Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A Little Nervous

foreverhis

• Members
foreverhis

Happy Thursday everyone.  Today was the first day in weeks that we had sun  and we even had it all day.  We usually have a nice spring before "June gloom" on the coast.  Not this year.  We went right from torrential rains to damp marine layer (with or without wind).

My Cosi girl has grown so much in the past 3 months.  I learned that Bengals and Bengal mixes aren't full grown until at least 18 months (she'll be 18 months in July) and usually continue a bit of growth up until 2 years.  She had gotten up to 11.4 lb, nearly 2 lb too heavy for the size she was, but now the vet says a good weight for her is between 10 and 10.2 lb with a little "wiggle" room.  I have had her on a strict diet routine based on calories for her age, size, activity, and that she's spayed.  It can be reduced up to 25%, but I went with 15% because she's very food motivated and extremely active most days.  She's down to 11 lb over 8 weeks, which is fine.  She gets the absolute best quality food (yay for Grocery Outlet) in measured portions--and she knows exactly when it's meal or snack time.

Her looks are fully Bengal now with back legs significantly longer than front legs (unlike most domestic breeds who have equal legs front and back), thick and incredibly soft pelt-like coat, very distinct paw "knuckles," wide and rounded ears, large primordial abdominal pouch, head seeming a little small for body size, and of course, the color and markings of the black-brown tabby-pattern Bengal line.  Another thing I learned is that Bengals have very dense (heavy) bones and muscles, which is why the vet said there's a little wiggle room in her weight and I should go by the body condition charts as well.  And oh yeah, she's got the attitude!  She is strong and confident and stubborn and smart.  She's in charge and don't dare tell her otherwise!

She's very creative in her playing.  Our daughter sent her a play cube as a welcome to the family gift.  At first, I had to put it away because she was exploring it with her mouth too much.  Several weeks ago, I tried again and she is loving it.  It's got openings on three sides.  She loves to have one on top, one on the side, and the last one on the bottom.  She can "bloop" in from the top, fly in from the side, and uses the bottom one to use her front legs to hunt blindly for her mousies, which she puts around the outside edges.  It's hysterical and looks like a cartoon while she does it.  I laugh and laugh and join in the play times with her. I'm waiting for replacement parts for the cool cat trees I ordered because there was shipping damage on the originals.  Can't wait to see how she reacts to having climbing structures and not just the recliners for height.

We're still working on some behaviors, specifically the Bengal communication bite.  I had to switch my "disciplinary tactics" because the single clap with firm "no" was scaring her.  I now use the "hiss and ignore," which is what mama cats do.  Small hiss, turn my back, and walk away for a few minutes.  She's also learned the words, "no biting" when I can see her "thinking" about it and she's pulled back, changing tactics, several times.  We'll get there.  We've only had one instance in the past week.

She's got a lot of trauma to get over being abandoned and then being in the shelter.  Plus thanks to her previous owners I had to spend 3 months convincing her that I was not going to spray her in the face every time I picked up any sort of spray bottle and that raising my arm to block her from jumping on the counter didn't mean I was going to hit her.  It hurts my heart knowing she wasn't treated right as a kitten through her first 10 months, then 2 months total in shelters where they treated her like a queen, but where she was overwhelmed and confused.  There are also things about which she is very confident.  She knows she's home, she knows she's loved, she knows that she has friends, and she knows that even when I am frustrated with her, I love her.  She's gotten quite bold in the mornings with the early sunrise, but she's not rude.  She still cuddles and snugs next to me, but wants to get going on the day.  That's fine because she's also got me going upstairs and settling down earlier.  It works out.

Here are some recent pictures.  You can see how she's grown and how engaged she is with life.

Cosi cuddle me3.jpeg

Cosi feed me.jpeg

Cosi reaching.jpeg

Cosi ribbon3.jpeg

Cosi stretch.jpeg

Cosi toys.jpeg

• Like 2

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foreverhis

• KayC

• Gail 8588

• Roxeanne

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
foreverhis

And here are a few more pictures because...just because.

