Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• Shinka

• I miss you so much

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
2 minutes ago, Shinka said:

Ck13, are  you sleeping well? I'm asking because in the early stage of my grieving I found I could handle the pain better, if I had slept at least for a few hours. Like you I was never depressed, but it hurt like hell. So I would see to that first. Anti depressants can have a lot of side effects, so they were no option for me. I tried to develop coping skills instead so that I could bare this pain instead of falling apart. 

I’m sleeping but having nightmares (I also have ptsd from a previous abusive marriage so nightmares are part of my “normal” sleep when I’m stressed/upset).

Please can I ask what coping skills you use? Need something to stop me falling apart completely. Thank you

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I took "flowers of Back" at the time. They are sweet and working on your emotions...and most important of all don't have heavy side effects.

I found that helped me to understand and bear the incredible roller coaster of emotions...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
21 minutes ago, Roxeanne said:

I took "flowers of Back" at the time. They are sweet and working on your emotions...and most important of all don't have heavy side effects.

I found that helped me to understand and bear the incredible roller coaster of emotions...

Hi Roxanne, I looked up the flowers of back and I can only come up with Bach flowers remedies. Is this what you were talking about? I also have really bad sleep, sometimes I barely get any sleep. I have tried lots of natural remedies including Melatonin with not great results. Sleeping pills are basically Benadryl and make your heart rate and blood pressure go crazy. My doctor wouldn't prescribe me any medication but he did tell me about the natural remedies. I'll look into it some more and see if it's a good alternative. Thank you and Buona giornata. :) 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I'm sorry Sparky but i don't know if the flowers can help you on sleep problems..

Luckily as i said before, i sleep well always, even in the first times, when i longed for the night to come and forget all my pain....

Flowers IMO working very well with the emotions...and surely are far better that antidepressant....unless you're really depressed!

I think your doctor will give you some good advice on natural remedies.

Ciao buona giornata a te

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I take antianxiety Rx because I have always had GAD, and a sleep aid after YEARS of no sleep!  No antidepressants as I'm not depressed.

Grief can mimic depression and there's different schools of thought on it.  Caution about SSRIs but if one has a chemical imbalance, the doctor might recommend one.
Depression vs symtomatic depression in grief

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Gator M said:

Depression is a medical condition 

By who? Forrest Gump? Good grief I hope not a doctor.

Anything someone feels is an "emotional condition," it's a question of why and in what way. Depression can be a medical condition if it's chronic, but one can be depressed by situations in life and that is not a "medical condition," that's life. Based on that logic, all emotions are a "medical condition" and we should just drug ourselves up to feel however we want to feel all the time. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Gator M said:

Depression is a medical condition and grief is an emotional condition...or so I'm told.

Yes, as psyche terms go this is correct.  However, that said, grief definitely brings on depression regardless of terms or causation and one can benefit from help with it, even if different from the help for a physical condition causing it.

7 hours ago, Shinka said:

So to me that's the difference between depression and grieving.

Did you read the articles I posted on it earlier?

15 hours ago, KayC said:

I take antianxiety Rx because I have always had GAD, and a sleep aid after YEARS of no sleep!  No antidepressants as I'm not depressed.

Grief can mimic depression and there's different schools of thought on it.  Caution about SSRIs but if one has a chemical imbalance, the doctor might recommend one.
Depression vs symtomatic depression in grief

• Like 3

• Moderators

We had some of the worst doctors imaginable despite going to some of the most highly-regarded places in the world. Of course there is good and bad anywhere, but anyone who tells me our medical profession isn't a walking talking horror film in general I would dismiss as utterly clueless.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Shinka said:

KayC :Did you read the articles I posted on it earlier?

I read the 'depression versus symptomatic depression' article, why? 

I'm not sure what your question is.  

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

I'm not sure what your question is.  

You asked me if I had read the articles, and I wondered why you asked. 

• Moderators

You so don't want me to get on this soapbox...I could fill a book with things at least some of which I suspect people wouldn't even believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

We've been known to mention this in our diabetic group.  It's all about $.  Like the statins...the "study" was funded by the pharmaceutical that skewed the studies and convinced the doctors...don't even get me started.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
7 hours ago, KayC said:

We've been known to mention this in our diabetic group.  It's all about $.  Like the statins...the "study" was funded by the pharmaceutical that skewed the studies and convinced the doctors...don't even get me started.

Yep, that's my soapbox. I've had high levels of cholesterol for all of my adult life, and doctors keep wanting me to take statins. When I mention the complete non- existence of other riskfactors and the Framingham heart study they look at me as if I'm suicidal or something. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Hold your ground, it's Triglycerides and HDL that matter and if eating low carb and getting exercise, they will be good.  Total carbs and LDL are not as concerning, our body makes cholesterol, all the more as we age, but that is not the risk factor they are making out.  I could post videos from GOOD doctors who have studied and know the subject!  Dr David Diamond comes to mind, Dr Paul Mason, Dr Ken Berry, Dr Robert Cywes, Dr Jason Fung, Dr Eric Berg, so many more!

