Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A Little Nervous

foreverhis

• Members
9 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

I love her colours, she definitely is a beauty. I guess your waiting paid off and I am so glad for you. Reminds me of my dog when she's sleeping, no cares in the world and looks angelic just lying there.

She is absolutely stunning, IMO.  Her fur is so very, very soft and unlike some/most cats, she loves having her chest lightly stroked.  She's incredibly loving and we've bonded already.

We're having a bit of a tough day because last night was so difficult with the weather, no power, cold in the house all day (power back on around 3), and the transition to the big bedroom.  She was very quiet and tired today, but that's not unexpected even when a pet is doing well with becoming part of a new family.  But she hadn't eaten any kibble since last night or pooed since yesterday.  I couldn't tell if she'd had any water, but she hadn't peed since morning.  Hm...A little wet food.  Chomp-chomp.  And 10 minutes later, a big poo.  Yay!  Relief all around.  I don't think she likes her kibble and water dishes where I had them, up high on an oak filing cabinet, so I moved them onto a placemat on the floor for now.  Ants are a problem around here, so the floor is not good long term, but we'll figure it out.  I went downstairs and 2 minutes later, I heard her flinging her plastic bell-in-a-ball around like a maniac.  I got it as part of her adoption bundle and that type of toy was always our Penny's favorite, so I breathed a sigh of relief, went back upstairs, and we played together.  I texted a friend who rightly texted back, "Okay, calm down.  She can sense your tension.  You're both going to be fine."  I replied that I knew that inside, but needed to hear it from a fellow cat mom friend.

It's an adventure that I hope lasts for the rest of her life (and probably mine).  She's a real treasure.

Here's one final "new cat mom" picture from today.  She loves her cozy bed.  It's by the big front window, so she can watch the world, and it's super soft and comfy  Raleigh's mom suggested it because all three of their girls (two are cats) have them and I've watched them snuggle in all warm and relaxed.  I'm going to have to get a second for the living room by the sofa, I think.

Cosi's new bed.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foreverhis

• KayC

• Gail 8588

• Roxeanne

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Annie, I am so glad you have her!  Such a treasure to weather this storm with, we went through three power outages in a 24 hour period, one lasting hours, couldn't get my generlink to work, got a chewing out from my neighbor for that, as if I need his input!  Can hook up generator to refrigerator and freezer in outdoor building.  (May need another neighbor to show me how they hooked up the freezer last time.)  Anyway, I don't run it if just a few hours because it's fine if I don't open the door, but had to eat a late dinner because of it.

We too have the howling winds and torrential rain, will be windy again today (have had tons of branches come down on my place and all up/down the road)...it appears I'm the only one picking up branches out of the road!  Rains will continue all week, that's okay as long as it's not the white stuff!  I cannot shovel right now with my healing burn...loss of strength, pain, and numbness makes it challenging as well.

It looks as if your little friend is entirely cozy and all settled in!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Hi everyone.  Well, Miss Cosi is settling in--mostly.  She's getting really antsy in the big upstairs bedroom, knowing there's a "world" outside the door that is where I spend time.  I'm working on making a barrier so she can't get behind the unitized washer-dryer.  It's the only kind we can have in the space and there's just enough room that the little curious one could jump down behind it, slither behind a cabinet, and get well and truly stuck--and filthy.  I think I've figured out how to use a couple of leftover cut slats of plywood, paint them white to "match" the washer, and bracket them into place with the ability to unbracket the top and upper side so I can have access for cleaning, etc.

Other than that, the downstairs is ready for her.  I did go splurge on a second of the comfy beds so she can have one on the sofa next to me.  She's starting to be really playful late afternoon-early evening, so I broke out the rest of the toys friends have given her.  One is absolutely hysterical:  A stuffed catnip "fish taco."  There's a whole silver fish in the taco with Xs over the eyes and everything.

One touching thing has to do with a hanging scratch pad a dear friend gave her that had belonged to her sweet girl she lost at 16 last year.  She was one of my cat friends and I was really honored when her mom brought over several of her favorite things to share.  My friend is in her later 70s and has decided not to adopt again, but rather to be the "fun auntie" to Cosi.  Works for me.  Anyway, she told me that her girl hated the hanging pad when it was actually hanging on the door, but loved it when she put it flat on the floor.  So I hung it on the closet door and showed it to Cosi.  She looked at me like, "Nah, that looks dumb."  I shrugged and put it on the floor.  Pounce!  Scratch!  Good mom!  I texted my friend to tell her and said I could practically hear the spirit of her sweetie whispering to Cosi, "Tell your human to put it on the floor.  It's really fun that way!"  We both teared up just a little when she said, "Wonderful.  My girl lives on."  Yeah, I like to think so.

Because Cosi is young, we are having some learning experiences.  When she gets overly excited or over stimulated, she's young enough and was without a home long enough that she doesn't always know what to do.  Last night, she reached over and lightly nipped my wrist--very close to where I got bitten by the (not aggressive, but jealous) shelter cat 2 weeks ago.  Sigh.  Of course, she wasn't being aggressive, but one tooth broke the skin a tiny bit.  First, I gave her the stern, but not yelling, "Cosi, no!  We do not bite." and pulled back from her.  Then I washed it, put on a bandage with ointment, just in case, and went back in to talk to and comfort her.  I already "broke" her of love biting my knuckles as so many cats do. It only took 2 days of consistent pulling my hand back with a quick, "Cosi, no biting."  I know she's still figuring out her new life, home, and family, so I will be patient and give her both time and consistent followup.

