Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The holidays...can't it just be April now

widower2

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

I asked her if she read the instructions I'd put on them and she said she didn't have her glasses.

It's good that she's not an Uber driver.............

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• DWS

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, RichS said:

It's good that she's not an Uber driver.............

She doesn't drive and her husband is disabled and can't drive.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/4/2023 at 5:51 AM, KayC said:

We had our church potluck yesterday, I'd spent two hours making Keto Raviolis, the cheese slices were stuck hard to each other, I had to cut them apart, no easy feat.  The papers inbetween were maybe 1/3 in, that's it.  Finally got it done and cleaned up, took them to church with a note on it to heat to lukewarm in microwave, DO NOT OVERHEAT!  The Deaconess that did it literally sizzled them to death. I was swo upset! I asked her if she read the instructions I'd put on them and she said she didn't have her glasses.  Never bringing anything like that again.  Never!

ugh sorry Kay. What is it with people these days, it's like they're comatose... I think our parents were right: TV DID rot our brains. In fact, just today I was driving to work and was behind someone swerving all over the road. I thought "oh great, I'm behind a drunk" and prepared to call the cops at the next light...figures, I hit all greens...when we got on the interstate and I passed, turns out it was this old lady yapping on her stupid cell phone while driving, and I mean she had the phone right up to her face. I honestly wanted to crash into her so bad (but then I remembered I might get hurt too...darn). I'd also hoped she would stop somewhere before we got on the interstate so I could go "Excuse me ma'am, may I see that phone for a sec?" And if she gave it to me....HEAVED it out onto the highway, then got right in her face and went "WHEN YOU'RE DRIVING....JUST DRIVE. GET THE STUPID PHONE OUT WHEN YOU'RE DONE DRIVING." 

And folks ask me "why aren't you a people person?"  

45 minutes ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Well, now the Christmas cards are starting to arrive.  I look at the envelope with only my name on there.  Used to be “Mr & Mrs” or “Rey & Veronica”.  Now just me.  Another reminder that Veronica is not here anymore.  😪

Trying to figure out what decorations to put up.  Set up Veronica’s nativity set which she liked so much.  Put a wreath on the front door, easy stuff.  Might bring down the Christmas themed coffee cups.  Can’t decide right now.  

Sorry Rey about the cards, that has to be really hard. I put up some things but haven't put up a tree since she passed...why? A lot of work and who's going to see it? A curious wren passing by? But some do and get comfort from it, so I get that. It's different for everyone. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 hours ago, widower2 said:

"Excuse me ma'am, may I see that phone for a sec?" And if she gave it to me....HEAVED it out onto the highway, then got right in her face and went "WHEN YOU'RE DRIVING....JUST DRIVE. GET THE STUPID PHONE OUT WHEN YOU'RE DONE DRIVING." 

I feel the same. Don't they realize in the blink of an eye they could incapacitate someone like my sister Donna, making her quadriplegic for life and ruining her vocal chords and killing her three year old baby, rendering her unable to raise her four month old baby...her fiance took one look at her in the hospital and left, never to be seen again and I hope he rots you know where...

These people don't think!  Period.

3 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

I have ordered about 20 of these ornaments with Veronica’s picture on them with her name, and birth year and year of her passing.

That is so sweet, my tree is a memory tree with all kinds of memories on it, something like that would fit right in and be appreciated.  Blessings to you...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
11 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Trying to figure out what decorations to put up.  Set up Veronica’s nativity set which she liked so much.  Put a wreath on the front door, easy stuff.  Might bring down the Christmas themed coffee cups.  Can’t decide right now.  

My dear Tom's favorite Christmas thing was Hallmark movies, starting in October. I adore him with every beat of my heart but sorry, honey, no can do! He did love to share his wealth so I'll do that in his honor.

• Hugs 2

• Members
12 hours ago, widower2 said:

And folks ask me "why aren't you a people person?"  

Not to worry. None of us will ever be at the same level as Don Rickles  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, KayC said:

I feel the same. Don't they realize in the blink of an eye they could incapacitate someone like my sister Donna, making her quadriplegic for life and ruining her vocal chords and killing her three year old baby, rendering her unable to raise her four month old baby...her fiance took one look at her in the hospital and left, never to be seen again and I hope he rots you know where...

