Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How Do You Deal With Moving In w/Family Now?

tnd

• Members

So hard to sleep tonight. Emailed several churches. I even emailed the receptionist at my dentist's office because she belongs to a church. They are probably wondering why I haven't been in for a dental cleaning...but I pray I will get a response. I also emailed my apartment manager. She usually isn't in on weekends so probably will see it in the morning. Just thought she should know the latest. She's probably going to freak out. I am so embarrassed to be in this situation. I remember moving out of my parents house after my high school graduation and getting my own place. First I lived alone but was always scared at night. Finally shared a place with a friend. Sometimes I worked two jobs just to pay bills and save up. At one point I guess I kind of over did that because I got too skinny because I was working two jobs and playing co-ed softball when I could fit it in. But no matter, I always worked. Never, not once was behind on my rent or car payments. But things changed. And ten years ago I decided to be a housewife. But I should have kept working. I really should have. And now I am in the situation that I am in. Facing homelessness. But I can't survive on the street. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone on oxygen on the street homeless. But where do they go? Can't believe the shelters here are full and there's no housing. If a church can't help me then I am SOL. One more day is all I've got. One minute I cry and talk to my husband and then cry over missing him, the next I feel this sort of almost peaceful feeling come over me like no matter what happens, I will be okay. I know the good Lord will take care of me how He sees fit. I have got to accept it. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tnd

• John9

• KayC

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

tnd,

I have too also accept whatever God has in store for me. I am going to hope that somehow someone can help you. I know we will always second guess our decisions especially when as it seems now that our lives are falling apart. But like with the decisions my wife and I made in regards to my "job" as long as you and your Husband were okay with them then they were right at the time. I believe that you "qualify" for benefits I don't believe the system understands your total situation which is a whole other problem. Your situation is and at the same time can't really be all that unusual for the "in-betweener" like you who isn't 60 but is "sick" but doesn't have "proof" that they will accept to process the paperwork. There should be a true EMERGENCY team that these cases go directly to for review and not just added to the in box. They could even do a tentative file where if denied you repay the funds after all appeals. I am just saying that which you already know it is wrong how everyone is failing you and the ones here who want to help can't .

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
5 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I agree that you should not have any contact with your brother and SIL.  I would not even tell them where you have gone.

Gail 8588:  You can bet your sweet bippy that I won't be telling them ANYTHING. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Tnd, 

I am so very happy you reached out to this angel.  

Sleep well tonight!

Gail

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Tnd, 

I hope you can rest for a few days now!  

If, or when, your state representative contacts you, I would ask them to make inquiries to SSA to encourage swift processing of your disability application.  

Similarly, you may want to contact your federal congressional representative and ask them to do the same.  The federal agency, SSA, may be more responsive to a congressional inquiry than they are to a Texas State representative. 

Rest for now. You have been under a huge amount of stress. 

Hugs

Gail

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, tnd said:

wifi at hotel really sucks.

Is it any better in the lobby?  One more day...

We're all thinking off you, praying all goes well.  Hard enough dealing with loss without other issues complicating our lives.  (((hugs)))

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I had that issue at the Hospital the other night cell service didn't work and wifi didn't work and I was trying to tell MIL sisters that she died BUT the one who has been there for her was there when she died and got ot say goodbye even though we both "said" she wasn't in there there was not any life in her eyes even though she was breathing and her heart was beating so she never was coming back to the house even if she had lived. Sorry to turn this into a comment about me but I didn't post the details the other day.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
23 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

If, or when, your state representative contacts you, I would ask them to make inquiries to SSA to encourage swift processing of your disability application.  

Similarly, you may want to contact your federal congressional representative and ask them to do the same.  The federal agency, SSA, may be more responsive to a congressional inquiry than they are to a Texas State representative.

Gail 8588:  My state rep finally had his secretary email me about voucher housing/Section 8. Currently there is no housing available they are reopening the waiting list to accept applications again until Sept 17th. They will be having a lottery and drawing 5,000 names from applications. The names they draw will be put on the waiting list, which is 2 1/2 years. That's pretty bad but you never know, maybe people will drop out (or die homeless) and that moves everybody up the list. 

Next, your idea...I just might contact my state rep or federal rep about the status of my Widows Benefits. I can't live with Francis forever but at least I have a place to go for the time being. Thank you so much for thinking of me, Gail. Hope your day will go a little better knowing that you've helped someone who really needs help.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
8 hours ago, KayC said:

Is it any better in the lobby?  One more day...

, KayC:  Was wondering the same thing but the lobby is too far for me to walk. Weird, the wifi works okay then it doesn't. This is only temporary tho, no big deal other than I miss "being" with all of you guys! 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

@tnd  Today you go to Francis' place, they sound like authentic people who truly live what they believe and have compassion, including their son!  That is wonderful.  I know you want a place of your own and I will keep praying for that.  