On the whole, her behavior is very good, especially considering she was abandoned and then spent several weeks in the shelter.  Even though it's a really great shelter, it's not a home with a family who will never leave her.  Once she's acclimated and understands that the upstairs bedroom is her safe space (plus getting the washer-dryer issue resolved), I will let her have the run of the house, except that second bedroom and the walk in closet.  I think that will help her settle into our new life.

She is very loving and adores having her head and chin rubbed.  She also has a need to be touching me when we're on the bed together.  Not on me, but next to or near with one or more legs stretched out on some part of me.  She purrs and kneads and is clearly relaxing into feeling safe, bit by bit.  Here's her morning greeting as I opened the shades today.

Cosi good morning.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@foreverhis I have been reading about the storms coming into California this week. Wind, rain, snow all in extreme amounts.  

You and Cosi stay safe and warm.

Gail

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I enjoy reading about your day to day time with Cosi, both of you learning as you go...am enjoying it!  My situation with a feral cat is very different and yet these little adjustments mean so much also, like his play time with Kodie, through the patio door, through the fence.  One day I may open the gate and let him in with Kodie and see how that goes.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Power is out again all across the area. We have had 4 inches of rain in 16 hours with 2-4 more to come over the next 24.

Flooding, evacuations, car rescues, and so far one child swept away from a stranded car. They are searching, but not hopeful.

Cosi and I are okay so far. I will sign off for now. Could be hours, could be days. Our electrical infrastructure hasn’t been upgraded in many decades—never mind that we live between two power stations. Sigh.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
9 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Thanks for the update.  I have been thinking of you!

Thank you, Gail.  Our total rainfall was 4.13 inches in 22 hours, according to the closest weather element less than 1/2 mile away.  It's a mess out there.

We got power back after a mere 8 hours this time, rather than the 20ish hours like last week. 

We're in a several hour break from the rain now with another front due in a few hours.  This one is forecast to be lighter and less windy, but with thunderstorms.  Cosi and I will snuggle in and keep each other safe.

Here's what she was doing when the lights came on 2 hours ago.  (That's my arm she's lying on.)

Cosi rainy day.jpeg

• Like 2

• Moderators

Oh Annie, that is a LOT of rainfall!  Nowhere for all that water to go!  I've been keeping you and other Californians in prayer, will continue!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Thank you, Kay. It’s bad here, though Cosi and I are okay. Multiple neighboring communities were put on disaster declaration. A couple of them were completely closed and partially evacuated.

Yesterday’s power outage happened because the routing substation flooded. They had to reroute all 13,000 affected households. We were last, of course. We’re always last.

We lost power again this morning. Third time in 5 days.  Supposedly a crew is assessing, but no news, no eta for restoration, no information yet.

I am currently charging my phone off my laptop battery. Better than not being able to charge at all. I will check back in once we have power again.

Love and thanks to everyone.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

We lost power three times in a day just last week...it is so nice to have our animal to go through it with.  The hardest part is not knowing when it'll be back!  Glad you have your laptop battery...can also use charger in car if needing to get a message out.  I posted on FB yesterday to pray for our friends in CA, this is bad, I saw Ellen DeGeneres evacuated on tv, wow, affects everyone, ;doesn't discriminate rich or poor...continuing to pray for you!

• Hugs 1

• Members

@foreverhis  

The videos coming out from California are heartbreaking and scary. So many homes flooded, mudslides in roadways, sinkholes. It's terrible.

Many more days of torrential rain are predicted, though hopefully not in your area.  Looks like the worst rains will be shifting north.

Hang in there. Glad you have Cosi to cuddle with.  Hoping your periods of power outages are short. 

Gail

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Good afternoon, everyone.  Yesterday's power outage was short by comparison.  We got power back after a mere 6 hours, just before dark so that was helpful.

Cosi had a bit of an issue with me yesterday, which was kind of annoying.  She had draped herself across my arm and cuddled in to sleep.  No problem there.  I'm actually getting used to using my right (non-dominant) hand for reading and texting--not great, but better.  After a time, I needed to get up to go to the bathroom, so I moved my arm.  Well, apparently I bumped into a section of her lower abdomen that she does not want touched (at least not now).  She got upset and reached around to nip my arm again.  This time, she scraped one tooth along the surface and broke the skin.  Bleeding, bit of pain.  Rats and sigh.  I told her firmly, "Cosi, no.  We do not bite."  Then I got up, washed it, put on my prescription ointment, bandaged it, and went back into the room to soothe us both. 

Of course, we were both over the emotional issue right away, but I did get a bit concerned that she might have some residual pain from her spaying 3 weeks ago.  I adopted her only one day after she was released from her recovery.  I've had surgeries and know that the incision area and the surgical area can be sensitive for quite some time.  OTOH, she may simply be one of those cats who doesn't like her lower belly touched.  She's great with having her upper chest stroked and even asks for that.  The other thing could be a trauma from her previous owners.  We have no idea how she was treated, but they left her behind with the garbage, so I can't imagine it was great.  It's become clear to me that she has some issues with having the top of her tail touched too much, so perhaps they caused her physical pain and her sense memory is, "Don't hurt me." 

