Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Is anybody getting worse?

LMR

• Members

Thank you all for listening. I'm hopeful that I will hear about counseling soon. It has already been two weeks, but that's nothing here, there are waiting lists for everything.

@HisMunchkin I'm not sure a diary will help because I feel this way constantly, I'm just suppressing it as much as I can but I will bear it in mind. Thanks

• Hugs 4

• Members
HisMunchkin
1 hour ago, LMR said:

I'm not sure a diary will help because I feel this way constantly,

What is "this way"?  Can you describe it?  And what are thinking when you feel "this way"?

• Sad 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
13 minutes ago, LMR said:

Desperation is the closest I can get. I NEED him.

Yearning.  I get it. 

Are there times when you feel something else?

14 minutes ago, LMR said:

Tonight the main thought in my head is " I want my mum". My mum died over 40 years ago.

More yearning?

• Like 2

• Members
HisMunchkin
2 hours ago, LMR said:

No, I think my mind has gone back to being a child and wanting mum to hold me and make it better.

Of course what I want more is my husband to hold me.

Are you feeling lonely in general? 

• Like 1

• Members
9 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

Are you feeling lonely in general? 

No, not lonely in general but I have to put on the smiley face if I see someone and its just so exhausting. I just want to go to sleep and not wake up.

• Hugs 3

• Members

I've been reading through old posts. A comment ftom "WithoutHer" struck me...

" this isn't life, its just passing the time"

• Hugs 2

• Members
ThereIsAField

Do you think grieving has maybe morphed into grieving plus depression? Maybe it's time to consider an anti-depressant in addition to counselling?

• Like 4

• Members
27 minutes ago, LMR said:

stuck, yes. I don't want to " move on". I don't want another life without him. 

I just got an appointment for 25th, so not too long to wait.

That's good to hear. My feeble suggestion is that you'll need to be a bit patient with whoever you meet because they will have so much to catch up on with your history and your current state. That's the one thing overall that is so very difficult in these situations. The therapist is meeting for the first time this person in grief that they have no idea who or what they're about and there's only so much time in that first session that can be revealed. I truly hope it goes as well as possible for you. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 hours ago, LMR said:

I just got an appointment for 25th, so not too long to wait.

I'm so glad, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

• Like 2

• Members

I've been sitting thinking about what to say to the counselor. What do I need? Where do I want to be? I don't have any answers but I realised that I don't want to be happy, it would feel like betrayal.

Is this how others think?

• Hugs 4

• Moderators

An article similar to this one helped me.  It's not betrayal to have happy moments, in fact it's to be coveted.

Smile Permission
I don't know how counseling is over there but saying a prayer for you...the counselor should be able to direct you, if not, try another. 🥰

• Like 2

• Members

Yes , sometimes when I have been busy she's slipped from the front of my mind I feel guilty when her absence drops back on me with a thump. I flop back and forth unsure . A crazy thought comes to me that I am resisting forward movement, it feels like a betrayal and disloyal , which of course it is not, it can't be. She would want me to be happy(of course that makes me feel guilty also) and I am failing. Feels like I am failing her but she is gone and all I have is memory, perhaps I am only failing myself but I can't seem to be myself without her. I miss her more and more.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, shawnt said:

Feels like I am failing her

Just remember, feelings are not facts.  Feelings are here for us to contend with whether good or bad.

• Like 2

• Members

Agreed. Thank you for reminding me that life is for the living. This day , this moment is what I have now, for good or not, the choice is mine. If I am strong enough I can choose joy more often.

Any minute now I am going to be a grandfather . It does fill me with wonder and happiness but also sorrow because my Suzy would have been over the moon with joy and she will be absent. I have to embrace the one and learn to bare the other without it robbing my life of its fullness.

I can't wait to share the world with a young child who sees it all thru innocent eyes.

• Hugs 3

• Moderators

That  child will be a blessing in your life!  I loved when my grandchildren were babies/toddlers, I spent countless hours reading to them!

