Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• RichS

• Rey Dominguez Jr

• widower2

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Gator M said:

I am now becoming, "that guy".  The lonesome loser...the loneliness is driving him crazy.  Beaten by the Queen of Hearts. 

I'm old enough to get that reference. But remember the end of that stanza: "he still keeps on trying"

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

You won't. None of us will. How could we? But that doesn't mean we shrivel up in a little ball and crumble away or that we'll be TOTALLY different either. We can still be "us" with some necessary modifications.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Gator M said:

Who is shriveling?  I'm going down swinging but I don't want to re-hap or re-up.

Glad to hear it! That wasn't aimed at you, just a general observation. And speaking from my own experience...my first thought afterwards was to shrivel up into a little ball and tuck away somewhere, but I didn't have that luxury.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, Gator M said:

I am dreading the Holidays.

As long as you spend the holidays with family and/or friends, you'll be fine. Plan ahead so YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, RichS said:

As long as you spend the holidays with family and/or friends, you'll be fine. Plan ahead so YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

That's difficult to do when I have no family or friends to be with.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, WithoutHer said:

That's difficult to do when I have no family or friends to be with.

...or family/friends who disappeared or you'd just as soon not be with. Yeah, she was the only thing I didn't hate about the holidays.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Inheriting her dog was the same for me. I couldn't just lay in bed all day, I had to get up, walk him, feed him, etc. But he returned the favor many times over just by being there and being good company for one but also my last tangible connection to her. I'm not sure I would have made it if not for him.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
8 hours ago, WithoutHer said:

Caring for our pets gives me reason to get up in the morning.

I agree.

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Dana L said:

Also all alone, introverted and finding it hard to get out - and not looking forward to the holidays OR winter. Lost my husband 4/27/22 two months after cancer diagnosis. He was only 63 and I met him when I was 17. I too have a dog that gets me out of bed and out walking everyday but the devastating loss, terrible loneliness,  and “over thinking everything” is overwhelming some days. 

Very sorry to hear. As for getting out, have you checked meetup.com? It's a way for people in your local area to set up social groups of all kinds to do things together (some are based on age, some on interests/hobbies, etc etc) and most groups are free or extremely cheap (like $5-10/year) and totally no pressure - you can attend whatever you want or not. There may even be a widower group in your area.

• Like 2

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
On 8/29/2023 at 7:31 PM, WithoutHer said:

Caring for our pets gives me reason to get up in the morning.

That's where I'm at right now.  We have two cats we brought home on Veronica's birthday, November 7, 2020.  Could be I need to take care of them for the next 10-15 years, perhaps.  

• Like 2

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
On 8/29/2023 at 1:56 AM, RichS said:

to this day I can look at photos of my wife

I do that every night.  Just spend time looking pictures saved on the computer, from our high school days to as recently as her last days in the hospital.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Our cat Salem was a former lab cat used by the N.C. State Veterinary College. He lived the college dorm life for a number of years (was in a 20 X 20 room with 19 other cats). The guy deserves living a quiet, comfortable retirement.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

I agree. That's what I felt when I adopted Kitty (got to know her at age 10) at 12, she grew up in a trailer court and was abandoned so many times by drug addicts who favored her kittens over her.  I promised her a forever home and I gave it to her.

• Like 3

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

So, I had saved quite a bit of money for our trip to the islands.  That trip can never happen anymore.  Looking around the house, maybe it’s time to take care of repair items with that saved cash, I suppose.  Nothing major, but the garage door really could use a replacement.  It’s a big old wooden door that is heavy and creaky and warped.  Back entry door is a cheap one that was installed about 10 years ago and is cracked and warped.  Also need some new blinds in the den where our older son has moved in since he changed jobs from being a moving company driver.  I’m sure there are a couple other things that will make themselves known.  I can just hear Veronica telling me “I’m glad you thought of those because I didn’t want to say anything.  But it’s about time!”  She could be brutally honest many times, when she needed to be.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
4 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

I can just hear Veronica telling me “I’m glad you thought of those because I didn’t want to say anything.  But it’s about time!”  She could be brutally honest many times, when she needed to be.  

That's part of this.  We KNOW what our loved ones would say, don't we?  

On the other hand, sometimes they would come up with things we didn't expect, so that's why we want them BACK.  In "reality."  ... that is, ... here ... whether this is "reality" is of course personal belief, oh shoot Boggling again.  ... hahahahahaha!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
5 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

It’s a big old wooden door that is heavy and creaky and warped.

Sounds a lot like how my legs feel these days........... :)

• Haha 2

• Moderators

This is a real positive!  Congratulations!  I talk to George, tell him things all the time.  I have a dog so people don't think I'm talking to myself, but mostly do it at home when no one's around, Kodie doesn't mind. 

trophy.jpg

• Like 4

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

In February, 2020, Veronica lost her balance and fell, causing a fracture in her left hip.  Painful to say the least.  She spent 3 nights in the hospital and then was transferred to a skilled nursing facility for recovery and rehab, to get her up and walking again after being laid up for so long.  She was discharged on June 9, 2020.  She was gone for 104 days.  Tomorrow, September 15, will be 105 days since she was admitted to the hospital with a heart attack.  In 2020, I knew she would come home eventually.  This is now the longest she has been gone from our home.  My head knows she is not coming back, like she did 3 years ago.  Veronica’s health had declined so much.  My heart wishes she could be here again.  😪  I miss her so much!  