I've set up her complimentary veterinary medical exam with our vet for early next week.  That should put my mind at ease about what's causing her abdominal sensitivity and what I need to do about it, if anything.  Side note:  When I called the vet to register her, the receptionist pulled up our file.  It was under John's name as primary, so once again I had to go through the process of removing his name and changing mine to primary.  It was a small stab to my heart, but nothing like the first 2 years.  I guess that's a little forward progress.

These things will take time and patience to sort out.  She is a very loving, engaged girl without a "mean" bone in her body.  I have all the time needed to help her become truly secure that I will never leave her and to help her feel 100% safe.  She's definitely less upset when I leave the room now, so that's a good start.  Well, that is, she is incredibly curious about where I go in the rest of the house because she can hear me.  As of tomorrow, I should have the boards installed behind the washer-dryer.  Then she'll be able to be downstairs with me (except when Raleigh or another dog is visiting), so her, "Don't go, mom," concerns should really start to ease.

I'm going to ask Raleigh's mom and dad to be her Catparents if something happens to me and will add a codicil to my will with money to take care of her.  I am Dogmother and Catmother to theirs and I know they will love her every bit as much as I do.  Cosi is super friendly with other cats and has not once been bothered by hearing and smelling two different dogs in the house for visits.

Finally for now, my good gracious is this girl getting playful!  She's already been gifted toys and things by my friends who will be her friends.  One of my dear friends gave her this wand toy that's got a long, soft knit rainbow ribbon.  It's not a toy to leave out with her because she could chew through it and swallow some.  Not letting that happen; almost had to put our Penny through surgery after she swallowed a piece of yarn from one of my projects.  Not to get too gross, but the night before surgery was scheduled, she walked over to me and showed me her bum.  Sure enough, her body had finally "pushed" it through and she just needed gentle help to finish the job.  Ick, but no surgery.  Anyway, Cosi knows where I store the ribbon wand in my desk and will run over to the table next to it, hop up, and stare hard at me and then the desk.  She flies down ready to go crazy the second I open the desk and bring it out.  It's hysterical.  She loves all her toys and snuggles into her bed for an afternoon nap every day.  Day by day we are forming our "the two of us" family.  Sometimes it does hurt knowing how much John would have loved her, but mostly my heart is expanding to let her in.  She's really easy to love.

Here we are playing with her ribbon toy.  Pretty cute, if you ask me.

Cosi ribbon.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
6 minutes ago, LostThomas said:

We all try though but the paper is still champ.

Yes indeed!  Every cat I've ever had loved the crumpled paper ball.  They make the perfect crinkly noise, are easy to grasp in a cat mouth, are lightweight, and are easy to bat around.  When they get soggy and/or icky, just toss that one out and make a new one. 

I found one of Penny's ancient ping pong balls in a drawer and brought that in as well.  Cosi thought that was a nice addition to her toy collection.  She actually really does like all five of the toys she has now and plays with all of them  That is unusual, but I'm sure happy she has fun with everything.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw earlier in the week of an Egyptian talking to someone about how they gave their child a pyramid and all they wanted to do was play with the box!  And they showed a picture of a huge pyramid shaped box. :D

I hope you get some answers from the vet and I hope he has protective gloves on when he checks her out!

I used to have a toy Kitty loved, it had a string attached to a tiny round cage with a bell in it. hooked to a string hooked to a coat hanger thing that you moved around and around and she totally loved it!  The cage broke, ending the toy shortly after she died. :(

• Hugs 1

• Members

Well, we all know cats and boxes! Every cat we had would squeeze into any size box. It was pretty funny to see one of them absolutely convinced “I can make this work!” while having parts of their bodies oozing over the sides of some little shoebox or similar. Paper bags too.

When a was setting up the bedroom to transfer her there, I made sure to have a big paper grocery bag open on the floor. So far she’s used it as a goal post mostly. I can practically hear her thinking, “Score!” when she flings her ball at it and it goes in.

It’s entirely possible that she is simply one of those cats who is protective of her “private parts.” A friend’s cat is that way. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Cosi is still sensitive in that area from her surgery. Her fur hasn’t even grown back fully yet. I’m not at all worried about our vets handling her. We’ve known them for a long time and couldn’t ask for more caring, loving doctors for our babies. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Kay, she was an absolute beauty.

I picked up a wine order at our friend's small winery today.  It was multiple club selections because I missed the Christmas party (too cold for me and a bit rainy).  So...they packed it into a case box, even though it wasn't a full case.  What did this cat mom do when she got home?  Put the wine in the storage area, removed the dividers, turned the box on its side, and said, "Go for it, girl."

I went shopping for her today...again.  We kept nothing from our last cat, so it's all from scratch (so to speak and literally).  Good grief there's a lot of "stuff" out there.  I was looking for the basics (grooming brush, hair ball prevention, dental care, etc.), but the walls and walls of "things" were overwhelming.  Do pets really need that much?  For sure ours never have and never will. 