• Like 2

• Members
18 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Angels can come in many forms, including people who are true of heart and kind in spirit (religious beliefs not required, IMO).  When God, in whatever way a person believes, needs assistance getting things done, why wouldn't it make sense to work in tangible ways through good people? 

foreverhis:  Francis and her family are definitely my Guardian Angels and what they have done for me is the miracle I asked God for. I have not seen Francis in many years and yet, she did not hesitate and called me the moment she got my email at my dentist's office. I remember her saying she wasn't going to retire until my dentist did. So I looked up my dentist and sure enough, she hadn't retired so I emailed the office from their website...and my Angel answered. Now, my husband said God does send some angels to earth in human form. I don't know in Francis is one of those but she definitely does the work of one! 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

tnd,

I hope that now some "pressure" is off of you that you be allowed to continue the good you are "destined" for. I also said to my son and the only MIL sister that was there for her really that I am done with the rest of "her" family and I never want or need to here from them again. I do hope that you are approved but maybe if it takes a small amount of time it will be better for you to be around people that actually care you are alive and "worry" about you like "we" do. This is the first Saturday that I am all ALONE and as I said before weekends are harder and Holiday weekends are harder and now MIL not here. It is "different" and I can still only do what I can do and even though I have no "structure" or routine anymore I still can't sleep much longer than I was, I still get up too early even with staying up later. Too much going through my head and things that need done and....If I "have" to be here I hope something starts to come into place and gets done but now with the death of MIL there is now more to do not less.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
13 hours ago, tnd said:

I am physically not doing too well.

This doesn't surprise me, you've had the worst stress of your life!  If it wasn't enough to deal with in losing your husband, but being disabled, broke, deserted and worse by "family," worried about being homeless, you've had way too much for any one being!  And stress displays itself physically all too often.  I hope now that you're under someone's roof that cares, that it settles down for you a bit!

Physical Grief Symptoms What's Your Grief
Physical Reactions to Loss

1 hour ago, John9 said:

with the death of MIL there is now more to do not less.

So unfair, just when you least feel like it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 9/4/2021 at 8:45 AM, John9 said:

Too much going through my head and things that need done and....If I "have" to be here I hope something starts to come into place and gets done but now with the death of MIL there is now more to do not less.

John9:  Take it from me, I know just what you are talking about and I'm a wreck! I'm pretty sure that I'd be unrecognizable to anyone who knew me. Some structure and routine would be good for people going through what we are. Even if I am living in someone else's house right now, I know I need to start a routine and be consistent with it. I'm going to start with small things, like making my own coffee (Francis uses a Keurig, I use a regular coffee pot). I'll continue feeding my cats, doing my laundry, bathing and keeping my room neat and tidy. From there, I will try to work up to taking walks if I physically can, Francis will go with me. Anyways, just try to do the small stuff. I know I am going to carry my grief with me but I am starting to talk about my husband without crying and gosh darn it, if it's not my time yet and I have to live life without him, then I want to at least work my way up to enjoying what I can of it. I hope you'll think about it and give it a go too. When you discovered your wife's petunias growing, I'd say that was a good start.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 9/4/2021 at 10:14 AM, KayC said:
On 9/3/2021 at 8:37 PM, tnd said:

I am physically not doing too well.

This doesn't surprise me, you've had the worst stress of your life!  If it wasn't enough to deal with in losing your husband, but being disabled, broke, deserted and worse by "family," worried about being homeless, you've had way too much for any one being!  And stress displays itself physically all too often.  I hope now that you're under someone's roof that cares, that it settles down for you a bit!

Physical Grief Symptoms What's Your Grief
Physical Reactions to Loss

KayC:  Thanks for the links. I am presently a stark pasty white with raccoon eyes. I have not been outdoors in a very long time because Sarcoidosis causes malabsorption of Vit D/Calcium while medications I am on cause giant hives and burns in the sun and lastly, I just haven't been able to get out by myself. I can do about 30 minutes tho or longer if I cover up. Francis will help me on walks. Next, I have not had a haircut in 2 years so my once short nice, fluffed up hair is long and all frizzy fly-away hair now with more silver in it than brunette, I look like a witch. A real scary one. And then I shake and do the shuffle when I walk. And I sound like I am either hyperventilating or like a pregnant woman in labor when I move around or do anything. If I sit, my breathing is mostly quiet except for the wheezing and rattling of my chest. No doubt stress and grief have added to my less-than-desirable appearance. But little by little, I swear, I will work my way back to a life where I can look in the mirror and say, "Hey! I remember her!" 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
11 minutes ago, John9 said:

I just miss her so much and now without MIL here it is "different" everything that was "always" here was just stolen away from me in the last 2 years between losing my wife, our pets and my friend and now MIL it's just not right,

John9:  No, it sure isn't right that you are alone and having to deal with all these losses and everything that goes with it. Someone needs to be there for YOU. And you described it perfectly; we were robbed. Not to minimize your grief but you are at a small advantage, you can still drive and get out if you need/want to. Other than getting out to take care of other people's estates, try going someplace just for yourself as well. Even if it's only a brief outing. Order yourself lunch somewhere, or coffee. Or an ice cream cone. Or maybe to get potting soil or something for the yard. A library. Or order yourself lunch and go eat it at a park or in your car but parked somewhere...and no, I don't think your driveway counts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

tnd,

I have been "out" more this week than in the last 3 months but it is so different and nothing feels right. I had said that now nothing is forcing me to stay in the house but I have been doing this so long I need to retrain myself slowly to deal with life.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

is there no one else to be her executor if you refuse it? 

