving a cake out in the rain and old men playing Chinese checkers by the trees. Must have been some heavy stuff Jimmy was smoking back then when he wrote this crazy tune!!

Someone highlighted part of the lyrics in a comment on the video which brought me to tears. I knew Webb's words expressed his grief and aching sorrow for a relationship that had ended. They certainly hit me hard with my loss this morning. The cake out in the rain and not having the recipe again describe everything that's gone. Those were special ingredients that made up the two of us and they won't happen again.

But along with that thought, here are the lyrics that the person left in the comments...

“There will be another song for me
And I will sing it
There will be another dream for me
Someone will bring it
I will drink the wine while it is warm
And never let you catch me
Looking at the sun
And after all the loves of my life
After all the loves of my life
You'll still be the one"

That says it all in regards to my hope that something will eventually bring me back to life. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

This doesn't have anything to do with memories per se or songs/artists we were big into, but I recently was reminded that when in doubt and looking for some feel-good tunes, it's hard to beat Earth, Wind and Fire :)  

Case in point: 

• Like 4

• Moderators
widower2

Geez you guys. I think like most grief, the frequency and intensity of music striking a tragic chord fades over time, but I was just reminded it never totally goes away. I heard a song and it just hit me. A love/hate thing I guess. Hate the pain, but love that there was a reason to have what I had and miss it. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
Brazil Man

Don't leave me waiting here
Lead me to your door" 

• Like 4