These people don't think!  Period.

omg Kay, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine. I hope the driver is in prison.

53 minutes ago, RichS said:

Not to worry. None of us will ever be at the same level as Don Rickles  :)

ha - as you probably know, he was actually known for being the total opposite of his mean guy persona. And his act would never fly today, too many Snowflakes would pitch a fit-!

• Hugs 1

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

her fiance took one look at her in the hospital and left, never to be seen again and I hope he rots you know where...

How could he walk out on his family?! That is heartless and the ultimate form of selfishness.......................

• Hugs 2

• Moderators

We looked at it as the one positive in the situation, can you imagine him for a husband!

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

I hope the driver is in prison.

The other driver was my other sister.  She said she couldn't remember...well not consciously but she spent the rest of her life trying to make it up to her so I know she remembered, just not consciously.  It doesn't matter who though, what matters is it takes one moment to destroy someone's life!  That was 75 years ago.   Donna died in 2018.  She was an amazing person!  She was an inspiration to me and to all of us.

My nephew became my brother after my parents raised him four years and then his father who had never laid eyes on him came and kidnapped him for a year, his wicked stepmother (who broke up their marriage) treated him horribly, they lived in Germany, Mick didn't know the language or anything, he was like a wild animal when we got him back, my parents then adopted him.  He's turned out amazing!

You can't nmake this stuff up.

• Like 1

• Members
9 minutes ago, KayC said:

We looked at it as the one positive in the situation, can you imagine him for a husband!

As my dear, hilarious, and very wise late ex mother-in-law would say, "How'd you like to be married to THAT?"

• Like 2

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, KayC said:

The other driver was my other sister.  She said she couldn't remember...well not consciously but she spent the rest of her life trying to make it up to her so I know she remembered, just not consciously.  It doesn't matter who though, what matters is it takes one moment to destroy someone's life!  That was 75 years ago.   Donna died in 2018.  She was an amazing person!  She was an inspiration to me and to all of us.

My nephew became my brother after my parents raised him four years and then his father who had never laid eyes on him came and kidnapped him for a year, his wicked stepmother (who broke up their marriage) treated him horribly, they lived in Germany, Mick didn't know the language or anything, he was like a wild animal when we got him back, my parents then adopted him.  He's turned out amazing!

You can't nmake this stuff up.

Oh I'm so sorry Kay, I misunderstood. I'm glad your nephew had a good outcome though!

• Like 2

• Moderators

He met and married someone from his first job, he worked three jobs and supported their five kids!  He handled my sister Peggy's estate.  He handled my mom's when she had dementia.  They say to ask the busiest person you know, some truth to that! He volunteered to.  He's 15 years younger than me, still working.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'm sorry, Rich.  I have a good back but no strength due to my 16 hand injuries.  Hoping next year someone will help me.

• Like 3

• Moderators

If only we were in the same state Kay :)  I hope you find whatever help you need.

My mother is dealing with health issues and there's all kinds of ridiculous family drama (not a surprise tbh)...can't it just be April now?? 

• Like 4

• Moderators
5 hours ago, widower2 said:

If only we were in the same state Kay :)  I hope you find whatever help you need.

My mother is dealing with health issues and there's all kinds of ridiculous family drama (not a surprise tbh)...can't it just be April now?? 

I have a lot worse things going on that Christmas trees...the neighbor that literally keeps me in my home, getting firewood, cutting/trimming trees, mowing, weedwhacking, burn piles, blowing off my roof, gutters, trench in front of carport and cleaning my chimney got in a horrid accident (himself only) on his way home from work Sat. He's in the hospital with six ribs broken in 12 places, but the worst breaks are his T-1, T-12, and L-1.  It will take a good year to heal.  Not sure he'll ever be the same again, but he has something good going for him: he was in the best shape of any man I know, three times the energy.  This is the longest he's held still in his life.  He did these things not only for me but for many of his neighbors.  I've been told he doesn't have medical insurance, who knows.  Car ins doesn't cover medical for him is what I'm told, again who knows, I know they have limits this will exceed.  He has a good partner and a 19 year old son.