KayC,

I am going to see if my son can be named, I am not sure but even then I will still have to help him. But he would at least gain experience for when he has to deal with my estate. I am beginning to wonder if I am here until all of this legal stuff is done so he doesn't have to do it. I just said to him he has lost 2/3 of his family in 6 months and I don't want to cause him any extra grief or stress BUT. I know he has a support system that should be able to help him and as we all know it is extremely important to have that. He still has my wife's family but since they weren't here now I expect them not to be then either. I think the good sister would try to help but it is so hard when "life" gets in the way (work and other things). There is nothing I can do because as I said I am here until God says otherwise even though I don't want to be and I will help him as long as I can to prepare for me not being here. I now have to do the things I never did to prepare my wife because IT happens.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

Gail, so glad yours is dressed up now too!  Mine looks like a new home, as new as a 43 1/2 year old mobile home can look!  :D  He'll come back and sand/stain the front porch deck but right now the smokey air is unbreathable!  I've never seen it this high in my life!  Planning my walks & Kodie's play dates around the air...I've cut his time playing to 1/2 hour from an hour.

I refuse to be my sister's executor, she named me anyway, my brain is not up to it, she should have appointed an attorney, or else let those who inherit do the job, they're younger.  Truth be told she will likely become a ward of the state as it's going and they will have everything so let them have at it, they get paid to.

Air 090721.JPG

• Hugs 2

• Members
On 9/5/2021 at 6:25 PM, John9 said:

I have been "out" more this week than in the last 3 months but it is so different and nothing feels right.

John9:  Yes, you've left the house but going out to deal with your MIL's probate and your friends estate and to plan a funeral doesn't count. hee, hee...sorry. At some point you might try a short outing JUST for yourself. That's why I suggested you go out to get a quick bite to eat or drink. Even a drive-thru and then park and eat or enjoy a coffee or cold drink. Somewhere other than having to work on stuff. And no, it probably won't feel right for a while. Other than to the store or to run errands, I never went anywhere without my husband. In fact, I think the last time I actually did any kind of leisurely shopping by myself was back in 2018. No fooling. So I imagine when I do finally venture out on my own it is not going to feel right. But the idea is to leave the house and do it for yourself. Once a week, twice a week, doesn't matter. Just test the waters. Get over the hump and then we can think about doing more for ourselves a little at a time. Look at me; I am living with people I hardly know. And they hardly know me. I don't know if I'd call it "putting on a brave face" but this whole experience is just so crazy and scary for me. But I am doing what I have to in order to survive. I think my husband would want me to. But I am trying to do it for myself. Just me. Because if I don't I'm afraid of what could happen. I'd hate to see you give up just because it didn't "feel right" to get out and go somewhere.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

right now the smokey air is unbreathable! 

KayC:  Oh my gosh! I wonder if a damp scarf or bandana over your nose/mouth would help. I doubt I could be there with all that smoke. Glad you like the new paint job on your house. Enjoy!   

• Like 1

• Members

Hello, All!  Just so you'll know, I will sign on and post as I can. Living in someone else's house doesn't make computer time easy. I don't want to be rude to my new family so don't want to be on the computer when I should be talking and spending time with them. Plus, I set up in their kitchen and don't want to commandeer their kitchen table. But I am still here, still waiting to hear about my Widow's Benefits so that I will know how much if anything I can afford on an apartment. I also applied for "emergency voucher housing", which there is a two year waiting list for. Yeah, so much for the "emergency". My application will be put into a lottery and then later on Sept 17th, they will draw 5,000 (yes, you read that right) names to be placed on a two year waiting list opposed to the 5-6 year waiting list. That is A LOT of homeless people! That's pathetic. 

Anyways, I am doing fine. Still not sleeping too well but alas, 2 nights in a row I've had dreams, which means I was asleep! Just not long enough. But at least no nitemares. Hope all of you are doing as well as you can. I still cry. And I'm not good at hiding it. But really, should any of us be? 

Me and Francis's son are babysitting 2 of her grandchildren today...one girl, one boy. Of course they are very curious and want to get into everything but overall, they are very sweet children and happy. They actually provide me a boost and something to think about other than my own troubles. I never had kids of my own so I am kind of liking this. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Tnd, 

So glad you are settling in. Young children really can give your soul a boost. 

Hoping many blessings, big and small, come your way. 

Gail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1