• Like 2

• Members
6 hours ago, LMR said:

I've been sitting thinking about what to say to the counselor. What do I need? Where do I want to be? I don't have any answers but I realised that I don't want to be happy, it would feel like betrayal.

The one good thing about seeing a counselor is that you don't really need to prepare for it. Basically, you've been dealing with and working through your tremendous loss for well over three years. With meeting a counselor (who hopefully specializes in grief and loss), you get to hand it over to them because they usually have an inner compassionate drive to help a broken-hearted griever. A great deal of grief counselors have had their own experiences with heavy loss. The clients they take on is like being with someone they know. They know your heavy heart and they know you haven't any answers....just like so many of us here know. All that you need to do is express what your heart needs to say. The sessions that I had with my counselor gave me the chance to tell it from my heart to someone who listened and acknowledged. That was something that I really needed after everyone else in my life got tired of hearing it.

• Like 4

• Members

Thank you Kay for the link. Not feeling guilt is easier said than done. He was my whole life and it doesn't seem fair if I should get more happiness that he cannot share.

2 hours ago, shawnt said:

Yes , sometimes when I have been busy she's slipped from the front of my mind I feel guilty when her absence drops back on me with a thump

Shawnt, I haven't yet reached the stage of him slipping from my mind. Even if I find something to keep me busy he is still in my thoughts, almost like a split personality.

45 minutes ago, DWS said:

The sessions that I had with my counselor gave me the chance to tell it from my heart to someone who listened and acknowledged. That was something that I really needed after everyone else in my life got tired of hearing it.

I think that's what I need too. 

• Like 2

• Members
1 hour ago, LMR said:

I think that's what I need too. 

For sure....our broken hearts still need to be heard years after. Time may take away the rawness but it's not that good at taking away our continual emotional emptiness and pain.

For instance, this past week we had above average warm temperatures for early spring in Ontario. I had the window down while driving in the city and could hear the sounds and excitement of typical spring....but for me, this will be the third spring season and upcoming summer without my partner. It hurts just like it did the last two. My partner Tom was an avid runner so he would be in his absolute glory right now being able to run on the city streets and pathways without worrying about icy spots and if he would be dressed warm enough or too warm. Off he'd go on these runs and be gone for at least an hour to hour and a half. Any time it got later than that, I'd start to get concerned but then shortly thereafter, there'd he be...all excited to show me where he ran on his phone app that outlined a map of his whereabouts. I would marvel at the parts of the city he managed to venture to. I imagine now that I will always hold this twinge of sadness when spring arrives. I used to love this time of year. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

I have to echo, and agree with, some of the comments here that say allowing happiness into my life feels disrespectful to Veronica, although intellectually, I know that is not what she would want.  I guess I am having more not-so-bad days than sucky days.  I am able to smile at people when I am out and about.  The sadness is the overriding emotion these days.  The sharp pain of Veronica’s loss has dulled quite a bit.  I have even started thinking I may need to start putting away some of her things, but in my mind, I cannot do any of that until after June, after her 1 year anniversary.  Seems kind of silly to impose a target date on myself, but it gives me a reference for getting something, anything done.  My sisters have asked me when I might go to TX to visit them, and I tell them possibly around August or September, after Veronica’s anniversary.  And even then, in my mind, I am convinced I have to be back by Sunday to go sit with her in the afternoon.  I’m sure my mind and my heart will figure  something out by then.  🥲

• Hugs 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Sar123 said:

I have had teddy bears made out of my husband’s sweatshirts for each of my grandsons. Today L, the 2 year old, was playing with the bears and he laid down with them and fell asleep. I eventually want to make a book  with pictures and stories about him so they can know about their other grandpa.

My father passed away when I was 7 months pregnant with his first grandchild (he had one that died in a car accident and another they raised and adopted because my sister became quadriplegic in the same accident).  It was important for me to pass on the heritage of my dad with my kids who never met him.  I told them stories about him, how proud he'd be of them...how he'd love my daughter's personality, how he'd be proud of my son's accomplishments, etc.  My son had my dad's antique piggybank and his bathrobe when he was old enough as he expressed interest. 