I did buy her a cool cat laser toy that has five lenses with different shapes and it was only $4.  That was a splurge, but worth it because she's already gone nuts over it.  So fun.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

You can have tons of toys and they'll have 1 or 2 favorites.  I gave most of Arlie's bigger toys away when I got Kodie, had to get him little ones...what looks like garbage to most people are his "treasures"...he likes to keep the outside of the stuffed toys he chews up, he literally loves them and puts them in his mouth and closes his eyes and looks like he's in ecstasy!  He loves them so we've saved the scraps and he enjoys them.  His favorite "toy" is a pop bottle that I put treats in, he loves to chase it around on the floor and try to get the treat out!  So 10 cents. :D

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Quick check in. Cosi is in having her first exam with our wonderful vets. She fought me hard getting into the carrying box. Not biting or anything, just trying to get away. I know she’s still not 100% secure that she is finally home forever. She cried the whole 6 minute drive to the clinic. Poor sweetheart.

Overall, she is settling in and as of yesterday has the whole house to explore. I think her previous owners (hmph) punished her for being a cat and doing cat things like exploring, jumping, running on the stairs, etc. because she looks at me like she’s expecting to be yelled at. I comfort and calm her every time.

Okay, just talked to the vet. Cosi is healthy and was really good in the clinic. Our vets are so gentle and patient. Her vet confirmed that some of her behavior like over grooming and scratching is just from the stress of settling in to her new home and not yet feeling fully secure and safe. The trauma she experienced in her first year will take time to get over, exactly as I figured. 

Now to home for her lunch and a nap. Sweet girl.

Here she is holding my hand while she settles into her first short snooze on her downstairs bed yesterday afternoon.

Snug.jpeg

Edited by foreverhis
Adding picture
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Well, the catventures are just beginning!  This morning when we woke up to face the day, I discovered the telltale dried "sesame seed" looking bits of tapeworm.  Dang!  I looked at Cosi and asked, "You couldn't have started showing symptoms yesterday at your complementary vet exam?" 

It's not 100% surprising considering that she came from a shelter and no doubt had fleas at one time in the near past.  Of course she was treated for fleas and ticks while there and she showed no evidence of fleas yesterday.  Coincidentally, it's flea topical day today.  She had a worm preventive the day I adopted her, but tapeworms can be fierce.  I called the vet as soon as they opened, explained, and they got the med ready for me to pick up later in the morning (after my early yoga and a couple of short errands).  Sigh.

I planned to get a pill plunger anyway, so I picked that up, but the vet's clinic also asked about "pill pockets."  I didn't know what those were.  They explained so I got both pockets and plunger.  Darn that Cosi is smart!  I popped the pill into a pocket treat; she licked it, put it in her mouth, figured out what I was doing, and stared me straight in the eye as she spit it out onto the floor.  Okay then, pill plunger--but the pill was a sizeable one and wouldn't stay in.  On to the old-fashioned method.

Now, I should mention that I always gave the dogs pills and John always took care of the cats.  But I remembered the basics.  I wrapped her in a towel, tilted her head back, opened her jaw, and pushed the pill to the back of her tongue.  She was...less than thrilled, but she didn't try to bite or scratch.  I gently rubbed her throat until she swallowed twice.  Then I gave her some of the "tuna topper" that I bought yesterday.  It's like a little bonus to put on their wet food.  She lapped/ate that down easily.

Once I was sure the pill was down, it was on to the flea topical.  I put that on her and took her back to the bedroom, where she will stay for 48 hours.  I gave her love and cuddles--and dried catnip.  I was forgiven.

Of course, the real pain is having to change the bed linens, etc. and vacuum the entire house, including the furniture.  I did the downstairs right away because it's a Raleigh day.  I told Raleigh's parents and left it up to them whether she would visit today.  The vet said as long as Cosi was in the bedroom and I had vacuumed the living room, it was fine.  Raleigh's parents agreed so she is sitting next to me now all cuddled up and warm.  It's beautiful day at last, so we'll be off to an adventure walk soon.

Right now Miss Cosi is cuddled on her upstairs bed having gotten and given love and pets after she settled down.  She really is a love.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I've had more cats than I can count and yet only remember one cat that had the "sesame seeds," perhaps because we always did the de-worming, who knows.  But I like your trick about wrapping them in a towel.  I had to give Kitty an allergy pill every day, yet conditioned her to let me put it down her throat, follow with wet food, and then she'd eat.  Gosh I miss her.  She was a great cat..

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

The towel method that I had learned and that John already knew is so helpful. From what I understand being wrapped up doesn’t just keep cats from clawing or fighting, but also calms most of them because they feel secure in it. Not all cats, of course, but most.

To be honest, it was a little stab in my heart as I remembered John giving the cats pills. He had the magic touch and never even had to use the towel wrap method after the first time or two. He’d cuddle holding the cat like a baby. Then quickly do the head tilt, open mouth, pop in the pill, and that was that. He was like a Svengali to cats. They always seemed under his spell.

That’s completely understandable because he radiated both strength and kindness. It’s just who he was. Not that he didn’t have a temper from time to time, as we all do, but he was never cruel. He was especially kind to animals, children, and those who were vulnerable like my dear grandma who developed dementia in her last years. Up until it was too advanced for her to go out, he continued to invite her to opening nights of shows he was playing that I wasn’t in.