Cosi nap time.jpeg

Cosi which mousie.jpeg

Cosi stair pose.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis

Kay, what a relief to know that Kodie is recovering and playing again. It’s always such a stressful thing when our companions have to go through surgeries or medical treatments. They can’t “tell” us in words how they feel, so we have to rely on symptoms and behaviors. Playing with a new toy is a huge step forward (even if Kodie is fighting having to wear “the cone”).

Fun side note. I now know three dogs with the same name, but different spellings: Kodie, Kody, and Cody. (The other two are a mini Aussie and some sort of Sheltie mix.) 😅

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

He hasn't fought me at all on putting the cone on, he's been an amazing trooper! But I know how he feels about it, it's very limiting. He keeps running into my legs with it! I'll be glad when it's off. One more week of this...

How funny! The vet spelled his name wrong in all of his records. I've corrected them several times, I hope I don't have to fight this the rest of his life! 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis
2 hours ago, KayC said:

He hasn't fought me at all on putting the cone on, he's been an amazing trooper!

Oh that's good to hear.  It kind of sounded as if he was working it off or at least, trying to. 

It's funny how you talk about him having to find just the right spot to do his business.  Raleigh is like that.  She'll sniff out a spot I know is a "favorite," but then continue on and I'll ask, "Not feeling that one today? Okay, let's keep going."  There are definitely days during lousy weather when I'll say, "Just poo already so we can go back for play time and treats."  And she's the only female dog I've ever known who does the sniff--bit of pee to mark territory--move on.  Her peeing "style" is unusual to say the least.  She sometimes does the girl squat, but just as often does a half squat-half leg raise, curled partial squat, or full on leg raise like a boy.  Her parents surmise that the rest of her litter or other dogs she might have lived with her first 2 years were all boys so she never learned that girls are "supposed to" pee in the low squat all at once. 

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

She sounds just like a male dog! Kodie can pee 1/2 tsp. on every spot on the street, I swear!

He got his cone off first night but hasn't since. He's accepted it really well, I'm amazed, it's like he thinks it's just something he has to do now.  But then he continually amazes me, how well behaved he is (except the pulling) and how he minds. He's come off his leash 2-3 times this week and just waits for me to hook him back up!  Arlie would have been gone in a flash! Skye (first granddoggy that lived with me 3 1/2 years) would have been mugshot and paw printed in the next county, seriously!  Kodie likes dragging me through bushes and briars.  Today he didn't do too bad, I'm amazed.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis
2 minutes ago, KayC said:

Kodie can pee 1/2 tsp. on every spot on the street, I swear!

Yes!  By the time we're close to the end of our walk when she's stopped for the 40th time, I'll say, "You really think you have any pee left?"  Sure enough, she'll squeeze out one little drop before looking at me like, "Okay, let's go." 

The first time I walked her and she started in on the routine, I was stunned.  I've never seen a female do that ever.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
foreverhis

Gail, she's a beauty.  And yes, I can see her whole face and ears.😉

• Like 2

• Members
12 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

She is an attentive  companion, very affectionate, for a cat. 

Bellissima Gail! 

It's a gift you have her by your side, they love us in their special way😸

• Like 4

• Members

I finally managed to capture Cosi playing "Blind Cat and the Three Mice."  She's added yet another layer to playing with her cube:  Solid side on top; I put a mousie on it; Cosi "bops" it to make it fly; I retrieve; repeat.

Kay, I'm so glad you have Kodie.  What a treasure.

Cosi blind mice (2).jpg

• Haha 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I can't quite tell what the picture is, a toy, not sure what she does with it. Kodie is loving the "bear" toy I got him, it squeaks, he isn't able to make it squeak but loves when I stomp on it and it does!

• Haha 2

• Members

Kay, that’s her tan mousie with her paw reaching from underneath the cube to “search” for it. Her head and body are inside the cube.  When she feels a mousie, she grabs it and then swoops it under and into the cube with her. Once inside, she attacks it with vigor before bopping it out one of the openings to go on the hunt again. The cube is a ripstop nylon on a wire frame. It’s lightweight so she can literally roll around the room in it.

That is so funny how Kodie has figured out how to make his bear squeak. They’re so resourceful in thinking things through.

