Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• DWS

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I drink to you, fellow Ebenezer. :)  

The "death anniversaries" don't bother me like they seem to bother many, but still I'm similar, i.e., lost my beloved in Oct, my sister in Oct, my Godfather (my best friend's dad and they were like a second family to me) day after Christmas, etc. ugh. No plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Again: can't it just be spring...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

My son called yesterday, he bought this house three years ago, the former sellers sold it with a new roof, now it's leaking everywhere, and the company is defunct. Their dryer went out. They have a gas leak. And a neighbor took out their fence, Paul had to cob it together, large section, as the dogs couldn't go out like that.  Neighbor has done nothing.  WTH!  Bethany is overextended and keeps trying to loan HIM out!  He tells her not to.  They're going to her sister's for TG so I'm high and dry.  The only reason I go is to be with family. I just drove the huge trip to town for groceries so too late to buy turkey, not sure they'd want what I eat and my refrigerator is tiny.  I'd thought my entertaining days were done, that's what Paul had said over 12 years ago, oh well.  I messaged Melissa, haven't heard back.  Iris invited me to go with her to the Methodist TG spread, all I can eat is the turkey, everything else is carbs.  Will see.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Yams 42 carbs/serving, corn 29 per cup.  I stay under 20 carbs/day, preferrably under 14.  My blood sugar would be over 200 with that, I try to keep it in the 90s or very low 100s.

Have you tried just cooking a breast or legs?  If it wasn't for the carb issue, I'd just buy a turkey dinner at the store.  Oh well, doesn't matter what I eat, when I went to my son's last year all I could eat was the turkey and the pumpkin mug cake I'd brought for him and I.  But with no family, it doesn't matter.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I think so many of us have come to associate expectation with the holidays, even though it's the time of the year more people commit suicide and have depression.  It's what Hallmark has taught us, and our past experiences when thing were good.

• Like 4

• Members
9 minutes ago, KayC said:

I think so many of us have come to associate expectation with the holidays, even though it's the time of the year more people commit suicide and have depression.  It's what Hallmark has taught us, and our past experiences when thing were good.

Right. The pandemic has kind of prepared me for this. I'm immunodeficient and my husband and I had not done indoor family gatherings since 2020. That's not likely to change.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

I know what you mean about cooking turkey for one, it's way too much. Here we have Butterball turkey rolls, either with white meat, dark meat or one with stuffing in the center. I'm sure if you're in the States they have them too. I thaw it out and put it in the slow cooker for about 2 hours or so, I check the temperature with a thermometer just in case. I'll get about 3 or 4 dinners out of it, but usually I'll freeze the remaining portions, after slicing it. It's like a big fat salami. Just a consideration for an alternative.

Thanks great idea, but it looks like they don't sell them here; the only turkey rolls I see are ground turkey. I might try the cutlets and just pan cook them or something!

• Like 4

• Moderators

That sounds good!  I had some turkey in the freezer but must have given it away, went out there and went through it all...nope!

• Like 2

• Members
4 hours ago, widower2 said:

Thanks great idea, but it looks like they don't sell them here; the only turkey rolls I see are ground turkey. I might try the cutlets and just pan cook them or something!

You're welcome. No, they are solid meat and they are pre-basted. I just put a little bit of water and olive oil in the slow cooker so it doesn't burn, but it produces it's own liquid too. I use that as a gravy, no need to make one. My mom used to make them too because everyone loves breast meat, and no one liked the dark meat on the bones on a full turkey. So no waste. Hope you might be able to locate one. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

You need a miniature meatballer, they sell them on eBay, probably Amazon too.  Enjoy your soup!

• Like 3

• Members
1 hour ago, widower2 said:

Found it, thanks! I wish I'd known about this years ago. The one I got doesn't have stuffing in the center, but that's OK, I have stuffing I can make. It was busy when I went to the store at lunch today, but not too crazy. I don't even want to think about going anywhere near any store of any kind again until at least Monday!

You made my day. I am ecstatic that you found one. Oh, the ones without stuffing are better because you're getting a lot more meat for the same price. Yes, they are amazing because they have no leftovers and especially no bones. Keep an eye out for after your Thanksgiving or Christmas, usually they drop the price on them. What I do is buy a couple and just put them in the freezer. I hope you enjoy it, and Happy Thanksgiving, we had ours a month ago up here in Canada.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Nice of you to say, so you just made mine. :)  I love pork tenderloins, so I'll cook this the same way (on the grill). Great advice on the sales; yeah I often do that in general for holiday food, get those deals afterwards. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

• Like 4

• Moderators

Looking up how to cook it and I think I will just grill it like I do pork tenderloins, but I'm a little leery...I tried cooking turkey cutlets last year and it didn't work out. I fear you can't grill turkey as you can chicken or pork.

• Like 3

• Members

This time of the year can be just pure hell for us grievers. Most of that, for me, is the endless grueling marketing and advertising going on....the continual pounding in our brains of warm and cuddly Christmases with the ones we love. I swear my email inbox is going to have a computer meltdown from the ad spam of Black Friday deals. Curses to whoever invented such an invasive atrocity!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

The bad part of all those spam emails is that those Black Friday sales are not really sales. They jack up the price a bit and then lower it. I hate that. And yes, spent lots of time deleting the crap that came up. Arghhhh, still looking for a deal on a freezer.  It's been on sale for the last 6 months but it's the same price everywhere else, so not really on sale.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Two days ago it was 20 for over 12 hours, never got above 40.  Did a little better yesterday with 24, got to 50. So far 26 today.

Not sure I'm ready for the holidays...or should I say snow season, ugh.  Have made use of my down coat lately!

• Like 4

• Members

A NEW DAY..............

1)  Cancelled my upcoming back surgery. My sciatica hasn't been hurting much over the last 5-6 weeks. More importantly, my son Ross feels more relieved that he won't have to be a home alone with my uncle (who's going to be 95 in January). To sum it all up...........now is not the right time for my surgery.

2) Ross got the inspiration to hang up some lights and garland in front of our house. I wasn't much in the mood, but I worked with him and we got what we wanted put up in an hour.  It actually felt good putting up the stuff in the cooler weather (50's).

3) Maybe no surgery, but no excuse not to try to start losing some weight (kinda helps out the back a little). Ate a lighter lunch and went for a short walk. It's a start..........

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

Yes it is, good for you!  Wish you all the luck with losing weight, getting yourself in shape and not having surgery!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

We had our church potluck yesterday, I'd spent two hours making Keto Raviolis, the cheese slices were stuck hard to each other, I had to cut them apart, no easy feat.  The papers inbetween were maybe 1/3 in, that's it.  Finally got it done and cleaned up, took them to church with a note on it to heat to lukewarm in microwave, DO NOT OVERHEAT!  The Deaconess that did it literally sizzled them to death. I was swo upset! I asked her if she read the instructions I'd put on them and she said she didn't have her glasses.  Never bringing anything like that again.  Never!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2