Orchestra members were always given two premium tickets and invitations to the opening night parties. He would invite her personally. We would go to the retirement home (a good one) and pick her up. He would take us out for an early supper somewhere nice and then take us to the theater. Over time he went from being my “nice husband John” to “That nice young man” to “My nice young man.” I remember so clearly that last time when my grandma’s carer pulled me aside to tell me that my grandma had spent a long time fussing and primping and choosing what to wear, all the while talking about how her nice young man was picking her up later. And John, bless his big heart, played right into it. He brought her a pretty rose and went in to get her. The smile on her face as he escorted her out and the tenderness with which he treated her nearly brought me to tears.

It makes me sad that Cosi will never know him. Her first night in the bedroom with me when she sniffed out his old pillow and kneaded on it, I did cry knowing that, even though he developed a cat allergy, he still would have loved her.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Today's update.  Cosi is feeling much better.  Her appetite is back and she asked to (no, insisted on) play this afternoon.

She met the first of my, soon to be her, friends today.  It did not go well.  She was terrified, thrashed out of my arms, and hid.  Not even treats could bring her out.  This is a woman who is kind, loving, and has a cat and dog of her own.  Her dog, Cody, is one of my canine friends.  He thinks I'm just awesome.  I know it wasn't my friend, but rather Cosi's fear and memory.

It hurts my heart so much to know that her previous owners are the cause of this.  At "best," she was neglected; at worst, she may have suffered some abuse.  As I suspected and the vet confirmed, it's going to take her months to get over the trauma of being neglected and abandoned, then 2 weeks with the landlord until he decided he couldn't keep her, then Animal Services, and finally to the private shelter for more than a month.  That's a lot for a cat to handle in her first year.  It's no wonder that she's skittish, fearful of being abandoned, and untrusting. 

So what we're going to do over the next few months is have frequent short individual visits with me in the room so she can learn their voices, movements, and scents.  Over time, I know she will open up and learn to trust them because I trust them, and because she will feel completely secure that I am her forever family.  Raleigh's mom and dad told me how many months it took for her to believe with her whole being that she would never be abandoned, given away, or tossed aside again.  Until then, she was skittish and fearful every time they introduced her to new people.  By the time I met her 5 years after they adopted her, she was the loving, giving, silly sweetheart I know and adore.  They said there were times in the beginning when they couldn't help but wonder if they'd made a mistake, if they weren't the right family for her.  Today, none of us can imagine her with any other family in the whole world.

Tomorrow morning, Cosi gets the run of the house again, which will help.  Right now, she sticks to me like glue when I go in to spend time with her, which confirms my suspicions of her fear.  Sweet, beautiful girl.

• Like 2

• Members

I have a cat.  She is sweet, but I am not a cat person.

There is no possible way I can give this cat a pill.  She has razor sharp claws and teeth.  

When she is happy she will lay on my stomach (I am reclined on my couch or in bed) and she will purr and kneed my stomach or my leg. I will have dozens' maybe a hundred scratches on my skin.  And she is not trying to injure me. 

The thought of trying to grasp her, pry open her mouth and insert my finger in there to push a pill down, is ludicrous. I would be shredded and I doubt the pill would go down.

Several years ago, I had to give her a series of 3 pills for some infection. I ground up a sedative in some wet food, which she mostly avoided, so I kept experimenting with foods to hid the sedative in.  Eventually she was doped up enough that I could get a pill in her.  But she was very lethargic for 20 hours.  The next day I doped her again, but she was even more suspicious of the food. I tried 5 or 6 different trojan horses, so I really had no idea how much of the sedative she ingested, but she gave no resistance to the medication.  The third day, I couldn't find the cat anywhere in the house. She was hiding from me.  She never came out to eat. I don't think I saw her for several days. Anyway I never gave her the third pill because I was never able to trick her to eat the sedative. 

A year or 2 later the vet wanted me to give her some pills for something. I explained to the vet that wasn't going to happen.  She gave the cat a shot and I had to bring the cat back for a second shot. 

This cat is 12 years old but I have only had her for 4 years.  We share a home.  She is content here as long as I don't do anything she doesn't like. (She has made it very clear she doesn't like me to trim her claws.)

I very much admire that you were able get a pill into Cosi. 

Gail

• Like 3

• Moderators
18 hours ago, foreverhis said:

From what I understand being wrapped up doesn’t just keep cats from clawing or fighting, but also calms most of them because they feel secure in it. Not all cats, of course, but most.

Somehow I can't see me doing this to Panther and living to tell about it.  Feral cats are different from domestic.  I'm not sure I'll have cats again but if I do it'd likely be a domestic.  I thought I was just feeding him but no, he's ours, just much more difficult/unique to care for.  One thing is for sure though, him and Kodie sure have a relationship.

10 hours ago, foreverhis said:

She was terrified, thrashed out of my arms, and hid.  Not even treats could bring her out.  This is a woman who is kind, loving, and has a cat and dog of her own.

Sounds like Panther.  Although he did let my five year old grandson pet him...for a second.  That's closer than my cat lady neighbor got (she has a cat rescue and often has 25 cats at any given time). 

I have never trimmed a cat's nails but I do Kodie's every first of the month.  Dogs are very different from cats, they want to please, the cat wants you to please them.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I told the pill story to a friend and relayed how much easier I found it to do the dogs, especially because Keeshonds are family members and bred to be both intelligent and loving. Wrap it in cheese? “Thanks for the treat, mom!” or just give the chew (like heart worm preventive). Yum.