• Like 2

• Moderators

He can't make it squeak, he's too lightweight (unless you call him getting ME to do it)! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

He can't make it squeak, he's too lightweight (unless you call him getting ME to do it)! :D

Well, exactly. He figured out that when you stomp on it, it squeaks. Therefore, if he can convince you to do it, he wins (so to speak).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Members

Just for fun, a few pictures of Cosi using her play cube to give everyone a better idea of how it works.  I bought a "back up" ($10) to have on hand for the day when she ultimately kills this one.

Cosi cube1.jpeg

Cosi cube2.jpeg

Cosi cube3.jpeg

• Like 3

• Moderators

Now I can tell what you mean by "cube!!  She is cute and fun!

• Like 2

• Members

Her play cube has been a Godsend (well, technically a daughtersend, but still...).  She's really smart, very active, and needs her brain engaged.  Watching her puzzle out different ways to play with it, add her mousies, toss her leather butterfly chew toy inside, roll around the floor with it, etc. has been fun for both of us.  I think it's really helped her settle into the "yes" and "no" activities that I've been teaching her, like "no" to scratching the furniture, but "yes" to scratching her post, special rug, and floor scratcher.  She's not bored, so she doesn't act out as much.  And she's so darn entertaining!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I love your posts about Cosi, I come here like dessert after dinner! I wish I'd had a cube for my cats!   Wish I knew if Panther would play with one. He chooses to use my wood patio and ramp posts to scratch his claws on instead of the cat scratchers I have on the patio. Hoping this place outlasts him, he's drooling so I know he's old but not sure how old, he's still active.  Have gotten him to lose a bit of weight, but he's still pretty darn big!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

He has totally taken over the place! I won't let him inside though, he's a night owl and I can imagine the damage he'd do!  I can tell from how he treats the outside. But he sure loves it here!

• Like 1

• Moderators

She is so beautiful!  Panther also lost weight this winter but I'd still estimate him around 20 lbs.  My others were 7-9 lbs.  King George a little more.  

• Like 1

• Members

Yikes, Kay, that’s a big cat! A friend had a Maine Coon mix who topped out at 23 lb! An absolute sweetheart, but quite a lot of cat.

Cosi really is a beauty. Smart, feisty, stubborn, silly, and loving. She makes her desires known. She’s taken to waking me around 5:30 or 6 by playing with my hair and bathing my forehead. She knows if I wake up, my bladder will chime in with its needs. Then I bring her a tiny kibble snack to tide her over. She will go potty, have her mini snack, and come back to bed, kissing my free arm before snuggling back down on John’s pillow so we can finish our sleep and get up between 7:30 and 8:30, depending on the day.

Seeing her cuddled up next to me so content makes it all worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
15 hours ago, foreverhis said:

She's enriched my life immeasurably and I like to think I'm giving her the best life she could possibly imagine.

Looks like you're doing it!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

foreverhis, your post with the "before" and "after" photos from Jan. 2 actually made me laugh out loud.  What a difference in expression!  still laughing.

oh, and your cat tree looks really wonderful.   

• Like 3

• Members
foreverhis
4 hours ago, Boggled said:

What a difference in expression!  still laughing.

Definitely! She was waifish and not full grown at a year. Even after more than a month at the excellent shelter, she was underweight with a very soft, but kind of thin coat.

Until she met me and decided, “Mine!” she had been a bit confused and reticent, hiding in her blanket nest, overlooked and rather overwhelmed. Who can blame her? She’d clearly been somewhat neglected and then left behind with the garbage by those horrible renters.

It took 2 months, plus me going on a long-planned 4 day trip and actually returning, for her to fully understand that she was home forever. It took at least that long for her to understand that I would never physically “punish” her.

Now she knows she is in charge, secure in her cat self. She has friends and her chosen inner circle pride. She’s mostly outgoing except for meeting new men.  She adores Raleigh’s dad though.

As a Bengal or Bengal mix, she didn’t stop growing until she was more than 18 months old. Her coat is thick, longer, and so fine and soft. Her muscles are strong and developed. She’s got long back legs and a long, sturdy body. And she most definitely has the attitude to match!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I love what you've done for Cosi!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
5 hours ago, foreverhis said:

She was waifish and not full grown at a year.

I can see that in your "before" photo, along with anxiety!  ...  And then in the "after" photo, a VERY "secure," contented, slightly bored, no-anxiety being!   😄

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2