Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Rey Dominguez Jr

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
1 hour ago, RichS said:

I think that novelists write these books because people buy them; and people buy them because it represents an escape (or fantasy) from the pains of the real world. There are different forms of entertainment or amusement that people flock to. This is one of them.

hunh, writer's guild is still on strike in Hollywood, I think.  Maybe some writer who has lost a beloved partner will write something ... "contemplation" seems to be the "plan," insofar as "that Revealed book by Michael Tymn" indicates ... here we are, 3/4 of the way through 2023, with the internet, with sites like this one for inspiration, this is a new age of instant  information, India has landed on the moon's south pole, some great writer presently unoccupied? ... write a novel about loss and don't end it with "boy meets girl?"  

There ARE other reasons, good reasons, to write, that don't necessarily involve money making.  Look at all of US, typing away!  Not for money making!  Because we're communicating something about "reality," something about "emotions," something about "who are we?"  Communicating with each other.  In this new way, not face to face, but across huge distances we're meeting in, compared to all the ages before ours, a new way.    

• Like 2

• Members
6 minutes ago, Nancy2 said:

For a minute I felt like that was a sign from him, that he brought the hummingbird and new flowers to me,

That's supposed to be one of the signs.  I had gone out on our front deck to smoke a few drags on a cig (yeah of course I know not healthy) after having a bad crying episode, and a hummingbird came zipping over, hung there about 3 feet in front of my face and just hovered there for many seconds.  That I took as a sign.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
5 hours ago, Boggled said:

Gator, we're all kind of "leftover people" now, right?  I looked up books about widows on our library's webpage and read a few ... BUT as someone mentioned, in novels, "suddenly some great stranger falls in love with her and everything's just great again,"  even novels seem to follow the same ol' same ol' "boy meets girl" theme.   As if there ain't no other answer.   C'MON, novelists!  aren't there any novelists out there who can write a book about some other way to "succeed?"  Anybody reading this, can you recommend any good novel about a widow or widower who finds a true path to happiness without meeting a new partner?????   

One of the books I remember liking is The phone box at the edge of the world. It's a lovely story based on a real phone box - the wind phone. Whilst one of the characters I recall found love, there were different stories, different losses. I dont keep many novels but I've kept this one. I think I must reread it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
6 hours ago, Boggled said:

Afterlife should not be a separate topic, IMHO!!!!!   

@Boggled@widower2 I agree that there is no call to move these conversations. This topic is "This and That" and to me that means anything can go here. Just MHO. Every topic I've read since being here goes off course just through following a continued conversation. I admit it becomes distracting from the original topic but it happens. I find it troubling too when it has happened under my own posts but I've learned to accept that this the normal flow of a continuous conversation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

On 9/10/2023 at 2:59 PM, WithoutHer said:

@Boggled@widower2 I agree that there is no call to move these conversations. This topic is "This and That" and to me that means anything can go here. 

That's not this thread's intent. From the OP:  
*** I made this thread for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere***

My bold-facing for emphasis. Extended religious discussion and comments fit elsewhere, as already pointed out. People can't say whatever they want in the thread, or anywhere else on the site for that matter. As with most any other site on the internet, there are some limits and there are some rules for all. Of course, like most things, it's a question of degree, and I try to err on the side of caution, but we all must keep in mind that the reason there is a distinct place for such discussion on the site is that people on this site have many varying beliefs, so going on and on about an afterlife or God etc within general threads can make others feel somewhat uncomfortable. Or to put it another way: how would those of you with strong beliefs about the existence of an afterlife/God/etc feel about an atheist coming on one of these threads and going on and on about their beliefs? See what I mean? "Agree to disagree" sounds OK in theory, but the reality is that religion is just too much of a hot potato and it's far too easy for people's feathers to get ruffled and cat fights to start.

So again, please, it's one thing to make a quick passing comment as part of a thread, but if it goes on and on, I will take whatever action I feel appropriate (and take zero pleasure in it, believe me, since I know it can set me up as "the bad guy" and regret if it puts anyone off in any way). And again, you are free to discuss your beliefs to your heart's content...just please do so in the area of the site dedicated to that. Thanks!

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Gator M said:

I welcome others talking about their beliefs or lack there of.  

That's great, but others may not feel similarly. Again it's just a very sensitive topic. 

Where do you draw the line?  Do meat eaters offend vegans?

I would say religion and politics, basically. This is not exactly an uncommon restriction on many sites and for the same reasons (too easily incites bickering etc).

• Like 1

• Moderators

Exactly, thanks Kay. Again just trying to take everyone into account here. Some of us might be fine agreeing to disagree, but it might be harder for others and we need to maximize the comfort zone for all.

Appreciate the feedback, all. FYI I asked the Admins for an umpire call on this. :) Please stand by!

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 8/20/2023 at 6:13 AM, RichS said:

My dad had Alzheimer’s and dementia for a number of years. Even though he and I didn’t have the closest relationship, I saw the different person he became as it slowly took over his mind.

I went through this with my mom, closest sister (I was her caregiver)...with my mom she reached the point where we had to sell her home and put her in a dementia care facility, which ate up all her $ except for $2,000 for burial).  Recently my uncles and my aunt also died of this horrific condition.  It's the hardest thing in the world to watch, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  We basically have to enter their world.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Members
On 9/10/2023 at 8:13 AM, Boggled said:

BUT as someone mentioned, in novels, "suddenly some great stranger falls in love with her and everything's just great again,"  even novels seem to follow the same ol' same ol' "boy meets girl" theme.   As if there ain't no other answer.   C'MON, novelists!  aren't there any novelists out there who can write a book about some other way to "succeed?"  Anybody reading this, can you recommend any good novel about a widow or widower who finds a true path to happiness without meeting a new partner?????   