If cheese didn’t work, cuddle, tummy rub, and then quick head back, open jaw, pop it in, and “Good boy!” Follow up with mini treat and done. The dogs think it’s all affection.

My friend replied that this is how we know cats are wilier than dogs. You would never fool a cat that way. So darn true!

Cosi is feeling much better today. I can hear her right now throwing her bell-ball around. We already had a play session with her knit rainbow ribbon wand. As soon as I finish my home physical therapy, I will release her to the whole house.

Starting tomorrow, we are doing short visits with friends one at a time. We’re all pet people, so we all have the patience needed to let her meet and greet and start to trust in her own time. I’m making a bet with myself that Raleigh’s mom is the first to be fully accepted. She simply radiates calm, care, and love. All my friends do, but she’s a level beyond even me.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, foreverhis said:

You would never fool a cat that way. So darn true!

I've never fooled a dog that way either.  They're great at eating the outside and spitting out the pill.  I've always had to resort to putting it in the back of the throat and then QUICKLY following with a treat with the hopes they'll momentarily forget they need to spit out the pill in their eager grasp for the goody!

Good luck with introductions to your friends!  My bet is also on Raleigh's mom. ;)

• Like 1

• Members

Good evening everyone.  Just a super quick check in with a few photos.  It's been a week of "Cosi, why are you so smart?" that I will explain when we're not headed to bed.  It's also been a week of her growing in confidence, tiny bit by tiny bit, and settling in to believing maybe, just maybe, she's home forever.  She's both stubborn and loving, curious and cuddly, and always, always entertaining.

Here's she is again being silly with her rainbow ribbon.  The second is from last night.  For the very first time, she felt completely safe and secure enough to be vulnerable and exposed while deeply dreaming in her downstairs bed while I sat next to her and watched a movie.  Isn't she beautiful?:wub:

Cosi ribbon2.jpeg

Cosi safe.jpeg

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'm so glad you have each other!  I treasure my cuddle time with Kodie and often take the phone off the hook during that time, not that people call, usually unwanted calls, spammers, etc.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Good early evening (my time).  A little update.

First, it was as if a switch flipped in Cosi’s mind last week. Suddenly she realized that she really is home, loved, and that I will never let anyone in our lives who will hurt her in any way. It was a joy to watch her blossom.

Second, I kind of won my bet with myself in that she accepted Raleigh’s mom as family first… but at virtually the same moment she accepted my other dear friend who is becoming her “fun auntie.” And just in time too. These are her carers when I go out of town. I am out of town right now.

This weekend was a long-planned visit to our best friends (sister- and brother-by choice) and our chosen extended family, as well as my sister and BIL. We already moved it out 3 weeks because of weather and for Miss Cosi to settle in. Part of the reason I came up was for a special museum exhibit that is leaving the Bay Area very soon. We made it a city and bay day with my bff, sister, and BIL.

Today we spent the afternoon with other extended family and then had takeout from a favorite restaurant. I’m sitting here now not worrying about Cosi at all. Missing her very much, but not concerned. My friends split care, three times a day play, basic cat needs, snuggles, and a treat. They have both sent pictures/videos and texts.

Cosi is relaxed, comfortable, and has been loving on both of them. That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear. I joked with my other bff up here that it sounds just like when kids stay with grandparents or family friends: They are little angels. It’s only their actual parents they test, frustrate, and in the case of Cosi, go to crazy town. She’s apparently been playful and loving and a really good girl.

One of Cosi’s aunties said she thought it was good that I was having a break. She’s right because I have been laser focused on helping Cosi feel happy and secure, and making the house safe for her.  I spent so much energy and time that I really was in need of a reminder that I am a great cat mom, but that’s not all I am. And I was exhausted.  I also believe it’s good because she needs to know that I will always come home. Every other time she’s been “left behind,” it’s been permanent. 

Sweet, smart, crazy, loving, beautiful girl.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I am so glad!  You planned this out well.  I left Kodie one time and had tried to ensure everything went well, she has a service dog and we did the meet and greet with her dog, well apparently it went differently when I was absent...her dog got aggressive with Kodie and him being so little...anyway she put him in a kennel all day!  Not happy with that, never left him with her again.  I'd been gone three days so could not wait to get him home and give him some assurance and loving.  He was just a baby at the time.

• Sad 2

• Members

Kay, that’s horrible. Give Kodie a big hug from his Auntie (“You’ve never met me, but I love you”) Annie.

I am very lucky that my closest friends at home are either direct neighbors or are less than 5 minutes drive from me. Even before I was thinking about adopting again, I joined the “I would love to get to know and take care of your furry sweethearts” gang. It started with my once a week Raleigh afternoon nearly 4 years ago now. Way back when her human parents both had long days the same day of the week.

Then her dad and I started weekly baking and all have dinner together along with Raleigh hanging with us and her mom joining for dinner and conversation.

I got to be good friends with a number of cats and dogs. It’s sad that we have lost three overall in the last 3 years. Two sweet cats and one rescue pit bull whose only “fault” was sometimes forgetting her own strength and almost knocking us over in excitement for love, pets, and play; all were seniors, but it was still really hard.