And this virus keeps hanging on...it's been a week now.

• Hugs 4

• Moderators

His GF is a schoolteacher but she has made the 130 mile trek every day to be with him.  I haven't seen his son so imagine he's been with them too.  I'm glad he has them, can you imagine one of us going through that alone!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Me too...looks like I may miss our only family celebration Saturday, we'll see...they're calling for snow Friday night and Saturday at my elevation.  If I go and it's snowing while I'm gone, I may not be able to make it home and it's not worth going into a ditch.  Forecasts have been WAY off this year so hard to predict, it was 20 degrees colder than predicted yesterday so if it errs, it won't be in my favor.

• Sad 3

• Members
On 12/18/2023 at 7:26 AM, SSC said:

Almost there.. one week to go… I’m so ready for it to be over!

I will be so glad too.

There's definitely a familiar frame of mind that I think we all get caught up in at Christmas. It's the time of year when remembrances and memories are put on steroids and for all of us grievers, that's really the last thing that any of us need! I found this quote and put it on some Christmas cards that I created. I was looking for something to express my crazy current mindset and this seemed appropriate without sounding too maudlin..."Christmas is the day that holds all time together" written by poet Alexander Smith in the 1800s. In an article that I read about the quote, the writer said "It is the Christmas season, more so than any other time, when past, present, and future come together in one glorious, unified experience".  I'm not so sure on the glorious part but it sure can be that way. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Kay:  We're glad to hear that you won't be alone on Christmas Day. I wish that for all of our board members as well. Hope Kodie can come along as well. They can always have him sit in the living room, turn the TV on, and have him watch a few hours of Animal Planet. :)

• Like 4

• Moderators

He's fine tethered to me.  ;)  He's a service dog and when he's working or even if he isn't, he knows how to behave.  The only time he considers time off is when He has his play date with Jazzy.

• Like 1

• Members

Megan Devine, author of "It's Okay That You're Not Okay", recently posted her response to one of her viewers' questions on how you deal with seeing other people's families still intact over the Christmas holidays. I like her views here...not that I think she has any right solution or holds this great grief wisdom...but that she, as a griever herself, knows there are no general true answers and as she demonstrates in the video, our thoughts can go everywhere. There's just no direct way of describing these emotions and out-of-control thoughts but when we try to give others' advice, it becomes our chance to release what we've learned along with what we're still dealing with. I think that's why she's a good teacher in the topic of grief and loss. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I don't want to be anyone's bummer on Christmas, do you know what I mean? I also don't want anyone to call me just to check on how I'm doing. If you haven't been in touch since Tom died, don't make calling me your good deed of the day. I'M FINE. (of course you guys know I'm not fine, but my not-fineness is not for public consumption.) Geez I sound harsh. Just figuring out how to navigate this.

• Hugs 4

• Members
4 hours ago, Sim7079 said:

Plus this person had changed my name back to my maiden name.

Oh that's COLD. That's just deliberately mean!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think it'd be a reminder of what she did before, I'd probably toss it, just me.  Glad she got it right this year.

I just remember years ago Dr Phil saying  "We have to teach people how to treat us."  Guess that's true.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Members
50 minutes ago, DWS said:

And I've met some really sweet and wonderful people who are also on their own grief journeys.

And I'll bet some of them are on this board.

51 minutes ago, DWS said:

I had to endure listening to my sister-in-law talk about all of the things that she and my brother have been up to as they live quite a vibrant lifestyle

I have a cousin who lives alone. His parents died (my aunt and uncle). If you add up all of his assets (house, cash, IRA's ,etc.) he's worth about $2 million dollars. We talk about once a week. A lot of the conversation centers around getting the best interest rates on CD's and Treasury Bills, stocks to buy. He says he wants to be financially secure. I tell him he already is financially secure. I admit, I continue on with this topic with him; only because I already know that when we start discussing our losses (grieving) he'll only go so far with it. He needs to get involved with some grieving group and he knows that he needs to get out of the house more. Strange as it may seem, he's still poor in some areas of his life; and I'll leave it at that.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2