That is a good question and I often wonder whether the majority of us grievers live with the notion that the only real way out of painful grief is to find another person. Even all of those many TED Talks that I've watched seem to be by those who have suffered and survived terrible tragedy and grief but who now have new partners. Nothing wrong about that but there is a small hope inside of me that sorta does a deep dive when they reveal their new life...as if that is why they seem so much stronger now.

Yesterday, as I drove along a familiar street where Tom and I had done our walks together, I tried to picture myself with someone new walking beside me and my tears started to fall so that tells me that getting involved with someone new would only complicate things. Perhaps that may change down the road but I'm kinda stuck with this. I think conversing with other grievers is likely one of the best coping techniques. Leaning on those who need someone to lean onto too. Companions in grief. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Given how many depressing/dark movies Hollywood has kicked out, I suspect it's something else, like they just don't have a clue. 

• Like 2

• Members

For better or worse, movies, TV shows and pop music often reflect the social trends and the mood the country is currently feeling.

• Like 2

• Members

I saw Indiana Jones 5...!

I always appreciate those films: they are funny, ironic, screenplays that don't miss a beat...and Harrison Ford at his best! I always enjoy those movies...even this last one with him in his '80!

They make me laugh...and it is a great moment!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

After watching the eight seasons of the old television series Monk over this past year, I was surprised at how well they presented the topic of Adrian Monk's (the central character) grief over his wife's death. It was a recurring theme throughout the show's episodes and was rarely mocked. The other main characters respected and honoured his grief which I found comforting. I enjoyed the series when it was on originally but hadn't seen it in years after it went into syndication. It was like a miracle for me that it began airing daily on Canada's Vision TV a few months after the loss of my partner. I found a warm connection to the main character...despite his annoying OCD tendencies...and wept along with him in the more tender moments of his loss. Unfortunately, the station removed it from its new programming season so I no longer have this to look forward to....but it was helpful to me.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

On another note, we're going to be near 90s all week then drop to 60s, crazy!  Glad I didn't put my A/C away!

• Hugs 1

• Members
54 minutes ago, KayC said:

On another note, we're going to be near 90s all week then drop to 60s, crazy!  Glad I didn't put my A/C away!

high 50's thurs and fri night in n.c. yeah!!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm more than a little hesitant to "go there" again, but given it came up multiple times in this thread:

Perhaps it would be more logical to start a thread on the topic of religion/afterlife within the loss of spouse/partner section. That way, people can participate freely on that subject matter without fear of being shut down. Anyone who is easily offended by the subject, need not enter the thread.

Kay has done this and pinned it to the top of this section of the site FYI to anyone who didn't see it. Please keep religious comments and discussion there. Thanks! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, shawnt said:

Here is my 2 cents.

I think some people's faith is so ingrained in them that every thought and expression has it in it. I think taking that voice away from them, here of all places is wrong. To silence them denies the essence of this space.

Let's not nit pick, let's just listen.

If it ever devolves to preaching or arguing then shut it down, but I have never seen that here.

This isn't nit picking, nobody is trying to take anything away from anyone or silence them, and this isn't just about preaching or arguing. As I've said before, this is about being mindful and considerate of everyone on the site and varying beliefs. The essence of this Partner space is grief from losing a partner, not religious or spiritual beliefs. There is an entire section of the site devoted to that, and now there is a thread in this partner area dedicated to that.

1 hour ago, Gator M said:

Who is THEY?

The people who own this site. As I've also said before, that is why they created the Spiritual/Religious section of the site in the first place.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Gator M said:

And no one goes there.   Most of us post to either mourn or help.  

I can't force people to go somewhere. If they choose not to, that's their choice. But there is a place to go for such discussion on this site and that's the place.

GriefShare is Bible centered, AA is spiritually centered, Celebrate Recovery...

Good for them. But this isn't GriefShare or AA or Celebrate Recovery, so that is irrelevant.

It has been said many times before, a believer can't separate his/her faith.  It's who we are.

You continue to ignore that not everyone who comes to this site is necessarily a "believer."

There is a lot of stuff posted that I disagree with.  I CHOOSE not to get offended.  I live in the world, I am not OF the world.  

And? This isn't about you. Or me. Or any one person. 

I'll say this one more time: The site is for ANYONE in mourning, not just people with spiritual/religious beliefs. The intent here is to be mindful and take EVERYONE into account. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

We are fortunate to have the spirituality thread within loss of spouse section. Don't push your luck or we won't.  This site was started (and paid ford) by the admin here and we need to abide by their wishes or we wont be here.  We haven't had anyone pushing this as much as recently, that is what called attention to it, we can't make non-believers and those of another faith uncomfortable.  And BTW, people exist with OTHER faiths and are free to express them in the spirituality thread, this isn't just about you or any one person here.

• Like 3

• Members

I have to say that I agree with Widower2. Have you noticed there have been less posts lately? I have come to this site at least once a day for almost three years, recently I have been finding it of less help because people are wandering off topic too much. I can ignore it but still I groan and leave. There has been little to relate to for a while. Disappointing. I don't know, but I don't believe this thread was started as a general chat about anything you like, Shawnt was taliking about home and missing his wife!!!

• Like 4

• Moderators

We're sorry, Shawn, I hope you'll start another thread...this one just took a turn we couldn't get away from.  Not fair to you, I know.  But we value your input on this site.