We know that we can always count on each other for loving care of each other’s animal companions.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Hi Gail.  You must have been catching my thoughts somehow.  I was just coming to update everyone.

Cosi is doing beautifully.  Oh, she's still young, stubborn, clever, and goes to crazy town as a Bengal (or really any young cat) does.  But she's more open and loving every day.  She's also a "polite" sleeper.  We start the night with her next to me, her paws draped over my arm and her back up against John's pillows.  At some point, I roll over and so does she.  But her love really shows early morning.  She gets up quietly, off her side of the bed, takes care of potty business, eats her kibble snack I put out at bedtime, probably drinks some water, and then plays with her favorite grey mousie.  I usually wake up shortly before the alarm goes off.  By then, she's back on the bed curled next to me.  We have a little snuggle and slow wake up.  Then I get out of bed, scoop her morning pee, see her snack is gone, and find grey mousie on the other side of the room.  So kind of her to let me sleep in like that.  OTOH, I have never given her wet food or treats first thing, so she doesn't expect them.  She gets treats late morning when I "release" her into the house after I do my physical therapy (in the cat free room) and has a small wet meal for lunch and dinner.

What she wants more than anything though is for me to simply "be there" with her.  When I returned from my Bay Area jaunt, she was relieved, mad, and loving all at once.  I believe it's the first time in her life that her human left and then came home.  That seemed to set in her mind that when I leave the room or the house, I'm not leaving her.  So she's easier in herself and her heart is open.  She has also found her voice and has the cutest little meow.  Sometimes the reason is obvious like, "Mom, I got grey mousie stuck under the bookcase/sofa/whatever again.  Help!"  Other times, I look at her and haven't got a clue what she wants, but that's okay.  I'm just glad she found that part of herself.

Now about Raleigh.  Raleigh's dad and I realized they should meet soon because she is basically "calling out" when Raleigh is over.  It's not because she's closed into the huge master bedroom.  She really only does it when Raleigh is here.  And Raleigh keeps looking at me like, "Look, Annie, I know you have a cat now.  I'm okay with meeting her."  So we're going to start a slow introduction period over the next few weeks.  That way, Raleigh and I can still have our "just us" time for most of her visit, but Cosi can come down to cuddle with us in the early evening.  Cosi absolutely adores Raleigh's mom and dad, so that helps because she's been hearing and smelling Raleigh for 2 months now and she smells Raleigh on me and them.  BTW, Raleigh's dad was the first male human she fully accepted.  The little flirt laid on her side and stretched her chest and tummy open for him; LOL.

Right now, she's curled up behind me in her downstairs bed, content, relaxed, and happy.  That's the thing:  She's happy and I don't think she's ever really felt that before in her life.  Even at the wonderful local shelter, where she was treated like a princess (all the animals are treated like royalty), it wasn't her forever family and it wasn't home.  She's home.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I have really hesitated to post this, but it's been on my mind.  It's okay if anyone thinks this is a little too "woo woo" to be real; I won't be offended.  Okay, here goes.

We've talked at times about signs and signals from our soulmates, including companion animals.  I believe these to be real and true.  I know in my heart that every time that first year after we lost him and yet I felt my precious Charlie Bear's nose press against the back of my knee when I was in the kitchen preparing carrots and/or apples, his spirit was there.  He'd always do that to say, "I'm here, mom.  I've got your back if you drop anything."  Funny how I would be so clumsy those times.  I believe that when we felt Penny's spirit, she was there trying to comfort us, John especially because she was his soul cat.  I'm positive that John has sent me signs from time to time when things have been particularly painful.

With that in mind:  Ever since the first day I let Cosi have the run of the house, I've felt Penny here from time to time.  I mean, really felt her.  You know how when a cat or small dog jumps onto the sofa, you can feel it?  You feel the dip and bounce even if you're not looking at them.  When I'm on my laptop, I sit on a big pillow thing in front of the sofa with my computer on the coffee table.  Then I lean my back into the sofa.  I cannot count the number of times when out of the blue I have felt a cat jump onto the cushion behind me.  The first several times, I'd turn to say hi to Cosi, but she was never there.  Not just not behind me because maybe she moved to her bed or the windowsill, but literally across the room or even upstairs.  My heart and mind and the universal faith John and I followed have convinced me that I'm not (quite) crazy.  I believe that Penny's spirit is here to help Cosi and me as we find our way forward together.  Maybe my sweet Lightning, friend Kala (Cosi's fun auntie's cat who we lost last year), friend Booji (Raleigh's feline sister who we lost in 2020) too, but for some reason I sense Penny's presence most of all. 

It's gotten to the point where, when I feel the cushion dip and bounce behind me, that I'll say, "Penny girl, see if you can convince Cosi to whatever-behavior-we're-working-on, okay?" or "Can't you convince the little monster to calm down for a while?  She's been to crazy town all day!" and etc.

Maybe it's just what I want to believe, but maybe not.  My faith tells me that there is so much our human minds cannot comprehend or understand about this mysterious, glorious, wondrous universe of ours.  Why wouldn't it be possible for the ones we love most to be able to (allowed to, perhaps) help us when we need it most? 

