Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The holidays...can't it just be April now

widower2

• Members
2 hours ago, DWS said:

But when my sister-in-law asked me what's new with me, I heard myself reply "not too much...not much at all".  Sounds so innocent doesn't it, not to mention uninteresting but what I've been up to this past year is anything but that. Like everyone here, I've been on a grief journey taking me places that I've never been before. I've been thinking this morning what I really wish I said to my sister-in-law is "I've been to hell and back...actually, I went there two or three times a month for a while...not quite as often now. They're all kind of spur of the moment type trips. Some lasted a few days...many just a few hours. For a while there, I didn't seem to get much time to unpack before I was off again. And I've met some really sweet and wonderful people who are also on their own grief journeys. We take notes and suggest places to visit and, most importantly, places to avoid. So yeah, I've been up to quite a bit lately!"

Well you've been working on the dungeon under the house, DWS, and you built up your kitty tower to make your kitty feel like a king!  and yeah, I only talk on HERE about this grief journey.  I figure ... when other loved ones call, they have an inkling, not really an understanding, but a pretty solid inkling, that I'm still "grieving,"  which is what we call this really weird "journey," but I don't want to un-float their boats.   There are the day to day things to talk about, someone on here had said something like "I don't want them to know for a long long time," that's about right for me too.

But BTW, DWS, loved that post!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• DWS

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have been dreading Christmas this year, but I did not expect what happened yesterday. My 20 month old grandson was admitted to the hospital last night. My son and his family live in Mexico City so all I can do is support them through video calls and messaging. They have been doing tests and hopefully they will get this figured out. I wish I could help more, but I have to wait until my son gives me more info. My grandson was feeling better this morning as i could see from the video chat. It’s still hard not being there, but it is what it is. 

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

• Members

Just one more day to get through....New Year's Day... a very reflective time. Keeping to the one-day-at-a-time strategy gets a bit tough to do when you're faced with a brand new year ahead. Hopefully, January 2nd will be easier. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

NY Day has never been a big deal for me, I don't usually make resolutions on that day although that's when I started Keto four years ago and have held to it.  This weekend was extremely hard but got through it and it went better than I'd expected.  I have today to recover and then tomorrow have to take Iris in to leave off her car, will be an all day thing.  So today will be resting up some!

Wishing you all much better this year, that's what one always hopes and what NY signifies to me.  Just thinking that brought me instant anxiety of what the year could hold, I guess it's good we don't know in advance, back to one day at a time!

• Like 3

• Members
ThereIsAField
On 11/13/2023 at 2:35 AM, widower2 said:

I doubt I'm the only one here who mostly if not entirely dreads holidays.

How you feeling now that the holidays are "done"? Relieved to have got them over and done with?

Or are there some between now and April that are still a bother?

• Like 2

• Members
5 minutes ago, ThereIsAField said:

How you feeling now that the holidays are "done"? Relieved to have got them over and done with? Or are there some between now and April that are still a bother?

On January 26th, what would have been my 44th anniversary is coming up. I'll survive it, though. It's part of my involuntary new normal. On the positive side, our uncle will turn 95 on January 16th.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

Valentine's is rough as it was a big day for us and now it's just empty...

But I miss him and always will.

• Like 4

• Moderators
widower2
25 minutes ago, ThereIsAField said:

How you feeling now that the holidays are "done"? Relieved to have got them over and done with?

Or are there some between now and April that are still a bother?

Yes, glad they're over. As far as between now and April, I just hate the winter. Dark, cold, ugh.

• Like 3

• Members
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

As far as between now and April, I just hate the winter. Dark, cold, ugh.

At least the daylight is slowly getting longer....................

• Like 3

• Moderators
widower2

Yeah but it won't be really noticeable for at least another month. 

• Like 2

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
13 hours ago, KayC said:

Valentine's is rough as it was a big day for us and now it's just empty...

Same here.  We always did something and I always got Veronica flowers.  Heck I used to get her flowers “just because” and she always loved them.  In August for your anniversary I got flowers and just kept them here on the dining room table where she liked to have them so she could see them.

Today, friends and others would say “Happy New Year” to me.  All I could muster was “Thank you.”  Just wasn’t feeling the happy without my bride.  😪

• Like 4

• Members
9 hours ago, RichS said:

Yea, I'm in the same line as you.........................

Yea, I'm in this line as well........................

I'm with you both on this. Can't see any point in making resolutions. Still just struggling to find a point to getting out of bed each day. The worst one though is when people say "make a wish". The only thing I want I know is impossible so I don't want to wish for anything. Not for myself anyway.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
17 hours ago, widower2 said:

Yes, glad they're over. As far as between now and April, I just hate the winter. Dark, cold, ugh.

I feel the same!!  It’s so cold here, not much snow.  That is bad for our environment but nice for driving and shoveling.  In a few weeks I’m off to Florida.  The month spent there helps break up the long cold winter not to mention I get to be with my daughter who I haven’t seen in a year!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Griefsucks810
On 12/26/2023 at 8:50 AM, DWS said:

I'm being a bit rough on myself this morning after not doing that yesterday at the family Christmas. The gathering was pleasant enough so definitely nothing for me to complain about at all but I had to endure listening to my sister-in-law talk about all of the things that she and my brother have been up to as they live quite a vibrant lifestyle. They along with a group of their friends and family are all off to Mexico in a couple of days....standard type vacations that all of them do together three or four times a year it seems. 

But when my sister-in-law asked me what's new with me, I heard myself reply "not too much...not much at all".  Sounds so innocent doesn't it, not to mention uninteresting but what I've been up to this past year is anything but that. Like everyone here, I've been on a grief journey taking me places that I've never been before. I've been thinking this morning what I really wish I said to my sister-in-law is "I've been to hell and back...actually, I went there two or three times a month for a while...not quite as often now. They're all kind of spur of the moment type trips. Some lasted a few days...many just a few hours. For a while there, I didn't seem to get much time to unpack before I was off again. And I've met some really sweet and wonderful people who are also on their own grief journeys. We take notes and suggest places to visit and, most importantly, places to avoid. So yeah, I've been up to quite a bit lately!"

Grieve as long as it takes for you to start feeling better 

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SSC said:

I feel the same!!  It’s so cold here, not much snow.  That is bad for our environment but nice for driving and shoveling.  

I am so glad!  We're getting snow the end of this week, may not be able to make church, will see how it plays out.  They're still way underpredicting the cold so it could be worse than predicted, one never knows until you look outside!

2 hours ago, SSC said:

In a few weeks I’m off to Florida.  The month spent there helps break up the long cold winter not to mention I get to be with my daughter who I haven’t seen in a year!

So glad for you!  It sounds wonderful to me!

• Like 2