Edited by Rey Dominguez Jr
grammar and context
  • Hugs 4

• Members

My head knows she is not coming back, like she did 3 years ago.  Veronica’s health had declined so much.  My heart wishes she could be here again.  

Grief has opened my understanding of "me" at least enough to recognize more than ever before, that our "minds" are made up of many parts!  I've noticed there's a part that's underneath my heart, that is a sort of "faith" part.  That's the part that just won't "accept" (what a word, isn't there some other word?  but that "accept" word and its implication of "agreement" is really what I'm dealing with ... and I remember thinking "I will NEVER accept! that he's gone!" )  anyhoo... the faith part of "me" does not agree! that he is "gone," it can agree that he's gone from this bodily world ... but he's still somewhere beyond the veil.  That I can "accept."  

... KayC, the line at the bottom of your posts has come back.  Kinda makes me laugh.  I agree!

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Boggled said:

the faith part of "me" does not agree! that he is "gone," it can agree that he's gone from this bodily world ... but he's still somewhere beyond the veil. 

That is how I believe too, I couldn't bear to never see him again!

1 hour ago, Boggled said:

... KayC, the line at the bottom of your posts has come back.  Kinda makes me laugh.  I agree!

I didn't know it disappeared!  I set it up to automatically appear when I post, years ago, on both sites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
28 minutes ago, KayC said:

I didn't know it disappeared! 

🤣 it did!   seems like it used-ta be blue, too;  now it's grey.   😇

• Members
6 hours ago, Boggled said:

🤣 it did!   seems like it used-ta be blue, too;  now it's grey.   😇

If you look at the bottom right of posts by members with signature lines (the permanent ones), there's a little grey X.  If you hover over it, it gives you the option to "Ignore signature preferences" so you don't see that member's "bottom line."  Is it possible that you accidentally clicked on that at some point and then clicked back, not realizing that's what it was?  Kay's may have been blue before the latest updates and changes to the forums?  I never click them off, though I don't have one myself.  I like to know what members find important enough to bring along with them to all their posts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
1 minute ago, KayC said:

Haha, see what my old eyes miss?!

Not to worry, Kay.  I only noticed it now because I was looking and wondered "What is that for?":biggrin:

• Like 1

• Members
14 hours ago, foreverhis said:

If you look at the bottom right of posts by members with signature lines (the permanent ones), there's a little grey X.  If you hover over it, it gives you the option to "Ignore signature preferences" so you don't see that member's "bottom line."  Is it possible that you accidentally clicked on that at some point and then clicked back, not realizing that's what it was?

That's possible.  My fingers might have done that without me knowing it ... 

I like Kay's signature, it's the same way I feel.  I never noticed that "x" either until now.

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

He says better is kind of relative, and gradual but it’s becoming more tolerable.

Excellent way to describe it!

• Members

Had to think about that and I admit that’s kind of where I am, also.  I guess I have got used to Veronica not being here anymore.  I don’t like it but that is the reality.  The crying and the tears are not as intense, but the sadness hangs like a storm cloud.  I told him I know what he means.  I have my moments where it sucks more than at other times, but it still sucks!  One day at a time.  

That kind of explains where I am at this time. Some days I can accept it more than others. Other days, I'm still in a mild shock. Either way, I don't like it. Lately my mental pain is being somewhat replaced by physical pain (dealing with sciatica) but definitely not a good distraction.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I have sort of had a reversal. You know how when you are apart for a short time, like maybe for a business trip, after the initial wrench you go about your day knowing he/she will be back soon. Then you start anticipating their return and you start to get more restless each day. That is where I am now. Each day apart is becoming more painful and though I mostly keep it inside it is tearing me apart. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Hugs 2

• Members
2 hours ago, LMR said:

I have sort of had a reversal. You know how when you are apart for a short time, like maybe for a business trip, after the initial wrench you go about your day knowing he/she will be back soon. Then you start anticipating their return and you start to get more restless each day. That is where I am now. Each day apart is becoming more painful and though I mostly keep it inside it is tearing me apart. 

LMR, I'm so sorry!    It's been happening to me too, but lately it's sort of fading!   I don't know why!  The SORROW is the big thing for me, which hits, mostly really hard, when some new memory comes up and whamm I'm crying, tears flowing down my cheeks, and I just go with it.  

Ever since my 2012 Volt stopped running on Aug. 25, I've been sitting at home, no transportation, waiting for the car I ordered to arrive which will be about another month.  But.  My MIL calls me every night.  We talk for about an hour.  So I have human communication at least once every night, AND I know I can depend on it!  Plus, my one friend in "town" calls me a couple times a week (or I call her).  Other than that, rural area, our one neighbor we were friends with died, and his son moved away ... several months ago.   I THINK the quiet is really what I want, to deal with this grief deeply and entirely, ... learn from it.  One thing:  I think I'm REALLY LUCKY, to have had the love, real love, the deep connection, with my husband.   This was both of our second marriage;  the first for both of us did not work out, even though we'd given it a good hard try!  Lesson from that:   the marriage between me and my husband was WONDERFUL.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1