Stick to your guns with your doctors.  It's our bodies, our life, I would stake my life on Keto, I have seen the benefits and they are amazing!  I'm gladly on it for life and love this way of life.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Sorry, I take statins, and they've helped a lot. It's not snake oil. 

And as bad as the medical profession can be, not every doctor is horrible and not every medication is worthless, let's not go too far down that road. I'm quite happy with my GP (she wouldn't be my GP otherwise). 

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, widower2 said:

not every doctor is horrible and not every medication is worthless

Of course not, I would not infer that. I am saying 11 years I had Diabetes and both of mine never gave me info or suggestions.  Look up and watch some of the videos of the doctors I suggested, it's an eye opener. ;) Bottom line it's Triglycerides and HDL that factor in heavily for cardiovascular.  This is what I do everyday, Widower2, look up studies, research, and watch videos from doctors, post to my diabetic groups.  We have 7,200 members internationally.  This is a huge passion of mine. Do with it what you will.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Sure, that wasn't a reply to you specifically, just a general observation. :)  

• Like 2

• Members

I think the most important thing is that one educates oneself on whatever health problems one has. Doctors sometimes give good advice and sometimes they don't. The more we know, the better to make a sound decision on what therapy to use. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Shinka said:

I think the most important thing is that one educates oneself on whatever health problems one has. Doctors sometimes give good advice and sometimes they don't. The more we know, the better to make a sound decision on what therapy to use. 

Sounds right on to me!

12 minutes ago, Sparky1 said:

doctors should learn from all the experience they have, not from just what they are taught.

• Like 2

• Moderators

And I might add, it was a doctor that caused my husband's death, indirectly. When he had his first heart attack, the doctor didn't pay attention to George's family history OR complaints, and totally missed that he'd had a heart attack that had severely damaged his heart, he had five blocked arteries, he never referred him to a cardiologist, and by the time he had his next heart attack that landed him in the hospital only to die of a third one two days later, it was too late.

How many of us have similar stories to share! :(  I might add, this was a doctor I knew and loved, I used to work for him, but OMG did I learn his weak areas through this!  So much so, after George died I made an appt. with him to gain his audience, and extracted a promise from him that what happened to him and to a friend's husband the same month, would never again happen to anyone else on his watch.  You see, I wasn't interested in suing, I was interested in his LEARNING from his mistakes.  They were costly to me and the other widow.

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

PS by that I mean I hope it doesn't happen for a long time. Despite the drawbacks in my life, I've no desire to exit in the immediate future. :)  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Feelings can change throughout our journey, you're three months into this...I don't blame you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Bingo Kay...I was ready to check out early in this journey and frankly might have if my parents weren't alive and I didn't have the dog depending on me. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
I miss you so much
On 4/14/2023 at 7:06 AM, Shinka said:

There was a moment early in my grief journey when I was overcome by so much desperation and a complete and utter feeling of hopelessness, that I didn't want to live anymore. And although I had worked with clinically depressed people all my life, it was the first time I truly understood what they were going through. It's not 'simply' sadness or emotional pain, it's a big giant black hole, where one feels no purpose, no inspiration, no nothing. I made an oath there and then that instead of ending it, I would use whatever time was left for me in this body to try and put something good into the world. Even if I had to bear this pain for the rest of my life, life is still a previous gift and there is always something we can do even if it's in the smallest way. It's the intention that counts. And so I stayed alive and went on with my to do lists. I've never had this much desperation ever since. Lots of pain though. So to me that's the difference between depression and grieving. 

Very inspiring, thanks so much

• Like 2

• Members
I miss you so much

In my opinion, it's a personal choice.

As for me, they won't bring him back. And if I have to be on drugs to support life, better be dead.

On 4/14/2023 at 7:06 AM, Shinka said:

There was a moment early in my grief journey when I was overcome by so much desperation and a complete and utter feeling of hopelessness, that I didn't want to live anymore. And although I had worked with clinically depressed people all my life, it was the first time I truly understood what they were going through. It's not 'simply' sadness or emotional pain, it's a big giant black hole, where one feels no purpose, no inspiration, no nothing. I made an oath there and then that instead of ending it, I would use whatever time was left for me in this body to try and put something good into the world. Even if I had to bear this pain for the rest of my life, life is still a previous gift and there is always something we can do even if it's in the smallest way. It's the intention that counts. And so I stayed alive and went on with my to do lists. I've never had this much desperation ever since. Lots of pain though. So to me that's the difference between depression and grieving. 

I prefer something that Shinka has wonderfully expressed in this post.

That is, try to spend the time I have left doing something for others, in his memory. And I think it's helpful than drugs.

I also have PTSD, and it's very hard, but I've decided I'll search for my inner power and find a way.

However, I know that I'm very vulnerable. And I have problems to protect myself and defend myself from others, but drugs won't help me for that, neither.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
On 4/27/2023 at 10:21 PM, Bruce A said:

No antidepressant is going to make you feel less pain.

I respectfully disagree. It absolutely could. In fact that's their whole point. No guarantees obviously but they can and have helped others and it could be worth at least investigating. 

• Like 2