I'd never thought of having George's clothes made into something because I didn't hear of that in the first year and I donated them to Sponsor's, a place that helped inmates getting out of prison adjust to life outside, they get out with the clothes on their back and have to earn the right to be helped in this way, it's a structured environment with a set time they have to be in, they get counseling, help finding jobs, etc.  He had a friend that was a counselor there and would often give rides to down and outers.  I knew this is where his heart was, he was such a caring person.

• Hugs 3

• Members
22 hours ago, shawnt said:

Yes , sometimes when I have been busy she's slipped from the front of my mind I feel guilty when her absence drops back on me with a thump. I flop back and forth unsure . A crazy thought comes to me that I am resisting forward movement, it feels like a betrayal and disloyal , which of course it is not, it can't be. She would want me to be happy(of course that makes me feel guilty also)

Shawn:  I've had similar feelings to the way you've expressed it. How many times I've wished that I could get some feedback from Chris as to how I've been running things (especially when it comes to taking care of our son). Lately, I feel as if I've drifted off into this neutral zone (accepting this new normal as "normal", but at the same time not thrilled to be feeling this way).

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

No, I think you explained it well, I will answer this in the spirituality section.

6 minutes ago, HisMunchkin said:

Do none of you feel that your partner's heart is breaking seeing you upset?  And then feel guilty for that?  I was just thinking today - if it were me who had died and if I could see what my husband has been up to.  If I saw him suffer like I've been suffering, that would be extremely painful for me.  On the other hand, if I saw him heal day by day and start picking up the pieces of his life and enjoying it, that would make me feel so relieved.  He didn't like seeing me upset when he was alive.  I don't think he would like seeing me upset if he's able to see me now.  Every step of the way, I still talk to him in my head.  I still carry him in my heart.  When I have moments of joy, even though they've been very rare, he's on my mind.  I feel as if I'm sharing the joy with him.  Kind of hard to explain. 

• Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer
16 minutes ago, HisMunchkin said:

Do none of you feel that your partner's heart is breaking seeing you upset?  And then feel guilty for that?  I was just thinking today - if it were me who had died and if I could see what my husband has been up to.  If I saw him suffer like I've been suffering, that would be extremely painful for me.  On the other hand, if I saw him heal day by day and start picking up the pieces of his life and enjoying it, that would make me feel so relieved.  He didn't like seeing me upset when he was alive.  I don't think he would like seeing me upset if he's able to see me now.  Every step of the way, I still talk to him in my head.  I still carry him in my heart.  When I have moments of joy, even though they've been very rare, he's on my mind.  I feel as if I'm sharing the joy with him.  Kind of hard to explain. 

Vickie knew me very well and I think she would be quite understanding of where I am emotionally right now. She went through grieving several times while with me due to various family losses. But she had me with her while doing so and said so much during those times. I believe she knows the what and why of how I'm currently feeling and doing it alone. The day will come that I start addressing the things around here that are just as she left them. When that comes she will be with me comforting and understanding.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
widower2
6 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

I get that, and wonder about it myself. I agree with Kay though, that gets into an area best discussed waaaaaaaaaaaaay over at this section of the site.  :)  

• Like 2

• Moderators
widower2
8 hours ago, HisMunchkin said:

The point was, why feel guilty for feeling joy?  

Oh I guess I misunderstood you...I was saying sometimes I feel bad about feeling bad, because I know that might cause her to feel bad if she knew that

• Like 3

• Members
WithoutHer
1 hour ago, LMR said:

We all know that but it doesn't stop the tears.

So true 😢

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
HisMunchkin

If you are able to find moments of happiness, enjoy it to the fullest.  I'm sure my husband would want that. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, shawnt said:

Maybe that has been the secret all along. Live in this moment. Not the past, not the future , right now.

Definitely.  Remember the good parts of the past, and have hope for the future, but live in the now so you don't miss the good that is.

• Like 3