Regardless, it gives me a sense of comfort to feel that Cosi and I are not alone as we find our way in this life together.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, foreverhis said:

it gives me a sense of comfort to feel that Cosi and I are not alone

And that's the main thing.  I'm not sure how it all works but I had something happen with George over five years ago and it calmed me when I most needed it, and I cannot explain the how or anything else, not sure if it even fits with my "beliefs" but none of that matters, I only know what I experienced and will never forget it. ;)

• Members

@KayC Thank you, Kay. It means so much to know that you understand. Faith is so hard to define sometimes.

I didn’t use to believe in signs or “visitations” much, though I always believed that our animal companions go to heaven. Truth is that I never even discussed it with our pastors because I didn’t want to hear that our churches at the time (two denominations we were raised in) might have a different view.

John and I talked about it and came to our personal faith that could only believe in a heaven where our animals would be welcome. We believe that in some ways our most special pets are sent to give us a glimpse of the pure joy and love that exists in the universe and in the world and life beyond this one. Perhaps also to help us be our better selves. All I really know for sure is that they bring a joy and fullness to our lives. And perhaps that is enough.

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Truth is that I never even discussed it with our pastors because I didn’t want to hear that our churches at the time (two denominations we were raised in) might have a different view.

I don't care what a church says about it, I know what I believe.  I either don't go there or hold my ground. ;)

15 hours ago, foreverhis said:

they bring a joy and fullness to our lives.

They are amazing beings and I can't think of them not existing.  They are the glue that holds us together in this insane world we inhabit.

• Hugs 2

• Members

Hello everyone.  Just a little check in now that we have a 4 day break in the rain.  We're forecast to have another storm next Tuesday and Wednesday with about 2 inches of rain total.  Then at least a week of fair, if a bit windy and cool/cold, conditions.  Fingers crossed! 

Cosi and I are still working out our life together, of course.  Nothing is ever perfect (purrfect?) with a cat, but she's learning.  Her communication biting is still a bit of an issue, though she's getting better about it.  It's not aggression; she doesn't even break my skin.  I have learned that it is a typical form of Bengal communication.

I have changed her diet again in order to help her take off the extra 1.1-1.2 lb she put on.  She needed to gain about a pound when I adopted her, so I let her go to town for the first 6-7 weeks.  Then the little sneak started conning me out of extra kibble portions and packed on some extra pudge. 

I'm encouraging her to be active--not that she needs much help with that most days, switching her to a leaner kibble (and less overall), and have increased her high-quality wet food meals.  So far, so good, except that she tends to act as if I have starved for her weeks at least part of every day.  Once she's to her healthy 9 lb (or so) weight, I'll add back in a little extra on her most active days.

Today's funny story:  I was cleaning the house a couple of weeks ago.  She was bored and wanted my attention. 

Bengals are one of the vocal breeds.  They don't generally yowl like Siamese, but they "talk" a lot.  Multiple sources have mentioned how they basically like to have "conversations" with each other and their humans.  For sure Cosi is developing her own vocabulary (almost typed "vocatulary" LOL) with tiny little mews of love, a low meow when she wants quiet time, insistent meows for attention, and mutli-calls in different pitches when she wants me to come to her.  Today I realized that she seems to have a specific call when she's just buried a poo in her covered litter box.  She's as fastidious as I am when it comes to litter box cleanliness.  It didn't click for me until I got the small "whiff, whiff" that she let's out a high-pitched series of calls when she's done that.

Anyway, back to the story.  She started talking and talking to let me know, "Mom, stop dusting.  Start snuggling!"  So I put down the duster and went over to where she was settling down into her bed.  Bengals are not usually "lap cats" when young, but they are quite friendly and affectionate.  This was her reaction when I sat next to her on the sofa and put my arm out for her to cuddle.  So sweet.:wub:

Cosi cuddle me1.jpeg

Cosi cuddle me2.jpeg

• Like 4

• Members

Hope your doing well, love the cat pictures...I miss my cat.  Been watching all the crazy weather across the USA.  Yesterday we had bad storms here...high winds and lots of rain. More rain coming next week.  What is going on with all this crazy weather.

Heard today on the weather channel that 23 people died in Mississippi due to the same storm that passed over me.  Please pray for those families.  We know what they will be going through.  

We will keep a watch over you...send more pics of Cosi.🙂

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, foreverhis said:

(almost typed "vocatulary" LOL)

I love it! My poor Panther lost his vocal chords to the smoke last summer, all he can do is squeak, but I'd know his squeak anywhere.  Poor baby.

14 hours ago, Deborah_M said:

Heard today on the weather channel that 23 people died in Mississippi due to the same storm that passed over me.  Please pray for those families.

OMG!  Will pray.  I have my hands full with the 26" of heavy wet sludge (snow) I got in three days...5" more to shovel. No end in sight!
Annie, glad you're getting a break from the rain!

13 hours ago, Gator M said:

On the heaven front, there may not be pets in heaven

Pets go to heaven
We Will See Our Pets in Heaven: The Afterlife of Animals from a Biblical Perspective: Burgess, Brian: 9781478716976: Amazon.com: Books

I could not bear not seeing mine again.  "The lion will lay down with the lamb..." So why not my Arlie and Kitty? (Doesn't require a response...I do not go for that kind of thinking, I just can't.

My pastor had two Bengals, they were great cats! One was shy but the other would come around and be affectionate.

• Hugs 2