Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Has loss turned anyone else into a serious night owl

widower2

• Moderators

I could never really get into tea. I drink some in the winter more because it's hot vs liking tea. 

• Like 2

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• KayC

• Griefsucks810

• RichS

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
14 hours ago, Griefsucks810 said:

Should I type in “pink noise” instead? This is all new to me and I’m scared that I won’t fall asleep. How long does it take you to fall asleep listening to the noise? 

Yes, “pink noise” or “green noise”.   One is higher in overall pitch, if you will, higher overall frequency.  I find the rain sounds similar to pink noise, at least to my ear.  I think I am usually asleep in about 30-40 minutes, after flopping around a bit to get comfy.  

• Like 3

• Members
Griefsucks810
14 hours ago, Jemiga70 said:

Actually, I found the sound meditations on Helping Parents Heal.  (I have not lost a child but find HPH's resources helpful in my grief.)  Here:  https://www.helpingparentsheal.org/youtube-videos/sound-meditations/

Sound meditation probably helps with sleep in combination with the other things I do.  I tried meditating the usual way by following someone's voice and trying to picture things in my mind, but I gave up because I'd get so distracted; my mind would wander the whole bloody time.  With sound meditation, the host plays crystal bowls, chimes, sometimes a drum or others.  There is some talking but I don't find it distracting.

I've never heard of green tea potentially raising blood sugar levels - best to consult your doctor - but there are many other kinds of tea - black, white, oolong, pu er....  I lived in China for a while so I got to try all sorts. They "invented" it after all.  In China tea is traditionally drunk without milk or sugar. - that's a British thing.  Most Chinese are conscious of tea's medicinal effects. And then there are the delicious teas from India and Sri Lanka!    Good luck,

I found a classical music sound last night and played it from my iPhone while I layed in bed with my eyes shut. It worked; I was able to fall asleep faster than I have been.  Woke up a few times but fell back to sleep. 

• Like 4

• Members
HisMunchkin

Speaking of listening to stuff, have you guys ever heard of "sound bath"? 

• Like 3

• Members

Ughhhh yes. All the BIG thoughts come out at night and have a party in my brain. Kind hard to sleep with all that going on

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

1 AM and a Twilight Zone double shot is on, whoo hooooo

:wacko:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Members
JonathanFive
6 minutes ago, widower2 said:

1 AM and a Twilight Zone double shot is on, whoo hooooo

:wacko:

I'm also wide awake.  It's a good thing both you and I work from home tomorrow morning!!  🙂

• Like 2

• Moderators
widower2

Getting a littler better...."only" getting to bed 1-2 AM lately. 

• Like 3

• Members

I'm up again tonight (after feeling tired all afternoon and evening). Took a melotonin. We'll see what happens..............

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I hope you got to sleep.  I slept well last night, one never knows...

• Like 2

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

I slept well last night, one never knows

This week, I've had a lot of racy thoughts. Nothing scary or worrisome, just a lot of everything and nothing. Still can't figure out how my mind works after all these decades.

For you, NO SKUNKS, no problem for you and Kodie.........For Iris, no problem, either. She just puts them in a cage.........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Members
Adriennelc
On 2/18/2024 at 5:55 AM, widow39 said:

Ughhhh yes. All the BIG thoughts come out at night and have a party in my brain. Kind hard to sleep with all that going on

Totally agree with you.  I take CBD oil with THC.  That gets me the first 4/5 hours.  After that it's the radio or TV on with thoughts running amok in my head.  I get up at 5/6am for some toast and coffee.

• Like 3

• Moderators
widower2

1:30 am. Wide awake. O yay.  ugh

• Like 3

• Members

Something in the air must be heading down I-95 (from Pennsylvania to Maryland to North Carolina). I can't fall asleep tonight, either. Something in my subconcious? Who knows? If they can have earthquakes in New Jersey, why should I even try to figure out why I'm up?

• Like 4

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

Just after midnight as I type this.  1 am is when I am usually in bed, and even then, most times I seem to sleep well (what I can remember), then get up to go to the bathroom about 3-4 am, then sleep until about 9 am.  Getting to bed at 1 am is kinda tough when I have an early Red Cross shift like I do tomorrow.  Not sure why I scheduled myself for an early one, but I told them I’d be there.  Stopped taking diphenhydramine (Benadryl) to sleep.  Read that long term use is not healthy at all, so I figured i should put that aside.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Stopped taking diphenhydramine (Benadryl) to sleep.  Read that long term use is not healthy at all, so I figured i should put that aside.  

But then neither is not sleeping.  Something will get us all in the end I figure.

• Like 3

• Members
missyw2010

I've been having a hard time staying a sleep . And going to sleep

• Hugs 3

• Members
35 minutes ago, missyw2010 said:

I've been having a hard time staying a sleep . And going to sleep

Welcome to our board, Missy. When you're not sleeping this board has lots of nice folks who will help you deal with your grief; because we are right alongside you dealing with it ourselves. We support and encourage each other every day. Please continue to post here.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
  • Members

For the first two weeks after my wife died I was on sleeping tablets, as I simply couldn't sleep. I haven't taken any since then, but have them, just in case I need them. Now, when I wake during the night, I'm normally awake an hour or so. So what I usually do now, is when my Son goes to bed, I'm going to bed not long after him. That way, if I wake for too long during the night, I won't be missing too much sleep. Its actually working quite well.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

I go to bed at 7 pm, hard to get to sleep much earlier than that!  I wake during the night to use the bathroom, when I go back to bed, it's anyone's guess whether I'll sleep any more than that or not.

• Like 1

• Moderators
widower2

Been trying to cut back on the alcohol....unfortunately, that's my "sleeping pill" which does not help get to sleep at a decent hour!

• Like 4

• Members
10 minutes ago, widower2 said:

Been trying to cut back on the alcohol....unfortunately, that's my "sleeping pill" which does not help get to sleep at a decent hour!

Hi widower2, I am sincerely sorry for your loss. Have you tried exercise? Especially in the fresh air. Also, light reading of normal printed books (not on phone or computer) could help to fall asleep. Something not too serious, comedy or story books for example. Also, do you switch off any phones / wifi etc etc completely before bed? I've been doing this for years... All the best to you ♥️

• Like 3

• Moderators

Our phone and internet were out all day yesterday, my BS was up a bit this morning, first time since doing OMAD for a month that it's been over 100.  Don't know if it was that being out or my foot injury, but ate well so who knows.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Good for you!  And I bet she's proud of you!

• Like 3

• Members
HisMunchkin
9 hours ago, widower2 said:

Been trying to cut back on the alcohol

That's awesome!  Congrats!!! 👍👍👍

8 hours ago, widower2 said:

I am one of those radicals who is not at all addicted to my phone or checking it constantly throughout the day :)  

Me too!

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, widower2 said:

Kind of in a catch-22, I hope you can figure it out.

• Like 3

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

Good for you!  And I bet she's proud of you!

Thank you, I hope so. I'm trying my best. That's all anyone can do.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1